Arenas to Knicks?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I guess Jeffries + Curry for Arenas would be better than keeping them if we can't trade them. But I would rather stay away from Agent Zero.

Thoughts?

Arenas to Knicks? Walsh says wait and see
January, 15, 2010 Jan 1510:06PM ETEmail Print Share By Chris Sheridan

NEW YORK -- At nearly the exact same moment that Avery Johnson went on ESPN's "NBA Shootaround" show Friday night and demonstrably raised the possibility of the New York Knicks making a push for Gilbert Arenas, that very same topic was a matter of discussion between myself and Knicks president Donnie Walsh.

And although Walsh didn't exactly endorse the notion, he certainly didn't dismiss it.

"I don't know if he's available, and I don?t know if he?s going to be able to play. There are a lot of questions, and we?ll have to see as time passes what the story is, but I know this: When I had guys in the same situation, I traded all of them," Walsh said.

The difficulty of the Wizards finding a taker in an Arenas trade was heightened by the events of Friday afternoon when Arenas pleaded guilty to a felony gun possession charge, and Judge Robert E. Morin scheduled sentencing for March 26.

Arenas remains suspended indefinitely, but commissioner David Stern will eventually have to decide how long of a punishment fits the crime. A 50-game suspension would have the effect of wiping out the possibility of Arenas returning this season, but a less severe suspension (my early guess was 30 games, and I'm sticking with it) would allow for Arenas to return to the court this season. And with the relationship between Arenas and the Wizards organization seemingly headed toward a divorce, the most palatable option for Washington would be to try to find a team willing to trade for the three-time All-Star who has four years and $80 million remaining on his contract -- but who will have sat out the majority of the past two and a half seasons.

"I would assume they are going to go out and try to develop it, because they have to develop the market. That's what I had to do with [Ron] Artest and Stephen [Jackson]," Walsh told ESPN.com. "I mean, nobody?s going to call you up and say ?I want the guy.' So you've got to call up, and it takes time."

Walsh said the situation was comparable to the time when he was president of the Indiana Pacers and was forced by ownership to trade Artest after the infamous Palace brawl, and again after Jackson was arrested for firing a handgun outside a strip club. (Jackson eventually pleaded guilty to a felony and was suspended for 7 games, the league office apparently deciding that his actions were not egregious enough to merit the minimum 10-game suspension mandated in the collective bargaining agreement for any player convicted of a violent felony.)

Walsh ended up trading Artest to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic, and Jackson was dealt to Golden State in a multiplayer deal that brought back Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.

"The first pass, nobody had interest," Walsh recalled of the Artest talks. "But you keep calling, and then something happens to a franchise, and they go ?Yeah, you know what, we might be interested.'"

Walsh agreed with the assessment that with so much in limbo, Arenas -- for the time being -- is virtually untradable.

"Temporarily, because you've got to see what happens here, because I don?t know what the league is going to do, I don?t know what the court is going to do, but after it?s all cleared up, then it?s easier to answer that question."

The Knicks remain committed to clearing as much salary-cap space as they can for the summer of 2010, and they'll have enough room to go after another max-contract player in the summer of 2011 if they keep Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries on the roster for the remainder of this season and all of next season.

If they traded Curry and Jeffries (combined 2010-11 salaries of $18.15 million ) for Arenas (2010-11 salary of $17.73 million), they would in effect be taking themselves out of the 2011 free agent market because Arenas is owed $19.3 in '11-12, $20.8 million in '12-13, and $22.3 million in '13-14. But one prominent league official suggested that if Arenas was amenable to modifying his contract, agreeing to a team option in each of the final two or three years of his deal (Arenas currently has an early termination option after the '11-12 season), his tradability would increase significantly. But Arenas would thereby be putting $40-61 million of guaranteed money at risk, making for one hell of a huge financial gamble.

I asked Walsh whether he' would sacrifice his 2011 cap flexibility to trade for Arenas. His reply: "I?d have to make that decision at that time. But he?s a very good player."

Arenas is eventually going to try to resurrect his career somewhere, and New York -- the Knicks need a point guard -- cannot be dismissed as a possible option.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12326/arenas-to-knicks-walsh-says-wait-and-see

choop

Rookie
god i hope not... terrible waste of money on a player who is past his prime and is guaranteed way too much money with way too high of a chance of re-injuring himself... or shooting up the garden

ANU

Starter
they need to deal jamison and butler first; AND IF THEY include their 2010 first round pick unprotected with arenas, you jump on that deal.they are easily one of the worst assembled teams in the league.we land wall

wall
james
chandler
gallinari
hill

6th man gil.i'd do it.but only if butler and jamison get dealt first.

