Official Bring Back Wilson Chandler Thread

portega1968

El Cacique
Ya'll seen the news that the guys in China would be available in early March when the Chinese basketball league is over, and that the knicks may be saving the mini 2.5mil for either Kenyon Martin or Wilson Chandler.

This is my holler for the Knicks doing whatever it takes to focus on former Knick Chandler. Kmart is older, a former Nets, has been injured so many times and does not have the versatility of Will C, who can play the 2, 3 and 4, block shots, shoot the three and loves the Knicks.

iMO, this is the missing piece to the roster that will knock out the Heat in the playoffs. I'm not sure if he's a restricted free agent, but that should not stop us from doing whatever it takes to go get him, and I feel he would take less money with us in a short term deal over whatever any other team may offer.

What do you think are our chances?

fender0577

Rotation player
I second that, i think K-mart is finished.Wilson was looking like a border line all-star when we traded him, and i would love to see him leading our second unit.

iSaYughh

Starter
Pretty good. Him going to China could be a blessing. Apparently, judging by his twitter, he hates lifestyle and environment over there.

He loves NYC above all else.

If he were to ever take lower pay to play for us, it would be right after fleeing China and back to.the U.S.

He would be a supreme addition. We need help backing up the 3, 4, and he would add proven.stability if needed to the 2.

Baron
Chandler
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Douglas, Fields, Shumpert, Jeffries, Bibby, Novak.

Wow.

Wilson Chandler would be an EXCELLENT addition bro, WC would put us over the top and he'd be a perfect fit. He's extremely versatile, can back up Melo and STAT and would be a way better stretch 3/4 than Shawne Williams ever was. People forget how good Wilson was playing with us, dude was a beast. Is there any chance we can sign Kenyon Martin with a vet min and Wilson Chandler will our 2.5M MLE? Imagine K-Mart & Wilson to go along with our current team? Wow...... just wow :gony: Sucks that we can't sign them till March.

fender0577

Rotation player
How about we try to get in the draft and steal Shabazz Napier? He's skilling it.

We are a top 3 seed this year, baring injury, knock on wood.That's not gonna happen, and if we did get that high of a pick, we should take andre drummond, that kids a beast.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Chandler is restricted so Denver can match and they will

If he signs the QO then he becomes Unrestricted in 2012 FA and we can sign him for the MLE, if Baron does well re-sign him and sign K-Mart and let Jeffries go

iSaYughh

Starter
Chandler is restricted so Denver can match and they will

If he signs the QO then he becomes Unrestricted in 2012 FA and we can sign him for the MLE, if Baron does well re-sign him and sign K-Mart and let Jeffries go

Good stuff.

The beauty of our team is that we can go to war each year cherry-picking guys who fit based off the MLE, all while evaluating our current prospects and future drafts.

I sometimes dogged Wilson because of how I perceived Gallo's superiority and all the hate Gallo got....

But Wilson legit likes NY, and he would be a great, great fit for this team, no matter how you dice it.

His defense, versatility, and shooting would be tremendous; as well as his ability to be a slashing player, when he is on the court and Melo and/or STAT are not.

In an ideal world, Shumpert manages to be a starting PG for us next year; Fields stays as our 2; and Chandler/Douglas/Jorts/Jeffries/Novak round out a pretty lethal, dynamic bench.

IMO, if Shumpert doesn't show he can be a 1 (and that's a very realistic possibility for us, even if he becomes a quality 2), we'll prolly never see Chandler, as I'm sure we will swoop in on a bone fide PG.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Good stuff.

The beauty of our team is that we can go to war each year cherry-picking guys who fit based off the MLE, all while evaluating our current prospects and future drafts.

I sometimes dogged Wilson because of how I perceived Gallo's superiority and all the hate Gallo got....

But Wilson legit likes NY, and he would be a great, great fit for this team, no matter how you dice it.

His defense, versatility, and shooting would be tremendous; as well as his ability to be a slashing player, when he is on the court and Melo and/or STAT are not.

