Official Rubio Rumormill

mafra

Legend
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12697087?source=rss

Open letter from Minnesota Timberwolves' David Kahn: Two point guards 'can and will work'

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->Pioneer Press

<!--date-->Updated: 06/26/2009 02:20:06 PM CDT

EDITOR'S NOTE: Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn has written an open letter to Wolves fans, explaining their draft-day decisions of Thursday night.

Dear Timberwolves Fans and Supporters:

It's been five weeks since I arrived in Minneapolis and I hope you can feel what I feel: change.

I especially want to talk about last night's draft and explain why we made the decisions we did.

First, from a philosophical standpoint, I believe that teams should select players in the top 10 of the NBA Draft who have the chance ? and I underline the word chance ? to be special later in their careers. You do not use the fifth and sixth picks to select rotation players, but only players that figure to be starters, if not out-and-out stars.

So, we were committed to taking two players who fit that description, and we were less concerned about the positions they played, assuming they were not power forwards.

There were several two-person options we would have been comfortable with at those selections.

It wasn't until late Thursday afternoon that I thought there was a chance Ricky Rubio might be available for us at No. 5. I had actually been told by somebody who I deeply respect in the NBA that Ricky would be selected third by Oklahoma City. But we were prepared for all options nonetheless.
Ricky has one of the most tenacious, most capable agents in our sport, Dan Fegan. He cares deeply about his clients. I explained to Dan late afternoon that we were singularly motivated to build an NBA championship-contending team in Minnesota ? that it might take a few years, of course ? but that nobody here cared about anything other than competing for an NBA title.
That we have only one life to live, and that we must spend our lives trying, as Pat Riley once taught me, to leave footprints.

I purposely selected Ricky with the fifth pick, not the sixth, to help with his buyout situation. Ricky and his family have taken a very bold step to enter the NBA despite having two years remaining on his contract with his Spanish team. I know that they would have preferred that we try to move to the second or third pick to take him, and I respect their wishes, but my belief was that we need during these next 15 months to acquire multiple pieces to make this a championship-contending team over the next three-to-four years. The price for moving to No. 2 or 3 was far too steep.

Ricky is a proven professional who played against the USA in the Gold Medal game in the Beijing Olympics. He is a virtuoso, a rare player who may well be unique. I have long believed that he has the chance to become one of basketball's brightest stars. You've seen the highlights ? he is like an orchestra conductor with the basketball.

He will be our starting point guard here the moment he walks through our front door. We may have to wait a year, or even two, but he is worth the wait.

We must be patient. This is a big step for he and his family.

With the sixth pick, we selected Jonny Flynn. I truly believe that Jonny is as much a scorer as a playmaker and will thrive playing off of Ricky. I also believe that, together, we will have one of the most dynamic defensive backcourts in the NBA over time. You will love Jonny Flynn. He, too, will be special.

And I also believe that there is a tendency in the NBA for all of us (myself included) to become too formulaic in our thinking. If you think of the Detroit Pistons backcourt during their championship run, with Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinnie Johnson, or the Celtics with their backcourt of Danny Ainge and Dennis Johnson (and before Ainge there was Gerald Henderson), or the Lakers with Jerry West and Gail Goodrich, or the Knicks with Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe, there are many instances of championship success that is not so paint-by-the-numbers.

It can and will work.

At the 18th pick, we did not believe we could identify a player who would be worthy of that rookie scale slot and become part of our core nucleus, so in an attempt to further stockpile assets, we traded it for a future first-round pick with only modest lottery protection. This will prove to be valuable. We also traded one of our two second-round picks for a 2010 second-round pick.

Finally, we selected Wayne Ellington with the 28th pick, one of the stars off the North Carolina National Championship team. Wayne is a 6-foot-5 shooter who has improved dramatically this season. He will help us soon. And, last but not least, we used our remaining second-round pick to take Henk Norel, a teammate of Ricky's in Spain, who is long and athletic. Norel has one year remaining on his contract.

