Game thread: New York Knicks @ Miami Heat 7:00 10/24/2018 [Game #5]

Kiyaman

Legend
108 - 78 Heat .... Head coach Fizdale are clueless of coaching BIG MEN !!!
Our coaching staff are sitting back saying nothing on the bench to Kornet and Robinson on the perimeter

mafra

Legend
Good news is we lost, got the L, and only have to endure 77 more games of this crap.

The light at the end of the tunnel arrives next July...

Max Free agent... maybe even another nice signing.... lottery pick... then, we probably have enough NBA talent to compete for a playoff spot.

I was wondering how many games it would take before the burdens of defeat weighed heavily on our spirit and passion to play hard.

mafra

Legend
Only 1 starter scored in double digits. Knits still refuses to even consider taking a shot; LT might have finally cracked double digit points (for the season)... Dotson the lone bright spot. I?m tired of Mario already...

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
Our rotations were strange tonight, even before it turned into a blowout. Fizdale doing a lot of experimenting, most of which without success tonight. Clearly, you give Kanter more than 19 minutes and Vonleh more than 17 minutes if you are actually trying to win.

tiger0330

Legend
Only 1 starter scored in double digits. Knits still refuses to even consider taking a shot; LT might have finally cracked double digit points (for the season)... Dotson the lone bright spot. I’m tired of Mario already...
One of Knits best games this season and still didn't crack 10 pts. Mario like Mudiay, not going to be here next year, so inconsistent. Dotson best Knick this game and deserves minutes and more of a look as a starter or 6th man.

Kiyaman

Legend
Our rotations were strange tonight, even before it turned into a blowout. Fizdale doing a lot of experimenting, most of which without success tonight. Clearly, you give Kanter more than 19 minutes and Vonleh more than 17 minutes if you are actually trying to win.

I call Fizdale coaching "Puppet-coaching" because this is the same type of (Dolan) coaching we been seeing since GM Isiah Thomas hired coach Lenny Wilkins. There's no system, there's no plan, there's no plays in the Knicks performance .. just man to man street ball.
I guess thats why Heat coach Spoe turned up the Heat to BLOW-OUT the Knicks at the start of the 2nd half.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The stench of Pjax hangs in the air with the blown pick of Frank at 8. DSjr had 16/7/6 with a couple steals. Frank:9/3/5 with no steals so let’s not get carried away with that defensive stopper nonsense. The good thing: it’s a long season. The bad thing: it’s a long season.

Kiyaman

Legend
One of Knits best games this season and still didn't crack 10 pts. Mario like Mudiay, not going to be here next year, so inconsistent. Dotson best Knick this game and deserves minutes and more of a look as a starter or 6th man.

We played clueless basketball for 48 minute tonight ..
We got EMBARRASSED for 48 minute in Miami tonight ..
We got out-played on both sides of the court for 48 minute ..
We got out-coached for 48 minute by Fizdale mentor head coach Erik Spoelstra ..
Why didn't we hire coach Mark Jackson? or coach Kidd? or coach Casey in the offseason ???

jimkcchief88

All Star
I call Fizdale coaching "Puppet-coaching" because this is the same type of (Dolan) coaching we been seeing since GM Isiah Thomas hired coach Lenny Wilkins. There's no system, there's no plan, there's no plays in the Knicks performance .. just man to man street ball.
I guess thats why Heat coach Spoe turned up the Heat to BLOW-OUT the Knicks at the start of the 2nd half.

Yup I hate to say we have seen this before and you are correct. The strange rotations suggest management has a strong hand in playing time. And FIZ is playing along and better or else he’ll will lose his job like in MEM. Maybe at some point we will see coach FIZ hand in these guys play. For now it’s a hell of a lot of the same as we have seen for several years unfortunately:(

The stench of Pjax hangs in the air with the blown pick of Frank at 8. DSjr had 16/7/6 with a couple steals. Frank:9/3/5 with no steals so let?s not get carried away with that defensive stopper nonsense. The good thing: it?s a long season. The bad thing: it?s a long season.

To the bitter end with some of you guys and your DSJ infatuation. DSJ had 5 turnovers in that game and is shooting 34% from the floor for the season. Ntilikina is nothing special, but neither is DSJ. Doncic is going to make Mavs fans forget all about last year?s fake DSJ hype.

