Update - Cap situation 2011 summer..not much flexability..dont expect much

moneyg

Starter
With about 45.5 mil commited for 2011 summer...we dont have much flexability even if the cap reamins the same as last summer....

Walsh has to decide whether he wants to bring back Billups and/or walker.. both team options...

if walsh decides to keep both.. which i think he should.. we are looking at a 60.5 mil team salary

GOAL.... preserve cap space for 2012

if cap number holds..we will be over.. which make us able to sign a player to a mid level contract starting at around 5 mil.. then fill out the rest of the roster with 1 year vet mins

if we chose to do that.. there arent many player that can help us that will take a 1 year deal for 5-6 mil.....

if we go beyond one year for a player.. we will limit our flexability going forward..

If we can trade Turiaf in the summer..we can free up another 4.5 mil... i thought our best oppurtunity was to the Magic before the trade deadline

unless CP# or DWill or Superman is willing to take about a 12 mil starting salary in 2012.. dont expect us to make any big splashes in Free Agency 2011...

CONCLUSION...

dont expect us to make a run for a title until the 2012 sesaon starts..

hopefully the new CBA will be help us out...we need to lower our expectations a bit.:(

With about 45.5 mil commited for 2011 summer...we dont have much flexability even if the cap reamins the same as last summer....

Walsh has to decide whether he wants to bring back Billups and/or walker.. both team options...

if walsh decides to keep both.. which i think he should.. we are looking at a 60.5 mil team salary

GOAL.... preserve cap space for 2012

if cap number holds..we will be over.. which make us able to sign a player to a mid level contract starting at around 5 mil.. then fill out the rest of the roster with 1 year vet mins

if we chose to do that.. there arent many player that can help us that will take a 1 year deal for 5-6 mil.....

if we go beyond one year for a player.. we will limit our flexability going forward..

If we can trade Turiaf in the summer..we can free up another 4.5 mil... i thought our best oppurtunity was to the Magic before the trade deadline

unless CP# or DWill or Superman is willing to take about a 12 mil starting salary in 2012.. dont expect us to make any big splashes in Free Agency 2011...

CONCLUSION...

dont expect us to make a run for a title until the 2012 sesaon starts..

hopefully the new CBA will be help us out...we need to lower our expectations a bit.:(

dude we are one shot blocker and a back up pg away from being a title contender this year lol.

I dont think you understand how good Billups Melo and Amare are in terms of excellency at there respected positions

billups is perfect because he doesnt present himself as the heir apparent best pg in the league, while melo and stat pride themselves on being just that at their respective positions.

Basically what I mean, is you have the barometer setter in billups

and the thunder and rain in melo and amare

all we need now is a few clouds

and we will be the perfect storm.

holla.

p0nder

Starter
Honestly all speculation about the cap situation is pretty much redundant until the new labor agreement. There is no way to know what it will be like so why speculate on who we can or cannot afford? chances are we will still be able to make moves to afford whatever star player wants to come here.

I agree with DFDH, we are very close to title contention right now and I don't think the new CBA will change that. Even if we don't get d-will/CP3/d12 we are still looking at a pretty good team. Players will also take less money to come here, etc etc. It's a good situation to be in. I'm tired of being a pessimistic Knicks fan. We will have amar'e for 5 years and Melo for at least 3, we have billups this year and probably next year as well. Those three players are proven playoff winners and consummate professionals. I see no reason to doubt our chances.

Right now i think we are a better built team then Miami (0 flexibility, not great chemistry) and Boston (aging and fading). Atlanta is now behind us in terms of talent on the floor. Only Chicago will compete in the long term and they seem unable or unwilling to make a move to step up their roster.

We are poised to take this shit over.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Damn ****ING right.

We've got two superstars which is essential to winning a championship in this league.

Now all we need to do is surround them with a couple of good players and a lot of good roleplayers and we're fine.

Chauncey Billups, despite being old, is still a great PG. He brings to the Knicks DEFENSE, SHOOTING, and LEADERSHIP.