What excites me most about this team is the following:

Al Jefferson, at 24, is the oldest player of our four future building blocks.

Kevin Love is 20. Jonny Flynn is 20. Ricky is 18. Wayne Ellington is 21. And let's not forget Corey Brewer is 23, Ryan Gomes is 26 and Sebastian Telfair just turned 24.

We will need a special coach who understands that we are very much in the development stage and need to be shaped and molded. I have already talked to Al Jefferson and Kevin Love about the qualities they would like to see in their new coach ? what kind of person we should be seeking ? and will also consult with our new players. Players respect structure and discipline. They want to know where they stand. And they want to know the coach has their back. I am eager to hear from Ricky, Jonny, Wayne and some of our existing players as we prepare our list.

These are fun times, I hope, to be a Timberwolves fan as we continue on this journey. There will be bumps and bruises along the way, but I believe we are pointed in the right direction.

As always, thank you for your interest and passion. It makes our jobs easier. David Kahn

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12697087?source=rss

Open letter from Minnesota Timberwolves' David Kahn: Two point guards 'can and will work'

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->Pioneer Press

<!--date-->Updated: 06/26/2009 02:20:06 PM CDT

EDITOR'S NOTE: Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn has written an open letter to Wolves fans, explaining their draft-day decisions of Thursday night.

Dear Timberwolves Fans and Supporters:

It's been five weeks since I arrived in Minneapolis and I hope you can feel what I feel: change.

I especially want to talk about last night's draft and explain why we made the decisions we did.

First, from a philosophical standpoint, I believe that teams should select players in the top 10 of the NBA Draft who have the chance — and I underline the word chance — to be special later in their careers. You do not use the fifth and sixth picks to select rotation players, but only players that figure to be starters, if not out-and-out stars.

So, we were committed to taking two players who fit that description, and we were less concerned about the positions they played, assuming they were not power forwards.

There were several two-person options we would have been comfortable with at those selections.

It wasn't until late Thursday afternoon that I thought there was a chance Ricky Rubio might be available for us at No. 5. I had actually been told by somebody who I deeply respect in the NBA that Ricky would be selected third by Oklahoma City. But we were prepared for all options nonetheless.
Ricky has one of the most tenacious, most capable agents in our sport, Dan Fegan. He cares deeply about his clients. I explained to Dan late afternoon that we were singularly motivated to build an NBA championship-contending team in Minnesota — that it might take a few years, of course — but that nobody here cared about anything other than competing for an NBA title.
That we have only one life to live, and that we must spend our lives trying, as Pat Riley once taught me, to leave footprints.

I purposely selected Ricky with the fifth pick, not the sixth, to help with his buyout situation. Ricky and his family have taken a very bold step to enter the NBA despite having two years remaining on his contract with his Spanish team. I know that they would have preferred that we try to move to the second or third pick to take him, and I respect their wishes, but my belief was that we need during these next 15 months to acquire multiple pieces to make this a championship-contending team over the next three-to-four years. The price for moving to No. 2 or 3 was far too steep.

Ricky is a proven professional who played against the USA in the Gold Medal game in the Beijing Olympics. He is a virtuoso, a rare player who may well be unique. I have long believed that he has the chance to become one of basketball's brightest stars. You've seen the highlights — he is like an orchestra conductor with the basketball.

He will be our starting point guard here the moment he walks through our front door. We may have to wait a year, or even two, but he is worth the wait.

We must be patient. This is a big step for he and his family.

With the sixth pick, we selected Jonny Flynn. I truly believe that Jonny is as much a scorer as a playmaker and will thrive playing off of Ricky. I also believe that, together, we will have one of the most dynamic defensive backcourts in the NBA over time. You will love Jonny Flynn. He, too, will be special.

