NBA Summer League 2019

I could totally see us running an offense where on 50% of our possessions, it is RJ who brings the ball up and runs the offense.

Unlike last year, Fizdale is going to have a bunch of options to get creative on offense and defense. Time to show some improvement this season.

mafra

Legend
Yes!

We have a bunch of actual NBA rotation bodies. Minutes must be earned...
This team the talent to be a playoff team, if they play as a team.

Up to FIZ to start coaching and stop talking.

tiger0330

Legend
I could totally see us running an offense where on 50% of our possessions, it is RJ who brings the ball up and runs the offense.

Unlike last year, Fizdale is going to have a bunch of options to get creative on offense and defense. Time to show some improvement this season.

Not me saying this, although I agree with it. They were saying that on the broadcast...

It won’t be something this year.... even tho they’ll run the ball through him. Think Harden and TMac.

He may not be PG in name but, for all intents and purposes, he’ll be the primary ball handler.

Obviously, they’ll prefer to have RJ work in shot and get comfortable.... but regardless... wing or PG... he’ll be the dominant ball-handler/lfacilitator.

And, again, why not?

3rd year in the league and Simmons made just 2 shots all season beyond 15 feet. RJ can certainly be that in his 3rd season, no?

His handle not as bad as Knox’s... and, sure... he’ll need a lead guard out there (like Harden and MJ and Kobe)... but, like all those ball dominant wing (SG) types... they control the flow of the offense, especially in the 4th.

That was his thing at duke... grab the defensive board and take off. He can pass too... when he wants!
I just want him to start, whatever you want to call him PG SG. He’s not ready for what D’Ants did with Harden and turn over the keys to him but Harden before D’Antoni had much of the ball handling responsibility and he’s always been a terrific passer. I could see him being that 2 years from now but for now he’ll be on the floor with DSJ EP and you won’t see lineups without DSJ EP or even Nits if he shows improvement this season.

mafra

Legend
Exactly. Just as Harden spent time off the ball...

Point is, and it?s significant bc Knicks haven?t had a viable PG, for the most part, in a generation.

The urgency won?t be as bad in 2 years, if DSJ/Knits fail... bc in his 3rd-4th season, RJ will be our de facto PG.

Anyway... like you said... If NY does this right, in summer 2021... RJ?s standing in the league should be on par or greater than what Tatum and Ingram are right now.

mafra

Legend
Rookie shooting guard RJ Barrett wanted to play the final summer league game, a consolation finale Saturday against Washington.

Knicks brass was leaning toward shutting him down after four games to avoid an injury, but Barrett felt there was more to gain.

Barrett is glad he played, finishing with a near triple-double in his most efficient outing in Las Vegas as the Knicks beat the Wizards, 103-87, at UNLV.

Shooting 7-of-13, Barrett posted his third straight double-double game. He got to the basket and notched 21 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds and just two turnovers.

?I love to play basketball ? if I have opportunity to play, why would I sit out??? Barrett said on NBA TV.

???-

Coach K was talking about how Zion shouldn?t have played... doing draft circuit interviews and appearances meant his body and game weren?t in shape...

Take our blowout loss to TOR... they had dudes who were in league for 2-3 seasons already. They are fighting for their careers and have probably trained for SL for 2 months.

RJ rolled up and played all 5 games and really would?ve been 3-2, had they finished the first contest.

mafra

Legend
Marc Berman
@NYPost_Berman

Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson wanted to play tonight's consolation game. Wanted another chance to get a run with their rookies RJ Barrett and Ignas Brazdeikas. Admirable, especially when you look at all the lottery picks who didn't play in Vegas.

??-

Culture is forming, character is being built... the ?core? gets it! We got some kids who want to work, who desire to be more than just rich ballers... they want to make a career for themselves, grow their game ? they want to be great.

MRob, Knox, Trier, Iggy, RJ, Wooten... these 6 have a feel about them, in the collective sense. We may not have an all star in there, or we may have a DPOY and another possible MVP on our roster.

Who knows, really?

???

?We?ll keep building with him,?? said Knicks summer-league coach Jud Buechler, who had indicated beforehand Barrett wouldn?t play the consolation game. ?He learned from this summer league. He?ll watch film between now and training camp. He?ll have a much better idea what he needs to improve on.??

Barrett has yet to decline an invitation from Team Canada for the World Cup, according to a source, but it would seem to be too much of a grind.

As for Barrett, his summer league received mixed reviews

?When you pick [at No.] 3, you?re trying to get an All-Star, and he definitely doesn?t look like that,?? one NBA scout said. ?But he looked like he?ll be an NBA player for a long time.??

?We?ll keep building with him,?? said Knicks summer-league coach Jud Buechler, who had indicated beforehand Barrett wouldn?t play the consolation game. ?He learned from this summer league. He?ll watch film between now and training camp. He?ll have a much better idea what he needs to improve on.??

Barrett has yet to decline an invitation from Team Canada for the World Cup, according to a source, but it would seem to be too much of a grind.

