my opinion about the knicks and the future.

ANU

Starter
i know some would feel indifferent to this question, cause in the end we all just want our team to win a championship, but what would the difference in your opinion between "buying" a franchise player or acquiring one through draft/trade? would it make you fell like less of a true fan if we "bought" one?i know i would.

i believe that the term "true" is a better adjective when describing the knicks history and tradition, as opposed to the yankees.

when we thinking about knick players, we always reverted to the same type of players that have poured their heart and soul to win for this city.

we all know them; patrick, oak, and starks, hell even sprewell. those guys are are "true" knicks. you know, those blue collar/punch you in the mouth types in the vein of reed and debusschere, that played with their heart on their sleeve, all for the glory of this city.

to me those guys are true knicks.that's what the knicks are about, tough,tenacious won't take no shit, battle till the end types, and to me that's what the knicks will always be.that's what it was when frazier lead us to 2 championships; that's what it was when ewing led knicks battled the bulls till the end, and that's what it will always to me.

i can honestly say that the impending free agent free for all situation will make me feel like less of a fan, cause it'll feel like we're trying to buy a championship.i'd prefer if the knicks did it the "right" way as opposed to that.

the right way to me is getting that 11 guy that'll endear most nyc basketball fans to the game and the team again,and bring forth a new era for nyc basketball, and return glory to the mecca, like bird did in boston, like jordan did in chicago, like magic did in la.we need to get that 11 guy, we can call our guy, who we'll see blossom into a legend that we'll talk about till we're old.

i think it would be more satisfying for me as a knick fan if that 11guy isn't a madison avenue mercenary, and i know it would for a lot of you as well.

just needed to let that out.:boohoo:

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6484

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
i know some would feel indifferent to this question, cause in the end we all just want our team to win a championship, but what would the difference in your opinion between "buying" a franchise player or acquiring one through draft/trade? would it make you fell like less of a true fan if we "bought" one?i know i would.

i believe that the term "true" is a better adjective when describing the knicks history and tradition, as opposed to the yankees.

when we thinking about knick players, we always reverted to the same type of players that have poured their heart and soul to win for this city.

we all know them; patrick, oak, and starks, hell even sprewell. those guys are are "true" knicks. you know, those blue collar/punch you in the mouth types in the vein of reed and debusschere, that played with their heart on their sleeve, all for the glory of this city.

to me those guys are true knicks.that's what the knicks are about, tough,tenacious won't take no shit, battle till the end types, and to me that's what the knicks will always be.that's what it was when frazier lead us to 2 championships; that's what it was when ewing led knicks battled the bulls till the end, and that's what it will always to me.

i can honestly say that the impending free agent free for all situation will make me feel like less of a fan, cause it'll feel like we're trying to buy a championship.i'd prefer if the knicks did it the "right" way as opposed to that.

the right way to me is getting that 11 guy that'll endear most nyc basketball fans to the game and the team again,and bring forth a new era for nyc basketball, and return glory to the mecca, like bird did in boston, like jordan did in chicago, like magic did in la.we need to get that 11 guy, we can call our guy, who we'll see blossom into a legend that we'll talk about till we're old.

i think it would be more satisfying for me as a knick fan if that 11guy isn't a madison avenue mercenary, and i know it would for a lot of you as well.

just needed to let that out.:boohoo:
The Celtics won 24 games, the next year they traded for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, then they won a championship and have been dominate ever since. The same can happen here.

mafra

Legend
According to lore, the only reason the KNICKS got Ewing was b/c Stern rigged the draft lottery. How does that make you feel about the PE era?

Earl Monroe & Charles Oakley were both brought in via trades (without either piece neither era's are quite as asuccessful as they turned out to be).

Hye, I grew up watching Rory Sparrow and Benard Kind. I went bonkers when we finally drafted PGs that could play (Mark Jackson & Rod Strickland).

Right about now, in this age of free agenecy, I could care less how we become relevant. As someone cited above (look at BOS). NO matter who we gte, our future success depends on Gallo, Hill & Douglas anyway. They must be big parts of something, or else we are doomed for more of nothing.

Torp

Benchwarmer
I agree 100% (IN THEORY AT LEAST LOL...). I mean to say that I know where you are coming from and I too have thought the same thing you are thinking.

But after so many consecutive losing seasons, we are put in a tough situation.

