Why is the media underrating & undervaluing our players again this year?

I know we lost plenty in the Melo deal. But after that trade was consummated those kids went out there and played some serious ball. Easily helped Denver get a playoff birth out west. Before the trade our players werent good enough to net Melo.

Now I hear the same garbage again. The Knicks dont have enough to get CP3. Why? Billups a wily vet. TD gets better every season. Some draft picks and the Hornets are compensated well enough for a player that's going to leave the first chance he gets. Then they get nothing.

Wargames

Starter
I know we lost plenty in the Melo deal. But after that trade was consummated those kids went out there and played some serious ball. Easily helped Denver get a playoff birth out west. Before the trade our players werent good enough to net Melo.

Now I hear the same garbage again. The Knicks dont have enough to get CP3. Why? Billups a wily vet. TD gets better every season. Some draft picks and the Hornets are compensated well enough for a player that's going to leave the first chance he gets. Then they get nothing.

I hear you. i still say they should take Turiaf, TD, Billups, and a future Pick. Billups and trade Ariza with CP3 to save that money from his contract.

The honest truth I read somewhere was that out of all the teams that lost stars last year the Jazz did the best. They moved their star for prospects instead of trying to get a fair price of current players.

If NO was smart it would take cap relief along with as many first rounders as it could squeeze out of the Knicks. This is even more true with the change in the rookie scale. If Paul really said NY or no where else its not possible to get equal value since where not trading a star player. they should just clear the books as much as possible and Ariza is their prime suspect to move.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
^^ We have no picks before 2016 and I can't imagine the Hornets would take that.

@Clyde: you're right, maybe we doesn't have a lot of assets we could trade, but let's take Douglas for example. He's fast, has very good dribbling skills, create space easily and is an incredible three point shooter. The only problem is he's inconsistent. Last season we got lots of negative PR on Gallo, but I still remember him blocking Melo and shooting a three over Bullups:

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd every single game night if they played some D.

Kiyaman

Legend
It has been the history of the Knicks vs media when the Knicks have a poor
coaching-staff that cant get on the same-page the media direct the Knicks
problems towards the low value of the Knicks players.

The re-hiring of coach Hubie Brown proved the media wrong twice.
Coach Pat Riley proved the media wrong, and coach JVG proved the media
wrong. This is why so many Knicks star players (Reed, McAdoo, Cartwright,
King, Ewing) refuse to speak with the media on a daily basis.

Kiyaman

Legend
^^ We have no picks before 2016 and I can't imagine the Hornets would take that.

@Clyde: you're right, maybe we doesn't have a lot of assets we could trade, but let's take Douglas for example. He's fast, has very good dribbling skills, create space easily and is an incredible three point shooter. The only problem is he's inconsistent. Last season we got lots of negative PR on Gallo, but I still remember him blocking Melo and shooting a three over Bullups:

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd
every single game night if they played some D.

That video of Knicks vs Nuggets and previous videos of Knicks vs Nuggets game
showed how Melo always takes his time getting back on defense where Chandler,
Harrington, and Gallo all had 30 point games vs Melo the past 3 seasons.

Gallo shooting a 3 over Billups proved why Melo never made it pass the first
round until Billups came to Denver....Billups knew he had to defend Melo's
man in a transition, its funny b/c Billups rarely had to defend Prince or RIP's
man on a fastbreak or transition in Detroit.
The each season improvement of "Gallo & Chandler" at the SF spot equal
above the high scoring superstar Melo performance.
PG-Billups wouldve luv having Gallo & Chandler at the SF-spot with Amare &
Turiaf at the PF-spot.

CA7

Scoring Champ
That video of Knicks vs Nuggets and previous videos of Knicks vs Nuggets game
showed how Melo always takes his time getting back on defense where Chandler,
Harrington, and Gallo all had 30 point games vs Melo the past 3 seasons.

Gallo shooting a 3 over Billups proved why Melo never made it pass the first
round until Billups came to Denver....Billups knew he had to defend Melo's
man in a transition, its funny b/c Billups rarely had to defend Prince or RIP's
man on a fastbreak or transition in Detroit.
The each season improvement of "Gallo & Chandler" at the SF spot equal
above the high scoring superstar Melo performance.
PG-Billups wouldve luv having Gallo & Chandler at the SF-spot with Amare &
Turiaf at the PF-spot.