As for Barrett, his summer league received mixed reviews

?When you pick [at No.] 3, you?re trying to get an All-Star, and he definitely doesn?t look like that,?? one NBA scout said. ?But he looked like he?ll be an NBA player for a long time.??

?????

They beat we can probably admit right now, is we (most likely) have the core of our roster moving forward in place... they may be complimentary starters and reserve rotation types, or they?re the nucleus....

Regardless, I feel confident we have 4-5 young kids that?ll be a part of this team for the next 5-6 years.

They have help, too.

The weight of the franchise will be on Payton, Portis, DSJ and Randle?s shoulders for the next 2 years. 1 was brought here in the KP trade and the other our buggiest free agent acquisition since Timmy. The 3rd is a Perry guy and will be left to salvage the ?all important? PG position of DSJ falters... The 4th is a backup big, 3-sniper lottery ticket.

With these 4 carrying the load, they?ll be a group of 6 kids to go to battle with, and this core-10 or so foundation pieces will be reinforced by a Calvary of Vets...

Bullock and Ellington
Morris and Taj

Meanwhile, Allen and Knits will battle for the final spot...

4 prime players plus 6 kids, 4 vets, and a spare part.

15 dudes... all NBA verifiably players.

Will it work? 44 wins. 7th seed?
28 wins, but battled? 13-32 and this is blown up at deadline?

The NBA scout who said that RJ ?definitely? didn?t look like an All-Star is hilarious. Yup, no upside at all to RJ and his near triple doubles.

tiger0330

Legend
What happened to that kid Ellenson that had good couple of games for us last season, had some skills for a big man, he left the SL team but is he still on the Knicks?

mafra

Legend
What happened to that kid Ellenson that had good couple of games for us last season, had some skills for a big man, he left the SL team but is he still on the Knicks?

Free agent F Henry Ellenson is signing a two-way contract with the Brooklyn Nets, Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

The Woj bombs are more like fire crackers these days, and Ellenson failed to make much of a splash in Detroit last season. The Nets are loaded, so It would likely take injuries to make Ellenson relevant this season, and it will be interesting to see how much time he spends in the G League.

mafra

Legend
RJ Barrett averaged 15.4 points (34 percent shooting), 8.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists in five Vegas Summer League games for the Knicks.

Believe it or not, he became the first player in the history of the Las Vegas Summer League to average more than 15 points, eight rebounds and four assists. New York's prized rookie got off to a rough start in Vegas, but finished on a high note and made a little history in the process

tiger0330

Legend
Free agent F Henry Ellenson is signing a two-way contract with the Brooklyn Nets, Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

The Woj bombs are more like fire crackers these days, and Ellenson failed to make much of a splash in Detroit last season. The Nets are loaded, so It would likely take injuries to make Ellenson relevant this season, and it will be interesting to see how much time he spends in the G League.

Funny that the day I mention him, the next day he signs a deal with the Nets. Now we know why he left the SL squad. Has some skills for a big man, he's got NBA experience so he should get some burn with the Nets.

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ Barrett averaged 15.4 points (34 percent shooting), 8.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists in five Vegas Summer League games for the Knicks.

Believe it or not, he became the first player in the history of the Las Vegas Summer League to average more than 15 points, eight rebounds and four assists. New York's prized rookie got off to a rough start in Vegas, but finished on a high note and made a little history in the process

When you are a die hard Knicks fan you know how poor and clueless our Knicks coaching-staff has been the past decade (poor defense/offense system), knowing that, and recalling why we been having a 30 win or less season team since having a Triangle-System lineup of rookie KP, Melo, Lopez, Afflalo, and Calderon. Our coaching-staff and team system has sucked for years.
Hint: The past 3 years RJ Barrett has been performing under some very good Team-Ball head-coaches ....
It took the Knicks summer-league coaching-staff a few games to focus on getting Team-Ball-Movement, and movement without the ball from certain players this off-season. The Knicks final 2 summer games performance the Knicks did look more team-orient.
However, in the first summer league game the Knicks had one to many selfish Isolation-players in the rotation (Trier, Knox, and RJ), an 11 team assist game. Iso-Zo isolation performance had to be taken out of the Knicks summer league team .. too much Iso!
Big change in the Knick final 2 summer games ....
Last year Knox never threw one lob-pass to MitchRob in all their summer league games.
In our last two summer league games we finally seen Knox throw Lob passes to MitchRob for 2 pts.

Our slow coaching-staff are why RJ Barrett started off slow !!!!

mafra

Legend
Congrats to MItch!!!

Jarrett Allen has been named to the Summer League first team, the NBA announced. Allen is joined by Mitchell Robinson, Brandon Clarke, Kendrick Nunn and Nickeil Alexander-Walker. His Summer League ended on a sour note after

Chris Boucher was named to the Summer League second team, the NBA announced. Boucher is joined by Anfernee Simons, Rui Hachimura, Jaxson Hayes and Lonnie Walker.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks fans hope this isn't RJ comparison, Wiggins isn't a bust but he's not the transcendent talent people expected him to be. RJ also isn't the number one pick in this year's draft either so if we wind up with RJ being a clone of Wiggins you can't knock the Knicks pick, he'll be a good player just not a superstar type player which is something I don't expect anyway.

