New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

mafra

Legend
Scouts rave about this kid... gym rate, loves the game, highly cerebral. Knits-Bridges-KP compliment each other for a nice troika.

Anyway, the point is, thankfully for the long term health of this team, NY has positioned itself into the top 9.

tiger0330

Legend
Despite his gaudy numbers you have to have doubts about the kid. One thing I'm certain of he's not going number 1.
Cracks in Trae's armor according to ESPN Insider. Would the Knicks pick him if he's there when they pick?

[h=2]Trae Young | Oklahoma[/h]Top-100 ranking: No. 7
6-foot-2 | Freshman | PG
Continuing the concerning trend we've seen over the past six weeks or so, Young again struggled to play efficient or winning basketball, committing eight turnovers, shooting just 2-for-11 from beyond the arc and displaying apathetic defense in an embarrassing blowout loss to 18-12 Baylor.
Young has unquestionably hit a wall physically since mid-January, with Oklahoma going just 3-10 in that stretch, and NBA scouts are openly questioning how well his frail body type can hold up over the course of an 82-game season. Part of that is undoubtedly due to how bad his supporting cast is, and it was jarring to see how little help they provided him early on, blowing wide-open layups and 3-pointers, being unable to make simple catches and getting pummeled all game inside the paint by a much more physical Baylor squad. Young actually started the game well (though he wasn't rewarded for it on the stat sheet), but he quickly appeared disheartened by his lack of help and the way the game evolved. He went into chucker mode, continually hoisting up ill-advised pull-up jumpers that simply haven't been falling. He's now shooting just 41-for-130 (31.5 percent) from beyond the arc in his past 13 games, with a 1.27 assist-to-turnover ratio.
[h=1]EDITOR'S PICKS[/h]
Even in a down game, it wasn't hard to see what makes Young an intriguing NBA prospect. His ballhandling skills and court vision are elite, and combined with his impeccable footwork and tremendous ability to change speeds, he can get to almost wherever he wants on the floor. The issue he has run into in Big 12 play (besides his cold shooting) is that he's struggling to finish around the basket effectively. He also isn't drawing fouls at anywhere near the rate he did earlier in the season, partially due to the physical toll this takes on his body.
There's a school of thought among NBA scouts that Young might be packing it in to a certain extent at this point in the season, content with what he has already shown and not looking to use too much energy at the risk of getting injured. This is especially noticeable on the defensive end, where Young looked to expend absolutely no energy whatsoever all game, barely getting into a stance once, dying on every screen, never putting a body on an opponent and simply looking like it wasn't in his job description to put effort into actually getting a stop. NBA scouts seem to have resigned themselves to the fact that Young is going to be somewhat of a sieve early in his career, but there are real concerns about whether he can become adequate in this area at some point.
What does all this mean for his draft stock? It's not entirely clear. There remains an open debate among scouts as to whom they prefer between Young and Collin Sexton, but it would be surprising to see either fall very far outside the top 10, given that there isn't much behind them that appears to be all that inspiring. It will be interesting to see what kind of energy Young can muster for the Big 12 and NCAA Tournaments, when he should be better rested after a little bit of a break.
NBA teams are still enamored with Young's talent, but the past six weeks have definitely revealed some cracks in his scouting report that have caused them to re-examine their evaluations.

mafra

Legend
If I?m NYK, I have to see what compliments and fits our current roster. The kid from Villanova is the ideal fit (for us if we are picking in the later part of the top 10).

Given the choice.... I would take him over Young.

Broadway

All Star
Carter, Sexton, Knox, and my personal favorite Mikal Bridges, should all be available at 9...

I think it’ll be like last year, when we had our choice of Monk, Mitchell, DSJ and Knits. We will have a block of prospects worthy of lottery selection... it’s just a matter of picking the right guy.

But, if we can get Sexton or Mikal Bridges at 9 then we found a gem.

mafra

Legend
Hype may push him up the board... his strengths right now is his incredible defense and his work ethic / b-ball intelligence.

This guy fits perfectly with Knits and KP and should be our target outside the top-5 studs.

Or, maybe we trade next year?s first to jump up and grab somebody else and simply sign KL next summer.

If we want to attract KL or KI or KT next summer, we need KP plus another elite talent.

If we land a top 5 pick and place that with KP, and Knits, that might make the roster more attractive to potential 2019 free agents.

I also think 1 lottery stud and 1 major feee agent is all NY needs to get on right track. Ergo, I would pacakage 9th pick and 2019
1st to jump up into top 5.

I have a bad feeling this is going to be one of these situations where we think this guy is going to fall to us and then his stock rises and he goes before our pick.

mafra

Legend
I still remember the pain when KW fell in draft and then nearly landed in our laps... only to watch SA swoop in and suddenly we?re stuck with I-Shump

This year is a nice draft class. There?s at least 9 quality prospects.

tiger0330

Legend
so was last year... n we end up with frank nitti....
The kid may turn into something but he's young and raw. I hope the Knicks learn something after drafting Nits and take a more seasoned player like Bridges of Villanova, a junior that has gone through a period of development and is closer to a finished product than Nits is.

Kiyaman

Legend
The truth be said .. the Knicks dont need anymore Guards .. the Knicks got a hand full by having CLee n THJ one-way performance guiding 4 young guards in Mudiay Burke Knits n Dotson .... all the Knicks losses this season are from having consistent poor performances from both forwards positions on offense/defense.

mafra

Legend
?Let?s say we wind up with the number 9 pick. Mikal Bridges and the top seven (DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr., Marvin Bagley III, Michael Porter Jr., Trae Young and Mohamed Bamba) are all gone. Do you trade down or keep the pick??

