Chauncy: "Knicks need more team, not more stars!"

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/tomasson/2011/06/29/billups-wants-more-team-not-more-stars/

Cavet before we start, Billups would be the odd man out in the event that we did land say a Chris Paul or Deron Williams, I suspect if we somehow got Dwight Howard next year Billups would sign for the vet min and would probably feel that we have all we need to be a championship team!

Yet, I do not think this is where he is coming from!

This is a proven winner in this league telling us the fans (who crave the stars so much) and managment who want the stars to generate revenue (although winning teams will make money too!!)

In the article the comparison with The Heat and The 2004 is made, rememeber them? A super team put together that was going to be completley unstoppable, yet they get taken out (pretty easily) by a unit of players who knew their role.

Now at the time Detroit had a couple of All Stars (four to be exact) yet none of them were superstars, that team drew lots of comparison to our last Championship squad that boasted 3 All stars and had key players who know their roles.

The Knicks have 19 million in cap (assuming the cap is the projected 62) and 21 if they don't pick up Douglas' option the Knicks can either add one superstar and sign Feilds for the leftover change or plug wholes

I would rather us make runs at Javelle McGee,Mickeal Pietrus,Matt Barnes, Shannon Brown, DJ Augustine etc. basically players who round out the team

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
NO! Let me break it down, you're talking about pieces fitting together and everyone doing a bit of this and a bit of that right.....
well, all of those players put together wont contribute as much as a CP3 or D12 can do on their own. again it goes back to my point in another thread we need specific skill sets to round out this team. 1-defense/rebounding or 1a-a pure distributor who can CONTROL the game (no one is better at this than CP3)

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/tomasson/2011/06/29/billups-wants-more-team-not-more-stars/

Cavet before we start, Billups would be the odd man out in the event that we did land say a Chris Paul or Deron Williams, I suspect if we somehow got Dwight Howard next year Billups would sign for the vet min and would probably feel that we have all we need to be a championship team!

This is a proven winner in this league telling us the fans (who crave the stars so much) and managment who want the stars to generate revenue (although winning teams will make money too!!)

In the article the comparison with The Heat and The 2004 is made, rememeber them? A super team put together that was going to be completley unstoppable, yet they get taken out (pretty easily) by a unit of players who knew their role.

Now at the time Detroit had a couple of All Stars (four to be exact) yet none of them were superstars, that team drew lots of comparison to our last Championship squad that boasted 3 All stars and had key players who know their roles.

The Knicks have 19 million in cap (assuming the cap is the projected 62) and 21 if they don't pick up Douglas' option the Knicks can either add one superstar and sign Feilds for the leftover change or plug wholes

I would rather us make runs at Javelle McGee,Mickeal Pietrus,Matt Barnes, Shannon Brown, DJ Augustine etc. basically players who round out the team

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
CB is not our longterm solution at PG and we should not really care what he wants. I know the OP stated the obvious about CB being on the short end of a CP3 acquisition but that fact can't be ignored.

Kiyaman

Legend
Billups would like to be surrounded with "team-players" for
the remainder of his NBA career as a player (3 years).

List of team-players that are not stars
But play hard on both ends of the court

Players like Maynor & TD at the point
Harden & Fields at the SG
Prince & W.Chandler at the SF
Gibson & Big Baby at the PF
Marc Gasol & Lopez at the Center

Half of the NBA star-players come with to
much damn baggage within their performance.
Amare is a 25/8 player that refuse to play the PF position
Carmelo is a 25/6 player that dont participate on defense

CP3 will leave the "ownerless" Hornets to win a
Championship Ring with Dwight Howard.

New New York

Quiet Storm
NO! Let me break it down, you're talking about pieces fitting together and everyone doing a bit of this and a bit of that right.....
well, all of those players put together wont contribute as much as a CP3 or D12 can do on their own. again it goes back to my point in another thread we need specific skill sets to round out this team. 1-defense/rebounding or 1a-a pure distributor who can CONTROL the game (no one is better at this than CP3)

none of those players would amount to the impact that D12 would bring, he is simply that dominate.

But I would take a solid group of players along with Melo and Stat over Paul

just my opinion

Howard has already stated that he would not play for a team that resides in cold climates. I highly doubt he will play for the Knicks.

