Melo Willing to take Pay Cut for Knicks

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
According to Marc Burman's NY Post article, Carmelo is willing to take a paycut to stay with the Knicks if he likes their plan. http://nypost.com/2014/02/14/carmelo-ill-re-sign-on-cheap-if-i-like-knicks-plan/

If this is true and Melo is actually willing to pass on the max contract and even take less money than he's making now, this shows his dedication to winning. It also obviously gives the Knicks a ton of flexibility to rebuild the roster.

Broadway

All Star
According to Marc Burman's NY Post article, Carmelo is willing to take a paycut to stay with the Knicks if he likes their plan. http://nypost.com/2014/02/14/carmelo-ill-re-sign-on-cheap-if-i-like-knicks-plan/

If this is true and Melo is actually willing to pass on the max contract and even take less money than he's making now, this shows his dedication to winning. It also obviously gives the Knicks a ton of flexibility to rebuild the roster.

Actually if he signed an extension now it would already equate to taking a pay cut compared to his next Max deal.....so he's already ruled that out, because he wants an out as an option.

A huge part of convincing players(free agents) to come here is knowing he's going to be here long term without a shadow of a doubt. Not that I want him but principally speaking point is proven.

Rule #1 with Car-Smelo

Don't believe anything he says, he's already lied through the media on multiple occasions since his arrival about things he'd be willing to do.

He's essentially challenging us to pull a David Copperfield with this roster and cap going forward or else he's bouncing.

Funny he's blowing on lillies and pinwheels about what he's willing to do this summer but wasn't willing to do similar prior to the new CBA deal, which created the mess we're in now.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Miami's big 3 gave up a total of 45M, 15M per over the life of their 6 year deals.

I have a hard time believing he would do that on the promise that the Knicks will build a contender around him.

Miami had all the pieces assembled making it an easy sell telling them we can bring back Haslem if you guys take less money.

The Knicks will have to sell Melo a what if proposal when Melo signs his deal. Not sure if he gives back 5M over the 5 years whether that will have much impact and that is a lot of money to give up.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Actually if he signed an extension now it would already equate to taking a pay cut compared to his next Max deal.....so he's already ruled that out, because he wants an out as an option.

A huge part of convincing players(free agents) to come here is knowing he's going to be here long term without a shadow of a doubt. Not that I want him but principally speaking point is proven.

Rule #1 with Car-Smelo

Don't believe anything he says, he's already lied through the media on multiple occasions since his arrival about things he'd be willing to do.

He's essentially challenging us to pull a David Copperfield with this roster and cap going forward or else he's bouncing.

Funny he's blowing on lillies and pinwheels about what he's willing to do this summer but wasn't willing to do similar prior to the new CBA deal, which created the mess we're in now.

I wouldn't presume that the guy is lying. But time will tell. If he is truly willing to take a pay cut I'd expect or hope he'd make less than 20 million per year. Maybe in the 16 or 17 mill range. Amare and Chandler come off the books after next season. As far as I'm concerned we can resign them both for vet exemptions or absolutely no more than 5 million a piece. This leaves plenty of room to bring in talent.

Kiyaman

Legend
Carmelo Anthony goes to New Orleans All-Star weekend to find out there's NOT one elite team interest in signing him in the offseason. So what does Melo do? Melo announce ater practice in All-Star weekend that he will take a pay-cut next season on a contender team. Carmelo's pay-cut announcement .. is that suppose to clear Dolan's mind of trading an opt-out Carmelo Anthony from Monday to Thursday trading deadline? Will the Knicks Big-Brass start trading other Knicks players for new players who also find it hard to play with a Ball-Hogger-Melo? Remember .. if Melo stays then HC Woodson stay...

paris401

Starter
Miami had all the pieces assembled making it an easy sell telling them we can bring back Haslem if you guys take less money.
p.

well we can tell him if he takes less, we can bring back the I'Talian, JR, and our 3headed guard...prick.gas, and the Pillsbury dough boy... let's see another team top that roster...

Kiyaman

Legend
How does Melo taking a Pay-Cut help the Knicks become a winning team? or a NBA contender?
It doesnt.

What doesnt make sense are ....
So many Knicks-Fans has been calling for HC Mike Woodson's head on a stick since the Indiana Pacers series.
while the same fans praise Carmelo Anthony high-scoring as if he's a super-star.
whie each game we watch HC Puppet-Woodson coach a 48 minute game to Carmelo Anthony every need/want.

1) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to increase our inside scoring, or increase our 6 point average in fastbreak baskets.
2) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to let other Knicks players have a game high in points, or stop Melo from ball-hoggin.
3) Melo taking a pay-cut so we could spend more money clearing the entire roster to give Melo a new roster of players is not going to change the perception teammates have of Ball-Hoggin ISO-Melo.