We still have Landry "Hottest rookie in the game" Fields and his rebounding and outside shooting and solid D on this team.

All we need is a capable Tyson Chandler-caliber starting C and a backup C and backup PG and we're in business.

Sign Sebastian Telfair to the minimum this summer after his contract expires. Sign Samuel Dalembert to a similar contract, convince them to take discounts to play for a championship contender. Then we're in business.

la2ny

Starter
If a hard cap is imposed the cap will go up to about 70 million!

If they keep a soft cap then we still have wiggle room. Besides all we need right now is solid role playing positional players(Defensive C,Backup Pg).

moneyg

Starter
So if the cap holds and tyson chandler wants a multi year deal that would prevent us from getting any valuable free agents in 2012, do u pull the trigger and say forget the 2012 FA?

skisloper

Starter
The dude Jordan who is playing in Europe....
Whats is his height and weight and how many years of college did he play ?
Is there a shot we can find another European big ?

la2ny

Starter
The dude Jordan who is playing in Europe....
Whats is his height and weight and how many years of college did he play ?
Is there a shot we can find another European big ?

<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.5em; WIDTH: 22em; FONT-SIZE: 88%" class="infobox vcard" cellSpacing=5><CAPTION style="FONT-SIZE: 125%; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" class=fn>Jerome Jordan</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Position</TH><TD class=role>Center</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Height</TH><TD>7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Weight</TH><TD>250 lb (113 kg)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>League</TH><TD>Serbian league</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Team</TH><TD class=org>Hemofarm</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Born</TH><TD>September 29, 1986 (1986-09-29) (age 24)
Kingston, Jamaica
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Nationality</TH><TD>Jamaican</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>College</TH><TD>Tulsa</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
moneyg said:
So if the cap holds and tyson chandler wants a multi year deal that would prevent us from getting any valuable free agents in 2012, do u pull the trigger and say forget the 2012 FA?

If we went after Tyson and gave him a decent deal we'd have to bank on Chris Paul being traded. Thats why Chauncey was told we'd excercise his team option next year for 14 mill. So he could be a trade asset w/ his huge expiring. If not going after CP then we'd keep Billups till his contract would be up and 14 mill comes off the books and we'd go after Deron. Either way we have options and they are not as bleak as some may think. Donnie knows what he is doing.

moneyg

Starter
Sorry la2ny that's now how the cap works. If we keep billups along with melo and amare and add chandler for about 8 mil our cap would be 72 mil. Ok. When billups comes off our cap would be about 58 mil. You have to be under the cap to use cap space up to the cap number. So that would mean no 2012 shopping for us. That's how it works. So r u willing to do that? If not then forget about FA this summer because walsh plans to preserve cap space. Hopefuuly the new CBA gives us more flexability.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we don't have much, there's gonna be very good/great mininum players available. If we play our cards right we should have a great summer this yea.

la2ny

Starter
Sorry la2ny that's now how the cap works. If we keep billups along with melo and amare and add chandler for about 8 mil our cap would be 72 mil. Ok. When billups comes off our cap would be about 58 mil. You have to be under the cap to use cap space up to the cap number. So that would mean no 2012 shopping for us. That's how it works. So r u willing to do that? If not then forget about FA this summer because walsh plans to preserve cap space. Hopefuuly the new CBA gives us more flexability.
Billups Amare and Melo only will be about 54 million combined next year. If the HARD CAP is imposed the cap will go up to 70 million. We WOULD have space. If the cap does not and stays where it is than expect the MLE and Veterans Minimum to stay. There are ways to work around this. Billups will make 14 million next year and if the cap stays where it is then we can trade him to New Orleans for Chris Paul, if it goes up then we can let Billups go after next year and gain 14 million to spend in cap space. This all hinges on whether a hard cap is imposed or not.

moneyg

Starter
La2ny. You did not included chandlers salary or turiaf 4 mil. Your saying get a chandler and then get someone like cp3. That won't work uner the soft cap. It will work under the hard cap but you can't go over the hard cap even with vet min. Your entire roster 12+ players will have to be under 70 mil. Won't work.

