Is it just me or does anyone else think the Melo/Amar'e tandem...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
not being able to work is non-sense?

I'm not saying it because it has proved to work, because it hasn't, but I don't recall there ever being a good amount of time for it to show whether or not it would. People say Chandler and Amar'e can't work too, then how come nobody says anything about Amar'e working with K-Mart being the center? Because Chandler is the current start and it'd be too good to be true?

People were saying the Melo/Amar'e tandem couldn't work before it even gave it a chance, and I think people just make up, trying to or not, that they had enough chances. They haven't played enough yet because of injuries.

Can somebody with knowledge of technical aspects of the game explain why you think or others think why Amar'e can't work with Melo and Melo/Chandler so I and others can get a better understanding of those opinions, please?

bigapple

Starter
5 years with pringles in SUNS 3 1/2 with prignles with Pringles in Knicks same style for 9 years and u expect that he will change in few games ? In PHX he was main scoring weapn and playing p&r with Nash. Now in Knicks he isnt main power and he dont have PG like Nash so he is lost but i hate his hands down at the glass so ball will be allways stolen from him.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
West, George and Hibbert can work it out, I have confidence Melo, Amare and Chandler can do the same. West was a 20 point a night guy in his hey day. Each player knows when to pick his spots. We just need to keep Melo at the 3, no shifting, or moving him up and down.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
It's Melo. Glad he's a Knick but the game he plays requires he touch the ball 95% of the time. The problem is he holds the ball too long and the offense looks atrocious. If the guy moved without the ball and caught and got rid of it in under 5 seconds he'd be ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metrocard

Legend
West, George and Hibbert can work it out, I have confidence Melo, Amare and Chandler can do the same. West was a 20 point a night guy in his hey day. Each player knows when to pick his spots. We just need to keep Melo at the 3, no shifting, or moving him up and down.

Hibbert actually blocks shots and players stronger defense than Chandler...on top of that, Hibbert has gone from a non-mobile center to a mobile athletic center with MMA training and a whole new conditioning program. Gasol, Hibbert, Sanders and Ibaka are the elite defensive big men. Chandler hasn't been the same player.

Amare isn't physical like David West, plus West is a better jump shooter. Amare is like a fake jump shooter. He has good form, but he misses most of his jumpshots. He doesn't practice enough.

Melo > George. But George plays A level defense...we need to see Melo step it up on defense.

Kiyaman

Legend
not being able to work is non-sense?

I'm not saying it because it has proved to work, because it hasn't, but I don't recall there ever being a good amount of time for it to show whether or not it would. People say Chandler and Amar'e can't work too, then how come nobody says anything about Amar'e working with K-Mart being the center? Because Chandler is the current start and it'd be too good to be true?

People were saying the Melo/Amar'e tandem couldn't work before it even gave it a chance, and I think people just make up, trying to or not, that they had enough chances. They haven't played enough yet because of injuries.

Can somebody with knowledge of technical aspects of the game explain why you think or others think why Amar'e can't work with Melo and Melo/Chandler so I and others can get a better understanding of those opinions, please?

I told u the two were "OIL & WATER" before the Melo-Trade went down .. uptempo-scorer vs halfcourt-scorer.
Both play NO-DEFENSE as fowards .. which makes two reason they should not be teammates.

In 2008-9 season Amare admitted he didnt have to play defense under Dantoni.
Before the Melo-trade all our past SF (W.Chandler, Harrington, Gallo) kept having 30 point nights when we played against the Melo Nuggets, which explained why the Denver Nuggets always got swept in the first round.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Kiya, i wonder how old u are.... Non of that was a technical answer. It was all subjective like all your other posts. Everything u say is an opinion and not something u can back up with factual evidence. In fact when u try to say factual stuff you're completely wrong... U just said "kept getting swept out the playoffs" in reference to melo but FACT is he only got swept once while in Denver... When it comes to our franchise player you're the worst troll on the board...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Hibbert actually blocks shots and players stronger defense than Chandler...on top of that, Hibbert has gone from a non-mobile center to a mobile athletic center with MMA training and a whole new conditioning program. Gasol, Hibbert, Sanders and Ibaka are the elite defensive big men. Chandler hasn't been the same player.

