Hornets Understand What Paul Wants

CA7

Scoring Champ
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217005/Hornets_Approach_Paul_Situation_With_Eyes_Wide_Open

Looks like they know Chris Paul and his team(management and agents) have everything planned out, they know what deals they got in place to make up for the lost compensation if any when/if he ends up in New York, I think in the next few days Demps and Grunwald get together and discuss the best package possible, we know Stoudemire, Anthony and most likely Shumpert/Jordan/Harrelson are gonna be with us also, so hopefully we get this done now to get at least a decent training camp in and add some solid pieces with our 2 exceptions and some minimums.

p0nder

Starter
I think they'll be looking to get this done ASAP to avoid the "Melodrama" of last year. they want paul to leave amicably and they want to get some pieces in return. I'm sure they will be well compensated and we'll have a thread or two about how we gave up too much in trading Toney Douglas, a bag of cheetos and james dolan's guitar for Chris Paul. ;)

CA7

Scoring Champ
I think they'll be looking to get this done ASAP to avoid the "Melodrama" of last year. they want paul to leave amicably and they want to get some pieces in return. I'm sure they will be well compensated and we'll have a thread or two about how we gave up too much in trading Toney Douglas, a bag of cheetos and james dolan's guitar for Chris Paul. ;)

oh no, not a whole bag of cheetos

On a serious not, it has to happen now because all their season is going to be about is will you trad CP3 its an unneeded distraction for the team and the NBA not to mention Stern will reward the them with a top 2 pick if they dont make the playoffs, and thats what will draw interest from a potential the owner the ability to start fresh with a new face of the franchise, Drummond or Davis

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Right now we could trade almost every piece of this team, frankly, we have lack of talent on our roster at the moment. Douglas has some pool of talent but unfortunately he's inconsistent and can't carry the responsibility of a starter. He could play Paul's backup, but if we're going to trade him, I'm cool about that. The only players we have to at least try to keep are Shumpert and Harrellson/Jordan.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The best option for us is to sign him during the offseason. We just don't have enough quality role players even without CP3. If only we had draft picks.

Wargames

Starter
Looks like the trade will happen early and the hornets will take what they can get. Like I said in the trade they can play this smart or they can go down like the Cavs.

Turiaf for Ariza (3 year deal worth a little more than the MLE)
Paul for Billups
And a combination of Fields, and/or TD (or the first rounders they could provide)

I doubt they move okafor to us since he will probably be traded to fill up NO's roster.

We kind of need Ariza to be the quality roleplayer, plus he and shumpert could be the guys we develop that defensive 2nd unit the knicks so desperately need

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
NO can trade Paul to a more preferable destination, there are plenty of franchises among the NBA teams that can offer much more than we do. For us it doesn't really matter whether we land Chris now or during the 2012 offseason, our salary cap won't change that much to make it easier to build a team around our three major pieces, but pushing for a trade now we could avoid another "decision time" or "melodrama". Last but not least, our current players also deserve some certainty about their future, it will be probably better for them and their families to know where they're going to spend the upcoming season. Playing for the Knicks and hearing daily rumors about being possibly traded to the Hornets or any other team that could also be involved in an eventual trade isn't comfortable both for them and the franchise.

NO can trade Paul to a more preferable destination, there are plenty of franchises among the NBA teams that can offer much more than we do.
But does Cp3 want to play with them? If Cp3 only wants to join the Knicks then he won't accept a sign and trade to any other team BUT the Knicks, and I'm sure no team would want to give up pieces just have cp3 as a rental.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Obviously, it's incomprehensible for a team to send a bunch of assets for a guy that is not willing to play for them, but isn't it exactly what the Nets did landing Williams, who probably won't resign with future Brooklyn?

smokes

Huge Member

Realistically there's no way NO will trade without taking Douglas and Fields. We'll be extremely lucky to retain Shumpert and Jordan. Just because they know he's leaving one way or another it's not like they are just going to lay down and take it in the ass from us.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Paul

I do not doubt his value or his desire to come to the Knicks, but I remain unconvinced that we have a realistic chance of getting Chris Paul via a trade or as a free agent.

There are, apparently, substantial differences in what Paul can earn going forward dependent upon whether he stays with New Orleans, is traded by New Orleans, is extended and then traded by New Orleans, or plays out as a free agent. I believe there is a difference of over $30M in staying with New Orleans or signing as a 2012 free agent with the Knicks.

It seems very unlikely that Paul will stay with New Orleans. But we are not a good trade partner becuase we have very limited assets. Our earliest first round draft pick available to trade is in 2016. Other teams, including for example the Clippers, can offer much more. LA is not a bad location and Griffin is a major talent.

Will Paul refuse to sign elsewhere? Unless he truly thinks a trade to the Knicks will happen, I do not think so. Although we will have cap space next year, we will not have enough to give him a max salary and new contracts carry smaller annual increases and cover shorter periods. Paul has some questionable knees and it is in his interest to get as long a contract as possible.

Remember, Carmelo wanted the Knicks, but was not willing to give up the sure max contract. Why do we think Paul will be any different? How many posters truly believed that Carmelo would sign with the Nets rather than wait for free agency and the uncertainties of the new CBA?

If we do somehow sign Paul, we will have three truly great players but within a year or two, the three of them will be eating up over $60M of cap space. Dolan will be paying an exorbitant luxury tax and, unless we get Paul in free agency, the rest of our team are not likely to provide reasonable depth.

I get the impression that we are saving our cap space for 2012. We are not going to buy players with more than one year contracts. Next year we will make whatever splash we can.
If we intended to invest in a quality free agent this year, we would not have picked up Billups' $14.2M contract.