And I also believe that there is a tendency in the NBA for all of us (myself included) to become too formulaic in our thinking. If you think of the Detroit Pistons backcourt during their championship run, with Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinnie Johnson, or the Celtics with their backcourt of Danny Ainge and Dennis Johnson (and before Ainge there was Gerald Henderson), or the Lakers with Jerry West and Gail Goodrich, or the Knicks with Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe, there are many instances of championship success that is not so paint-by-the-numbers.

It can and will work.

At the 18th pick, we did not believe we could identify a player who would be worthy of that rookie scale slot and become part of our core nucleus, so in an attempt to further stockpile assets, we traded it for a future first-round pick with only modest lottery protection. This will prove to be valuable. We also traded one of our two second-round picks for a 2010 second-round pick.

Finally, we selected Wayne Ellington with the 28th pick, one of the stars off the North Carolina National Championship team. Wayne is a 6-foot-5 shooter who has improved dramatically this season. He will help us soon. And, last but not least, we used our remaining second-round pick to take Henk Norel, a teammate of Ricky's in Spain, who is long and athletic. Norel has one year remaining on his contract.

What excites me most about this team is the following:

Al Jefferson, at 24, is the oldest player of our four future building blocks.

Kevin Love is 20. Jonny Flynn is 20. Ricky is 18. Wayne Ellington is 21. And let's not forget Corey Brewer is 23, Ryan Gomes is 26 and Sebastian Telfair just turned 24.

We will need a special coach who understands that we are very much in the development stage and need to be shaped and molded. I have already talked to Al Jefferson and Kevin Love about the qualities they would like to see in their new coach — what kind of person we should be seeking — and will also consult with our new players. Players respect structure and discipline. They want to know where they stand. And they want to know the coach has their back. I am eager to hear from Ricky, Jonny, Wayne and some of our existing players as we prepare our list.

These are fun times, I hope, to be a Timberwolves fan as we continue on this journey. There will be bumps and bruises along the way, but I believe we are pointed in the right direction.

As always, thank you for your interest and passion. It makes our jobs easier. David Kahn

He is an idiot or full of shit...

Basically he made the trade for the 5th pick having no idea Rubio would be available and drafted him without a plan once he saw Rubio was still on the board. I don't fault him for that, I would do the same. The problem is drafting Flynn at 6...which was their plan all along. They did not adapt and take a complimentary player like Curry.

I am convinced Kahn is a moron...you are building a team around a young dominant post up center(AJ) and you trade your two best shooters for two pointgurds not known for their jumpshot or half court sets. I hope I am wrong and this is leverage to trade Rubio for someone on the Knicks but I don't think Kahn is that smart.

LOL at: we will have one of the most dynamic defensive backcourts in the NBA over time.

iSaYughh

Starter
:barf:Reading that makes me wanna pimp slap Kahn.....and any1 else sickened that it seems true we coulda had the 5 for chandler/hughes...i mean, chandler....and hughes.....? Even if they didn't "know" Rubio woulda been there, the distinct possibility was there, along with a host of other relatively worthy players.....can't believe the trigger wasn't pulled if so...

pat

Starter
He is an idiot

I think I'll have to disagree. He did exactly the right thing: Drafting according to talent. If you have the most talented players (or most hyped at that) you'll get a chance to trade them for quality veterans or picks in a deeper draft (aka next year). If not they have the talent to adapt and do what you ask them to do. And I can actually see Flynn playing off the ball. They are rebuilding and things can't get worse.

ANU

Starter
:barf:Reading that makes me wanna pimp slap Kahn.....and any1 else sickened that it seems true we coulda had the 5 for chandler/hughes...i mean, chandler....and hughes.....? Even if they didn't "know" Rubio woulda been there, the distinct possibility was there, along with a host of other relatively worthy players.....can't believe the trigger wasn't pulled if so...
yeah.they could have gotten rubio or curry at that point.

mafra

Legend

I think the deal with WAS involved Chandler-Hughes and taking back Songalia's contract (which would be on the books 2010-2011). That was too much....

I sort of think MIN made the deal b/c they wanted to trade with NYK.