Shut the hell up, no PG would want Gallo and Chandler over Melo on top of that Melo plays D its just he's relied upon so much to score, on top of that Melo has preached he will get better defensively, I'm sick of fans talking about how they miss Gallo and Chandler, they are not franchise guys PERIOD, Melo is a Franchise Player an Elite Player if you want Gallo and Chandler back go be a Nugget fan stop complaining and watch this man do work because all New York fans seem to do is point of the negatives in a player, how about the fact that Gallo was 6'10 yet couldnt bang with big men like Melo, 6'10 but average less rebounds than Melo who's 6'8, you talking blocks and shots, Melo hit the game winner over Danny Granger then blocked his attempt to seal the win, when the week prior Shawne Williams let Granger score over him, Melo had no help game 2 and had 42pts, 17rebs and 6ast, Gallo and Chandler would def have done that, so all you complainin about "giving up too much", take that Knicks squad and see how many more years of mediocrity and wishful thinking about which max players will come here, we got 2 Franchise Guys and a legit all star MVP point guard, 2 defensive rookies, an energy big, 2 more solid guards and a coach who knows O and one who knows D, we have a good team and will get better, so stop complaining and be ****ing patient

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Kiyaman: some numbers - Anthony with the Knicks: 6.7 RPB, 3.0 APG, 0.6 BPG and 26.3 PPG; and Wilson and Gallo combined (sharing time) when Knicks: 10.7 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.8 BPG and 32.3 PPG.
Which means Raymond made better numbers than Billups does, Fields played better before the trade, Amare still does his job and Melo does less than our two medicore small forwards combined. Nuggets before the trade: 0.561; after: 0.720 (including beating Celtics, Spurs, Lakers and Mavericks).

@CA7: said million times already, we know Anthony is your guy and we know this team is rebuilding, but it still seems: we played a bit better before the trade and Denver exploded and made a run to the playoffs when they got rid of CA and signed our medicore players... This season is crucial, I dont't trust CA and just two big games of 32 he played doesn't look good, so he better proves he's worth every penny of his contract.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
@Kiyaman: some numbers - Anthony with the Knicks: 6.7 RPB, 3.0 APG, 0.6 BPG and 26.3 PPG; and Wilson and Gallo combined (sharing time) when Knicks: 10.7 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.8 BPG and 32.3 PPG.
Which means Raymond made better numbers than Billups does, Fields played better before the trade, Amare still does his job and Melo does less than our two medicore small forwards combined.

@CA7: said million times already, we know Anthony is your guy and we know this team is rebuilding, but it still seems: we played a bit better before the trade and Denver exploded and made a run to the playoffs when they got rid of CA and signed our medicore players... This season is crucial, I don't trust CA and just two big games of 32 he played don't look good, so he better proves he's worth every penny of his contract.

Its 2 completely different situations, Denver was full of role players who play off of eachother so of course they were gonna be a little better and the only reason the Knicks had trouble was because of inconsistencies from Fields, we had Jeffries at Center, D'Antoni wouldnt play Turiaf enough, Shawne Williams only shot 3's and STAT started feeling banged up.

I still dont see how guys want Chandler and Gallo instead of Carmelo its just absurd and the fact that guys want Raymond Felton the guy who got torched by Jameer Nelson 2 years ago in the playoffs instead of a proven vet and Finals MVP who's game is still at a great level because he relies on smarts is just foolish too, and now we have Jerome Jordan who should be more of what we need than Timofey Mozgov.

Wargames

Starter

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd every single game night if they played some D.

If CP3 is basically saying NY or Bust it makes more sense for NO to get something for him better than a cap hold if he just walks. Anyhow talking about the Knicks for the Nuggets give Gallo, Chandler, & Felton credit they use to go hard in those games to try to show there was no need for a trade. Gallo would damn near maul melo going for rebounds... Good times

:afro:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Wilson and Danilo have been both drafted by the Knicks, which for many fans means something and makes them hope these young players could one day lead the franchise to the top the same way some of their predecessors have done. If you think Knicks you think Reed, you think Frazier or Ewing, which all have been drafted by the Knicks. Another point is, both Chandler and Gallinari have never ever complained or blamed the franchise, coaching staff or their teammates, when they screwed they said "we screwed", when they said "we love New York" they didn't mean extra $$$ and celebrity life, but the city and its people. For many of us it seemed they were not guys playing for Knicks to earn millions of dollars and get into the spotlight; they were like mates you can bump onto somewhere in the city and have a chat. Everybody feels sad when his friends got to leave and that's how many Knicks fans felt when Gallo and Wilson moved to Denver.

Knicks#7

Rookie
I dont understand how so many people can hate on Melo. He needs to stop talking, sure, but that's the majority of the players now. We struggled to score when we had Gallo and Chandler whenever Stat needed a break. How can anyone think we are a better team before Melo????? We need a COACH 1st, and some key role players. But we really need a COACH

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We were a better team before the trade because everyone knew each other, some players were Knicks since 2007 or 2008, after arrival of Amare and some new pieces in the offseason of 2010 the team had a full training camp including a trip to Europe plus several preseason games. They were fully integrated at the beginning of the regular season and they knew how to run the system. Throughout many games after the trade Anthony tried to do what he does best: playing isolation and that's why it looked like he stops our offense where we used to watch quick SSOL plays. And therefore I expect the franchise to sign all missing pieces on December 9, so they have a bit more than two weeks to gel, get used to each other and the new assistant coach that runs some good defense, so they are ready to face the Celtics on the Christmas Day.

+ I don't hate Anthony, I just don't trust the guy, I give him credit but expect some major progress; less talking and more playing. I know he's a superstar and he gets lots of attention, but it's hard to replace certain players many fans loved to watch.

