What a 4-2 record means and what it does not mean

New New York

Quiet Storm
Alright we have won four of six games atleast two stretches under Isiah Thomas and neither campiagn resulted in more than 33 wins, so there is no reason to get all besides ourselves. But there is still a little reason to be satisfied.

What it doesnt mean: Allow me to pander to the nasayers first; No this does not mean that we are a playoff team. If you thought that this early in the season keep those thoughts to yourself or risk attack from all angles. The Knicks still are at best a mediocore defensive club. We still rely too heavy on three point shooting, which look good when they drop, but will have us down 20+ if they dont. Like I said before we have played stretches in the past couple season where we have won 4 of 6 games and we have been in the lottery every year, so there really is no reason to get too excited in terms of what this means for our overall record.

What it does mean!: What it most importantly means is that The Knicks have confidence that this system can work. Remember Marbaury's first fall out with Larry Brown? It was after a Knick loss to Orlando in November and Steph was upset about the style of play not resulting in wins. Steph stated that he would care less about being asked to pass the ball more if it resulted in wins for the team. Eddy's "breakout season" resulted in more wins, thus convincing his teamates to dump the ball into him. My point is...that it if Mike Dantoni is making his players run like hell in practice and is benching key players from the last regime, then the players and the fans need to be convinced it isnt all for nothing....Which brings me to my next point, it is still a very unpopular opinion to bench Steph amongst a large number of Knick fans, and like I said before it painted a big fat Bull Eye on Mike Dantoni's back and Knick fans are not going to wait long at all before taking shots at that Bull Eye! So it is critical for Mike Dantoni win some games early on more so than later in the season to minimize the distraction of Steph not playing. Donnie made his "ruling" on this situation two games ago and we have won thos two ensuing games, and Duhon has had two solid outings, his play and the wins helps with the distraction of Steph not playing for now.

So don't get too excited about our record, but damn don't down play it so much either because each win does mean something regardless of who the opponet is!

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Alright we have won four of six games atleast two stretches under Isiah Thomas and neither campiagn resulted in more than 33 wins, so there is no reason to get all besides ourselves. But there is still a little reason to be satisfied.

What it doesnt mean: Allow me to pander to the nasayers first; No this does not mean that we are a playoff team. If you thought that this early in the season keep those thoughts to yourself or risk attack from all angles. The Knicks still are at best a mediocore defensive club. We still rely too heavy on three point shooting, which look good when they drop, but will have us down 20+ if they dont. Like I said before we have played stretches in the past couple season where we have won 4 of 6 games and we have been in the lottery every year, so there really is no reason to get too excited in terms of what this means for our overall record.

What it does mean!: What it most importantly means is that The Knicks have confidence that this system can work. Remember Marbaury's first fall out with Larry Brown? It was after a Knick loss to Orlando in November and Steph was upset about the style of play not resulting in wins. Steph stated that he would care less about being asked to pass the ball more if it resulted in wins for the team. Eddy's "breakout season" resulted in more wins, thus convincing his teamates to dump the ball into him. My point is...that it if Mike Dantoni is making his players run like hell in practice and is benching key players from the last regime, then the players and the fans need to be convinced it isnt all for nothing....Which brings me to my next point, it is still a very unpopular opinion to bench Steph amongst a large number of Knick fans, and like I said before it painted a big fat Bull Eye on Mike Dantoni's back and Knick fans are not going to wait long at all before taking shots at that Bull Eye! So it is critical for Mike Dantoni win some games early on more so than later in the season to minimize the distraction of Steph not playing. Donnie made his "ruling" on this situation two games ago and we have won thos two ensuing games, and Duhon has had two solid outings, his play and the wins helps with the distraction of Steph not playing for now.

So don't get too excited about our record, but damn don't down play it so much either because each win does mean something regardless of who the opponet is!

True, to use the tired cliche - "a wins a win"

I like this knick team, because although not the best team on paper, it does have players that can take over and win games.. eg. Crawford, Zbo, and Nate

New New York

Quiet Storm
True, to use the tired cliche - "a wins a win"

I like this knick team, because although not the best team on paper, it does have players that can take over and win games.. eg. Crawford, Zbo, and Nate

Exactly! To borrow from Allan Houston "there is no such thing as a demoralizing win"

Don't know what it means but it feels better than 1-5 or 0-6.

You got it! look we beat 4 teams we shouldve, but there has been plenty of times when The Knicks didnt beat teams they shouldve. Short handed teams have come into MSG and pounced on us numerous times in the past four seasons. Not to mention The Jazz short handed was still an undefeated team!