Kahn & Walsh are pals.... This might be his way to bluff us... make us give up more for Rubio. I mean, MIN had the 6th pick... who did they covet... so much they made those deals? Unless, they really wanted Flynn, wanted to get rid of Foye-Miller... clear some money.... cap space.... for a compliment to Jefferson- DAVID LEE.

I imagine this is just noise, that he seeks David Lee plus something; maybe Lee & Chandler, or Lee and Nate? Not sure how that woud work, if they have "bad" contracts we would have to take back.

SO, while I'm not positive he's looking to deal Rubio.... I'm sure this is all acting.... so if he wants to deal him he'll get the best deal he can.

Who knows?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
My prediction: Rickey Rubio will be in a Knicks uniform by the end of next week. I'll say it again, by July 3rd Rubio will be a Knick.

Dude's dad is real smart. So his dad tells a Spanish news paper that his son will be back in Spain. Then Kevin love twitters the same thing. All of this puts Kahn in a precarious position. He can lose Rubio for nothing or ask him where he wants to go and make a deal. Lee and the Toney Douglas will be traded for Rubio. Good for us, good for Minnesota.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I think the deal with WAS involved Chandler-Hughes and taking back Songalia's contract (which would be on the books 2010-2011). That was too much....

I sort of think MIN made the deal b/c they wanted to trade with NYK.

Kahn & Walsh are pals.... This might be his way to bluff us... make us give up more for Rubio. I mean, MIN had the 6th pick... who did they covet... so much they made those deals? Unless, they really wanted Flynn, wanted to get rid of Foye-Miller... clear some money.... cap space.... for a compliment to Jefferson- DAVID LEE.

I imagine this is just noise, that he seeks David Lee plus something; maybe Lee & Chandler, or Lee and Nate? Not sure how that woud work, if they have "bad" contracts we would have to take back.

SO, while I'm not positive he's looking to deal Rubio.... I'm sure this is all acting.... so if he wants to deal him he'll get the best deal he can.

Who knows?

Kevin Love? hello?

JayJ44

Starter
My prediction: Rickey Rubio will be in a Knicks uniform by the end of next week. I'll say it again, by July 3rd Rubio will be a Knick.

Dude's dad is real smart. So his dad tells a Spanish news paper that his son will be back in Spain. Then Kevin love twitters the same thing. All of this puts Kahn in a precarious position. He can lose Rubio for nothing or ask him where he wants to go and make a deal. Lee and the Toney Douglas will be traded for Rubio. Good for us, good for Minnesota.

Co-sign. Except they'll probably want Hill instead of Lee.

Red

TYPE-A
Knicks still in hunt for Ricky Rubio
June 26, 2009
The Knicks are about to officially enter the Ricky Rubio sweepstakes.
Donnie Walsh revealed on Friday that he intends to call his former assistant, Minnesota GM David Kahn, about the availability of Rubio, the fifth overall pick from Thursday's NBA Draft.
Rubio, the highly touted point guard from Spain, would prefer to play in New York. Rubio's father told Marca.com that his son may elect to stay with his club team in Spain for at least another two years.
Minnesota drafted three point guards in the first round, including Jonny Flynn at six. They also drafted Ty Lawson but traded him to Denver. The Knicks could have the inside track on Rubio for several reasons. For one, he wants to play in New York. The other is Walsh's relationship with Kahn that dates back to their days with the Indiana Pacers.
Perhaps the Knicks can work out a multi-player deal where they'll trade at least Wilson Chandler to get Rubio. The Knicks may have to include Jordan Hill and take back the contract of Brian Cardinal.
Hill was drafted eighth overall and the Knicks also traded to get the 29th pick, point guard Toney Douglas from Florida State. Douglas, by the way, will wear No. 23 which was vacated when Quentin Richardson was traded for Dark Milicic. Of course, Douglas is only renting that number until LeBron James signs with the Knicks in 13 months.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2009/06/knicks-still-in-hunt-for-ricky.html#ixzz0JZtpiCJE&D

Rubio talk continues to linger
OK, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. But this Ricky Rubio thing is more of a smolder. And on Friday Donnie Walsh blew on the embers to keep them glowing a little, though his rare transparency was curious.

On the day the Knicks introduced first round picks Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas to the media at the MSG Training Center, Walsh acknowledged that he planned to call his former protege, Timberwolves president David Kahn, to check in on the situation involving his decision to select two point guards -- Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn -- with back-to-back picks at No. 5 and 6.

?I haven?t spoken to Minnesota, I will," Walsh said. "I don?t know what?s going on there. He took a lot of point guards so I want to ask him, ?Why did you do that?? In a way that kind of helped us because that left us with two players that were, in our mind, really good players. I just want to find out.?

Walsh said Rubio was "very high" on the Knicks draft board but when asked if he would have selected the Spanish guard if he were there at No. 8, Walsh replied, ?We would have considered a lot of people at eight, but tht would have meant that the guy that we got would have been gone.?

Multiple sources have said that Rubio was not as highly-regarded by the Knicks as Stephen Curry and Tyreke Evans and perhaps not as much as Hill, whom some Knick scouts touted as the second-best player in the draft. But if there is a chance Rubio -- whose father told a Spanish media outlet that his son will most likely remain in Spain for two years (until his current contract with DKV Joventut expires) -- could be acquired for a relatively cheap cost, it's worth a look.

But before we explore the options, you should know that Kahn was on with Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio this morning and vehemently denied any intentions to trade Rubio. Kahn said he was quite aware that Rubio might decide not to report and that's why he took Flynn with the very next pick. The T-Wolves can play Flynn now and take their time dealing with the Rubio situation.

Rubio we're told was desperately hopeful he would somehow wind up with the Knicks and, apparently, is still holding out hope. It is pretty clear that he would immediately report if the Knicks acquired his rights.

But, though Walsh says he will check it out, it is still very unlikely to happen.

I just want to know... If this goes down, will all the Donnie Haters bow down and humble themselves?

Peep the sig my nig!!!! Bye Q:countdown:, Curry and Jeffries next!

dre48ny

Rotation player
As soon as the Wolves picked back 2 back PG's, we all knew Kahn and Walsh had something in the making. We've been talking about Rubio for like 2 years, this is the closest we can get to him. Kahn pals with Walsh, gotta like the chances. Gotta wait til Wed. July 1st.

smokes

Huge Member
After Ricky Rubio skipped his introductory press conference with the Wolves, Marca.com says that discussions on a possible trade to send Rubio to the Knicks are under way.

The report cites sign-and-trades of David Lee and Nate Robinson although such a deal could not be consummated until after the July moratorium is lifted.

Marca.com says it can confirm these negotiations to send Rubio to New York but there is no way to independently verify the report.

Marc Berman reports on the situation in his New York Post blog.

"The Knicks privately believe Rubio wants to be in New York and his agent Dan Fegan will work hard to make that happen," writes Berman. "The Knicks have intricate knowledge of Rubio's buyout contract; their European scout, Kevin Wilson, lives in Barcelona and is friends of the family."

Berman also says that the Knicks "believe" that Rubio's contract buyout, currently standing at $6.5 million, "can easily be worked out."

According to Berman's source, Rubio's camp "is hopeful the Knicks move in and strike a deal with the T'wolves."

Yeah baby!

mafra

Legend
Here's the problem:

How does this trade work under the Stern rules? If we sign-&-deal Lee & Nate.... That's like what? 8-9 mil a year for Lee, 4-6 a year for Nate? Rubio gets signed under slot for his pick? Would the $ match up?

I do think MIN moved up to 5 to position themselves for Lee or Nate.

I think Jefferson, Love, Lee & Gomes, along with Nate, Flynn, Ellington is a nice foundation.

Maybe somebody else offers a better package; or maybe they want Wilson Chandler & Nate instead?

