* Print
* Comments207

Parker By Rob Parker
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

To: NBA America
Re: LeBron James

Stop hating.

It's been more than a week since LeBron James, arguably the biggest free agent in the history of professional sports, was prematurely bounced from the NBA playoffs.

Instead of a possible championship with the Cleveland Cavaliers, James has a big decision. He can stay there, with his championship-less hometown team, or grab for greener pastures with another franchise that has the available loot to pay him.

From the minute the season was over for James, the talk has been about every franchise -- except the New York Knicks.

Chicago, Miami and even L.A.'s step child, the Clippers, have been all the talk by media outlets, fans and message boards.

LeBron James
Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe New York market is the place to be for King James.

The Knicks?

Nope. It's like the team playing in the biggest city in this country doesn't figure in. Worse, as if it doesn't even matter.

That's pure hate.

Now the Knicks know what the New York Yankees go through all the time. Not only do jealous fans from around the country root for them to lose on the field, but they also root against them when it comes time to try to improve their product within the rules of the game.

Hello! The Knicks didn't invent free agency. It's dumb to be mad at Knicks management for developing a plan in an attempt to bring aboard a super talent and give fans a chance to taste a championship.

It's not as if the Knicks don't have the money to pay King James.

In fact, the Knicks have the most money available to sign free agents this summer. So much so, they could sign two top-notch ballers to help rebuild a team that has been a laughingstock for more than a decade.

And it's not as if New York wouldn't deliver a stage for James. The Garden is equal to Broadway. Sure, they perform shows all over the country, but people don't fly in from all over the world to see them. That only happens in NYC.

Those who talk about the world being a global market and that you don't need New York aren't being quite honest. The movers and shakers, the big-time decision makers, the shot callers all call the Big Apple their home office.

You can't meet those people in Cleveland. Eventually, you have to come to New York to meet those people to make things happen. It's not big-city hype, it's just the way it is.

Instead, most of the talk has been about the Bulls.

Yeah, that's a great plan. LeBron should go to Chicago and play in Michael Jordan's shadow. When James wins his first championship, fans will say Jordan won six. When James wins his second title in a row, reporters will say Jordan won three in a row -- twice.

And the Bulls' roster isn't as great as most make it out to be. Even with the addition of James, it isn't a lock that Chicago would be a championship contender.

The New Jersey Nets -- with the second-most cap space available -- have been blown off as well. After all, they play in New Jersey. It might as well be Siberia, according to some.

More hate.

Hate to break it to you, but Newark is just nine miles from Manhattan.

They also want to discount the Nets' pending move to Brooklyn, which is in New York.

For all you Bulls lovers, Brooklyn has almost as many people in its borough as does the city of Chicago -- at last count, the third-largest city in the country.

You get the sense all the anti-New York talk is simply the masses hoping against hope that James doesn't make the smart choice.

They would take James in any other uniform rather than one that reads New York or Brooklyn across the front.

Where the hate comes from doesn't make sense. It's not as if the Knicks have grabbed all the free agents over the years and have won countless titles. Reporters were using typewriters, not computers, the last time the Knicks won a championship. It was 1973 for you historians.

And the Nets have never won a title in the NBA.

Yet those jealous fans and twisted media members don't want to see one of the best players in the league play in the best city.

It makes no sense -- like most of the talk discounting the power of the greatest city in the world.

Stop hating. Now

Don't have much to say on this, I personally Don't want Lebron here, and rather Dwayne Wade, and Melo next year, but I still feel this is an article that has lots of truth to it.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
well g'head and break your laptop ccocksucka,,, cuz I DONT WANT LEBRON JAMES. if he comes i'll root for him, but I always liked Wade better and thought he was a better leader ... and if you don't like that after you break your laptop you can go suck a d*ck

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
well g'head and break your laptop ccocksucka,,, cuz I DONT WANT LEBRON JAMES. if he comes i'll root for him, but I always liked Wade better and thought he was a better leader ... and if you don't like that after you break your laptop you can go suck a d*ck

:lol: Damn, that deserves a rep point.

I agree. Wade is a way better leader than Lebron. Lebron is a choke artist. I already explained why in another thread, so don't anyone bother asking me why I say he's a choke artist. His playoff career speaks for itself, and I'm not talking about him not winning a championship. It's much deeper than that, and as long as you're not blinded by the hype, you'll see why.

I would root for Lebron, if he came here, but Wade's still better.

The Cavs would be in the NBA finals, if they had Wade instead of Lebron.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
if I hear one more idiot fan say they do not want Lebron James Here I am going to break my lap top

I think its much better for this forum if you actually break your lap top, and not post here anymore.

Every time you comment, you sound either 6 years old or schizophrenic.