Truth to it all .. If we are going to have a losing season, I would rather have a losing season with a couple of 2014 draft picks we got from trading Melo before the deadline...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I know Melo's track record isn't perfect, and I think the people who don't like Melo's game makes good points, but he shouldn't be criticized for very single thing he does or didn't do yet.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The sad part is our "Great White Hope" Bargiani is slated to make 11 million next year:( This dude hasn't played in almost a month and was terrible on the court while the second highest scorer in the league averaging 40 minutes a game is supposed to take a pay cut. And cats have the nerve to call Melo selfish. Double Standard:(

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
How does Melo taking a Pay-Cut help the Knicks become a winning team? or a NBA contender?
It doesnt.

What doesnt make sense are ....
So many Knicks-Fans has been calling for HC Mike Woodson's head on a stick since the Indiana Pacers series.
while the same fans praise Carmelo Anthony high-scoring as if he's a super-star.
whie each game we watch HC Puppet-Woodson coach a 48 minute game to Carmelo Anthony every need/want.

1) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to increase our inside scoring, or increase our 6 point average in fastbreak baskets.
2) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to let other Knicks players have a game high in points, or stop Melo from ball-hoggin.
3) Melo taking a pay-cut so we could spend more money clearing the entire roster to give Melo a new roster of players is not going to change the perception teammates have of Ball-Hoggin ISO-Melo.

Truth to it all .. If we are going to have a losing season, I would rather have a losing season with a couple of 2014 draft picks we got from trading Melo before the deadline...
Woodson is the biggest flaw in our team, by FAR. Even if Melo does get too trigger happy at times, I don't think he's selfish. Woodson ENCOURAGES this crap. That guy has Melo playing the most minutes in the league (or that was the case recently for a while).

Has there ever been a guy Melo's size and body type to average this many minutes for this long? I don't know, and I'm not saying Melo couldn't improve his his fitness, but it's not like he doesn't look in shape, and I doubt he expected to average the most minutes in the league for that long.

Woodson keeps him in even if he's not shooting well. Tyler had a double-double one game, then the next Woodson does an amateurish move by not playing Tyler nearly enough minutes because of what? He's scared of the big bad Thunder? He also has sat Prigioni at the end of games no matter how much the team needed him.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Also, it doesn't make sense to say "Melo wants Woodson to stay because he lets him do whatever he wants" because what does Melo have to worry about? The team is 20-32, Melo is probably too gassed by the 4th quarter, and he'd still be scoring a lot no matter who the coach is, and might more efficiently with a good coach. It's players such as Felton who's minutes might go down, might not start, might not play at all, might get yelled at more, etc.

Kiyaman

Legend
Here's a article on the inside/outside New York Knicks ....

New York Knicks Making Wrong Move by Not Trading Carmelo Anthony

The New York Knicks are running out of time to bite the bullet.
As relayed by the New York Post's Marc Berman, Carmelo Anthony recently said the following during an interview with ESPN:
“I don’t think I’ll be traded. When is the trade deadline. [Thursday]? I don’t think there’s no way possible I’ll be traded. I don’t think they’re even considering it. If they feel they want to get rid of me, we’d already have had that conversation already. I don’t think that. I know for a fact I’m not being traded and I know for a fact I’m not going in there saying I want to be traded.”
Well, that's dumb.

Sorry, but I'm not going to mince my words on this topic. 'Melo choosing not to request a trade is fine, but the Knicks refusing to even consider dealing him is lunacy at its finest.

That would be par for the course when discussing a franchise that just continues sinking toward the ground as it pursues a championship, a goal that has remained elusive for over four decades. But one would assume the Knicks want to, you know, get off the schneid.

Trying to remain patient with the Anthony experiment won't help. It's time to look for trade options.

This season has been an unmitigated disaster, an NBA version of Murphy's Law if there ever was one. The Knicks enter the All-Star break with a 20-32 record, and they're outside the playoff picture even in a historically weak Eastern Conference.
Should they turn things around during the second half of the season, they'll still be nothing more than sacrificial lambs, awaiting slaughter at the hands of the Miami Heat or Indiana Pacers. At best, they'll get up to No. 6 in the standings and have a shot at facing the powerhouses in the second round.

That's going to leave a bitter taste in 'Melo's mouth as he enters the decision-making portion of the year, and the future plan isn't going to change that.
Other than Tim Hardaway Jr. and Iman Shumpert, not many players are imbued with upside. There aren't going to be many breakouts, which means Steve Mills will be looking elsewhere for help.
But where?

The draft? Definitely not, as the Knicks won't have a pick in the 2014 NBA draft, only have a first-round selection and zero second-round picks in 2015 and then come up empty in 2016. The best-case scenario involves hitting the jackpot in 2015 and waiting a little while before a rookie becomes a championship-caliber contributor.

