Walsh to persue Dalembert this offseason

STAT1

Starter
Donnie might be lookin for players to sign to include in a package for CP3 or Dwight Howard at the February trade deadline next season.

Like I keep sayin....

Billups + Fields + a few others + draft pick(s) = CP3/D12

If the Knicks give up their max cap flexibility in 2012, it means CP3 has no real way to force his way to NY because he doesn't have the most important card he would have to play, which is the threat of leaving for NY via free agency for nothing in 2012. This means whatever decision the Knicks make this summer, if they give up that flexibility in 2012 they have to do so with the knowledge that it could very well cost them any chance at CP3/Deron/Dwight Howard in 2012. Is Sam Dalembert a player that's worth taking that risk? Not to me he isn't, but I'm not sure what Donnie's thought process is at this point after he got STAT & Melo in the fold he might not want to waste another season treading water while he waits to hopefully land another big fish in free agency. So far that strategy has yielded a mixed bag for this franchise (success = STAT / failure = Lebron).

Btw, the Knicks have no picks left to trade away they already gave up their 2014 pick to DEN in the Melo deal & their 2012 pick goes to HOU as part of the T-Mac trade from last year. They can't trade their 2013 pick because the cap rules don't allow for a team to deal draft picks from consecutive years. If the Hornets are no longer pressured to deal CP3 to NY as an only option, then you can bet it will cost a pretty penny to land him in any trade in terms of assets, something the Knicks aren't running that deep with at the current moment.

skisloper

Starter
If the Knicks give up their max cap flexibility in 2012, it means CP3 has no real way to force his way to NY because he doesn't have the most important card he would have to play, which is the threat of leaving for NY via free agency for nothing in 2012. This means whatever decision the Knicks make this summer, if they give up that flexibility in 2012 they have to do so with the knowledge that it could very well cost them any chance at CP3/Deron/Dwight Howard in 2012. Is Sam Dalembert a player that's worth taking that risk? Not to me he isn't, but I'm not sure what Donnie's thought process is at this point after he got STAT & Melo in the fold he might not want to waste another season treading water while he waits to hopefully land another big fish in free agency. So far that strategy has yielded a mixed bag for this franchise (success = STAT / failure = Lebron).

Btw, the Knicks have no picks left to trade away they already gave up their 2014 pick to DEN in the Melo deal & their 2012 pick goes to HOU as part of the T-Mac trade from last year. They can't trade their 2013 pick because the cap rules don't allow for a team to deal draft picks from consecutive years. If the Hornets are no longer pressured to deal CP3 to NY as an only option, then you can bet it will cost a pretty penny to land him in any trade in terms of assets, something the Knicks aren't running that deep with at the current moment.

what is the rule of allowing the Knicks to buy picks from other teams....
Is it unlimited ?
anyone know ?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
what is the rule of allowing the Knicks to buy picks from other teams....
Is it unlimited ?
anyone know ?

I think it's unlimited...meaning if a team wants to sell it's pick, you can buy the pick. Not sure if there are any value restrictions on the picks (I know the Knicks paid $3M to the Lakers for the 29th pick and took Douglas a few years back.)

Our best bet is to buy a draft pick from a team that has worries about resigning players and don't want the cap hold of a first rounder on the books. Who that team would be, would it be a pick worth buying, and does that team even exist are the questions.

STAT1

Starter
I think it's unlimited...meaning if a team wants to sell it's pick, you can buy the pick. Not sure if there are any value restrictions on the picks (I know the Knicks paid $3M to the Lakers for the 29th pick and took Douglas a few years back.)

Our best bet is to buy a draft pick from a team that has worries about resigning players and don't want the cap hold of a first rounder on the books. Who that team would be, would it be a pick worth buying, and does that team even exist are the questions.

The most money you can include in any NBA transaction is $3M under the current cap rules I believe. Regardless, most picks that are purchased are late round picks, hardly something that would really tip the scales of negotiation in the Knicks' favor. The best bet for the Knicks if they want any shot at CP3 is to preserve their cap flexibility in 2012 & just target a 1 year stopgap solution at the C position along with Jerome Jordan IMO. That's really the only way the Knicks can preserve their bargaining strength. Without that cap flexibility, they really have no cards to play in any negotations for CP3 in any deals. Perhaps you can swing something while taking back one of the Hornets' longterm contracts they are looking to unload, such as Emeka Okafor, or maybe Trevor Ariza.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Dalembert makes sense

Dalembert is the MLE option rather than paying big bucks for DeAndre Jordan, Caman, or Gasol.

If we end up doing a sign and trade for CP3 and Okafor, then you want to give back Dalembert and Billups as part of the package.

This makes the most sense if you draft Noguiera (or possibly Faried) because he is a project center with upside, and Dalembert is just a stop-gap until Noguiera is ready.

If you draft Jimmer Fredette or Reggie Jackson, then you probably want a better and younger center, if only because you don't want to have to give up too much more than the center and Billups in the trade for CP3 and Okafor. With Dalembert as the center, you probably have to throw in other significant role players.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
You people do realize Okafor is on a 72 million dollar contract right?

Yeah, we don't have the contracts or space to trade/absorb Okafor. I think the talk of going after someone with the MLE is because Donnie realizes he doesn't have the space or assets to get another max player.