In an ideal world, Shumpert manages to be a starting PG for us next year; Fields stays as our 2; and Chandler/Douglas/Jorts/Jeffries/Novak round out a pretty lethal, dynamic bench.

IMO, if Shumpert doesn't show he can be a 1 (and that's a very realistic possibility for us, even if he becomes a quality 2), we'll prolly never see Chandler, as I'm sure we will swoop in on a bone fide PG.

D'Antoni has said Shumpert's game is "facilitating" so that means he can possibly play point, hopefully he develops him into that and we get an ideal 2 Guard, I like Fields I just think we need a Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen guy maybe Ben Gordon and have him and Shumpert play in the back court with Shumpert defending the better guard. Sign Chandler for the MLE, grab K-Mart and we're good

Shumpert/Douglas/Vet Min.
Gordon/2nd Round Pick or Buy into 1st Round
Anthony/Chandler
Stoudemire/Martin
Chandler/Harrellson/Jordan

iSaYughh

Starter
D'Antoni has said Shumpert's game is "facilitating" so that means he can possibly play point, hopefully he develops him into that and we get an ideal 2 Guard, I like Fields I just think we need a Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen guy maybe Ben Gordon and have him and Shumpert play in the back court with Shumpert defending the better guard. Sign Chandler for the MLE, grab K-Mart and we're good

Shumpert/Douglas/Vet Min.
Gordon/2nd Round Pick or Buy into 1st Round
Anthony/Chandler
Stoudemire/Martin
Chandler/Harrellson/Jordan

Right. A Ray Allen type is absolutely idea. Ben Gordon is a really good idea....Seems doable; he is what he is, but what he does well we could use.

I don't think Fields should be starting on this team, either. A three-headed bench monster of Fields-Douglas-Chandler would be a killer to throw at teams. With Jorts/Novak/Jeffries/Jordan as our big men bench would be sick.

I like that we are giving Shumpert a shot at being our 1. I hope he has what it takes and progresses as quickly as it seems he is.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
D'Antoni needs to earn his money with Shumpert.

Offensive genius? The man responsible for Steve Nash's success? Let's see it. Let me see how Shumpert gets better under the tutelage of the oh so great D'Antoni.

la2ny

Starter
Hell, we should just sign Kenyon then next year we should just sign Ray Allen, Steve Nash and resign Baron Davis.

Nash/Davis/Shumpert
Allen/Douglas/Shumpert
MELO/Fields/Balkman
STAT/Martin
Chandler/JORTS/Jordan

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If Baron plays very good don't be surprised if we have to offer him the MLE to get him back.

Before you say that's crazy...don't get greedy. We're very fortunate as it is, and that would not be a bad contract if he does add that much to our team this season.

Wargames

Starter
Chandler is an RFA.

K-Mart is probably our best bet.

^^^^ This. The Knicks cannot bid on Wilson Chandler this year, let alone actually get him. The only way to get Wilson Chandler is if a few key things happen.

1. He goes back to Denver and take the Qualifying offer this year so he can be an Unrestricted Free agent next summer.

2. Either Denver buries him on there bench due to him being a late arrival at a non needed place, also they have to not trade him to a team that needs a sg/sf for a piece they do need.

3. Other teams have to not overpay him with a 8-10 million dollar deal (I can see the Nets doing this because they continue to try to steal knock fans by acquiring players the Knicks want (Melo=Fail, S. Williams=steal). So the Nets would have to have the epiphany that all they're doing is pissing knock fans off.

4. Then he would have to accept about 6 million a year for 3 years and with his addition about 2 rings at least.

K.Matt can just choose to come to New York and play for a ring. If he accepts the 2.5 for 2 years that's great he is basically ending his career here, as a good bench player and adds that Oakley presense we fans are always clamoring.

As for the PG situation the best scenario is Baron works out and agrees to sign for cheap again next year since Cleveland is paying him next year as well. Then in the 2013 the Knicks could hopefully sign him to a decent deal to continue winning in NY.