Last edited:

johnstarky

Rotation player
Donnie Walsh should stay very far away from Gilbert Arenas.The Knicks don't need another thug on their team that doesn't know how to handle himself in the locker room.We've already learned from the past that talent alone doesn't translate into winning.Plus, Gilbert Arenas has been just as injury prone as Tracy Mcgrady throughout the past few years and is no where near the superstar player that he was when he took the Wizards to the playoffs.His contract would be another bad investment that would set the Knicks back for another 5 years.He would probably be sitting on the bench like Eddie Curry for the remainder of his contract.Trading for him could turn out to be a sequel to the Antonio Mcdyess trade.I don't think Walsh is dumb enough to make such a trade.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
If we dont get rid of Jeffries or Curry this year, we could still trade them next year for MUCH better players. Maybe Al Jefferson will be in the market next year? Kevin Martin? Jamison? D-Harris? Maybe even Cp3? So going after "All Style no Substance" Arenas would not be a good move imo.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we dont get rid of Jeffries or Curry this year, we could still trade them next year for MUCH better players. Maybe Al Jefferson will be in the market next year? Kevin Martin? Jamison? D-Harris? Maybe even Cp3? So going after "All Style no Substance" Arenas would not be a good move imo.
I highly doubt CP3 is going anywhere.He's a rare a player as LeBron.

And yeah, we can trade them for much better player, this would be not be a good move to trade for him with his recent trouble and recent injuries.

We need to improve our team, but this is the first time we have this money, and we'll have more money the season after next even if we don't trade them.

The interesting part about this though, what would Gilbert's contract do to another max free agent?Could we?Maybe, then just MAYBE...but I rather not.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Fans love Arenas

I guess Jeffries + Curry for Arenas would be better than keeping them if we can't trade them. But I would rather stay away from Agent Zero.

Thoughts?

Might be playing in the prison league, but I think you will see Hughes and Arenas on the Wizards next year. Even if Hughes comes off the bench.
Jeffries probably would not mind going there also, bring back that 06 team with some fresh talent and vets. Nobody is going to take that contract, charges, injuries in the 2010 free for all.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Knicks aren't going to sacrifice cap space reserved for the best free agent class of all time and use it on an injury-prone PG who's spent the past two years on the disabled list, no matter how good he is.

I would love to have Gilbert Arenas on this team but his contract is simply impossible to move

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Donnie Walsh should stay very far away from Gilbert Arenas.The Knicks don't need another thug on their team that doesn't know how to handle himself in the locker room.We've already learned from the past that talent alone doesn't translate into winning.Plus, Gilbert Arenas has been just as injury prone as Tracy Mcgrady throughout the past few years and is no where near the superstar player that he was when he took the Wizards to the playoffs.His contract would be another bad investment that would set the Knicks back for another 5 years.He would probably be sitting on the bench like Eddie Curry for the remainder of his contract.Trading for him could turn out to be a sequel to the Antonio Mcdyess trade.I don't think Walsh is dumb enough to make such a trade.

I damn sure dont want Gil our team but what makes him a thug because he has guns? There are plenty of rednecks with guns and they are not considered the same are they ?

Scribbles

Rotation player
There were reports that Gilbert used to shit in his teammates sneakers. Words can't descrbe how wild this kid is.... LMAO

Hell no to his contract though....

The reward is no where close to the risk of future cap flexibility.

Starks

Starter
I would feel dirty being a Knick fan knowing this retarded fool is a Knick. He should be fired from the NBA.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well, we did accept Sprewell after he showed what he can do.The biggest problem with this trade is there is no guarantee that LeBron is signing with the Knicks.I rather this team make no big moves for a year or two then taking unnecessary risks.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I damn sure dont want Gil our team but what makes him a thug because he has guns? There are plenty of rednecks with guns and they are not considered the same are they ?

Any player that sets the wrong example, to millions of people, by bringing guns into the locker room is a thug.It has nothing to do with his race or ethnicity.If Dirk Nowitzki was walking around the American Airlines Center,before a practice, with a couple of guns hanging out of his back pocket and giving the National Basketball Association a bad name in the process he would be considered a thug as well.

Gilbert Arenas has nobody to blame but himself for his outlandish behavior.He gets paid very well to play a teenager's game but goes ahead and behaves like an adolescent who doesn't have a clue about moral values.And when he gets introuble he goes ahead and takes everything as one big joke.Very typical behavior for an athelte who feels like they could act however they want and get away with it.I wouldn't want a person like that playing for the Knicks.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Gilbert Arenas is an All Star, clutch, 20 point per game scorer.