And we need to get somebody. Sacrificing another year in the hopes that CP3 or Howard would take $11-13 mil a year, or their respective teams won't trade them first is not a reasonable option.

Lets get the solid role players we need to compete, if we can. If the MLE is eliminated we are totally screwed.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I think we should trade douglas and turiaf for mayo if we get dalembert. :crossfingers:

I'm new to this forum guys. wassup:afro:

Yeah, we don't have the contracts or space to trade/absorb Okafor. I think the talk of going after someone with the MLE is because Donnie realizes he doesn't have the space or assets to get another max player.

And we need to get somebody. Sacrificing another year in the hopes that CP3 or Howard would take $11-13 mil a year, or their respective teams won't trade them first is not a reasonable option.

Lets get the solid role players we need to compete, if we can. If the MLE is eliminated we are totally screwed.
Edit*
Lets not do anything to crazy this offseason, lets just see how the CBA shakes out, and then just bring back Jerome Jordan.

Last edited:
Dalembert is the MLE option rather than paying big bucks for DeAndre Jordan, Caman, or Gasol.

If we end up doing a sign and trade for CP3 and Okafor, then you want to give back Dalembert and Billups as part of the package.

This makes the most sense if you draft Noguiera (or possibly Faried) because he is a project center with upside, and Dalembert is just a stop-gap until Noguiera is ready.

If you draft Jimmer Fredette or Reggie Jackson, then you probably want a better and younger center, if only because you don't want to have to give up too much more than the center and Billups in the trade for CP3 and Okafor. With Dalembert as the center, you probably have to throw in other significant role players.
What really concerns me about Dalembert is his extremely low basketball IQ and from what i hear from Philly fans is that he acted like a huge diva when he was there. I think there will be too many egos if we sign him. Plus we will basically throw away our chance at CP3 if we sign him a long term deal. If he is willing to sign a 1yr then i wouldn't mind signing him, but i highly doubt he would do that. The only guy i wouldn't mind giving up on CP3 is Deandre Jordan but he is a restricted free agent and the Clippers will make resigning him a top priority. The smartest thing to do this offseason would be to bring back Jerome Jordan and sign some vets like Grant Hill, Przybilla, Nazr Mohammed, Foster.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
:agreed: I don't get all these ppl that don't want Dalembert.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

If we could get Dalembert for the MLE that would be a great offseason
pickup, plus having Turiaf, while developing Jerome Jordan in spot games.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The Knicks no longer need "CAP-FLEXIBILITY" it interrupts the
players development as a jellin-chemistry team.

KBlack25

Starter
:agreed::agreed::agreed:

If we could get Dalembert for the MLE that would be a great offseason
pickup, plus having Turiaf, while developing Jerome Jordan in spot games.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The Knicks no longer need "CAP-FLEXIBILITY" it interrupts the
players development as a jellin-chemistry team.

I think Dalembert commands more than the MLE in free agency though...

I think Dalembert commands more than the MLE in free agency though...

Not at his age if no one out there is really looking for a C his age for maybe more than 5-6mil per. I think we have a legit shot at getting him. Only if the Kings over pay him with 8-9mil which will be stupid. He's just a defensive C with no offensive game( he's better on O than Turiaf) and he's in the later years of his career 5-6 million and that's it.
:gony:

What is all the HYPE!!

Dalembert is dumber than Jared Jefferies offensively and that's really saying something. There is a reason why the 76ers got rid of him and went on the playoff run do you want this guy to do this to us in the closing minutes while Melo is hoisting a game winner..... I THINK NOT DONNIE LOOK ELSE WHERE PLEASE!

KBlack25

Starter
Not at his age if no one out there is really looking for a C his age for maybe more than 5-6mil per. I think we have a legit shot at getting him. Only if the Kings over pay him with 8-9mil which will be stupid. He's just a defensive C with no offensive game( he's better on O than Turiaf) and he's in the later years of his career 5-6 million and that's it.
:gony:

If Brandon Haywood can command 6 years 6.7 million, Jermaine O'Neal can get 5.5 million, MArcus Camby can get ELEVEN million, Marcin Gortat can get 6.3 million, Jeff Foster can get 6.65 what makes you think that Dalembert would come cheap. He's old but he's not THAT old.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If Brandon Haywood can command 6 years 6.7 million, Jermaine O'Neal can get 5.5 million, MArcus Camby can get ELEVEN million, Marcin Gortat can get 6.3 million, Jeff Foster can get 6.65 what makes you think that Dalembert would come cheap. He's old but he's not THAT old.
Would we even have the cap with Billups making over 14 million?

Camby gets 8 million
and Foster's contract has expired
No body else is overpaid and besides
Foster the rest are better than Dalembert
and I was saying he should only get 5-6 million
Which I think is the whole MLE.

KBlack25

Starter
Camby gets 8 million
and Foster's contract has expired
No body else is overpaid and besides
Foster the rest are better than Dalembert
and I was saying he should only get 5-6 million
Which I think is the whole MLE.

Your argument is we should sign a center who is not better than Jeff Foster to be our starting center?

I might go hang myself...

Camby this year made 11.7 million, by the way, according to ESPN's trade machine.