?Mikal Bridges and the Top Seven? sounds like a Motown one-hit wonder.

These are all 15 #9 draft picks from 2003 through last June: Michael Sweetney (sounding and looking better after rookie-year struggles that went way beyond basketball), Andre Iguodala, Ike Diogu, Patrick O?Bryant, Joakim Noah, D.J. Augustin, DeMar DeRozan, Gordon Hayward, Kemba Walker, Andre Drummond, Trey Burke, Noah Vonleh, Frank Kaminsky, Jakob Poeltl, and Dennis Smith Chamberlain Bird Jordan Abdul-Jabbar Jr.

(Notice the bigges bust was a NYK selection).

They?ve played 91 seasons between them, with all but Diogu and the Notorious P.O.B. (that really is O?Bryant?s nickname!) having maintained a spot in the league since their draft days. Out of those 15 players and 91 seasons:

6 players have combined for 12 All-Star appearances.
One player made an All-NBA First team (he was taken with the Knicks? draft pick and is currently on the Knicks, so natch he made All-NBA with another team). Two others each made the Third Team once.
One player won Finals MVP.
One player won Defensive Player of the Year.
Two players have combined for 5 All-Defense teams.
One player sounds like but isn?t the dude the Knicks waived after trading Willy Hernangomez.
Choose well at #9 and you can land a secondary star on a good team or a tertiary stud on a title contender. Choose poorly and 2009 happens. We?re all well-versed in the lamentations of Golden State landing Steph (nee Stephen) Curry one spot ahead of our beloved blue and orange. But do you remember whom the Knicks passed on when they took Jordan Hill?

What kind of deal could the Knicks make to trade down that?d be worthwhile? Five teams could end up with multiple first round picks. Two of Atlanta?s three picks belong to Minnesota and Houston; even if Jimmy Butler?s pick leads to a Timberwolf free-fall, those are low-value picks. Depending what happens with the Lakers? ping-pong balls, either Philadelphia or Boston is going to end up with multiple picks, with Boston nabbing L.A.?s if it?s 2-5 and Philly netting it anywhere else; neither is likely to need anything the Knicks have to offer. Chicago has two picks, but since the existence of a loving God is compatible with an evil universe, the Knicks best pay heed to 30+ years of one-sided losses vs. the Bulls? players and front offices and just avoid dealing with those Windy City Slickers altogether.

The Clippers currently hold the 12th and 14th picks. Phoenix has their own probable top-three pick plus #15 (c/o Miami) and #16 (c/o Milwaukee). If L.A. offered both picks for #9, I?d maybe consider it. The Knicks need young talent with upside on below-market deals. If you think it?s a 7-8 player draft and you?re slated to pick 9, adding two picks between 12 and 16 certainly maximizes stockpiling underpaid young talent.

If you think Porzingis is a good bet as a first banana or a second, you stay at #9 and you hope to draft that tertiary star, that Lamar Odom/Draymond Green/Chris Bosh-type. Then one day you land that big stud via trade or free agency (which never happens with this team, as borne out with Kareem [twice!], Dr. J, Michael Jordan and various LeBron iterations). So just wait 3-4 years for Ntilikina to reach MVP-levels, and voila! s?all good.

(TKB.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
The kid may turn into something but he's young and raw. I hope the Knicks learn something after drafting Nits and take a more seasoned player like Bridges of Villanova, a junior that has gone through a period of development and is closer to a finished product than Nits is.

I like Bridges when PG Brunson is in the lineup with him .. the two players co-exist like winners on both sides of the court ....
Pick em ???
Ayers
Doncic
Bamba
Jackson
Bagley
Young*
Porter*
Mikal Bridges

tiger0330

Legend
Calling the Buffalo/Arizona game an upset is an understatement. Arizona didn't get beat by a miracle shot or in a close game, they got slaughtered. Ayton's stock just fell I don't care what anyone says. Doncic moves up to number one.

Broadway

All Star
Calling the Buffalo/Arizona game an upset is an understatement. Arizona didn't get beat by a miracle shot or in a close game, they got slaughtered. Ayton's stock just fell I don't care what anyone says. Doncic moves up to number one.

I wouldn't go that far just yet with such a sweeping statement but if we're going to judge things equally it does provide reservation or pause to think this over more and more. Trae played really well in their first round game and lost a close one to RI(Oklahoma should've never been there to begin with..."politics as usual" ~ Jay-Z voice). Played undesirable down the stretch of season not sure if it was his fault or the poor coaching and makeup of their team. Meanwhile Ayton played great down the stretch but didn't step up when the moment mattered most

Teams will have to be careful but let's be honest certain prospects only fit on certain teams, while others are more seamless fits. I've been Pro Doncic almost day 1 because of his fit for our team, almost near perfect but Ayton could still be the best prospect from this draft class overall

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Yeah, I wrote off Harden bc of his NCAA dud, then thought Derrick Williams was gonna be monster for upsetting Duke.

Sexton is starting to gain momentum for me, like a DeAaron Fox type.

Sexton and Knits would be a solid defensive backcourt

Kiyaman

Legend

Ayton weak performance were the same as our Tired-KP weak performance clueless on low post movement .. Ayton will be lucky if he make the top 10 picks with the performance he put out vs Buffalo