As for the draft who knows the Knicks are pretty stacked. Wilson Chandler if he came here would be to be a sixth man player due to his versitility (similar to odom who can play the 3,4,5). The Knicks should be covered at all needs right now and only need diversity on the bench.

Last edited:

la2ny

Starter
If Baron plays very good don't be surprised if we have to offer him the MLE to get him back.

Before you say that's crazy...don't get greedy. We're very fortunate as it is, and that would not be a bad contract if he does add that much to our team this season.

I was joking, but honestly if Baron plays well there isn't really a need for Nash.

New New York

Quiet Storm
^^^^ This. The Knicks cannot bid on Wilson Chandler this year, let alone actually get him. The only way to get Wilson Chandler is if a few key things happen.

1. He goes back to Denver and take the Qualifying offer this year so he can be an Unrestricted Free agent next summer.

2. Either Denver buries him on there bench due to him being a late arrival at a non needed place, also they have to not trade him to a team that needs a sg/sf for a piece they do need.

3. Other teams have to not overpay him with a 8-10 million dollar deal (I can see the Nets doing this because they continue to try to steal knock fans by acquiring players the Knicks want (Melo=Fail, S. Williams=steal). So the Nets would have to have the epiphany that all they're doing is pissing knock fans off.

4. Then he would have to accept about 6 million a year for 3 years and with his addition about 2 rings at least.

K.Matt can just choose to come to New York and play for a ring. If he accepts the 2.5 for 2 years that's great he is basically ending his career here, as a good bench player and adds that Oakley presense we fans are always clamoring.

As for the PG situation the best scenario is Baron works out and agrees to sign for cheap again next year since Cleveland is paying him next year as well. Then in the 2013 the Knicks could hopefully sign him to a decent deal to continue winning in NY.

As for the draft who knows the Knicks are pretty stacked. Wilson Chandler if he came here would be to be a sixth man player due to his versitility (similar to odom who can play the 3,4,5). The Knicks should be covered at all needs right now and only need diversity on the bench.

Mr. Chandler will not be ready til March the chances that there is going to be a bunch of teams lined up throwing money at him is remote

True Denver can match anything offered, but come March they will have two mindsets, if they are playing well then "if it aint broke why fix it" if they are out of the playoff hunt then they may view paying for yet another SF (they have Gallo,Al Harrington,Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer) foolish!

Denver can match, but I doubt they will, must we forget that Wilson also was in and out of the rotation towards the end of the season.

Other teams will have more than the 2.5 to offer, but teams with cap space at that point in the season are not going to be contenders for anything but lottery positioning.

The Knicks have a legit shot at Chandler it comes down to if we can hold on to the minny MLE til then.

Wilson was my favorite Knick and I would love to have him back!!!

He can play SF PF and SG for us and defend all three of those positions well.

If he came back for less money this year, the Knicks would own his Bird Rights, thus he makes his money with us next off season!

Wargames

Starter
But isn't the 2.5 prorated ( IE a depreciating asset) worth less than Chandler's QO? At Max that is 3.1 so even depreciated it is more than the Knicks can afford.

Like I said the only way he can become a Knick is if he accepts the QO (this is almost automatic) from Denver and then becomes a FA next summer when the Knicks can offer him the Full MLE. As for his bird rights Odds are Denver would send them to the Knicks if they still have them since the Knicks could send them some money not to hate (The Knicks got that Dolan Money!!!)

You are right about the market being in the Knicks favor due to Denver's SF glut minimizing his ability to showoff, however trades and haters (the nets) and just teams with more cap may interrupt the plan.

In the Knicks favor is the fact W. Chandler seems to want to cone back and the Knicks know he would be a productive commodity (his playoff numbers were horrid but I think it was all mental).

Also him coming back assumes that Baron Davis plays the point to his full ability. If not the MLE next year will go to sessions.....

Or who knows maybe Phil Jackson joins the Knicks and recruit Lamar Odom.... (If this becomes an official rumor on Espn I want credit lol)

Last edited: