Center News: Tyson Chandler May Opt Out Of Contract

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It looks like I may need to add another name to my Top Free Agent List this summer.

A source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Bobcats big man Tyson Chandler is seriously considering exercising an early termination option on his contract this summer. If Chandler terminates his contract early, he'll forfeit the remaining $12.6 million he's due from the Bobcats and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Chandler, who is now 27 years old, had his best year during the 2007-08 season averaging 11.8 ppg and 11.8 rpg while shooting a scintillating 63 percent from the field. At the time he was considered one of the best defensive centers in the NBA. However, Chandler has struggled with injuries the last two seasons in New Orleans and Charlotte. The same source said that Chandler is now totally healthy and working out in California preparing for the 2010 season.

8f4f9d1694935f8ed7f6519b115ca033-getty-90044486ks004_bul_bobct.jpg

"He's gotten all of his issues taken care of," the source said, "and he's gearing up to have a big year next season. I think you're going to see the same Tyson who played so well for the Hornets a few years ago."

Chandler almost became a member of the Thunder in February of 2009. The Hornets traded Chandler to Oklahoma City to get under the luxury tax, but Thunder GM Sam Presti rescinded the trade when the Thunder's team doctor became concerned about an injury to Chandler's left big toe. The toe never became an issue, but minor ankle and foot issues nagged him all year last year. Both issues started to clear up by the end of the season.

Now that the injury is behind him, Chandler is looking to seize an opportunity. With so many teams under the luxury tax next season and only five or six top tier free agents out there, a number of teams are going to be left with lots of money to spend this summer. Not everyone can land LeBron or Dwyane Wade. The other thing working in Chandler's favor is that there aren't really any true centers in free agency this summer and a number of teams with cap space including the Thunder, Knicks, Timberwolves, Wizards and Heat need a center badly.

efb88d0f00d541f6381fab1573f25730-getty-98434154ks0028_magic_bobcats.jpg

Pair those two factors together and Chandler could be in a for a big payday this summer. While it's unlikely he can get a starting contract at $12.6 million per year, he should be able to snag a 4 or 5 year deal in the $10 million per year range and get some security before the collective bargaining agreement changes next summer.

If Chandler exercises the termination option in his contract, it will leave the Bobcats with just Nazr Mohammed and DeSagana Diop, in the middle. However, getting Chandler's $12.6 million off the books next year would give the Bobcats between $6 and $7 million in cap room this summer to try to replace him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16662/chandler-a-free-agent-in-2010

$10m a year? I don't know about that.

A healthy Tyson Chandler would be precisely what the Knicks need. It's going to turn in to a bid off between teams in need of a 5 and he's going to get a decent contract because of it.

Something to think about for sure!

Height: 7-1
Weight: 235
Born: Oct 2, 1982 - Hanford, California
College: None

Had a great season in New Orleans in 2008 with 12ppg and 12 rpg. He can't create for himself on offense, and many will say he had a good season courtesy of Chris Paul. As you will see in the "Tyson Chandler" mix below.

A big center with bad feet is never a good thing though. Ask Yao.

dave2138

Rotation player
If he opts out, its only going to be because he thinks he'll get a big contract, in terms of years more so than money. I don't think he's the right type of player to invest 4,5 years in...I don't care who it was that his injuries are in the past. He's not worth that commitment.

People forget that we gave up Jordan Hill, a chance to move down in the 2011 draft and our 2012 pick just so we can spend an extra $9 mil in FA this year. I don't know about everybody else, but I would be pissed if we used that to sign a player like Tyson Chandler over a 2nd max contract.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What about this:

Would you rather have LeBron+Bosh OR would you rather have LeBron+Lee+Tyson Chandler?

Think about it:

PG - Toney Douglas
SG - LeBron James
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - David Lee
C - Tyson Chandler

That's not a bad team.

Would you rather have LeBron+Bosh OR would you rather have LeBron+Lee+Tyson Chandler?

Think about it:

PG - Toney Douglas
SG - LeBron James
SF - Danilo Gallinari
PF - David Lee
C - Tyson Chandler

That's not a bad team.

Imagine that plus next year we use Eddy Currys expiring Contract to ether get another max (Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durrant) or improve our bench.

Plus Danilo Gallinari will probley be much better next year. If he works on his inside game and maybe adds a jumpshot from the paint like Lee has, he could come out as an All Star next year.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Lee at C is NOT better than Tyson Chandler.

LeBron+Bosh is NOT better than having LeBron + Bosh + Tyson Chandler

If you get LeBron and Bosh, who the hell plays Center? Earl Barron?

Dirk

Benchwarmer

I really don't think it matters, the point is you have Lebron and Bosh, all the Center has to do is set picks, concentrate on rebounding, screens etc etc. We could bring Jerome James back @ C and he'd probably beast

jpz17

Starter
Lee at C is NOT better than Tyson Chandler.

LeBron+Bosh is NOT better than having LeBron + Bosh + Tyson Chandler

Tyson is a bum. Nothing more. I would never want him. I'd rather have Eddy at center

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks would be a Playoff team next season if they FIRE Dantoni....
resign Lee, add Tyson Chandler and Felton.

All this Lebron and Bosh junk need to be wash away in the deepest oily ocean along with BUM'ANTONI.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

All this Lebron and Bosh junk need to be wash away in the deepest oily ocean along with BUM'ANTONI.

Give it a ****ing rest Kiya

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

you know Kiya i dont wanna just be a playoff team i want us to play deep into May or even June. and Felton, Lee and Chandler wont stand up to the C's ( even though they are old ), i mean look what they did to the Cav's and Magic. we need a star player who could open up for others and a good 2 option that could be used as "plan B" neither Lee or Gallo can be that superstar.

personally i'd rather get Bosh or Wade over lebron all those fake knick fans cheering him when he dropped 50 on us made me not want him cause of all the fakeass fans that will come with em. rather build the anti lebron team that knocks him out the playoffs and makes his life misreable like the C's did, ahah

clumsy

Rotation player
If you get Lebron Tyson Chandler doesn't make sense. Tyson Chandler doesn't make sense in D'Antoni's offense as well.

To excel, Lebron needs people that can Run. reason Big Z works is cuz that cat shoots the outside and runs back and plays D. Ilgauskus is rarely ever posting.

clumsy

Rotation player
I agree with Kiya firing D'Antoni and picking up Tyson, making this team more of a halfcourt offense would probably get us to the playoffs....but also guarentee us a 1st round exit with our talent.