How about free agency?
In order to have any cap space this offseason, Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire would both have to opt out of their contracts, then Anthony would have to take a significant pay cut. And good luck getting STAT to turn up his nose at $23.4 million dollars when he probably couldn't sign a multi-year deal for that much combined money at this stage of his career.
The Knicks will be left building up their roster through minimum deals and the various exceptions afforded to them by the CBA. Things open up in 2015-16, when ShamSports.com reveals the franchise only has $13,389,155 committed.

But the Knicks still have to attract free agents.
In the past, they've been able to rely on deep pockets and the allure of playing in the Big Apple. However, with Dolan sitting in an office, an unmistakable stench of losing swirling around the organization and plenty of teams in better shape to compete for a title, what gives Anthony any assurance that the Knicks can draw in premier players? Nothing.
A plan to sign free agents is not a guarantee.

Kiyaman

Legend
Trading Melo before February 20th is the best scenario to finish the season as a 3rd to 6th seeded team, plus build a ECF team in the 2014 offseason having our expensive-players with one year contracts.

The only way to stop Melo from being on the court in every lineup we put on the court is getting Melo off the Knicks.

knickerbocker12

Benchwarmer
look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.

who knows where theyd be if they signed bosh instead of stat, and stat went to miami. maybe its as simple as that, but its really no one's fault besides dolan for taking the risk of going with stat. but then again, stat was the only one who would come to NY. so once again, the knicks are just **** outta luck.

ill praise melo for what he's doing, as long as he follows through that is. Hey, maybe stat does retire, melo takes the cut and signs lebron on? who knows right now? it wouldn't be consistent with the knicks fortune, but its possible and one great way to immediately turn an organization around. If Im lebron, and striving to prove Im the best ever, id want the challenge in NY.

sorry for the ranting, those are my thoughts/hopes for this team. Im not going to stop rooting for them, because once they do win a championship, it really might be the sweetest thing for me in sports. there's just so much doubt and ridicule thrown their way that if and when it happens, it will be so cool. I know you all feel that in some way. its just a matter of this lifetime or next.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.

who knows where theyd be if they signed bosh instead of stat, and stat went to miami. maybe its as simple as that, but its really no one's fault besides dolan for taking the risk of going with stat. but then again, stat was the only one who would come to NY. so once again, the knicks are just **** outta luck.

ill praise melo for what he's doing, as long as he follows through that is. Hey, maybe stat does retire, melo takes the cut and signs lebron on? who knows right now? it wouldn't be consistent with the knicks fortune, but its possible and one great way to immediately turn an organization around. If Im lebron, and striving to prove Im the best ever, id want the challenge in NY.

sorry for the ranting, those are my thoughts/hopes for this team. Im not going to stop rooting for them, because once they do win a championship, it really might be the sweetest thing for me in sports. there's just so much doubt and ridicule thrown their way that if and when it happens, it will be so cool. I know you all feel that in some way. its just a matter of this lifetime or next.

No way Bosh carries the team like Stat did his first year here and break Ewings record. Stat made us relevant again.
Not saying Bosh isn't the better player right now because he is, but at the time we signed Stat I didn't see no1 complain.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Right now are problem is we need a PG. Or we need Felton not to pay more then 20 minutes a game.
We need some Metta we need some Tyler we need some Murray.

In the long run we're going to need a new coach and an above average PG to be successful with Melo, someone who will be vocal with Melo (Billups)

Oh and skinny Chandler, way past his prime to old.

Woodsons lineups could be better clearly. Coaching change would improve this team drastically but this won't happen.

Stat is a beast on offense. Someone prove me wrong.

Kiyaman

Legend
Woodson is the biggest flaw in our team, by FAR. Even if Melo does get too trigger happy at times, I don't think he's selfish. Woodson ENCOURAGES this crap. That guy has Melo playing the most minutes in the league (or that was the case recently for a while).

Has there ever been a guy Melo's size and body type to average this many minutes for this long? I don't know, and I'm not saying Melo couldn't improve his his fitness, but it's not like he doesn't look in shape, and I doubt he expected to average the most minutes in the league for that long.

Woodson keeps him in even if he's not shooting well. Tyler had a double-double one game, then the next Woodson does an amateurish move by not playing Tyler nearly enough minutes because of what? He's scared of the big bad Thunder? He also has sat Prigioni at the end of games no matter how much the team needed him.

Yes, I agree that Woodson is an assistant-coach in charge of bench players.
As a HC .. Woodson is a liability when it comes to having a plan, or getting the players to complete a simple design play.
HC Woodson does not make his players happy with his coaching style.

Melo is averaging the same amount of minutes he average every season about this time.
Melo just didnt get the Memo, that he is on a team with a $91M cap of veteran & young players that are looking for decent playingtime without him being in every lineup with them ball-hoggin the ball.

petescud

Starter
Definitely need better players to win. All else is a circle jerk. We have a lot of crappy players. Can't expect to win with these guys, even if Lebron was at the helm. May be 5 more wins with LBJ, so where does that leave us, still under .500 team.