Amare isn't physical like David West, plus West is a better jump shooter. Amare is like a fake jump shooter. He has good form, but he misses most of his jumpshots. He doesn't practice enough.

Melo > George. But George plays A level defense...we need to see Melo step it up on defense.

See now you're looking at it from an individual skills basis. Chandler has a decent elbow jumper, if given the chance he'll be automatic, rather than just once a night. Amare will play on the block and Melo on the perimeter, if matchups warrant I can see Melo on the block as well, but this will depend on getting a shooter to enter the pass, Kidd, Novak, JR. You need to work this group into a triangle type offense, Amare on the block, Chandler at the elbow with weak side spot up shooters.

erivera

Benchwarmer
they've never had the time together to make it work. it's one thing to do stuff in practice, but until you play games you don't know what you have. amare's health is going to prevent us from finding out how these two could truly play together.

clumsy

Rotation player
We can't really compare us to Indiana. I think George, Hibbert, West is much > than Melo, Amare, Chandler. For one it starts with everyone playing their natural position on Indiana and it just makes more sense. Offensively i think they are a little worse, but defensively they are light years away from Melo, Amare, Chandler.

On Offense - George is the penetrator/scorer for Indiana. West is there for garbage buckets and he can space the floor cuz he's always been known for having a nice midrange. Hibbert has stone hands but he's there more for defense.
On Defense - George is an elite wing defender cuz he has crazy long arms and good understanding on positioning, West is not a good defender, Hibbert is probably top 2 best defensive centers in the lague

Melo was great for us all year (even haters have to admit this). The problem with him playing a majority of time at PF is that we would have to play Amare at C and go small. That would actually be a fine lineup for smaller teams like the Heat, but we do give up a ton of defense in this formation. There are also questions whether Melo has the speed to match up against SF's anymore as well...hence why we have a problem on our hands.

clumsy

Rotation player
Someone in another thread had an excellent post on this. Offensively it clashes because Melo needs to operate in the post and he proved this year he can destroy anyone at PF. From what i see he has 2 more or less unstoppable moves, he either posts a dude and jays in their face or jab steps and takes a dude to the rack. Amare clogs the lane because he's not a great midrange shooter (proven when they tried to make him one last 2 years) and generally need to play by finishing around the basket with plays for him. It would be better in Amare became a post player because Melo could be the facilitator because he has a great midrange and would be the spacing for Amare to operate in the post.

Defensively Melo can't seem to Guards SF's, and Amare can't guard anyone. Those are the potential problems i see with this duo.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Someone in another thread had an excellent post on this. Offensively it clashes because Melo needs to operate in the post and he proved this year he can destroy anyone at PF. From what i see he has 2 more or less unstoppable moves, he either posts a dude and jays in their face or jab steps and takes a dude to the rack. Amare clogs the lane because he's not a great midrange shooter (proven when they tried to make him one last 2 years) and generally need to play by finishing around the basket with plays for him. It would be better in Amare became a post player because Melo could be the facilitator because he has a great midrange and would be the spacing for Amare to operate in the post.

Defensively Melo can't seem to Guards SF's, and Amare can't guard anyone. Those are the potential problems i see with this duo.

On the other hand, Melo will get destroyed on the post by a West, rebounding and post up defense. We were killed on the boards, that has to improve, I'd rather have someone blow by Melo on the perimeter with Chandler back there, then having someone killing Melo on the block. Health wise, too many arms get stuck somewhere in the paint and torn out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, i wonder how old u are.... Non of that was a technical answer. It was all subjective like all your other posts. Everything u say is an opinion and not something u can back up with factual evidence. In fact when u try to say factual stuff you're completely wrong... U just said "kept getting swept out the playoffs" in reference to melo but FACT is he only got swept once while in Denver... When it comes to our franchise player you're the worst troll on the board...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

u want facts ....
My age have nothing to do with Amare & Melo 2 seasons as Knicks look like mixing oil & water.
The two have not mixed well on offense, and the two are a liability together on defense.
And thats not an opinion .. although this is an OPINION forum.
Losing 1-4 in a series is the same as getting swept .. my opinion.

