Anthony unhappy with Knicks coach

kinein

Benchwarmer

This team has two factions of players according to the articles(and it seems that way on court). One wants to play a certain way and the other wants to play a different way. It just ends up being a weird mix with no cohesion.

The articles are embellishing and dramatizing to get hits though. There are probably alot of undercurrents of emotions similar to what was described, but I doubt its to the level that the writers are talking about.
I'm just going to quote someone else on the internet - in another knicks forum.

You guys have to remember that the writers do have to embellish and dramatize. Hits to their pages = affects advertising dollars.

One thing is for sure there is at least 2 factions.

Melo on one side or his own side.

The guys that have bought-in (see Linsanity run)

Independents.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...new-york-knicks-locker-room-according-sources

The Sh*t is hitting the proverbial fan. The Discontent has spread and other players are saying they are tired of D'antoni as well.

My first post:

1. MDA demostrated he can win with the knicks without Melo or Stat. Seven-game win streak or more only a handful of coaches can accomplished (4) in this league.
- Is he able to do the same without Melo or Stat? Prob will!
- Is MDA the real problem? most likely not.
2. During the win streak, knicks played fun and exciting basketball, where EVERYONE was involved BOTH ends of the court. They only allowed 89.7 pts and score 98.1/game. But for the last 10 games (2-8) since Melo came back, Knicks offense actually increase to 100.7 but the D allowed 104.4.
3. The major difference between those two streaks is melo and stat.

The very first NBA game I watched was in a theater-televised championship game between Knicks and Lakers back in 72' in LA. I watched many great players throughout the years, and to me a superstar is someone who is well rounded in ALL aspects of the game, and that includes D! And great players will always find ways to win, no matter what. There are nights when Jerry West couldnt shoot into Pacific Ocean, he would play extremely hard on D and create opportunities for teammates in O.
Perhaps when playing post up or 1-on-1, it takes too much energy out of Melo, and when he gets back to the D, he needs to 'recharge' by slacking off a bit. There is nothing wrong if a player plays his a** off on both ends and asks the coach for a sub when he is out of gas. It's a team-before-ego attitude that will win respect from your teammates. I have no doubt Melo wants to win games as much as anyone in the team. But the fact is: BB is a team sport, and he hasn't done it his way, in Denver nor here. I know how difficult it is for him to play the wing instead of the post. But natural dictates this: if you dont evolve and adapt, you become extinct!
For a professional player who doesnt join a team huddle is totally and absolutely unforgivable. No matter what the reason is and no matter how much you dislike the coach or teammates! If he can do this to MDA, who is it to say he wont do it to his next coach? On the sideline, no single player is greater than his coach! I really dont think Melo realizes how detrimental it is to his team for not joining huddles, Or perhaps he does, and just wants to be traded. Either way, it's totally UNprofessional.
Who would guarantee if Melo stays, knicks can win with a new coach? But winning can certainly happen without Melo!

kinein

Benchwarmer
I really hope you're right.

I hope so too! I look at it from a progression point of view. Game after game - I've pointed out, as well as others, certain things they needed to work on. Problems with Amare's game, Melo's game - etc. They've been systematically addressed and some improvements are noted across the board.

Right now: we are down to rebounding, offensive rebounds, Jared Jeffries coming back soon. Melo and Amare need to hustle more. Team has to rebound more.

Big Question Mark - Will Melo buy-in to system. Will he actually stick with the offensive scheme and defensive scheme ~ or will he cheat back in-to his old spots and try to break plays - and get waved off or ignored by Fields/Lin again.

2nd Question Mark - Will Baron Davis show signs of ignoring Lin again when Lin is on floor with him as scoring component instead of PG component.

3rd Question Mark - The mental funk that Shumpert and Jr Smith is on - in terms of ball-handling and offensive. Will they still have this problem. Shumperts been acting odd - since a few days ago when he went to chicago for a day and came back ( before Bucks game ) which is why he barely played. He was in - and looked so lost and out of it - he had to be taken out.

