Rank your current top 10 point guards.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
This brings me to one of my reasons for not caring about his assists totals. I know he finds his teammates open and everything. To me, teams are way too worried about Garnett, Allen, and Pierce, which allows Rondo to get to do a lot more. In the 2008-2009 season I was watching the Nets play them, they literally let him go to the basket with ease. I didn't understand it at all. It wasn't even like another Celtic was on fire.

The same thing happened in the Playoffs with us. The commentating was brutal. They kept saying he was so great around the basket and all, but it was the horrible defense. When Anthony Carter FINALLY got his chance, Rondo couldn't do squat against him.

To me, it is good to not defend Rondo a lot, you also have not give their big three that kind of respect anymore. They're good, but they're not that good now.

He's gets those high percentage shots not because of his great scoring prowess, he gets them because he's wide open. He gets those assist totals because he'd be taken out of the game if he tried much of anything else.
Teams give Rondo a window to shoot because it kills Boston's offensive flow.

When we did it, we were able to stay in the game with Boston.

When we closed out on Rondo, even though he didn't score, he set up Ray Allen in particular who was shooting over 50& from three.

So pick your poison........

A 50% layup from Rondo or.......

an uncontested jumper most likely a three from Pierce or Ray.

Rondo is a good pg, plain and simple.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Teams give Rondo a window to shoot because it kills Boston's offensive flow.

When we did it, we were able to stay in the game with Boston.

When we closed out on Rondo, even though he didn't score, he set up Ray Allen in particular who was shooting over 50& from three.

So pick your poison........

A 50% layup from Rondo or.......

an uncontested jumper most likely a three from Pierce or Ray.

Rondo is a good pg, plain and simple.
He is. As I said, I won't say he's not good.

We played bad defense on Allen. We could have significantly reduced Allen's open shots while not letting Rondo do that much. Of course not having Billups and Stoudemire hurt us. We could have done a lot more if we were a good defensive team.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Assists are a good way to judge a PG though, which should be one facet they should excel in, and the main area a fan should look.

And what he is DOING is setting up his team mates for easy ways to score on offense.

And on defense he is getting a very good amount of steals and rebounds.

Personally I could care less that Rondo can't shoot, because he usually just takes the high % shot anyway.....a driving layup.

this is the right kind of thinking on rondo..

he's one of the best pgs in the league.

Last edited:

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
this is the right kind of thinking on rondo..

he's one of the best the league pgs in the league.

Yeah if not THE BEST. Why? Cause he is the best defensive PG in the league and the best passer in the league. Ok Nash averaged more assists (barely 0.2 more to be exact), but Suns play at much higher pace which means there are more posessions for Nash to record an assists. Also Rondo averaged more than 12 assists per game when he got injured in the regular season. He is not the best shooter, but shoots high % from the field because he rcognize this and attacks the basket all the time.

Imagine him playing for the Knicks...oh boy...we would be instant 50 win team. He is so much better than that overrated pussy Billups who chucks 3's all the time and can't even average 6 assists per game for his career.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah if not THE BEST. Why? Cause he is the best defensive PG in the league and the best passer in the league. Ok Nash averaged more assists (barely 0.2 more to be exact), but Suns play at much higher pace which means there are more posessions for Nash to record an assists. Also Rondo averaged more than 12 assists per game when he got injured in the regular season. He is not the best shooter, but shoots high % from the field because he rcognize this and attacks the basket all the time.

Imagine him playing for the Knicks...oh boy...we would be instant 50 win team. He is so much better than that overrated pussy Billups who chucks 3's all the time and can't even average 6 assists per game for his career.
Nash lead the Suns to 40 wins without Amar'e last season. Rondo isn't in the same league as him. Nor is he close to Paul and Deron Williams.

I'll take Billups over Rondo any day of the week.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer

double-facepalm.jpg

la2ny

Starter
top 10 now:
1.Chris Paul
2.Deron Williams
3.Steve Nash
4.Derrick Rose
5.Rajon Rondo
6.Jason Kidd
7.Russell Westbrook
8.Chauncey Billups
9.John Wall
10.Andre Miller

All time:
1.Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
2.Oscar 'Big O' Robertson
3.Isiah 'Zeke' Thomas
4.John Stockton
5.Jason Kidd
6.Steve Nash
7.Gary 'The Glove' Payton
8.Walt 'Clyde' Frazier
9.Nate 'Tiny' Archibald
10.Mark 'Action' Jackson

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Current:

CP3
D Rose
D Williams
Westbrook
Rondo :barf:
Nash
Wall

All Time/those past their prime.

Magic
Stockton
Kidd
Nash

I don't really consider Zeke a prototypical PG. Too hungry. Joe Dumars' numbers would be talked about more if Thomas was truly pass first. That, and he (Isiah) is a dog poo.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Nash lead the Suns to 40 wins without Amar'e last season. Rondo isn't in the same league as him. Nor is he close to Paul and Deron Williams.

Wow. Come on dude.. You can't say you'd take Billups over Rondo. That's nonsensical.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Wow. Come on dude.. You can't say you'd take Billups over Rondo. That's nonsensical.
Why? Billups spreads the floor for our superstars, also has had a better career. Rondo is a liability. People forget what Billups was doing before he got injured in Orlando.

And people talk like Rondo's career has been better than Nash's, despite Nash being somewhat in his prime. Does anyone honestly believe Rondo could have lead the Suns to 40 wins?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Why? Billups spreads the floor for our superstars, also has had a better career. Rondo is a liability. People forget what Billups was doing before he got injured in Orlando.

And people talk like Rondo's career has been better than Nash's, despite Nash being somewhat in his prime. Does anyone honestly believe Rondo could have lead the Suns to 40 wins?

Don't see any reason why not. He's one of the best PGs in the league and that's a FACT.

knickscity

Benchwarmer

Billups doesn't spread the floor at all.

Actually he puts his team in a defensive liability by launching all those ill-advised walk up threes.

Plus his defense at his position is deplorable now.

As far a the Nash and Rondo comparison.

Rondo is better than Nash now, but Nash is still pretty good in his age.

They both setup team mates well, but Rondo plays defense, while Nash can still hit an open jumper.

I take defense from my point any day of the week.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Billups doesn't spread the floor at all.

Actually he puts his team in a defensive liability by launching all those ill-advised walk up threes.

Plus his defense at his position is deplorable now.

As far a the Nash and Rondo comparison.

Rondo is better than Nash now, but Nash is still pretty good in his age.

They both setup team mates well, but Rondo plays defense, while Nash can still hit an open jumper.

I take defense from my point any day of the week.
Well I didn't like the threes Billups was taking after the injury. He should have been pass first.

Actually I do understand why people would like Rondo more than Billups on our team. I'd take a healthy Billups over Rondo. He spreads the floor with his threes when he's healthy enough to mix it up.

Nash isn't as good at defense as Rondo, and Rondo is a good passer, so I understand where you're coming from kinda. Nash is still far better imo. Give me Nash and a good defensive coach, get some defensive players, and opponents would be in misery.

Red

TYPE-A
This has nothing to do with an attempt to provoke a reaction from Trillion does it?

I like Billups but he aint top 10.

Nash has to be number 1 for me. Best PG to watch on the floor still. Best pass in the league and can elevate his team when needed far more consistently than any other PG mentioned.

Nope.

Besides Rondo & Kidd, who lead their team to a championship, who else can say that in the "top ten"?

Not:
Paul, Williams, Nash, Miller, Rose, Westbrook, or Wall.

We can argue all we want especially when we specify; pass 1st or best passer assist/to ratio, shooter, most athletic, etc...

But I'll take the battle-tested, proven WINNER ala Derek Jeter. Not the "best" in any category but is proven to get it done...

With ego driven, older teammates none the less.

Yup ima take Billups, and really I can only complain about his large contract. And if we're talking Rondo his playoff #'s include 14pts, 9+ast, and 5+reb

With a championship under his belt early, you can't really beat that nor expect more (and he has room for improvement). And if I'm right he lead the league in steals.

His #'s from game 7 in the Finals were:
21pts, 8ast, 7reb, and 6steals.

But yeah give me the battle-tested vet who makes the right decisions and commands respect.

Billups & Rondo are proven. All this hype about Paul and Rose etc... is just that until I see them perform under the biggest spot lights.

Yeah I'll take Billups or Rondo

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nope.

Besides Rondo & Kidd, who lead their team to a championship, who else can say that in the "top ten"?

Not:
Paul, Williams, Nash, Miller, Rose, Westbrook, or Wall.

We can argue all we want especially when we specify; pass 1st or best passer assist/to ratio, shooter, most athletic, etc...

But I'll take the battle-tested, proven WINNER ala Derek Jeter. Not the "best" in any category but is proven to get it done...

With ego driven, older teammates none the less.

Yup ima take Billups, and really I can only complain about his large contract. And if we're talking Rondo his playoff #'s include 14pts, 9+ast, and 5+reb

With a championship under his belt early, you can't really beat that nor expect more (and he has room for improvement). And if I'm right he lead the league in steals.

His #'s from game 7 in the Finals were:
21pts, 8ast, 7reb, and 6steals.

But yeah give me the battle-tested vet who makes the right decisions and commands respect.

Billups & Rondo are proven. All this hype about Paul and Rose etc... is just that until I see them perform under the biggest spot lights.

Yeah I'll take Billups or Rondo
I don't agree with the champion theory. It depends on who your teammates are too. Jason Kidd didn't win a championship 'till he was 38. I agree in the sense that, these players delivered when they were on the biggest stage, but don't be surprised about your confidence when you have a team to be confident in. Well, every player should be confident in their team, you get my point. And you're job is obviously gonna be less hard with great players around you.