FYI: I do want Lebron to come here.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
How could you possibly NOT want LeBron to come here. Its okay to prefer Wade over LeBron but its absolutely idiotic to not want him at all.

There are two types of championship molds for superstars in the NBA.

One is the MJ mold. These are the players that close the game out and will single handedly win games or championships. Ex. MJ, Kobe, Wade.

The second is the Magic Johnson mold. The distributor with the combination of size and skill. They are great players who need another big time scorer to win it all. LeBron is the most skilled player since Magic and I feel like he could do major damage feeding Bosh.

The ideal situation would be to nab Wade and Bron and have Bron take the backseat to Wade. LeBron is easily thebetter player...no debate necessary. However, he is not a closer! Hes not MJ or Kobe and thats where people seem to criticize him most. If him and someone like Wade were to work, you'd need LeBron to be the Magic to Kareem, the Pippen to Jordan.

Its odd to think about, but could the most skilled player in the game need to take the backseat to a clutch performer like Wade? I think so. Thoughts?

How could you possibly NOT want LeBron to come here. Its okay to prefer Wade over LeBron but its absolutely idiotic to not want him at all.

There are two types of championship molds for superstars in the NBA.

One is the MJ mold. These are the players that close the game out and will single handedly win games or championships. Ex. MJ, Kobe, Wade.

The second is the Magic Johnson mold. The distributor with the combination of size and skill. They are great players who need another big time scorer to win it all. LeBron is the most skilled player since Magic and I feel like he could do major damage feeding Bosh.

MJ had Pippen

Kobe had Shaq/ has Gasol

Wade had Shaq

Duncan had Robinson and then Parker/Ginobili

Olajuwon had Drexler the second time around.

Even Isiah had Dumars, Dantley and Aguirre

And the old school Lakers and Celtics teams are just all-around unfair

None of those players did it by themself, they all had another all-star on the team with them. That is just how it works, you must have two great players in order to win a championship or be in contention (unless your the Pistons).

It's not a knock on any of those players, you just can't win in the NBA with one great player. We should know that being Knicks fans and having watched Pat Ewing come up short time and time again in the 90's.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
MJ had Pippen

Kobe had Shaq/ has Gasol

Wade had Shaq

Duncan had Robinson and then Parker/Ginobili

Olajuwon had Drexler the second time around.

Even Isiah had Dumars, Dantley and Aguirre

And the old school Lakers and Celtics teams are just all-around unfair

None of those players did it by themself, they all had another all-star on the team with them. That is just how it works, you must have two great players in order to win a championship or be in contention (unless your the Pistons).

It's not a knock on any of those players, you just can't win in the NBA with one great player. We should know that being Knicks fans and having watched Pat Ewing come up short time and time again in the 90's.
You didn't understand my post...so let me clarify.

I realize that no player has done it alone. I never was asserting otherwise.

People want LeBron to be the "MJ" type player and bring the title home alone or with another star. The closer role is played by only 2 people in the NBA currently; Kobe and Wade.

People need to realize that LeBron is as close to Magic as its going to get and he's not going to win a title playing the MJ role that the media wants him to.

That's why if LeBron comes to NY, I think we need to get a closer/clutch performer/scorer to be LeBron's running mate.

I wish Bosh wasn't the only capable big to be the "Kareem" in NYC..ugh

smokes

Huge Member
You didn't understand my post...so let me clarify.

I realize that no player has done it alone. I never was asserting otherwise.

People want LeBron to be the "MJ" type player and bring the title home alone or with another star. The closer role is played by only 2 people in the NBA currently; Kobe and Wade.

People need to realize that LeBron is as close to Magic as its going to get and he's not going to win a title playing the MJ role that the media wants him to.

That's why if LeBron comes to NY, I think we need to get a closer/clutch performer/scorer to be LeBron's running mate.

I wish Bosh wasn't the only capable big to be the "Kareem" in NYC..ugh

I disagree about Bosh being the only capable big. In fact Bosh is not particularly clutch. Lee has just as much closing ability, seen it time and time again who is it that the Knicks go to with the game on the line, they always run a play for DLee (ok so we don't often win but you can attribute a lot of those to Duhon throwing the ball away etc).

Also Dirk is well known to carry Dallas to victory practically on his own in the 4th.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Lebron is still mad young and played with a group of players and in a system that did not maximize his skill sets. That said, to right off Lebron and think he can't be a closer like MJ is way premature. Jordan had 4 years of college and Kobe spent the first part of his career second to Shaq. Lebron came straight from highschool to being the number one option right away. There is no reason to think Lebron can't mature into a closer...Jordan took years to perfect his fadeaway and so did Kobe. If Lebron can acquire that same type of weapon combined with all his other skills he could easily be an MJ type of closer.