Kiyaman

Legend
To the bitter end with some of you guys and your DSJ infatuation. DSJ had 5 turnovers in that game and is shooting 34% from the floor for the season. Ntilikina is nothing special, but neither is DSJ. Doncic is going to make Mavs fans forget all about last year’s fake DSJ hype.

Doncic did that in the Mavs preseason games LMFAO
The Hawks outscored the Mavs tonight 111 - 104 for the win.
Its to early in the season to be calling out the Knicks YOUNG players performance under a new coach ..
Its 5 games into the season and the 1-4 head coach Fizdale has not showed to have some type of formation for the Knick players to rely on as a team.
Coach Fiz does not have our veteran players Kanter/LT/Timmy complimenting any of the young players athletic talents.
Tonight .. everyone of the Heat players complimented their teammates performance by passing, blocking, boxing-out, and double-teaming.

tiger0330

Legend
The stench of Pjax hangs in the air with the blown pick of Frank at 8. DSjr had 16/7/6 with a couple steals. Frank:9/3/5 with no steals so let’s not get carried away with that defensive stopper nonsense. The good thing: it’s a long season. The bad thing: it’s a long season.

To the bitter end with some of you guys and your DSJ infatuation. DSJ had 5 turnovers in that game and is shooting 34% from the floor for the season. Ntilikina is nothing special, but neither is DSJ. Doncic is going to make Mavs fans forget all about last year’s fake DSJ hype.
I would still take DSJ over Nits if we got a redraft. Way more upside than Nits, I mentioned this about Nits in the Bucks game thread that he's diligent about his defensive assignments and he's a smart defender but here's an analysis I saw about DSJ.

Smith’s athleticism and aggressive attitude will make him a lock-down defender once he learns when to take chances and when to be conservative.

DSJ just the opposite of Frank, too aggressive and doesn't have the defensive discipline that Nits has but because of that athletic ability could become a lockdown defender. DSJ has had his moment's, made the game winner in that high scoring Wolves game but that shooting % says he's still a work in progress but so is Nits with a lower ceiling imo.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Doncic did that in the Mavs preseason games LMFAO
The Hawks outscored the Mavs tonight 111 - 104 for the win.
Its to early in the season to be calling out the Knicks YOUNG players performance under a new coach ..
Its 5 games into the season and the 1-4 head coach Fizdale has not showed to have some type of formation for the Knick players to rely on as a team.
Coach Fiz does not have our veteran players Kanter/LT/Timmy complimenting any of the young players athletic talents.
Tonight .. everyone of the Heat players complimented their teammates performance by passing, blocking, boxing-out, and double-teaming.
I would cut the same slack for Fiz. Winning would be nice but it's not the first priority for him or the Knicks, developing the young guys a much higher priority. Knicks are the youngest team in the NBA, when has the youngest team ever had a winning record. I would expect to see more of MRob and KK as the season progresses and start showcasing guys to trade that aren't going to be here.

Broadway

All Star
I would still take DSJ over Nits if we got a redraft. Way more upside than Nits, I mentioned this about Nits in the Bucks game thread that he's diligent about his defensive assignments and he's a smart defender but here's an analysis I saw about DSJ.

Smith?s athleticism and aggressive attitude will make him a lock-down defender once he learns when to take chances and when to be conservative.

DSJ just the opposite of Frank, too aggressive and doesn't have the defensive discipline that Nits has but because of that athletic ability could become a lockdown defender. DSJ has had his moment's, made the game winner in that high scoring Wolves game but that shooting % says he's still a work in progress but so is Nits with a lower ceiling imo.

All Facts Tig

I haven't said much about DSJ for a while. I've talked about Doncic a lot more since about January/February of this yr but DSJ is clearly better than Knits IMO on both sides of the ball. Knits isn't some standout defender, we need to stop with this crap if we're going to talk about the talk that's absurd.

Even if this talk seems annoying it really puts in perspective why drafting is such an important thing to get right when rebuilding. The next is "development"...Carlisle did a great job with DSJ last yr and he's picking up right where he left off with Doncic today. We're still hiding Knits into the grand scheme of what we're doing and he'll be mitigated more when Knox rises, we get another draft pick, and #kporzee returns. Knits doesn't even look better than Dotson at the moment and he was clearly soul searching during Summer League which shows how sad the situation is.

Some guys on this site have been critical about rebuilding but we see how good this can look when done properly

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
I would cut the same slack for Fiz. Winning would be nice but it's not the first priority for him or the Knicks, developing the young guys a much higher priority. Knicks are the youngest team in the NBA, when has the youngest team ever had a winning record. I would expect to see more of MRob and KK as the season progresses and start showcasing guys to trade that aren't going to be here.

Whats funny is that so many so called Knicks fans are jumping ship every time we lose. Like they expect our team to be good without KP and our other players that are injured smh

Worst thing I saw last week was people writing negative comments on the Knicks instagram page during the first quarter of the first game (vs. Hawks), just because we couldn't buy a basket in the beginning of the game :mad:

I hate those fans with a passion.

Like you said, we need to focus more on developing our 1st and 2nd year players. See what they got and if they pan out then we can get rid of the old veterans on the team.

Kiyaman

Legend

Smith?s athleticism and aggressive attitude will make him a lock-down defender once he learns when to take chances and when to be conservative.

Frank came to the NBA as a system player, who plays best under a 5 man system lineup .. Horn and Fiz has/had a man to man system relying on isolation offense. Truth b said .. Last year Horn change the starting 5 lineup after the 0-3 start.
Under Mavs coach Rick Carlisle system, Frank would probably be moving at full speed his 2nd season after having a full rookie season of performing in a half-court offensive system with Dirk.
I'm sure you like a lot of us fans has seen way more defensive rookie players develop into well scoring players after a couple of seasons in the NBA .. we dont see to many scoring rookie players develop into good defenders .... Look at our ex-player D.Rose under one of the NBA top defensive coaches.

tiger0330

Legend

Fiz can't be happy about coming back to his old stomping ground and getting stomped on. He was supposed to make changes in the lineup tonight but didn't. Bet he does for next game.
Looks like Dotson might get the start Fri. Trey to the bench, Nits the starting PG according to this. Fiz still looking for that lockdown defensive lineup which you stand a better chance of getting w/o Trey in the lineup. More minutes for MRob is what I expect against the Dubs as well on Fri.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/25/the-guard-at-risk-over-damyean-dotsons-stunning-knicks-rise/

Looks like Dotson might get the start Fri. Trey to the bench, Nits the starting PG according to this. Fiz still looking for that lockdown defensive lineup which you stand a better chance of getting w/o Trey in the lineup. More minutes for MRob is what I expect against the Dubs as well on Fri.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/25/the-guard-at-risk-over-damyean-dotsons-stunning-knicks-rise/

I like Fizdale?s enthusiasm and attitude, but not entirely sure he has a plan for this roster. Ntilikina had 5 assists in each of the last 2 games, which is nice, but he does not have the ball handling skills to be a starting PG. Dotson has earned more minutes, but at the wing instead of SG? We stink at small ball.

Kiyaman

Legend
Whats funny is that so many so called Knicks fans are jumping ship every time we lose. Like they expect our team to be good without KP and our other players that are injured smh

Worst thing I saw last week was people writing negative comments on the Knicks instagram page during the first quarter of the first game (vs. Hawks), just because we couldn't buy a basket in the beginning of the game :mad:

I hate those fans with a passion.

Like you said, we need to focus more on developing our 1st and 2nd year players. See what they got and if they pan out then we can get rid of the old veterans on the team.

Fans are going to be fans .. especially in games when the Knicks starters are giving up points and not scoring any points, it were the Knicks 2nd unit lineup of bench players energy in the 2nd quarter that out scored the Hawks to put the Knicks into the game.

Our coaching staff are not doing a great job at developing the young players when we havnt establish any type of offensive design plays having two or three teammates into the offensive-play .. such as a Burke & Kanter pick n roll, or a Frank & Kanter pick n roll, or a Burke/Frank/Timmy alley-oop pass to Kanter/LT/FortKnox/Kornet/or MitcRob for a back door play.
The Knicks have several slasher players in the lineups that we havn't establish a play for them to score by having teammates screen or box-out for our slashers Burke/Timmy/FortKnox/or Trier to slash to the basket for two points.

I been watching other young NBA teams that has establish at least 3 to 5 well design offensive plays they use often.
Coach Fiz has not been using our young Big men (Kornet and MitchRob) in the rotation to help them position themselves with teammates for the rebound or position themselves to protect the paint or position themselves for put-backs in NBA.
Vonleh look lonely at C/F in every lineup having Mario as the only big man to help him in the paint on offense/defense.