Should we bench Shumpert?

KingofNy

Starter
I am rewatching the game as hard as that is and I'm noticing when our bench goes into the game, our lead evaporates/disappears. What about bringing in Shump off the bench to help keep our leads and get some energy off the bench? I'm not saying to give him less minutes, just change when he plays those minutes.

At one time today we had lineups of: Douglas, Fields, Walker, Jorts, Jeffries. That lineup is terrible and leads to no scoring except for the occassional Jorts/Bill Walker 3. I think if we run with a lineup of Bibby, Shump, Novak, Jorts, Jeffries off the bench we'll get more scoring from that unit than our current usage of the bench.

I dunno, something needs to change. I hate seeing us play like crap and guys like Lin and Novak never see the floor. Especially in a short season with so many back-to-backs, why is Antoni running such a short rotation. That's probably another issue with this team, they're all beat up from being overused. Ugh this team is full of problems.

Anyways what do you guys think about bringing Shump in as a 6th man?

smokes

Huge Member
I am rewatching the game as hard as that is and I'm noticing when our bench goes into the game, our lead evaporates/disappears. What about bringing in Shump off the bench to help keep our leads and get some energy off the bench? I'm not saying to give him less minutes, just change when he plays those minutes.

At one time today we had lineups of: Douglas, Fields, Walker, Jorts, Jeffries. That lineup is terrible and leads to no scoring except for the occassional Jorts/Bill Walker 3. I think if we run with a lineup of Bibby, Shump, Novak, Jorts, Jeffries off the bench we'll get more scoring from that unit than our current usage of the bench.

I dunno, something needs to change. I hate seeing us play like crap and guys like Lin and Novak never see the floor. Especially in a short season with so many back-to-backs, why is Antoni running such a short rotation. That's probably another issue with this team, they're all beat up from being overused. Ugh this team is full of problems.

Anyways what do you guys think about bringing Shump in as a 6th man?

We don't usually play that lineup it's only because of STAT being in foul trouble. Usually we have STAT or Melo on the floor for most of the game.

Bench Shumpert and Fields and start who? Douglas and Walker?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
We don't usually play that lineup it's only because of STAT being in foul trouble. Usually we have STAT or Melo on the floor for most of the game.

Bench Shumpert and Fields and start who? Douglas and Walker?
Bibby and Walker.

Would prefer Bibby and Balkman, but Balkman can't even make the rotation for some asinine reason.

KingCharles34

All Star
I would start Bibby and Shumpert. They really need to run more plays to get Bibby open, they're not using him right. Cant use Baron Davis as an excuse for a lack of an inside outside game

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I would start Bibby and Shumpert. They really need to run more plays to get Bibby open, they're not using him right. Cant use Baron Davis as an excuse for a lack of an inside outside game

I mean, Mike Bibby used to be one of the better P&R players in the NBA, having used the P&R to great effect in Sacramento. Kinda sad to see him a shell of his former self - but you're telling me that a former All-Star PG and the most physically dominant PF in the game can't run an offense? Come on. I feel as if Mike Bibby could do worlds better than Shumpert.

With regards to Shumpert...I think he'll do OK, but he needs to stop shooting as much.

The funny thing is we bring up all those ideas of what should be done, but at the end of the day we all know too well that D'Antoni will still be in charge come the last game of the season and we'll finish with a 0.500 record +/- 1%, just like last season. With no homecourt advantage we'll be done after 4 or 5 games again.

We've had so many changes over the last 2 years, but the outcome is always the same with D'Antoni at the helm.

Conclusion: It doesn't make a damn difference whether Shumpert starts or not.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dont get ANGRY....FIRE Dantoni

The funny thing is we bring up all those ideas of what should be done, but at the end of the day we all know too well that D'Antoni will still be in charge come the last game of the season and we'll finish with a 0.500 record +/- 1%, just like last season. With no homecourt advantage we'll be done after 4 or 5 games again.