Yes i feel it will not be the same as the Ewing era. I will cheer on the knicks always, but i won't feel that same connection with "non-true knickerbockers" as you would say.

I do feel this connection with some of the current knicks crew however. Nate and Lee especially. And Harrington truly truly loves being in new york. I don't think I've ever seen anyone more excited to play in the NY uniform and that makes me happy. I want people on my team to be passionate about the team and the city they play for. THAT is a true knickerbocker to me; Regardless of if they are traded or where they come from. So that is why I may be alright with any 2010 trades, as long as I see the heart from those players.

Paul1355

All Star
According to lore, the only reason the KNICKS got Ewing was b/c Stern rigged the draft lottery. How does that make you feel about the PE era?

Earl Monroe & Charles Oakley were both brought in via trades (without either piece neither era's are quite as asuccessful as they turned out to be).

Hye, I grew up watching Rory Sparrow and Benard Kind. I went bonkers when we finally drafted PGs that could play (Mark Jackson & Rod Strickland).

Right about now, in this age of free agenecy, I could care less how we become relevant. As someone cited above (look at BOS). NO matter who we gte, our future success depends on Gallo, Hill & Douglas anyway. They must be big parts of something, or else we are doomed for more of nothing.
If that is true than the Bulls moving from the 8th pick to the 1st overall and getting a Chicago native in Derrick Rose was OBVIOUSLY rigged. I knew that there was something wrong when they said Rose grew up in Chicago.

ANU

Starter
The Celtics won 24 games, the next year they traded for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, then they won a championship and have been dominate ever since. The same can happen here.

the rights to jeff green, as well as delonte west and wally scerbiak where ealt for ray allen and the rights to fat baby davis.the thunder got raped in that deal.

garnett, a legitimate franchise player, was dealt for al jefferson, gerald green, sebastian telfair, and ryan gomes and theo ratliff.

again, jefferson is good, but minn got raped in that deal.
the only guys than can actually get us an audience for a franchise player are, douglas, hill, and gallo.i think that with the exception of al jeff, our guys are going to be better than all those young guys that where dealt.

i think the only guy that will leavehis team next year is bosh (to miami); bron,wade,amar'e,jj will all stay put imo.so i don't know what franchise player we will acquire.i hope to god chris paul becomes available cause that's the right guy for this team.

knicks are th 2010 celts
we are to the celtics what the red sox are to the yankees, no comparison.no competition.

1.the nba rigged legend is irrelevant.we didn't pay pat a ton of money to pry him away from another team, he was a knick from day 1.
2.we all ready had the corner stones of the franchise in reed and clyde;
3.acquiring king was different because he's from here,so it didn't feel like he was a hired gun.

dlee420

Banned
Nate Robinson?

Can someone explain to me why Nate Robinson is getting no minutes down the stretch??!?!?!?! Does anyone else not see this as insulting and a huge smack in the face to him? I have a feeling this game wouldn't have even went in to OT if nate was on the floor over that garbage Duhon.. please someone explain to me the real logic behind this... thank you.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Can someone explain to me why Nate Robinson is getting no minutes down the stretch??!?!?!?! Does anyone else not see this as insulting and a huge smack in the face to him? I have a feeling this game wouldn't have even went in to OT if nate was on the floor over that garbage Duhon.. please someone explain to me the real logic behind this... thank you.
This is a thread about purchasing victories through free agency dude. Don't be silly. And N8 is a pathetic liability on defense so that's why he's not used at crunch time.

mafra

Legend
If that is true than the Bulls moving from the 8th pick to the 1st overall and getting a Chicago native in Derrick Rose was OBVIOUSLY rigged. I knew that there was something wrong when they said Rose grew up in Chicago.

i agree with this. NO WAY that happens by accident. HECK, did BLAKE end up in OKL (and those were better odds).

metrocard

Legend

Celtics had cap space and draft picks.

This is a new cheap NBA era where teams a cautious of trading their expiring contracts.

We have no hope.

ANU

Starter
Celtics had cap space and draft picks.

This is a new cheap NBA era where teams a cautious of trading their expiring contracts.