We already have 2 great players. We just need decent role players...that our coach will play. D'ant plays a small rotation so a deep bench will just go to waste.

New New York

Quiet Storm
CB is not our longterm solution at PG and we should not really care what he wants. I know the OP stated the obvious about CB being on the short end of a CP3 acquisition but that fact can't be ignored.

does not mean what he says is not true....and again the Lakers/Heat anology can't be ignored.

moneyg

Starter

i think billups is right... first we already got two stars.... new york.. you make a good point.... if we go after a mcgee and others... we can always swing a trade for a cp3 or d12 or simply trade away a player for and expiring and draft picks to get under the cap.. just because we sign a player to a long term contract doesnt mean we can get rid of him before the end of the sesan.. like we did with felton

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
does not mean what he says is not true....and again the Lakers/Heat anology can't be ignored.

Meh, if we can get D12 or Cp3 but pass that up to get 3 role players I think that is the WRONG move. Both of the bring superstar power while FILLING needs. Using the Heat as an example...they made it to the finals in their first year together and almost certainly will have a few rings. I'll take that!

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
i think billups is right... first we already got two stars.... new york.. you make a good point.... if we go after a mcgee and others... we can always swing a trade for a cp3 or d12 or simply trade away a player for and expiring and draft picks to get under the cap.. just because we sign a player to a long term contract doesnt mean we can get rid of him before the end of the sesan.. like we did with felton

This right here. McGee addresses a HUGE need for us that IMO is our top. He's 7', blocks shots, can rebound, & runs the break.

Wargames

Starter
I agree with Billups but unless he can put up a successful year running the point I think his argument will fall on deaf ears with the FO and the fans.

On the flip if he does do well next season (whenever that is). Could see the Knicks keeping him and focusing on D12 or maybe picking up a collection of good/better players and trying to make a run at it. 2012 has a lot of potential for the Knicks to improve their team greatly.

KingCharles34

All Star
Everybodies gonna jump on the Mavs bandwagon since they won a 'ship?

smh the Lakers of last year and they 08 celtics woulda sh*tted on dallas

I still think they had some luck on their side, the Lakers are a lazy team. Who knew Gasol and Odom weren't gonna show up for the series? Not to mention, Kobe's knee is bone to bone

Chauncey, i respect u but your a fool if you think your in the long term plans. Peace out, welcome Christopher Paul

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Meh, if we can get D12 or Cp3 but pass that up to get 3 role players I think that is the WRONG move. Both of the bring superstar power while FILLING needs. Using the Heat as an example...they made it to the finals in their first year together and almost certainly will have a few rings. I'll take that!

I would like to agree but, as much as I hate to say it, Miami's two best players are great at both ends of the floor. STAT n' Melo have only established themselves on the offensive end.

Not hatin,just sayin.

With the makeup of our core group, going for defensive solid role players is the way to go since STAT n' Melo need all the help they can get to be a good defensive squad. Just like dallas did with Dirk.
:2cents:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I would like to agree but, as much as I hate to say it, Miami's two best players are great at both ends of the floor. STAT n' Melo have only established themselves on the offensive end.

Not hatin,just sayin.

With the makeup of our core group, going for defensive solid role players is the way to go since STAT n' Melo need all the help they can get to be a good defensive squad. Just like dallas did with Dirk.
:2cents:

They are also not complimentary to one another like a combo of Melo, STAT and either D12 or CP3. That 3 is better than Miami IMO. I understand what you are saying but defensive role players can always be found, what can't always be found is a superstar like D12 or CP3. (D12 is a monster defender and CP3 is decent) D12 would instantly give us the best front court in the NBA (probably of all time) or CP3 would just make Melo and STAT monsters while also breaking down the D and scoring himself. How anyone could advocate passing up one these players over filling out our squad with role players that can be found AFTER is beyond me. It's not like these players are in the twilight of their careers leaving us with a short window to build around them. They are all in their prime and even if it took 3 years to round out the roster we would still have plenty of prime years for our "big 3" along with a complete squad.

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
They are also not complimentary to one another like a combo of Melo, STAT and either D12 or CP3. That 3 is better than Miami IMO. I understand what you are saying but defensive role players can always be found, what can't always be found is a superstar like D12 or CP3. (D12 is a monster defender and CP3 is decent) D12 would instantly give us the best front court in the NBA (probably of all time) or CP3 would just make Melo and STAT monsters while also breaking down the D and scoring himself. How anyone could advocate passing up one these players over filling out our squad with role players that can be found AFTER is beyond me. It's not like these players are in the twilight of their careers leaving us with a short window to build around them. They are all in their prime and even if it took 3 years to round out the roster we would still have plenty of prime years for our "big 3" along with a complete squad.

BRAVO!:beer: Rounding out the rest of the squad with defensive players would be great, but adding a superstar in CP3 would be phenomenal. He's already said he would take less money to win now, not five or six years down the road before its to late. Chris Paul's assists would touch uncharted territories. Pick N Roll with Amare and then the 'best' scorer in the game on the wing? Come on now.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

I think Amar'e becomes 30 by next year. 31 by 2012 when we have a chance to sign CP3. Melo wil be 28 or 29. Almost the same ages when the Big 3 of Boston got together.

Hmmmmm. But I agree with you that a combination of CP3/D12 +STAT n' Melo does complement each other beter compared to Miami's current Big 3. But if CP3 decides to come here, he'll have to take a huge paycut as Amar'e and Melo's salaries are as high as Wiz Khalifa.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think Amar'e becomes 30 by next year. 31 by 2012 when we have a chance to sign CP3. Melo wil be 28 or 29. Almost the same ages when the Big 3 of Boston got together.

Hmmmmm. But I agree with you that a combination of CP3/D12 +STAT n' Melo does complement each other beter compared to Miami's current Big 3. But if CP3 decides to come here, he'll have to take a huge paycut as Amar'e and Melo's salaries are as high as Wiz Khalifa.

CP3 will be available at the trade deadline this season and possibly D12 as well. Amare will be 29 in November and Melo just turned 27. They are certainly in the early stages of their prime years with many (injuries aside) years to come. Getting a CP3 or D12 in February or next summer affords them years of prime to play together and years to acquire role players. Again, role players are easy to acquire but superstars are not. Further, role players will flock to the Mecca to play with a core like that.

P.S. KG and Allen were 31 when they arrived so Amare, Melo, CP3/D12 will all be younger. That said, they did win a ring and have been dominate for years. I'll take that considering we have not won since the early 70's of have been dreadful for the last 10 years.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
CP3 will be available at the trade deadline this season and possibly D12 as well. Amare will be 29 in November and Melo just turned 27. They are certainly in the early stages of their prime years with many (injuries aside) years to come. Getting a CP3 or D12 in February or next summer affords them years of prime to play together and years to acquire role players. Again, role players are easy to acquire but superstars are not. Further, role players will flock to the Mecca to play with a core like that.

Let's assume that CP3 or D12 is available by the trade deadline. Who are we going to give up to get either one. Chauncey+Douglas/Fields for arguably the best point guard right now/ Reigning 3-time defensive player of the year, Best Center in the game today? I don't see New Orleans ir Orlando biting on that. Not right now. Sorry

P.S. Boston had an obnoxious first 5 in Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Let's assume that CP3 or D12 is available by the trade deadline. Who are we going to give up to get either one. Chauncey+Douglas/Fields for arguably the best point guard right now/ Reigning 3-time defensive player of the year, Best Center in the game today? I don't see New Orleans ir Orlando biting on that. Not right now. Sorry

Well thats a whole other debate...the ability to actually acquire these players is very different that not wanting them over role players. We should be able to sign CP3 outright in FA next summer as long as the new CBA doesn't eff us. Most likely we trade with NO this year and aquire CP3 and take on Okafors big contract. I for one think Okafor would compliment Amare upfront nicely and fills a need so I don't mind that at all.

P.S. I think CP3 is much more likely than D12.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Well thats a whole other debate...the ability to actually acquire these players is very different that not wanting them over role players. We should be able to sign CP3 outright in FA next summer as long as the new CBA doesn't eff us. Most likely we trade with NO this year and aquire CP3 and take on Okafors big contract. I for one think Okafor would compliment Amare upfront nicely and fills a need so I don't mind that at all.

P.S. I think CP3 is much more likely than D12.

lol
My bad. That is a topic for another day.
Adding CP3 and Okafor to Stat n' Melo would be crazy.
Amar'e plus Okafor would rape young adolescent boys all day, everyday( no homo)

P.S. No Homo