An NBA scout says New York Knicks rookie RJ Barrett “is like a lefty version” of Minnesota Timberwolves small forward Andrew Wiggins.

This scout says Barrett has more passion for the game and is a better passer than Wiggins. The Knicks have tough veterans such as Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson and Marcus Morris who won’t be afraid to get in Barrett’s face. That’s something this scout says might work in Barrett’s favor.

"I want to like the kid, but I have worries.” the scout told Keith Smith of Real GM. “Is he Wiggins 2.0? I think he's got more fire than Wiggins, but he is like a lefty version of him for me somewhat. The best thing the Knicks did was bring in some vets who will kick his ass if he's too cool. I will say he passes it better already than Wiggins ever has. Maybe he's Evan Turner 2.0?"

RJ Barrett got off to a terrible start at Summer League, but played well in his final three games.

Barrett scored just 10 points on 22.2 percent shooting from the field in the Knicks' Summer League opener against the New Orleans Pelicans. The lefty followed that up with an eight-point, 10-rebound game versus the Phoenix Suns. Barrett shot just 20.0 percent in that game and the media was already killing him. Both Andrew Wiggins and Barrett are volume scorers who aren’t efficient.

The next three Summer League games were good for Barrett, though. He put up 17 points, 10 rebounds and six assists while shooting 42.9 percent overall against the Toronto Raptors, posted 21 points and 10 rebounds versus the Los Angeles Lakers, and finished Summer League with 21 points, eight rebounds and 10 assists against the Washington Wizards. Needless to say, the Knicks were relieved internally to see Barrett show some flashes of dominance.

At Duke, Barrett averaged 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists while shooting 45.4 percent from the field, 30.8 percent from beyond the arc and 66.5 percent from the free-throw line.

Knicks fans hope this isn't RJ comparison, Wiggins isn't a bust but he's not the transcendent talent people expected him to be. RJ also isn't the number one pick in this year's draft either so if we wind up with RJ being a clone of Wiggins you can't knock the Knicks pick, he'll be a good player just not a superstar type player which is something I don't expect anyway.

An NBA scout says New York Knicks rookie RJ Barrett “is like a lefty version” of Minnesota Timberwolves small forward Andrew Wiggins.

This scout says Barrett has more passion for the game and is a better passer than Wiggins. The Knicks have tough veterans such as Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson and Marcus Morris who won’t be afraid to get in Barrett’s face. That’s something this scout says might work in Barrett’s favor.

"I want to like the kid, but I have worries.” the scout told Keith Smith of Real GM. “Is he Wiggins 2.0? I think he's got more fire than Wiggins, but he is like a lefty version of him for me somewhat. The best thing the Knicks did was bring in some vets who will kick his ass if he's too cool. I will say he passes it better already than Wiggins ever has. Maybe he's Evan Turner 2.0?"

RJ Barrett got off to a terrible start at Summer League, but played well in his final three games.

Barrett scored just 10 points on 22.2 percent shooting from the field in the Knicks' Summer League opener against the New Orleans Pelicans. The lefty followed that up with an eight-point, 10-rebound game versus the Phoenix Suns. Barrett shot just 20.0 percent in that game and the media was already killing him. Both Andrew Wiggins and Barrett are volume scorers who aren’t efficient.

The next three Summer League games were good for Barrett, though. He put up 17 points, 10 rebounds and six assists while shooting 42.9 percent overall against the Toronto Raptors, posted 21 points and 10 rebounds versus the Los Angeles Lakers, and finished Summer League with 21 points, eight rebounds and 10 assists against the Washington Wizards. Needless to say, the Knicks were relieved internally to see Barrett show some flashes of dominance.

At Duke, Barrett averaged 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists while shooting 45.4 percent from the field, 30.8 percent from beyond the arc and 66.5 percent from the free-throw line.

I wonder if that scout doesn't know the names of many NBA players. RJ and Wiggins don't seem like similar players to me at all outside of their position and size.

mafra

Legend
Scout clearly admits RJ has greater passion for the game.

RJ at 18 is probably a wiggins type player. But, with a fire in his belly, RJ?s passion will propel him beyond any comparison a scout can make.

Who saw Kawhi or Giannis?

At this level, talent only goes so far. The dudes with passion, love of game and drive to be great.... they improve weaknesses, grow their skills exponentially.... And... RJ at 25.... after 6 years in the lab developIng.... that?s the Barrett Perry rolled the dice on.

Kiyaman

Legend
Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post

LMBO .. Wasn't Barrett one of the dynamic tandem that gave Duke the highest rating each week they perform ???
I dont know what games the scout been watching of RJ Barrett (i guess the summer league games.), but im sure the scout did not watch half of Duke's game last season .. when I watched Barrett & Zion perform for Duke .. Both players showed a top All-Round performance on both sides of the court each game by performing at a high IQ for a win to be notice as the NBA number # 1 pick !!!

After missing all of Summer League with an ?illness?, Kris Wilkes? 2-way contract with the Knicks has now been voided for health reasons. Must be something serious. Best of luck to him.