Why did we offer Amare $100M for 5 years

CoolClyde

Kiya on Fiyah

wow, one of the heaviest posts and point-counterpoints from the Kiyaman I've ever read. tho I agree we may have overpaid Stat, it was necessary for the Knicks to bust a move quickly, rather than wait for everything and everyone to pan out.

we could not sign DLEE right away, even evil agent Barleycorn knows that. we're in the situation where we have to wait/see what James/Wade/Bosh decide, and DLEE's in the same boat as far as signing him, or him signing with another team. He's going all out to see what he's worth to the rest of the league, and the Knicks can't do, say or offer sh*t until then.

Stat is not f*cking around, going from team to team, enjoying the free agent ride; he is the only FA (not staying home) to make up his mind about where he wants to be, how he intends to lead, and entice other FA's to the team. He is EXACTLY what the Knicks needed at this point. Call it a chess move by Knicks management, whether they pay him $90M or $100M, little Jimmy Dolan can afford it, and Donnie putting Knicks under cap enables us to sign more than one big gun. It's an amazingly smart move, and I totally support the Knicks aggressive stance. Stat is worth it, from his skills, to his leadership, to his ability, familiarity with Knicks coaches, and he makes the team more palpable. They have just become a MUCH BETTER TEAM with him on board!! Admit it!

Anyway, I think all y'all Kiya haters owe him an apology for speaking his mind and starting this thread. He gets his point across, there's no need to diss his writing, speech or frame of mind. Just agree to disagree without cutting him down so negatively. Leave that crap to Metrotard and Trillion lbs.

Peace out.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Bosh is a soft faggit, im glad we aint get that clown...This is the fukkin New York Knicks, not the Utah Knicks. Amare goes hard on offense (no homo)

MSG is back.......again loll, thats what im talking about bro, i agree with you 100% seriously, Bosh is soft and would rather go for the turnaround then slamming it in someones face-which STAT does consistently cant wait to see KG get slammed on by this dude

as stat said "the knicks are back" :cool:

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
MSG is back.......again loll, thats what im talking about bro, i agree with you 100% seriously, Bosh is soft and would rather go for the turnaround then slamming it in someones face-which STAT does consistently cant wait to see KG get slammed on by this dude

as stat said "the knicks are back" :cool:

so patrick ewing was soft because he took jump shots? GTFOH... You guys need to stop with this bullshyt of since a dude dunks a lot he is a beast... NO that doesn't make him a beast that just makes him able to dunk...Shyt Gerald Wilkins and Kenny Walker were great dunkers for the Knicks, where did that ever get us... the hell is wrong with you guys, this isn't the 60s 70s and 80s when people were enamored with dunks... give me a break

WrongIslander

Rotation player
wow, one of the heaviest posts and point-counterpoints from the Kiyaman I've ever read. tho I agree we may have overpaid Stat, it was necessary for the Knicks to bust a move quickly, rather than wait for everything and everyone to pan out.

we could not sign DLEE right away, even evil agent Barleycorn knows that. we're in the situation where we have to wait/see what James/Wade/Bosh decide, and DLEE's in the same boat as far as signing him, or him signing with another team. He's going all out to see what he's worth to the rest of the league, and the Knicks can't do, say or offer sh*t until then.

Stat is not f*cking around, going from team to team, enjoying the free agent ride; he is the only FA (not staying home) to make up his mind about where he wants to be, how he intends to lead, and entice other FA's to the team. He is EXACTLY what the Knicks needed at this point. Call it a chess move by Knicks management, whether they pay him $90M or $100M, little Jimmy Dolan can afford it, and Donnie putting Knicks under cap enables us to sign more than one big gun. It's an amazingly smart move, and I totally support the Knicks aggressive stance. Stat is worth it, from his skills, to his leadership, to his ability, familiarity with Knicks coaches, and he makes the team more palpable. They have just become a MUCH BETTER TEAM with him on board!! Admit it!

Anyway, I think all y'all Kiya haters owe him an apology for speaking his mind and starting this thread. He gets his point across, there's no need to diss his writing, speech or frame of mind. Just agree to disagree without cutting him down so negatively. Leave that crap to Metrotard and Trillion lbs.

Peace out.