Paul1355

All Star
You have some points New York New York, but Marbury should not be benched. Plain and simple. This guy worked his ass off in the off-season to play and he is obviously our best player due to his career. It just doesn't make sense to bench this guy. If he is a distraction then there is no point in having him sit on the bench, just get rid of him. Watch, once he starts playing he is going to light up the scoreboard and Mike D is going to be forced t play him. I think Marbury is going to play A+ if he ever has the chance.

I dont' know how Mike D is winning with Steph benched. This just shows that the Knicks have more talent than many people thought.

You have some points New York New York, but Marbury should not be benched. Plain and simple. This guy worked his ass off in the off-season to play and he is obviously our best player due to his career. It just doesn't make sense to bench this guy. If he is a distraction then there is no point in having him sit on the bench, just get rid of him. Watch, once he starts playing he is going to light up the scoreboard and Mike D is going to be forced t play him. I think Marbury is going to play A+ if he ever has the chance.

I dont' know how Mike D is winning with Steph benched. This just shows that the Knicks have more talent than many people thought.

waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

life isnt fair

get over it

New New York

Quiet Storm

Agreed! But this goes to show you it isnt about talent. There is no way in hell Dantoni thinks that Duhon or any other player playing in front of Steph is more talented, I think the report about Dantoni doing what the team has asked him to do in benching Steph is true. Isiah knew that Steph was more talented than Mardy last year that is why he played him after he left in Phoenix, but as a result he lost the respect of his team and Dantoni is not trying to let that happen. I don't agree with his choice, but I do respect it. So why not get rid of him? Because he has a 21 million dollar expiring contract and you never know who may become availabe come the trade deadline and his contract plus David Lee or Nate could land us a major player. I imagine that Steph would be let go shortly after the trade deadline if he is still not playing.

But back to my point, with this little mini win streak the story of Steph not playing has been pushed to the back burner thus minimizing the distractions.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Exactly! To borrow from Allan Houston "there is no such thing as a demoralizing win"

You got it! look we beat 4 teams we shouldve, but there has been plenty of times when The Knicks didnt beat teams they shouldve. Short handed teams have come into MSG and pounced on us numerous times in the past four seasons. Not to mention The Jazz short handed was still an undefeated team!

BINGO!

last season, shorthanded, depleted teams have come into new york and have taken games that should have easily been won by us.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
what this means: it means were an improved team compared to last years we could win games against teams were supposed to beat.We play as a team more and pass and often get the best shot we could.Alot more energy from this team compared to those from past seasons.

What it does'nt mean: it dont mean were a playoff team, actually no where close, we cant hold leads and play sloppy when we lead big allowing teams to get back into the game against us. Defense needs improvement and we still got to prove ourselves we can beat elite teams instead of taking adavtage of teams we should beat and injured teams.

the more i look at it were going back to the lottery.

New New York

Quiet Storm
it means we are 6 games into the season.. and we are not even close to predicting anything

Pretty much!

There is no way to tell how the season will turn out based on our record now, but again Mike Dantoni and Knick fans need wins early on to help supress the Marbaury benching issue

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
^ even D'Antoni knows we're not a playoff team yet as written in the post today ["Tomorrow, (the fans) will think we're already in the playoffs," said D'Antoni, trying to lower the enthusiasm of the Knicks' fast start. "But we have a long way to go. The biggest thing I want players and fans to know is this is the road, this is the process. Enjoy it. We'll go in the ditch a little, but with the right guys, the right spirit, we'll get back on the road." ] D'Antoni knows were not a playoff team yet. were hot know but when we play Dallas and Boston next week we'll show how far away we are...ill say this though were close next year no doubt we'll be back to our winning ways but this year lottery.

Kiyaman

Legend
New York New York

Great Thread!

This 4-2 Knick start is great.... and the next 3 straight wins (or 2-1) will be even greater (7-2 or 6-3). I'm a betting man.

The Knick Players and coaches when behind close doors been playing the "Blame Game" to long under Isiah Thomas tour.
I think Dantoni did not want to here the "Blame-Game-Song" from players or coaches left behind.... so there is no Isiah Thomas, and he DNP Marbury and Curry.
So the new Knick model at the start of the season is put-up and shut-up on the blame-game. Dantoni made it so no player or coach have a reason to give less than 100% on the court and in practice.
This act of Dantoni.... the DNP of Marbury & Curry have this Knick Team winning the games they supposed to WIN at Home.

Originally Posted by New New York

I'm not high on Celebrity Coach Dantoni....but he gets my Props on forming a remedy to get some early wins out of the many over paid Knick cancer players.
The Knicks could not win a home game during the preseason (3), they are 3-1 at home in the regular season. Something is working.