I'm a troll because I dont like a trade or dont like a hiring of a coach or GM makes me a troll .. u r a JOKE

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
After 2 seasons, I dont see Amare & Melo mixing well in 3 or 4 straight games next season, or the future.

I have to disagree. Imo, we need to put a dynamic player in with Melo and Mare. Someone who can push the ball and attack the basket. In terms of defense, they won't make each other better. But maybe the offense will flow better if we can have someone who can attack and penetrate, as well as finish the fast break to bring another element into our offense.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to disagree. Imo, we need to put a dynamic player in with Melo and Mare. Someone who can push the ball and attack the basket. In terms of defense, they won't make each other better. But maybe the offense will flow better if we can have someone who can attack and penetrate, as well as finish the fast break to bring another element into our offense.

So many may disagree and call me a Melo-Hater .. but Grunwald did a great job by adding Jason Kidd & Felton to our roster to run the point .. when Kidd have trouble getting two players (Melo & Amare) to mix it up in a halfcourt-offense & a uptempo-offense its a rap.

Do u recall: Felton & Pablo in the same lineup or Kidd & Pablo in the same lineup, but we keep seeing Melo & JR steady bringing the ball up court to run the point with the two PG in the lineup.
How does Kidd, Felton, and Pablo feel about their PF & SF doing their job, when everyone in the league knows Melo doesnt have the talent to be a point-foward, and JR is the worst combo-guard in the league.
I guess the no ball movement & non-team-ballin factor is all good when ISO-Melo shots are dropping, and ISO-JR.Smith shots start dropping after JR shoots 1-8

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I believe the tandem can work, it has more to do with people giving up their egos and believing in the team as a whole. The way Shumpert , Tyson, and Felton plays is prime example. They put the team before their personal stats. Kidd is another example too but his ability is fading. Melo and Stat have big egos and it's hard to blame them when you look at their salaries. It's hard to put players with big reputations side by side and expect them to work together. Some people just don't get it and never learn that even though you're a superstar it takes 5 people to be on a court to win. You have to be willing to let go of getting all the glory in order to gain it in the end. You will put other people in the spot light and give them morale and incentive to play 100% meanwhile you yourself will gain the glory also because you're natural abilities will always be needed as a superstar. If you force yourself to gain all the accolades, in the end you'll end up losing because the other 4 teammates on the court playing with you end up not wanting to put in 100% effort. Jordan is unbelievably lucky that he had Pippen as his teammate because as great as Jordan's ego was, Pippen had ZERO ego to accommodate Jordan. It must've been hard to be in Jordan's shadow as great as a player as Pippen was. IMO, If he decided to go to a different team, he could've rivaled Jordan but then again neither of them would've won those extra 3 rings. The fact is, because of who Jordan was, whoever played with him had to lower his ego. Carmelo isn't the type of player where other stars will lower their ego to play with him because he just isn't as good and complete as Jordan. Jordan gave his 100% on offense AND defense which caused others in his team to basically do the same thing. The personality clashes of the Knicks' players is the downfall of the team. You can add up great talents but with clashes in personality and egos, there can't be great chemistry. I hope i'm dead wrong and the Knicks can get it together over the summer, sort of how the Heat did after losing to the Mavericks in the 2011 finals. However, I seriously doubt it. Pride is the barrier to many great players from winning championships which is why you can build championship teams around great players that have great chemistry rather than a team that stacks up superstars but have no chemistry because each player wants the team to go in the direction their own way. People with egos think they can only win through they way they envision it in their own minds. They don't trust the team's vision as a whole.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
if amare gives it 100% effort of defense, the tandem can work. the only time he should be thinking about scoring is put backs. but, then again, amare is allergic to defense or mental issue. so, it will probably never work.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The problem is that they both play the SAME position: Power Forward. Both like to start their offense facing up at the top of the circle or iso to one side of the floor. So they trip over each other. Solutions: pick and roll using the two. Amare could set a pick and roll or pop while Melo gets to the rack or pulls up. OR, if STAT can pass Hakeem's big mans camp this summer then STAT could slide down the lane and set up low block two man game with MELO. But STAT would have to be effective enough to draw doubles to free MELO...Would be interesting to see the two on the floor together more but STAT needs to stay HEALTHY....