Such a good post it needed repeating.

quiggle

Starter
some of you forget it was because of him the Suns had to trade Marion who is better than him, and he's been known to be a disruption in the locker room the last seasons with the Suns.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
:2cents:I just want to add that I am all for this. We need more credible stars to bring in "more credible" players.

Amare jumped out there signing with us unless he has an inside track on the KING. My only problem is I actually think David is worth just as much.:2cents:

KBlack25

Starter
I understand some may be upset at this deal, but I heard this theory on Mike & Mike this morning, and it's one I agree with and have stated before, they just articulated it a bit better.

There's going to now be an "Escape to NY" race between LBJ and Wade. Basically, NY is going to try and tell these guys, "If you commit to us you will come here, 100% you will play with a top big man. If you do not commit to us, you could be left in the dust without a superstar."

Basically, there are two really good big men out there: Amar'e and CB4. I think Boozer is going back to Utah. So basically, if LBJ and Wade do not want to be left totally without a top-tier big man, one has to sign in NY. It's half scare-tactics, half rational thinking on the part of the Knicks. Will it land someone? Maybe. But I think this was Walsh's plan all-along, he by his own admission did not have a particular player in mind. He just knew he needed to lock up a top-tier free agent to entice others.

I bet today Walsh is calling LBJ's and Wade's people saying "We have a top-tier big man, you want to play with him, commit. If Wade commits before you do, LeBron, we are going to go with Wade (and vice versa)."

They are going to play LBJ and Wade off each other, make them realize they can play in the #1 city in the world with a top-tier Big Man, and if they elect not to, they may be shit out of luck. It's a good signing, pending the arrival of someone else.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Sugar Clyder!

Peace out.

Ooooooooh! Clyde - posting and toasting! Well put sir!:beat:

Gotta say though, the big qualm with the signing is that there is potential for failure at such high cost. The risk/reward ratio is not as good as it could be. That's how I'm seeing it, and I admit to cynicism.

And...... Don't be hating on Kiya boys. He's a lover... Never seen him get nasty on anyone before this thread.

I love Amare,but in year 3...when either he needs more knee or eye surgery and he still doesn't play defense and still only grabbing 6-8 rebounds per game, Knicks fans are going to be regretting this deal no doubt in my mind,hell maybe even before.

Any word on if The Knicks are doing a sign and trade with Lee??

mafra

Legend
This was a no-brainer. Knicks had to overpay because we've been a joke for ten years (and have Dolan). But, all we really did was hand STAT an extra year (the 5th) and probably 3-4 million.

Like Brian Cashman said:

"In free agency, it's not about cutting the best deal, it's about securing the player," Cashman said. "I gave CC an extra year and an out after three years because we needed him. We couldn't afford to lose him. He was the most vital piece to our entire game plan in free agency."

"You don't get a gold star for saving money on a deal; your goal is to win championships," Cashman said. "You can't enter the free-agent market as a buyer hoping to beat the other teams by one dollar. You can't mess around and lose the player."

"LeBron James is going to be a Knick," Brian Cashman, ace free-agent recruiter, said Monday after hearing the Stoudemire news . "I'm convinced of it. New York is the place that will allow him to be the player and person he wants to be, and it's coming together. Just listen to me, LeBron James will be a Knick."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?id=5356746

We knew the only shot we had to get Lebron or Wade was to get Amar'e (or perhaps Bosh). We did our job. NO regrets now. If they say NO now, they never were coming here.

Also, we needed that pioneer.... to give NY a chance. Amar'e did that. Good for him.

As theknicksblog.com wrote:

?They?re starting something,? All-Star Carmelo Anthony is said to have uttered to confidants Monday upon hearing the news of Stoudemire?s commitment to the Knicks.

Here we go!

Even if we miss out on LJ-WADE and end up getting a player via S-&-T with LEE.... Grab a Monta Ellis and a Felton/Mill/Kover/C type player....

We still will be in good shape, and ready to strike again next Summer.

None of this happens without Amar'e, and we don't get STAT unless we go slightly above and beyond.

quiggle

Starter
I don't want to hear what Brian Cashman thinks, the Yankees were foolish enough to go into a bidding war with their own selves and way overpaid Carstens. I'd like to see the Yankees operate in the NBA world of cap, and they are Nets supporters so don't bring them here.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Cashman operates in a different setting but he has a point - you pay what you have to to get a player. I'm convinced that someone would've offered Amar'e a max deal - hell, after the deals that Rudy Gay and Joe Johnson got there was no way Amar'e was going to get anything less than that since he's better than those guys - if we didn't offer him the max, the Clippers/Bulls/Heat would've thrown him an equally large contract.

mafra

Legend
And there was also the timing issue. We needed to have him locked up by the weekend, so we could use that as bait to lure Lebron.

We didn't have the luxury of playing hard ball. Even if we don't get Lebron, at least we get peace of mind now knowing we did all we could to get him. He can't use our weak rosters as an excuse anymore.

metrocard

Legend
I love Amare,but in year 3...when either he needs more knee or eye surgery and he still doesn't play defense and still only grabbing 6-8 rebounds per game, Knicks fans are going to be regretting this deal no doubt in my mind,hell maybe even before.

Any word on if The Knicks are doing a sign and trade with Lee??

Amare isn't a BAD rebounder. Lets get over this already.

sickboy

Rookie
i know NYK fans are tough, but damn. we might have overpaid STAT a little bit, but all that means is we beat another team to the punch. STAT woulda got MAX from someone else, guaranteed, but he wanted to be here. we should be lovin that.
sure, he's got holes in his game, but he is still a sick player and his signing does not set our roster in stone...the best situation for amare is to be in a pick/roll offense with a distributing PG, which we ain't got. but this ain't over; we got more work to do and more money to spend.
even if this doesn't work out this season, we have STAT for a long time, and we have other players to build around. this ain't as BOOM or BUST as people make it out to be...it's a long way til the season starts.
plus, the cries of "BOSH > STAT" are horseshit and i ain't buyin a street-ounce of that. bosh is a pansy on both sides of the floor.

off-season ain't over.

Kiyaman

Legend
Big Thanks to members in KO Forum

Thanking all the supporters on this thread :beer:
Drinks is on Kiyaman :smokin:

So many KO members added new insight to this signing of Amare,
inwhich I was blinded to by the $100M 5 year contract.
I dont mean the posibility of landing Lebron/Wade, u all know by now
that has been a "Slot-Machine" myth to Kiya for 2 straight years.

Amare being the first top FA to sign with the next NBA team is probably
the main reason it cost us a $100M to start the dominoe effect in FA, before
alot of other top FA started following suit in resigning with their former teams.

I never believed in getting something for nothing, so my
pessimistic/cyncism for two years on Walsh/Dantoni has not stopped.
I'm sure the Suns organization is on the Phone with Stern about the Knicks.
The Lakers wanted unrestricted FA Ron Artest, so they let go of unrestricted FA Trevor Ariza, so not to cause any fuss.

The Knicks now have the chance to start their "rebuilding-process" with the resigning of David Lee/Earl Barron/T-Mac/Walker for the 2010-11 season.
A special Big Thanks to certain KO members, u know who u are
:peace:
RESPECT
Kiya :smokin:
:gony:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Thanking all the supporters on this thread :beer:
Drinks is on Kiyaman :smokin:

So many KO members added new insight to this signing of Amare,
inwhich I was blinded to by the $100M 5 year contract.
I dont mean the posibility of landing Lebron/Wade, u all know by now
that has been a "Slot-Machine" myth to Kiya for 2 straight years.

Amare being the first top FA to sign with the next NBA team is probably
the main reason it cost us a $100M to start the dominoe effect in FA, before
alot of other top FA started following suit in resigning with their former teams.

I never believed in getting something for nothing, so my
pessimistic/cyncism for two years on Walsh/Dantoni has not stopped.
I'm sure the Suns organization is on the Phone with Stern about the Knicks.
The Lakers wanted unrestricted FA Ron Artest, so they let go of unrestricted FA Trevor Ariza, so not to cause any fuss.

The Knicks now have the chance to start their "rebuilding-process" with the resigning of David Lee/Earl Barron/T-Mac/Walker for the 2010-11 season.
A special Big Thanks to certain KO members, u know who u are
:peace:
RESPECT
Kiya :smokin:
:gony:
Drinks IS on Kiya.

SMFH...lol