JR Smith ~ he's missing lay-ups, thats how bad its gotten. His focus isn't there. I know he has been nervous for a while now. The PRESSURE is really riding his confidence, the really, bad turnovers - momentum killers from Chicago - giving up 4 free points, missing 2pts our team desperately needed. Poor fouls ~ all of this is eating him alive. I'd love to see him just really build chemistry with Lin. I appreciate his willingness to sacrifice - seen him pass the ball to Novak to let Novak nail 3pters.

4th Question Mark - is tubby lumbering Harrellson that went from

83551216_crop_340x234.jpg

Going to play? I hope not - The guy allows 3x more points scored vs Chandler or Lin. Teams are going to exploit him continuously for the fouls and easy shots. Until he gets back in shape - he posted on twitter 2 days ago that he is working on his conditioning. What the hell -_____________-

5th - Curiosity - Will Jerome Jordan get to play with Lin. I know they had chemistry in the D-League. I'm surprised he didn't get a chance to play while Chandler was hurt.

Final comment - Harrellson is a big reason why we lost 1 of the games, regardless how bad the D was from Max Cats - and how badly Melo has hurt team chemistry and team MINDSET - just on performance alone - this guy just tanked us hard a few games back. I also hope JR Smith doesn't try to tank us again - I'm left after Chicago noting how badly he disrupted our flow in just 1 minute of game-time.

kinein

Benchwarmer
Who would guarantee if Melo stays, knicks can win with a new coach? But winning can certainly happen without Melo!

Also if anyone is paying attention to the Nuggets now - this is sourced from a Nuggets fan: Their coach now talks about the Nuggets TEAM SPEED, P&R, Chemistry - now that Melo is gone.

Ironic isn't it?

Whats also ironic is watching Gallo bury a clutch falling 3pter to tie the game last night vs the Hawks and send the game into OT - where the Nuggets won.

Gallo's got a huge clutch gene.

* Melo has a lot of work to do - I just hope he buys-in and stops putting himself on an island.

wian

Benchwarmer
I think MDA and Mello are partly to blame for the Knicks poor Performance, but what shits me is people defending Mello by blaming Mello's Poor form totally on MDA.

In all fairness, Is MDA the blame for Mello's Poor Field Goal Shooting ? , or Mello's poor Free throw shooting ? , or Mello's Poor Defensive efforts ? , Or Mello's lack of effort? That to me is totally Mello's fault , no one else's....

Fair enough,the coach may be shit and not utilising his talents correctly, but fair is fair............. The coach cant be blamed for What i have mentioned above -

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I think MDA and Mello are partly to blame for the Knicks poor Performance, but what shits me is people defending Mello by blaming Mello's Poor form totally on MDA.

In all fairness, Is MDA the blame for Mello's Poor Field Goal Shooting ? , or Mello's poor Free throw shooting ? , or Mello's Poor Defensive efforts ? , Or Mello's lack of effort? That to me is totally Mello's fault , no one else's....

Fair enough,the coach may be shit and not utilising his talents correctly, but fair is fair............. The coach cant be blamed for What i have mentioned above -

The coach is to blame for Melo's poor FG% because he's taking his game away by not allowing him to operate in the post more. That's his game. He's made a living doing that. He's an inside-out player. But in this system, he has to space the court, which in laymen's terms means "get away from the middle of the court, don't get in the way, or bring your defender in the way."

So yea, asking him to catch and shoot like Joe Johnson, Raja Bell, or Jared Dudley is purely on the coach.

Melo is shooting 81% from the free throw line, so I dunno what you're talking about there.

I see Melo making more stupid plays on the defensive end as apposed to lack of effort. You don't do something as stupid as fouling a 3-point shooter when closing out because you're "not trying."

He's done it twice in the last 10 games, the one against Marshon Brooks, and then the last one against Iggy. I dunno how it's a lack of effort when he's running forward with a hand up, and foolishly fouling.

I do agree that he shouldn't let his struggles get to him and let it manifest itself in other areas of his game, that part I do agree with.

But the rest of the post is way off base.

Kiyaman

Legend
My first post:

1. MDA demostrated he can win with the knicks without Melo or Stat. Seven-game win streak or more only a handful of coaches can accomplished (4) in this league.
- Is he able to do the same without Melo or Stat? Prob will!
- Is MDA the real problem? most likely not.
2. During the win streak, knicks played fun and exciting basketball, where EVERYONE was involved BOTH ends of the court. They only allowed 89.7 pts and score 98.1/game. But for the last 10 games (2-8) since Melo came back, Knicks offense actually increase to 100.7 but the D allowed 104.4.
3. The major difference between those two streaks is melo and stat.

The very first NBA game I watched was in a theater-televised championship game between Knicks and Lakers back in 72' in LA. I watched many great players throughout the years, and to me a superstar is someone who is well rounded in ALL aspects of the game, and that includes D! And great players will always find ways to win, no matter what. There are nights when Jerry West couldnt shoot into Pacific Ocean, he would play extremely hard on D and create opportunities for teammates in O.
Perhaps when playing post up or 1-on-1, it takes too much energy out of Melo, and when he gets back to the D, he needs to 'recharge' by slacking off a bit. There is nothing wrong if a player plays his a** off on both ends and asks the coach for a sub when he is out of gas. It's a team-before-ego attitude that will win respect from your teammates. I have no doubt Melo wants to win games as much as anyone in the team. But the fact is: BB is a team sport, and he hasn't done it his way, in Denver nor here. I know how difficult it is for him to play the wing instead of the post. But natural dictates this: if you dont evolve and adapt, you become extinct!
For a professional player who doesnt join a team huddle is totally and absolutely unforgivable. No matter what the reason is and no matter how much you dislike the coach or teammates! If he can do this to MDA, who is it to say he wont do it to his next coach? On the sideline, no single player is greater than his coach! I really dont think Melo realizes how detrimental it is to his team for not joining huddles, Or perhaps he does, and just wants to be traded. Either way, it's totally UNprofessional.

I was force to stop reading....MDA did not win those 7 games with Lin-Sanity.....
Ending contract players won those games when given the oportunity of playingtime.
They followed the leadership of veteran defensive-players Tyson Chandler &
Jared Jefferies (committing STOPS! which is why Lins turnovers didnt matter), having
an energy creative floor maker Jeremy Lin making plays off the ball on every offensive-possession,
plus having for the first time on this Knicks team a real 3-ball shooter in Novak who is always
moving without the ball....having nothing to do with Dantoni's 4 seasons of standing on the 3-ball line offense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Real Talk

The media is aiming the Knicks 18-24 record and consistent losses at Melo & Stat....
When in real B.Ball it has nothing to do with Melo & Stat, but alot to do with
the chemistry plan of players coming off the bench looking lost & confuse....
from Bibby/Shump to Davis/JR Smith

Rookie Shump decision-making from the start of the season needed alot of
coaching & benching.
Rookie Jorts was given the green-light to stand on the 3-ball line on every
offensive play, doing this could end Jorts NBA career as a 6.10 bigman in his rookie season.
Third season....Toney Douglas was never given any plays to call-out for Melo
or Stat or for a bigman teammate to screen or pick for him to use his first
step to draw teammates defenders so he could pass the ball to a moving
teammate, this never happen....but the media had fun blaming Toney Douglas
for a month of Knicks losses.
We have a bench load of talent, but MDA hasnt put any effort to build bench-chemistry.
:smokin:
How should two superstars accept the reality of what their headcoach has been
doing since the start of the season???

nyk_nyk

All Star
Gallo > Lamelo: effort, defense, locker room, off the court.
Lamelo > Gallo: shooting.

+ Gallo outplayed Lamelo when Denver visited MSG for the first time since the trade.

Who the fukc cares about off the court? Melo just doesn't agree with Antoni. Doesn't mean he's bad in the locker room. I'll give you defense and a slight edge on effort. However, there were plenty of times when we were getting on Gallo for not playing defense.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Who the fukc cares about off the court? Melo just doesn't agree with Antoni. Doesn't mean he's bad in the locker room. I'll give you defense and a slight edge on effort. However, there were plenty of times when we were getting on Gallo for not playing defense.

Understand...people hear "off the court" as one of those bandied about media terms that's really hard to define and quantify if you're not actually there....with the players....off the court. So when I see that, I just dismiss it.