Read my post in full before you read what what was not said.

la2ny

Starter
La2ny. You did not included chandlers salary or turiaf 4 mil. Your saying get a chandler and then get someone like cp3. That won't work uner the soft cap. It will work under the hard cap but you can't go over the hard cap even with vet min. Your entire roster 12+ players will have to be under 70 mil. Won't work.
I dont think you understand what Im saying.

Turiaf is a team option so we can let him go. Thats 4 mill gone. Chandler we don't even have yet so its useless. If we did go after Chandler than we can give him a part of our MLE if no hard cap is imposed(see Steve Blake,Ron Artest). If it is then just sign him outright.

CP3 can be had if we have a soft cap because NO will not lose him for nothing, and if not him then Deron. Billups can be traded for each of them. If a hard cap is imposed Deron or Chris Paul can be signed during the summer of 12 because we'd only have max 43 million on the books out of 70 million. Cp3 or Deron would have to take a paycut anyway because max contracts probably will be lower.

Now I personally want to just build around Amare and Melo. If we have a Defensive Center, that rebounds, and can get a few buckets. Get a backup PG, a young Point guard after next year. Then depth, we can have a legit shot at a title.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I doubt we'll be able to keep Fields if we get another max. He's playing more than a minimum salary player in his first season.

moneyg

Starter
La2ny.

First thing. Turiaf is a player option. Which he will exercise

Secound a MLE is about 5mil a year. Chandler is not taking that. He will be offered at least 7 to 8 mil from cuban.

All I'm saying is that we can use the MLE for one year without hurtin our cap but we won't get a difference maker for that low amount

Lastly, you really think NOH will trade CP3 for billups expiring only we they can let him expire there. No way it happens

la2ny

Starter
La2ny.

First thing. Turiaf is a player option. Which he will exercise

Secound a MLE is about 5mil a year. Chandler is not taking that. He will be offered at least 7 to 8 mil from cuban.

All I'm saying is that we can use the MLE for one year without hurtin our cap but we won't get a difference maker for that low amount

Lastly, you really think NOH will trade CP3 for billups expiring only we they can let him expire there. No way it happens
Well they are screwed arent they. lol

You'd be suprised who you can get at 35 mill for 5 years.

Chandler is going to stay in Dallas regardless so I wasn't banking on him anyway. If anyway you should look towards a cheaper option like Dalembert.

Ok Turiaf has a player op. I read somewhere it was team. Oh well. My mistake. Either way his salary comes off in 12' with Billups.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Honestly all speculation about the cap situation is pretty much redundant until the new labor agreement. There is no way to know what it will be like so why speculate on who we can or cannot afford? chances are we will still be able to make moves to afford whatever star player wants to come here.

I agree with DFDH, we are very close to title contention right now and I don't think the new CBA will change that. Even if we don't get d-will/CP3/d12 we are still looking at a pretty good team. Players will also take less money to come here, etc etc. It's a good situation to be in. I'm tired of being a pessimistic Knicks fan. We will have amar'e for 5 years and Melo for at least 3, we have billups this year and probably next year as well. Those three players are proven playoff winners and consummate professionals. I see no reason to doubt our chances.

Right now i think we are a better built team then Miami (0 flexibility, not great chemistry) and Boston (aging and fading). Atlanta is now behind us in terms of talent on the floor. Only Chicago will compete in the long term and they seem unable or unwilling to make a move to step up their roster.

We are poised to take this shit over.

One result of the labour agreement could be LOWER CONTRACTS. You're exactly right, we just don't know.

Watching JJ Hickson dominate us really shows how much we need a defensive rebounding C!

STAT1

Starter
moneyg is right, even if there is a MLE in the new CBA, the Knicks won't sign anyone for more than a 1 year deal, they'll want to keep whatever flexibility they have for the summer of 2012. Our choices of FA's will be extremely limited by this just as it was the past 2 years while DW was trying to get us under the salary cap.