We've had so many changes over the last 2 years, but the outcome is always the same with D'Antoni at the helm.

Conclusion: It doesn't make a damn difference whether Shumpert starts or not.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Stat & Melo have to step-up their game with owner Dolan to get Dantoni out
of NY. The isolation plays played-out with Isiah's "Marbury & Crawford".

There is no reason why veteran-Bibby is not our starting PG for the first 6
minutes of the first quarter. The first quarter should be the only quarter we
focus all our energy on the offensive-end of the court.

Our tight 66 game schedule says we should be using our bench frontcourt
Bigs of "C-Jordan, PF-Jorts, and SF-Balkman" in our every game rotation in
lineups with our Big-3 frontcourt Tyson/Stat/Melo to defend, box-out,
blockshots, foul, and to create screens and picks for our scorers on every
offensive possession. Our offense is WEAK b/c we dont use our bench bigs
for high-screens/low-screens/and offensive-rebounding.
FIRE Dantoni

Kiyaman

Legend

Untill we get a decent veteran SG....Landry Fields is our starting SG.
TD & Shump should start the 2nd quarter of every game to build a co-existing backcourt off the bench

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree with starting Bibby for at least the first 6 min of the game. Shump and TD as reserves could possibly work better with backcourt pressure and decent scoring for the 2nd unit with either Amare or Melo still on the floor.

I know Bibby is not the player he was some years ago but he still understands the pg position better than any active player we currently have. I think if he's able to just be himself, he could be more effective. Antoni prefers him as a 3pt shooter (no surprise there) but allowing him to build chemistry with Amare would be vital until Baron is ready.

I also agree that Balkman has deserved some minutes each game. He may not have a great offensive game but no one can deny his hustle and sense of movement without the ball. He also has no problem attacking the rim. Balkman knows his role and is content on doing the little things. I'm not a fan of him shooting 3s but we all know everyone has the green light to shoot it in this system.

The regulars on KOL know i'm anti-Antoni, but even I can admit everything is not his fault. Some of our players have bad habits that need to be addressed. Still, we have a bunch of money tied up in 3 guys and there's not enough more to get an impact player anytime soon. The core players on this team have been set and will be here a few more years. If its not working then a coaching change has to be made. This doesn't guarantee instant success but a different voice seems to be needed at this point.

We're forgetting that Antoni was mainly brought here to showcase exciting basketball (win or lose) while the team was in flux and lure top FAs. That's it!

skisloper

Starter
Coaches job to eliminate those bad habits....

When orland is shooting 3 pointed with such a high percentage there is no reason not to put a guy like balkman . He has long arms and can be a big defender hustle guy....

When we hit a low in the game we need energy but STUBBORN Dantonio just crosses his fingers and closeshis eyes and assumes his original game plan will see him through.....
Even in this short condensed season he cannot change......

I assume this homestand will be the deciding point if he stays or goes....

Icing on the cake will be if Denver humiliates us on our homecourt.....That would be enough for Dolan to fire Dantonio rather then think he traded too many players for melo....

iSaYughh

Starter

When orland is shooting 3 pointed with such a high percentage there is no reason not to put a guy like balkman . He has long arms and can be a big defender hustle guy....

When we hit a low in the game we need energy but STUBBORN Dantonio just crosses his fingers and closeshis eyes and assumes his original game plan will see him through.....

Icing on the cake will be if Denver humiliates us on our homecourt.....That would be enough for Dolan to fire Dantonio rather then think he traded too many players for melo....

I agree.

I think the implications of this game could be very understated, and profound.

KingofNy

Starter

I honestly think that Dolan thinks not having an offseason is going to be reason enough not to fire Dumbtoni and just let his contract run out. I hope to God that's not true, but every game I watch that horrible guy coach our team, the more I want to break something.

I think temporally starting Bibby might be the answer to fix the scoring problems of our second unit. We need fire off of the bench and I think Shump can give us that as long as he's dishing and swishing, rather than banking and clanking. Had to throw a Cyldism in there...lol