P.S. I also agree that it is completely legit to prefer Wade over Bron but to outright not want Lebron is absurd.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Lebron is still mad young and played with a group of players and in a system that did not maximize his skill sets. That said, to right off Lebron and think he can't be a closer like MJ is way premature. Jordan had 4 years of college and Kobe spent the first part of his career second to Shaq. Lebron came straight from highschool to being the number one option right away. There is no reason to think Lebron can't mature into a closer...Jordan took years to perfect his fadeaway and so did Kobe. If Lebron can acquire that same type of weapon combined with all his other skills he could easily be an MJ type of closer.

P.S. I also agree that it is completely legit to prefer Wade over Bron but to outright not want Lebron is absurd.
I don't think it's premature anymore...when is it NOT going to be premature? When he's 28?

I understand he is 24, and he does have the TIME, to mature, but does he actually have the kind of natural shooting ability and touch that Jordan and Kobe do? I'm skeptical.

That's not to discredit where I stand with LeBron. Saying he's the 2nd-coming of Magic Johnson, arguably the second best player to ever play the game, is not falling short of giving credit when it is due. I think the world of LeBron as a player. I just don't think he has the kind of killer instinct that Wade and Kobe have currently. They both just hit big shot after big shot. I think the most overrated shot in NBA history was the LeBron game winner in Orlando last year, seeing as it amounted to nothing. Having one game winner in 7 years doesn't do it for me. That's not dissing LeBron, just stating the facts; he's more of a do-it-all distributor who excels in getting his teammates involved. Whether it be Dirk, Wade, Bosh, or Lee, they will all benefit from his presence, but they will only win a title with another player taking the last shots.

To smokes' credit, Dirk would is definitely more clutch than Bosh. Dirk hits several big shots, and is such a reliable source of scoring when the going gets tough, or when a team needs to be put away. Credit for that.

I do think Bosh is more clutch than Lee though. Bosh hit an insane game winning 3 pointer against the Lakers on a huge national stage and it completely shocked me. He's been the number one option in Toronto (with a fairly better supporting cast than Lee, but nothing great) with a little more success than Lee has had with the Knicks being their go-to-guy.

I hope Pat Riley and the Heat's management f**ks up with the treatment of Wade, and LeBron and him team up in NYC!

That would be one for the ages! LeBron putting up triple doubles and Wade stepping on the other teams throat in the 4th!

smokes

Huge Member
I don't think it's premature anymore...when is it NOT going to be premature? When he's 28?

I understand he is 24, and he does have the TIME, to mature, but does he actually have the kind of natural shooting ability and touch that Jordan and Kobe do? I'm skeptical.

That's not to discredit where I stand with LeBron. Saying he's the 2nd-coming of Magic Johnson, arguably the second best player to ever play the game, is not falling short of giving credit when it is due. I think the world of LeBron as a player. I just don't think he has the kind of killer instinct that Wade and Kobe have currently. They both just hit big shot after big shot. I think the most overrated shot in NBA history was the LeBron game winner in Orlando last year, seeing as it amounted to nothing. Having one game winner in 7 years doesn't do it for me. That's not dissing LeBron, just stating the facts; he's more of a do-it-all distributor who excels in getting his teammates involved. Whether it be Dirk, Wade, Bosh, or Lee, they will all benefit from his presence, but they will only win a title with another player taking the last shots.

To smokes' credit, Dirk would is definitely more clutch than Bosh. Dirk hits several big shots, and is such a reliable source of scoring when the going gets tough, or when a team needs to be put away. Credit for that.

I do think Bosh is more clutch than Lee though. Bosh hit an insane game winning 3 pointer against the Lakers on a huge national stage and it completely shocked me. He's been the number one option in Toronto (with a fairly better supporting cast than Lee, but nothing great) with a little more success than Lee has had with the Knicks being their go-to-guy.

I hope Pat Riley and the Heat's management f**ks up with the treatment of Wade, and LeBron and him team up in NYC!

That would be one for the ages! LeBron putting up triple doubles and Wade stepping on the other teams throat in the 4th!

Yeah, Bosh can be clutch no doubt, I've seen him hit a few big shots in his time, but he's not got that Wade/Kobe/Dirk/Durant 4th quarter killer instinct. But that is pretty rare, probably only 5~ players in the league have that.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think this a big mistake.
Since they separated Kobe still winning, Shaq stopped it.

Yes, they separated after Kobe had years to mature including multiple title runs. Shaq has stopped because Shaq is older and always relied on strength and brute athletic ability to be effective. As he got older his lack of any finess was exposed because he can no longer bully people with his strength.