We have no hope.
We'll have capspace and young players.all i know is, donnie's deal has been to keep the 2010 dream alive, so come 2010, he better wake the **** up and be audacious.

if he's getting the feeling that I'm getting, that all the 2010 hoopla was nothing but hype for a buncha bitchass primadonnas like lebron, then he better go out and get a franchise player in the draft or trade.

not a single player on this team should be off limits when the 2 most important positions on any basketball team, on ours is totally ass.

if i have to deal wilson, danilo, hill,douglas,milicic for john wall or chris paul I'm doing it,and if he has the chance he better do it too.

i know i'd be more excited about getting either chris paul or john wall than the akron douche' Or the blowfish from miami.

ANU

Starter
lol.you guys haven't figured out the subliminal message in my first post yet? :D

i'd deal every single prospect we have for that 11 guy.

Papajoe

Benchwarmer

Don't forget Dave DeBuscherre was also brought in via a trade.

clumsy

Rotation player
Knicks don't have a future...i just watched a highlight clip of Ersan Illyasova on the Bucks....he's better than Danilo Gallinari........Except pure shooting he is a more complete player...and light years ahead of Danilo in terms of D.

and they got him in the 2nd round.

Red

TYPE-A
"... difference in your opinion between "buying" a franchise player or acquiring one through draft/trade? would it make you fell like less of a true fan if we "bought" one?i know i would. i believe that the term "true" is a better adjective when describing the knicks history and tradition, as opposed to the yankees." - ANU*ZZZzz ehh.... Rivera, Jeter, Pettite, Posada, Hughes, Joba, etc... all "home grown" talent, tenures over ten plus years. Sports is a business 1st! "True" fans root for the Jersey not the Player. Doesn't matter how they're acquired. Success isn't determined by draft picks only, a successful team takes adv. of all opportunities. Using the Yankees as your example = FAILURE! Good bye... P.S. its been so long, I doubt any Knick fan would mind a championship. What the team does in the off season /reg sea. doesn't matter- Winning does- beggers can't be choosers!

ANU

Starter
"... difference in your opinion between "buying" a franchise player or acquiring one through draft/trade? would it make you fell like less of a true fan if we "bought" one?i know i would. i believe that the term "true" is a better adjective when describing the knicks history and tradition, as opposed to the yankees." - ANU*ZZZzz ehh.... Rivera, Jeter, Pettite, Posada, Hughes, Joba, etc... all "home grown" talent, tenures over ten plus years. Sports is a business 1st! "True" fans root for the Jersey not the Player. Doesn't matter how they're acquired. Success isn't determined by draft picks only, a successful team takes adv. of all opportunities. Using the Yankees as your example = FAILURE! Good bye... P.S. its been so long, I doubt any Knick fan would mind a championship. What the team does in the off season /reg sea. doesn't matter- Winning does- beggers can't be choosers!
true fans root for the jersey not the player, yet you have lebron and wade in your sig.lol.you lose.

you're a true fan all right.secondly, all the important pieces in yankees run the last 15 years have come up through the minor league system with the exception of sabathia and a roid.you lose again.

your post was an utter fail.

maybe you should delete this one too and try again.

Red

TYPE-A
true fans root for the jersey not the player, yet you have lebron and wade in your sig.lol.you lose.

you're a true fan all right.secondly, all the important pieces in yankees run the last 15 years have come up through the minor league system with the exception of sabathia and a roid.you lose again.

your post was an utter fail.

maybe you should delete this one too and try again.

Ahhh why must you force my hand? (you were offended I didn't agree w/ you) FYI... Wade and Lebron were in my sig (not b/c i'm a fan moron) but were next to a message saying: "You can't hit every shot- but u are guarenteed to miss all the ones u don't take"- it was symbollic of what we are trying to accomplish- hello! (that sound was the plane u missed over your head). Furthermore I have NEVER rooted for, watched (unless -vs NYK's) played with, read articles, bought gear etc.... of ANY other team than the NYK's. But moreso.... "All the important Yanks in 15 years were minorleagures..." is debatable at best, would you like to debate it? Anywhooo Baseball is different in that aspect so whatever, I thought the POINT was u wouldn't feel it was "True" if we win AFTER acquiring free agents- which inherently is a NORMAL part of doing business- is ridiculous. I could give a f*ck about LBJ Wade or whoever... I just feel IF they are "the best" (not my opinion) then WE deserve them! Don't you think so? or will getting LBJ or Wade and WINNING a championship not be enough for you because the starting 5 wasn't drafted by us? SMH...

Last edited: