Official Mike D'Antoni appreciation thread

wynton

Rookie
I had problems with some of his approach, but D'Antoni certainly was a good soldier.

For a couple of years, he coached a team of misfits. As soon as he experienced a small degree of success last year, the team was dismantled. He never complained in public. And this year he's again had an impossible task, expected to create a team with a constant-changing roster (including some with selfish reps). Meanwhile, the players knew he was just a lame-deck.

I feel sorry for him, but I probably shouldn't. He had a very-high paying job and will probably land another one eventually.

All in all, he's pretty classy.

goNYgo

Rookie
well you tell me what coach resigns 20 game left in the season and team is fighting for playoff spot? what coach would jump ship, no Dantoni was fired and was told to say he resigned like Lenny Wilkens did. Don Chaney ask him also.
I'm all in with this post. + rep brother :beer:

There is 20 games left, playoffs in reach.. He was fired. He didn't just 'resign'.

smokes

Huge Member
I had problems with some of his approach, but D'Antoni certainly was a good soldier.

For a couple of years, he coached a team of misfits. As soon as he experienced a small degree of success last year, the team was dismantled. He never complained in public. And this year he's again had an impossible task, expected to create a team with a constant-changing roster (including some with selfish reps). Meanwhile, the players knew he was just a lame-deck.

I feel sorry for him, but I probably shouldn't. He had a very-high paying job and will probably land another one eventually.

All in all, he's pretty classy.

I do appreciate MDA regardless of this threads intended sarcasm!

He gave it a go, it didn't work out, glad to see he left now instead of clinging on until the bitter end.

I've said all along I like MDA as a coach just not for the Knicks.

Thanks for coaching us through some tough times, Coach D'Antoni. In the long run, things didn't work out cause it just wasn't be, but we had some fun along the way. Hope you land on your feet.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
GG D'antoni. If the Knicks still suck after he is fired, it is going to be all on Melo because he basically got D'antoni fired.

Not a fan of D'antoni or Melo, just a fan of the Knicks.

Exactly and wonder how many more coachs will melo get fired?:barf:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
whoever appreciated Dantoni is a damn fool.

that is all
I appreciate that he decided to coach the Knicks through tough times, especially after being named COY. I understand he left Phoenix for more $$$, but props for coming here and staying multiple years while we were getting rid of all the mess Isiah left... I'm happy he left but respect for dealining with Dolan for more than three years, any other succesful coach (because MDA was succesful before he came here) would pack his bags right after Dolan jumped in and made the call to land Carmelo.

pat

Starter
If D'Antoni ends up with the Clippers next year...look out. He'll probably end up with Portland which is a team that could flourish with D'Antoni.

Exactly my thoughts. Let's see how long the "Hooray he is gone" honeymoon is going to last for us though.

He'll kick some ass in the future, because where ever he goes next - no team is as terribly managed as the Knicks. They'll give him the right personell and he'll get a few more 60+ win seasons under his belt just like Phoenix.

Still one of the best offensive coaches in basketball.

2008-2009 was a great season to watch, especially the start f the year when we had Jamal and Z-Bo. D'Antoni did a great job that year after years of bullshit by assholes like Isiah, Marbury or Francis who were nothing but cancers to this franchise.

Now we have Melo....the next Marbury....and that's by no means a compliment.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
He'll kick some ass in the future, because where ever he goes next - no team is as terribly managed as the Knicks. They'll give him the right personell and he'll get a few more 60+ win seasons under his belt just like Phoenix.

Still one of the best offensive coaches in basketball.

2008-2009 was a great season to watch, especially the start f the year when we had Jamal and Z-Bo. D'Antoni did a great job that year after years of bullshit by assholes like Isiah, Marbury or Francis who were nothing but cancers to this franchise.

Now we have Melo....the next Marbury....and that's by no means a compliment.

Come on now, you're smarter than that. D'antoni is a decent person, liked by players mostly because he lets them do what they want. He was paid 6MM per and made poor decisions, taught his young PG's nothing, and proved he had no ability to deal with or inspire high paid big ego players.

He sent Z-Bo out the door even though he was playing at a high level, admitted later he made a mistake. :peace:

knicksin60

Starter
I don't know why people continue feeding this troll. He isn't a real Knicks fan. He only shows up here to troll and poke fun at the Knicks organization whenever they are losing or doing terribly.The only reason why he has lasted so long here without being banned is because the majority of posters have always believed that he's a legitimate Knicks fan who comes here to share his basketball opinions with others. There is a reason why he has such a negative reputation.