Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets 3:00 1/15/2018 [Game #44]

mafra

Legend
Ntikikina 3 rebounds away from a triple double. Where did this come from? Maybe Nets just that bad?

tiger0330

Legend
This was a back to back so the minutes played might not be reflective of who plays and how many minutes they get but LT got 16 today and Beas got 28. Beas with 23pts and LT with 4pts. That's a change Horn has to make.

1st of 4 straight road games against teams with bad records. Memphis, Utah, and the Lakers may also all roll over for us, even at home, if they are thinking as much about tanking as Mafra and Broadway.

tiger0330

Legend
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13

dk7th

Benchwarmer
We may see more of a Nits Baker backcourt, both playing excellent D and are a +41 combined this game

It will be gradual but you can't teach 7'0 wingspans (Frank) and 6'10" wingspans (Baker). And they both love to defend. I'll take that as our future backcourt truth be told.

tiger0330

Legend
1st of 4 straight road games against teams with bad records. Memphis, Utah, and the Lakers may also all roll over for us, even at home, if they are thinking as much about tanking as Mafra and Broadway.
Horn is not tanking, I still say a team of THJ, KP, Beas, Kanter and CLee can win you some games. We may have found a new 2nd unit backcourt with Baker/Nits also, both played good defense today and Frank hit some shots and was even aggressive enough to attempt a dunk off penetration.

Horn is not tanking, I still say a team of THJ, KP, Beas, Kanter and CLee can win you some games. We may have found a new 2nd unit backcourt with Baker/Nits also, both played good defense today and Frank hit some shots and was even aggressive enough to attempt a dunk off penetration.

It's funny. This team has the most on the fence record in the NBA being currently at 4 games below 0.500. Every team in the NBA with a record better than ours is 0.500 or better and every team with a record worse than ours is at least 8 games below 0.500. With our current roster, I think we will float along indefinitely as the "best" below 0.500 team in the league. Not useful for making the playoffs and not useful for the draft lottery. The only brightside will be if some of our young guys can really get it together over the rest of the season.

Broadway

All Star
Yuck that backcourt is doing nothing great going forward. I appreciate their efforts but only one may qualify as starter material

Broadway

All Star
I expect Memphis to eventually lay it on thick but not Utah/Lakers...

Today was essentially a home game against a bad team, we?re 4-15 on the road and hopefully this trend continues unless we?re rolling out the kids heavy rotation

mafra

Legend
I think we?re 5-15 on the road? 2 of those wins in BKLYN tho.... I think we win in CLE and Dallas too.

There are normally a few good players to be had, outside the premium lottery selections.... when we lost Curry, and grabbed Hill, DeRozan went the pick after....

If we have, say, the 10th pick and the 38th and 42nd pick.... well, Knicks better find a player. They could always package picks with a player and upgrade.... anyway, they better do their homework and better hope Knits and WHG develop (remember, the Spanish HC said WHG the more advanced player)....

Still, it?s just foolish hoping for a prayer bc last year and 2 years before that we win a few extra meaningless games. Instead of having Towns and Tatum (for example).

Again, while I?m not openely rooting for players and coaches to tank, or for fans to root for a loss during a game, I just think we should have somebody objective and responsible in management that dictates this stuff. Not hard to phone Horn and tell him to protect the asset (KP) and rest him today. Of course, this only comes if Horn has assurances his performance not based on W/L.

Good news is this is a good draft and we are close enough I would definitely recommend trading a future first to move up, say from 10 to 5 or something....

This is the draft to strike and next year is the free agency period to spend money on. With 2 hits and our kids maturing, we should be golden come 2019-2020.

The irony of telling Hornacek his job is safe if he tanks when his bad coaching is a big part of the reason we?re sliding out of the playoff race is not lost on me.

Yuck that backcourt is doing nothing great going forward. I appreciate their efforts but only one may qualify as starter material

Michael Beasley said post-game that Ntilikina is an ?amazing player? and that he will be an ?easy triple double? player once he figures out the pace he wants to play. Whose assessment are we supposed to trust, you or Beasley?

tiger0330

Legend
It's funny. This team has the most on the fence record in the NBA being currently at 4 games below 0.500. Every team in the NBA with a record better than ours is 0.500 or better and every team with a record worse than ours is at least 8 games below 0.500. With our current roster, I think we will float along indefinitely as the "best" below 0.500 team in the league. Not useful for making the playoffs and not useful for the draft lottery. The only brightside will be if some of our young guys can really get it together over the rest of the season.
You may be right htr10, looking at the teams ahead of us PHI MIL DET IND you can argue have competitive rosters to ours. We may be not good enough and not bad enough like an article I read that said the worst thing that could happen this season is to get the 13th pick in the draft and not the high lottery pick Broadway and Mafra want. Have to leave it to the gods though because Horn and Perry I don't think tank based on what they're on record saying. Sixers are the only team in my memory with Hinkies PROCESS that had a strategy of losing to build a team with. Horn doesn't work for a guy like Hinkie so he's going to try to win to keep his job. I agree that our young guys esp Frank has to be good and that's pretty nice what Beas said about him. I'm on record that I have some doubts about him but I've also said you might have to wait a few years with him to see if he's better than DSJ. I hope Beas is right and not just being nice because its important that hes not a waste of a pick like so many before him like Hill, Ante, Early etc.

mafra

Legend
The irony of telling Hornacek his job is safe if he tanks when his bad coaching is a big part of the reason we?re sliding out of the playoff race is not lost on me.

I think a lot is getting lost in translation or is being taken out of context. Tanking simply means not arming the coach and roster with the requisite tools necessary for success. Tanking is resting KP today; tanking isn?t coaching during a contest to sway outcome towards defeat. It?s not drawing up bad plays to make sure a shot isn?t made. At least, this is what?s i mean when I talk about tanking. When ball goes up the coach and players must do anything and everything to win... they must battle with everything in their arsenal. Nothing less should be acceptable.

I think a lot is getting lost in translation or is being taken out of context. Tanking simply means not arming the coach and roster with the requisite tools necessary for success. Tanking is resting KP today; tanking isn?t coaching during a contest to sway outcome towards defeat. It?s not drawing up bad plays to make sure a shot isn?t made. At least, this is what?s i mean when I talk about tanking. When ball goes up the coach and players must do anything and everything to win... they must battle with everything in their arsenal. Nothing less should be acceptable.

I get what you?re saying, I think. I just don?t want any scenarios to unfold where Hornacek gets to save his job for next season.

mafra

Legend
Michael Beasley said post-game that Ntilikina is an ?amazing player? and that he will be an ?easy triple double? player once he figures out the pace he wants to play. Whose assessment are we supposed to trust, you or Beasley?

If he plays defense at a high level and is good (not exceptional) everywhere else in offense.... he?ll be fine. I can live with the limited athleticism if he has b-ball IQ, the gift of foresight (anticipation), and court vision. He seems like he has the tools and mechanics to be a good enough shooter and penetrator.

He has the height to rebound.... so, he should be a 12ppg, 8 assist, 7 rebound type of complimentary floor general.

I look forward to seeing what he?s like in 2 seasons.