Knicks#7

Rookie
I can understand the trust concept, I surely don't trust our coach. I hope we can put the work in on defense and make sure our players are not logging heavy minutes and also finding some BIGS to man the middle and we can play with anybody

iSaYughh

Starter
Five Reasons:

i) Dolan rightfully gets little respect, and every trade he makes, especially one that it appears he tinkered with, will get extra scrutiny and no benefit of doubt.

ii) nyc haters; ESPN, for instance, stipulates in their workers' contracts that they have to get on their knees for a blowup doll of Paul Pierce once a month, during the days their menstrating.

iii) superficially, DEN did really well after the deal, we "struggled" (struggled relative to a team who was supposed to have gotten the king's side of a trade). in reality, the players we lost were better than people gave credit for, especially Gallo, and on an already incomplete roster, we lost starters who had been developed to work as a unit and had gelled nicely.

iv) dogma. a lightning rod for our team is that we will always suck at D because of MDA; a lightning rod surrounding Melo is he sucks at D; after the deal, every focus was on our tandem of Amare and Melo and their was a vortex of fodder for people to harp on and focus upon, all negative.

v) it's an easy bitch move to shit talk and second guess stuff in a herd with herd mentality. aka sports writers.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
^^

- many fans forget about other pieces of the trade. We traded four startes making some nice numbers and except of Anthony and Billups got plenty of useless bench players plus almost immidiately we waived the only defensive minded player that was involved in that trade: Corey Brewer.
I'm almost sure that if Dolan kept his hands off the basketball operations the trade would never happen and his call to make this deal done was probably the reason Walsh decided to rather to leave than resign.

- the Nuggets got rid of their trash players (except of two major pieces) and got four young and talented guys that can further develop, besides Felton who's been sent to Portland they are absolutely glad with the ex-Knicks and are highly interested in resigning Chandler when he comes back from China, I won't be surprised if him and Gallo would make some nice numbers this season.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Who were their four young and talented guys?

They got Wilson Chandler, Gallinari, Mozgov, and...Felton?

Felton was solid for us but let's be honest the kid was playing WAYYY over his head for the first part of the season. His jump shot was amazing, and once it started coming back down to where his career numbers were, he started sucking and chucking.

Mozgov is lucky if he's going to be anything better than a career benchwarmer.

I like Wilson Chandler but we couldn't have kept him anyway. If we wanted to sign Melo as a free agent we would've let WC go.

Gallinari is the only one I seriously miss a lot - he was an amazing 3-point shooter who could get to the free throw line. The draft picks might hurt, though.

mafra

Legend
^^^

Gallinari is what he is. Has potential to be a legit star in the league. Not a top 10 player, but a really good #2 option on a team. At worst, he's a 15 ppg guy. I buy into his potential. He is competitive, not afraid to take the final shot, & can shoot the 3 like a SG (but he's 6"10').

Felton is much younger than Billups. Not the same "clutch" player, but really was giving no dropoff from CB in the marathon that is the reg. season. Plus a safer bet to stay healthy. A leader, and another team-orientated warrior.

Gallinari & Felton reinvigorate Karl. AFter the likes of JR Smith & Kenyon Martin... A breath of fresh air.

Wilson Chandler is inconsistent, but he's another 2-way player than can take over games for spurts.

THE MOZ is looking really good in Russia right now. Reports out of DEN say Karl is loving what he's seeing. Kid is young and a true 7-footer. Mean streak. Soft shooting touch. Not crazy to think his best basketball is ahead of him.

THAT's 4 players DEN got for a dude who was gone anyway. I do believe our talent was underrated last year. I mean, they acted like the Nets had a package that was light years ahead of ours? Really?

NOW... THIS TIME... I cannot blame the media reports. I mean, Landry Fields looked lost last year when 'Melo arrived. He was a non-factor in the playoffs. His suprising season might be chalked up the the D'antoni system and the fact we had no other viable option.

I'm really high on Tony Douglas. WATCH, this guy is healthy right now. He put on muscle. Dude is going to be really good. Still, he's a role player. PLay defense, hit the 3... all that. I think he's going to be a Chris Childs type player. Not the star you build a package around. Shumpert is unproven. A rookie.

If NYK could have kept either Gallo or The Moz, then I believe we would have enough.

Gallinari or Mozgov
Douglas
Fields
Shumpert
2016 1st

This probably gets deal done, especially if Paul says trade me to NYK or lose me next July.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I'm still floored at how much we gave up Melo......and giving up a 6 foot 10 shooter? smh.....

I dont want us making any big moves, we have nothing to give up and CP3 isn't even what we need anyway.

Wargames

Starter
Honestly the best chance we have at a deal is if Chris Paul stays adamant that its the knicks or no deal. Then we can throw in a future pick and try to trade some players for another pick. After that just offer cap relief to NO because the Knicks have justifiable ??? Around the rest of the younger team player.

Then the question NO has to decide is do they make the smart move or make the cavs move. With the NBA as NO owner I think they bite the bullet & use the league influence to help the Knicks get a first rounder to sweeten the deal. I mean the knicks got a first rounder for Anthony Randolph. The knicks should be able to pull a 2012/2013 pick.

:afro: