Game Thread: NY Knicks @ Washington Wizards 03/01/13 7:00

rady

Administrator
Staff member
header.jpg

matchup.jpg
NBA.com preview:
Knicks-Wizards Preview

The New York Knicks overcame a performance from an opposing guard at the top of his game before facing one who is clearly not at the moment.

Washington Wizards point guard John Wall had a strong showing the last time he faced the Knicks, but he's enduring some major woes heading into Friday night's matchup at the Verizon Center.

New York (34-20) won 109-105 at home over Golden State on Wednesday despite Stephen Curry's NBA season-high 54 points. The Knicks admitted everything they tried didn't work.

"We ran everything at him," center Tyson Chandler said. "He just got hot. There was some shots that he couldn't have seen the rim."

Not much Wall has done recently has worked. He's committed at least a half-dozen turnovers in three of his last five games, finishing with six points, four assists and seven turnovers in Wednesday's 96-95 home loss to Detroit as Washington's three-game win streak was snapped.

"He is going through a rough stretch," coach Randy Wittman said. "You've got to fight through it. You can't succumb to it. You can't feel sorry for yourself about it."

Wall is averaging 10.2 points on 29.6 percent shooting in five contests since the All-Star break. He seemed to blame his teammates for Wednesday's miscues.

"I think it was great passes. I just think some of my teammates (didn't) catch them, and some of them got tipped away," Wall said, "so just got to deal with it."

Wall was more efficient Feb. 6, when he had 21 points and nine assists along with six turnovers as Washington (18-38) ended a 10-game slide to New York with a 106-96 home victory. He scored 10 points in the fourth quarter as the Wizards put up 36 - their highest total in a final period all season.

The Knicks took a three-point lead into that quarter - one they remember well.

"This is kind of a payback game for us," Carmelo Anthony said. "We felt like last time we went down there, we were supposed to have won that game."

Anthony had 31 points and nine rebounds in that contest. The Baltimore native no doubt enjoys playing close to home; his 28.3 points per game at Washington are his third-most in any NBA city.

The league's second-leading scorer insists his team won't look past the Wizards with Sunday's much-anticipated home game against Miami looming.

"We're not thinking about the Heat right now," Anthony said. "After we come back from Washington, maybe Saturday at practice you can ask me something about the Heat. We've got one game on our minds and that's the Wizards."

Wizards big man Nene is listed as questionable after missing the Pistons game with a sore right shoulder. Trevor Booker, who missed the first two games against the Knicks this season, started in Nene's place.

The Knicks also did not see an injured Bradley Beal in the most recent meeting. The rookie is back and averaging 19.8 points in his last five games.

Anthony scored 35 and had a season-high eight assists Wednesday against the Warriors. J.R. Smith chipped in with 26 points after averaging 12.7 over his previous three games.

Source

Starting lineups:
starters.jpg

was.jpg

bigapple

Starter
they lost to Pistons but i dont want payback i want just WIN to still keepin rollin between 2,3rd seed in east and avoid Bulls.

tiger0330

Legend
We're in pretty good shape. Tied with Indy for that 2nd seed and 2 games ahead of BKN in the Atlantic.

Need to take advantage and win a game we're supposed to win.

JoeBo21

Benchwarmer
Woody finally changed the lineup. Hopefully White proves to not be completely useless but whatever gets Kidd out of the starting 5 and Shump back to the 2 (about time) is fine with me

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Reading up on these media tweets, seems James White had a good showing against Lebron james the last time out. I guess giving White the start to work the rust off in prep for Sunday.

smokes

Huge Member
JR loves throwing those elbows around. He's gonna pull a Metta World Peace soon I can feel it.

Wow, it's a cemetery in here right now. Too bad. Knicks are playing well. It's not like White is really doing anything special, but I'm happy to see Shump back at the 2 and Kidd coming off the bench. I'd love to see our guys close the Wizards out here in the 3rd and finally have another laugher.

Let's go Knicks!

Melo run! There's a zombie disguised as a referee and he's right behind you! Y'know, I'm glad I'm alone in here. Finally, can express my true feelings without the fear of criticism or any reply whatsoever.

Amare continues to look so sharp when they get him the ball in the low post. I wonder if he got the touches that Melo has been getting if we wouldn't be scoring at a higher click given how Melo's shooting has been off at times.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
Simple we should win this.

Not going to celebrate as if we have won the NBA title if we beat the Wiz. Lose tonight and you're damn right the fans have every right to vent.

Pretty sweet airball to close out that quarter. Nice effort for 6 minutes and then no effort for 6 more. Phenomenal.