If we can get Paul, great. If we miss him, there will be another guy available -- Steve Nash. Perhaps he will have another year or two left in the tank. He will certainly not command a max salary. And what about D. Will? He has apparently already opted for free agency

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I do not doubt his value or his desire to come to the Knicks, but I remain unconvinced that we have a realistic chance of getting Chris Paul via a trade or as a free agent.

There are, apparently, substantial differences in what Paul can earn going forward dependent upon whether he stays with New Orleans, is traded by New Orleans, is extended and then traded by New Orleans, or plays out as a free agent. I believe there is a difference of over $30M in staying with New Orleans or signing as a 2012 free agent with the Knicks.

It seems very unlikely that Paul will stay with New Orleans. But we are not a good trade partner becuase we have very limited assets. Our earliest first round draft pick available to trade is in 2016. Other teams, including for example the Clippers, can offer much more. LA is not a bad location and Griffin is a major talent.

Will Paul refuse to sign elsewhere? Unless he truly thinks a trade to the Knicks will happen, I do not think so. Although we will have cap space next year, we will not have enough to give him a max salary and new contracts carry smaller annual increases and cover shorter periods. Paul has some questionable knees and it is in his interest to get as long a contract as possible.

Remember, Carmelo wanted the Knicks, but was not willing to give up the sure max contract. Why do we think Paul will be any different? How many posters truly believed that Carmelo would sign with the Nets rather than wait for free agency and the uncertainties of the new CBA?

If we do somehow sign Paul, we will have three truly great players but within a year or two, the three of them will be eating up over $60M of cap space. Dolan will be paying an exorbitant luxury tax and, unless we get Paul in free agency, the rest of our team are not likely to provide reasonable depth.

I get the impression that we are saving our cap space for 2012. We are not going to buy players with more than one year contracts. Next year we will make whatever splash we can.
If we intended to invest in a quality free agent this year, we would not have picked up Billups' $14.2M contract.

If we can get Paul, great. If we miss him, there will be another guy available -- Steve Nash. Perhaps he will have another year or two left in the tank. He will certainly not command a max salary. And what about D. Will? He has apparently already opted for free agency

:aplause:

That's it in a nut shell, knicksonline.com.

After last year's big trade, we are not big players in trading for any stars, because we quite literally do not have the stock to do so.

Paul has apparently declared his openness to going to LAC. I believe that the Clips can put together a nice package if they sign and trade Deandre Jordan along with Kaman's expiring, Eric Gordon, Randy Foye, Ryan Gomes and next year's 2 first rounders (as opposed to our 2016).

In doing so, they would be able to take on both Okafor and Ariza's long and pricey contracts, leaving N.O with a young, up and coming center, a high potential shooting guard in his last contractual season in Gordon, 2 firsts - to add to their current first for next year, $12M in Kaman's contract coming off the books, and Randy Foye's - a serviceable wingman capable of supplanting Ariza - expiring on the out.

So basically this:

381246_2641313627327_1090158690_32936907_254782367_n.jpg

With the addition of DeAndre Jordan at approx $9-10M a year. Assuming, of course, that he takes the deal.

That would leave the Hornets with around $24M in cap space next year (providing they don't re-sign the declining David West and) + a young athletic center - rare in the league these days + an additional $6M of expiring contracts and 3 first round picks for the upcoming season.

So after signing their first rounders, an estimated $18M in cap.

That is a far cry from anything we can conjure up.

smokes

Huge Member
Well, who knows if CP3's openness to going to the Clippers is genuine or not. Everyone knows his preferred destination is the Knicks. Lets be real, the Clippers do not have a chance for a title anytime soon.

If he was seriously interested in the Clippers I could only imagine it would be because him and D12 have had words about teaming up there. In which case it's unlikely that they would want to ditch Kaman's expiring for Okafors 3 year overpaid contract, as they would not have the cap room to sign a max FA plus they would be hamstrung with an average C on a long term contract.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Chris Paul doesnt wanna go to the Clippers, who wants to play for the Clippers he can join Blake and that be all since Sterling doensnt spend money and have to compete with OKC, GSW, Sacramento, the Lakers, the Grizzles and Rockets who all will be better than the Clippers or go to the Knicks and gradually add talent along with STAT and Melo, CP3 wants New York and come December 9th he will tell Demps that and the NBA, who owns the Hornets will get bad publicity whether they trade him here or wherever its not fair to him and us when the Heat can do what they did, the Lakers can rob the Grizzles of Gasol, and Boston got KG and Allen right before their prime was over its bull-shit trade him here December 9th because with all the nonsense of the lockout I think the media and fans need to focus on ball on the court and not who's going where, Stern should want the focus on basketball and not next off-season which is why Howard and Paul need to be honest with what they want

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't think CP3 wants go to play for Donald Sterling.

I don't think anybody does. Sterling is a racist **** who heckles his own players and doesn't pay for his employees' healthcare (he refused to pay head coach Kim Hughes' prostate cancer bill, so the players footed the bill instead).

If CP3 signs with the LA Clippers he can go **** himself

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Paul can always decline to resign anywhere, if he really wants the Knicks he can always say: trade me to New York and get what you can or get lebroned and I join the Knicks anyway.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If CP3 signs with the LA Clippers he can go **** himself

Oh brother here we go... See this is why people feel we think we should have any player we want just because its NY. That mentality makes us look like sore losers. Last I checked, LA and NY were pretty even on the most popular city to play for list.