Anyway.... I figured Rubio was trade bait when they drafted Flynn.... As soon as the GM started yipping-&-yapping, I'm all but sure he's being dealt now.

Who knows right?

BUT, when you have Jefferson.... You do not want to wait 2-3 years to compete! Not in the NBA.

Flynn
Ellington
Chandler
Jefferson
Love

w/ super 6th man Nate .... sounds like a plan, no?

the portable man

Benchwarmer
nate CANNOT go, if it's too much for me to think he'd be a great startin PG, they need to just deal lee and chandler for rubio and just continue havin nate as 6th man, 28-30 mpg, pg & sg backup

nate is just too good to be let go

its amazin when nate's only real weakness is fightin off screens and so many knick 'fans' still complain, so quick to let him go. overall he's too dynamic and is worth every penny TBFH

i dont mind rubio startin, as his dribble is up to par with nate's, but nate is proven and he has YET to be given starter privileges, which is prolly one of biggest disgraces in sports history, and yet he still schoolin the best in the nba

N8 > chandler & lee

smokes

Huge Member
Well Nate has a lot more weaknesses than you listed but I still like him as a player and a 6th man. He just has to work on some of those moments where he makes really bad decisions because those are very disappointing.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
every player makes bad decisions...superstar, role player, bench guy, whoever

its like bein mad about findin a black spot on a potato

and ironically he also averages one of the fewest TO's, 1.50 career, through 30 mpg, FAR LESS than yall favorite superstar guards....so in actuality he doesnt make as many bad decisions as every1 makes it seem

this shit is ridiculous what else does he have to prove to deserve to start???

thats how the nba goes, its ****in pthetic

if courtney lee can start for the magic and all these other rookies can too, nate should be given a chance, he's a beast case closed

im startin to think he should be traded where some1 will actually start him @ pg cuz knicks and most yall are isiahs illiegitamate children

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Stern has to step up in this situation fast! I mean right he should call Wolves GM and tell him to trade Rubio to us because it would make sense for all parties involve. When an opponent player from Spain comes to the garden, Spaniards fill up the joint with flags and chants the whole night. Business wise is good for the Knicks to have a markee player in Rubio which is good for the NBA. If Rubio is not traded he won't come to the US until his deal in Spain expiress which is in two years. Somebody has to get some senses to Kahn ASAP. This whole notion of assests is ridiculous because he traded two very good basketball players for absolutely nothing for a team that won only 24 games.

Walsh should give Kahn Chandler, Future First Round Picks in 2011, 2013, 2015, Jordan Hill for Ricky Rubio and a throwing to match contracts.

Damn this should be enough to satisfy all parties involve! The Knicks had been shopping Chandler before the draft so trading him here wouldn't be the end of the world. In essence we give the Wolves 4 players for 1, while giving them two very good defensive players to help Love and Jefferson make the a run to the playoffs in at least two years.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Stern has to step up in this situation fast! I mean right he should call Wolves GM and tell him to trade Rubio to us because it would make sense for all parties involve. When an opponent player from Spain comes to the garden, Spaniards fill up the joint with flags and chants the whole night. Business wise is good for the Knicks to have a markee player in Rubio which is good for the NBA. If Rubio is not traded he won't come to the US until his deal in Spain expiress which is in two years. Somebody has to get some senses to Kahn ASAP. This whole notion of assests is ridiculous because he traded two very good basketball players for absolutely nothing for a team that won only 24 games.

Walsh should give Kahn Chandler, Future First Round Picks in 2011, 2013, 2015, Jordan Hill for Ricky Rubio and a throwing to match contracts.

Damn this should be enough to satisfy all parties involve! The Knicks had been shopping Chandler before the draft so trading him here wouldn't be the end of the world. In essence we give the Wolves 4 players for 1, while giving them two very good defensive players to help Love and Jefferson make the a run to the playoffs in at least two years.

LOL why don't we throw the Empire State building into the deal too? Minnesota could use a new landmark...