I don't think the Knicks have any chance of getting him, but if the Wizards decide to trade him, the Knicks should make an offer.

Arenas is one of the best guards in the league, and he's WAY better than any of the current Knick guards.

The Knicks could offer David Lee and Eddy Curry for Gilbert Arenas. Lee is going to ask for at least 10 million/year, now that he's averaging almost 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Arenas makes 18 million/year.

Let's say the Knicks sign Lee for 8 million.
Curry is going to make 11 million.

That's 19 million for Lee and Curry, and I doubt Lee would take 8 million. He probably wants 10-12 million.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Gilbert Arenas is an All Star, clutch, 20 point per game scorer.

I don't think the Knicks have any chance of getting him, but if the Wizards decide to trade him, the Knicks should make an offer.

Arenas is one of the best guards in the league, and he's WAY better than any of the current Knick guards.

The Knicks could offer David Lee and Eddy Curry for Gilbert Arenas. Lee is going to ask for at least 10 million/year, now that he's averaging almost 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Arenas makes 18 million/year.

Let's say the Knicks sign Lee for 8 million.
Curry is going to make 11 million.

That's 19 million for Lee and Curry, and I doubt Lee would take 8 million. He probably wants 10-12 million.

Correction: Arenas used to be an All-Star. Yes he was clutch, but only in the regular season. When it was time to dance with Bron Bron in the playoffs Agent "Zero" always choked. He ALWAYS had a better team than Bron Bron, but failed to get his Wiz past the 1st round. Arenas is a choker come playoff time. We are aiming for the championship, not the 2nd round bro. Lee>Arenas. We can do better than Gilbert Arenas as our 2 guard. Plus his contract is Isiah Thomas like. You really want a 6 year 111 mil bust?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Correction: Arenas used to be an All-Star. Yes he was clutch, but only in the regular season. When it was time to dance with Bron Bron in the playoffs Agent "Zero" always choked. He ALWAYS had a better team than Bron Bron, but failed to get his Wiz past the 1st round. Arenas is a choker come playoff time. We are aiming for the championship, not the 2nd round bro. Lee>Arenas. We can do better than Gilbert Arenas as our 2 guard. Plus his contract is Isiah Thomas like. You really want a 6 year 111 mil bust?

Gilbert Arenas was averaging 22.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 7.2 assists, before he got into the gun incident. Those are All Star numbers.

The Knicks have to make the playoffs, before they can think about becoming a championship team.

Arenas is not a choke artist. I don't blame him for not being able to beat Lebron James' Cavaliers.

Lee>Arenas? Are you serious?

Lee's numbers are highly inflated, due to the fact that nobody else on the Knick front court can rebound or consistently get layups and dunks.

Who on the Knicks, besides Lee, can get rebounds? Jeffries? Harrington? Gallinari? Chandler? None of those guys average more than 5 rebounds.

If Lee was on a winning team, he'd be averaging 12 points and 10 rebounds.

He has tons of hype around him, and he will probably ask for at least 10 million/yr for 4-5 years.

Lee has never led a team to the playoffs and probably never will, so you can't say he's better than Arenas.

Maybe you'd rather keep Lee than trade for Arenas, but that doesn't make him better.

As for Arenas' contract, Lee and Curry combine for 17 million/yr. That is about what Arenas makes.

111/6=18 million

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Never happen

Well, we did accept Sprewell after he showed what he can do.The biggest problem with this trade is there is no guarantee that LeBron is signing with the Knicks.I rather this team make no big moves for a year or two then taking unnecessary risks.

Hughes and Arenas and Lebron are tight, after how D'Ant has messed with Hughes, no way either will be on the MSG for a home game.
Coaches are pretty dumb when it comes to this, but some players become tight friends, check out before and after games on the court if your able.
D'Ant playing Duhon with worst stats and all the court time a prime player could want over Hughes, who can't even get his shot down (except in December when we had the best record in a decade) is just to easy to see.
D'Ant saying in the New York Post that Chris Duhon is his favorite player make me want to hurl. Douglas, Robinson, Hughes deserve way more minutes.
if he was down to 20 minutes and these terrible stats I could handle, the superstar treatment by D'Ant and the press are just blind.
Three player agents want their players out and you want to bring in the winning team next year? D'Ant ain't no player coach anymore. Hell, he talks to Nash longer than his own team when playing Phoenix. Coach, you went for the money, treat and talk to your players, it's your team, not your workers. You do not have superstars and your screwing any recruitment for 2010 no matter how much money you put out. Those guys want a ring, not themselves and everyone else's head messed up by your ego trip. :boohoo: