Pablo Prigioni - Euro PG

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Yeah, yeah. Another one of those "potential Knicks backup PG" threads.

I saw this guys vid and all I can say is WOW. I can't help but imagine him passing the rock to Amar'e or TC. The guy's passing skill and court vision is superb. He may just be the perfect backup PG for our Knickerbockers.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Tough call, I agree with your assessment of "may just be" because it's difficult to say. Looks great, looks like he'd be real fun to watch especially with some of our current players, but I'm kind of sick of watching highlight vids to judge, too one sided, almost every 2nd round draft prospect looks like a stud based on highlight vids, when realistically I know we'll be lucky to get a top 9 rotation player. How will his game translate to the NBA? Speeds different? He likely makes more in Spain than we could offer, would he need to be bought out like Rubio... etc Lot of questions, could be a good fit but I just can't say

Yeah, yeah. Another one of those "potential Knicks backup PG" threads.

I saw this guys vid and all I can say is WOW. I can't help but imagine him passing the rock to Amar'e or TC. The guy's passing skill and court vision is superb. He may just be the perfect backup PG for our Knickerbockers.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
My bad... as I see more about this guy he's 35, so I would guess his experience would translate halfway decent, can his body hold up to the schedule? Guess is he wouldn't be out of our price range though.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Seems there has been a meeting with he and Grunwald also, MeloforMayor, you might well have had the jump on the first player movement news of the next season! Well done! Still no idea what to think or expect, and having dinner we clearly know from recent years doesn't mean pen to paper, but sounds like there is some seriousness anyhow, and I think a seasoned vet that knows how to win (regardless if in Spain) could be helpful, provided he isn't another oft-injured pg option

tiger0330

Legend
Very timely thread MFM. Looks like Bibby won't be back next season, Knicks are pulling out all the stops trying to find talent with our cap issues.

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2012/6/19/3095969/the-knicks-met-with-pablo-prigioni
Good morning, friends. Here's something that trickled out last night (I first saw it in this Spanish report by way of Alan Hahn) and can be found in the usual sources this morning. It seems the Knicks spent some time last week courting Pablo Prigioni, a 35 year-old Argentinean point guard in the twilight of a decorated career in Spain. Marc Berman reported on the meetingthis morning:
Prigioni, who played last season in Spain for Unicaja Laboral, had a two-day visit, dinner with Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald and coachMike Woodson.
Prigioni, considered a good passer and clutch shotmaker, will square off against Team USA at the London Games next month.
His Spanish team, a source said, is offering him a one-year deal. The Knicks likely would want him for either the $2 million lower exception or $1.4 million veteran?s minimum.
Prigioni is open to the NBA after spending his entire career in Europe. He has been on the Knicks? radar before. Back in 2009, then team president Donnie Walsh and Grunwald investigated signing Prigioni. But now he?s three years older.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
I (and you, probably) have seen Prigioni play in international competition before, and I've been watching some YouTube clips this morning. He's a solid passer and a menacing pull-up shooter, and would probably be well out of New York's price range if he wasn't on year seventeen of his professional career. If the Knicks feel he's got the legs to play some back-up guard minutes for the veteran's minimum, I'd be totally cool with that signing. It'd be like having Mike Bibby around again, only better, less irrationally averse to giving high-fives, and with an accent (and, unfortunately, fewer silly walks).
Most of all, I continue to be delighted by the Knicks' pursuit of talent from abroad. First we heard they wereinquiring about Mirza Teletovic, then there was the workout of Salah Mejri (which may or may not have actually happened), and now we've discovered that they went so far as to wine and dine Prigioni (and I hope and assume they actually took him to Clyde's Wine and Dine. Courting a point guard prospect without taking him to Clyde's, feeding him some catfish po' boys, dousing him in "Stumbling and Bumbling" ****tails, and introducing him to the legend would be a tremendous waste of resources). We all said at the beginning of the summer that Grunwald and company would need to get creative to improve the roster with scant funds (we're still waiting on the outcome of the arbitration, just to answer that question before someone asks it), and following up on some overseas scouting-- scouting that's been ongoing for years-- strikes me as a worthwhile and appropriately creative endeavor. I just can't believe they haven't tracked down Spanoulis yet!

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
35 years old, well if were looking for an old PG i'd be more comfortable with a guy like Fisher who's a proven NBA player.

Iv'e seen clips of pablo prigioni, most of the clip is him passing, but how's his defense? and other parts of his game. If we win the bird rights case i wouldn't mind signing this dude to vet min as a 3rd string PG for us

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Very timely thread MFM. Looks like Bibby won't be back next season, Knicks are pulling out all the stops trying to find talent with our cap issues.

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2012/6/19/3095969/the-knicks-met-with-pablo-prigioni
Good morning, friends. Here's something that trickled out last night (I first saw it in this Spanish report by way of Alan Hahn) and can be found in the usual sources this morning. It seems the Knicks spent some time last week courting Pablo Prigioni, a 35 year-old Argentinean point guard in the twilight of a decorated career in Spain. Marc Berman reported on the meetingthis morning:
Prigioni, who played last season in Spain for Unicaja Laboral, had a two-day visit, dinner with Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald and coachMike Woodson.
Prigioni, considered a good passer and clutch shotmaker, will square off against Team USA at the London Games next month.
His Spanish team, a source said, is offering him a one-year deal. The Knicks likely would want him for either the $2 million lower exception or $1.4 million veteran?s minimum.
Prigioni is open to the NBA after spending his entire career in Europe. He has been on the Knicks? radar before. Back in 2009, then team president Donnie Walsh and Grunwald investigated signing Prigioni. But now he?s three years older.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
I (and you, probably) have seen Prigioni play in international competition before, and I've been watching some YouTube clips this morning. He's a solid passer and a menacing pull-up shooter, and would probably be well out of New York's price range if he wasn't on year seventeen of his professional career. If the Knicks feel he's got the legs to play some back-up guard minutes for the veteran's minimum, I'd be totally cool with that signing. It'd be like having Mike Bibby around again, only better, less irrationally averse to giving high-fives, and with an accent (and, unfortunately, fewer silly walks).
Most of all, I continue to be delighted by the Knicks' pursuit of talent from abroad. First we heard they wereinquiring about Mirza Teletovic, then there was the workout of Salah Mejri (which may or may not have actually happened), and now we've discovered that they went so far as to wine and dine Prigioni (and I hope and assume they actually took him to Clyde's Wine and Dine. Courting a point guard prospect without taking him to Clyde's, feeding him some catfish po' boys, dousing him in "Stumbling and Bumbling" ****tails, and introducing him to the legend would be a tremendous waste of resources). We all said at the beginning of the summer that Grunwald and company would need to get creative to improve the roster with scant funds (we're still waiting on the outcome of the arbitration, just to answer that question before someone asks it), and following up on some overseas scouting-- scouting that's been ongoing for years-- strikes me as a worthwhile and appropriately creative endeavor. I just can't believe they haven't tracked down Spanoulis yet!

I gotta say, reaching out to the international market is a smart move by the Knicks, knowing that we're all tied up with our ****ty salary situation.

Off topic, How's you make some of the words into web links, my man? Looks pretty damn cool.

CoolClyde

the Prigger!

Pablo_Prigioni.jpg

in keeping with Knicks pursuit of over-the-hill players, why not?
the Prigger seems to have exceptional skills, will they translate to NBA speed and talent?
may very well be Ricky Rubio Sr...

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I just don't see it. Euro PGs are something that would interest us if MDA were still coaching, but with Woody I think we should be looking around the NBA for some veteran ballers.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
TommyBeer: Only if he promises to say thank you RT @NYPost_Berman: #Knicks still serious about PG Pablo Prieioni and probably will make an offer today

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman
Sport Newspaper Ole journalist just spoke to agents and says Prigioni has #Knicks offer and plans to accept it.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

Well, at 35 I hope he's worth it. I really think we're in dire need of a 3rd PG. Just for injury insurance.

He is savvy apparently.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Crazy⑧s;241377 said:
^

Well, at 35 I hope he's worth it. I really think we're in dire need of a 3rd PG. Just for injury insurance.

He is savvy apparently.

If he is effective in running the point guard duties, I expect Kidd to slide to the SG spot occasionally seeing as we have a big gaping hole (giggity) at the 2-spot.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
This should be interesting, now they have replaced our Italian: Prieironi for Gallinari, now they will do the pizza shows again with Tina Cervasio.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Crazy⑧s;241377 said:
^

He is savvy apparently.
LOL, paradox of plenty. :lol:

Paul1355

All Star
I would rather have Prigioni as a 3rd string than Mike James.

Prigioni is known for his court vision and we do need a 3rd PG for injury insurance.

I also believe if we don't pick up a decent 2 guard that Kidd will play big minutes at the 2 and they will have Prigioni get decent minutes until Shump comes back

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Pablo Prigioni is a Knick dont know contract details but word around is he has signed with NYK

I know they were offering one-year deal worth roughly the veteran’s minimum salary of $1.3 million

not sure if that is the deal tho

Paul1355

All Star
Pablo Prigioni is a Knick dont know contract details but word around is he has signed with NYK

I know they were offering one-year deal worth roughly the veteran?s minimum salary of $1.3 million

not sure if that is the deal tho

most likely vet minimum, we cant offer anything more

But if we got someone in teh NBA, we can do a sign and trade