How does it feel to DUNK??

orangeblobman

Rotation player
If you dunk, tell me how awesome it is.

I'm gonna be dunking by February 2013 and want to dream about it until then, and also think about it before I go to sleep, so that it becomes a certain destiny.

I'm gonna be throwing them down with the snatches, the squats.

When did you first dunk?

How good does it feel to dunk?

Do you get up just enough to technically dunk it or do you throw it down like an animal? (My goal is to throw it down like an animal, with authority)

Have you ever slammed it in a rec-league game?

Any other info is good about the dunking.

FEBRUARY 2013 FIRST DUNK

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I've never dunked as I'm only 5'7", but I can definately tell you how it feels to knock a three in front of a 6'8" dude.

KingCharles34

All Star
Im 5'10 and a half, white, and i have somewhere between a 16 and 20 inch vertical so its safe to say I've never dunked. Im about an inch away from touching the rim. I really dont wanna hear what it feels like to dunk, yea im jealous. But u can still make some really nice highlight plays just by being slick

orangeblobman

Rotation player
What happens in February 2013? :lol:

I dunk the **** out of the rock!!

Here's my story, man, it's really interesting:

I've been 6'3" since 7th grade but NEVER could I even TOUCH THE RIM until THIS YEAR.

I had NO hops, I mean NO HOPS, at all. Weakest kid in the school.

After about a year of strength training, squats, deadlifts all that stuff, I can GRAB THE RIM!!! I CAN SLAP GLASS ON EVERY LAY-UP AND EVEN WITH TWO HANDS FROM A STANDING POSITION!!!

This is OBVIOUS progress, and now that I am doing EXPLOSIVE, COMPOUND LIFTS like the Dumbbell Snatch, I JUST KNOW that I'll be slamming it by February, don't really need a lot.

I just can't wait, man.

That's what happens in February. I'll post a video, of course. :)

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Im 5'10 and a half, white, and i have somewhere between a 16 and 20 inch vertical so its safe to say I've never dunked. Im about an inch away from touching the rim. I really dont wanna hear what it feels like to dunk, yea im jealous. But u can still make some really nice highlight plays just by being slick

You can DEFINITELY dunk if you wanted to.

Sounds like you need to build up your strength a little first and then go into the dumbbell snatches or even barbell snatches.

It feels amazing being able to grab the rim and to slap glass at will and with authority on layups.

Do it, man, I say go for it dude!!

You just have to make a decision to do it.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah you could dunk it KS, just about. I'm 6'0 and white and I could only graze the rim back in the day, I did squats for 6 months and could dunk it after that. Then I blew my knee though :(

KingCharles34

All Star
Well i can only do so much with squats. Ive really slowly built up some strength but its a little risky. Ive had very bad sciatica in the past which is better now, but for some reason my left knee has hurt me anytime i squat down and stay down for a while, then comeback up. Like if im petting a small dog, when i come back up thats when it hurts. Plus i have heel spurs in my left foot. I only do squats 4 times a week because of this. 20 with 0 pounds, 20 with 15 pounds, 14 with 50 pounds, 14 with 50 pounds and im done. Ive been doing this for a little while and my knee hasnt gotten any worse so i might add another 12 squats with 50 pounds and eventually a 5th day. I just wanna be able to run again through the mountains Starbury style in the Spring time.

Sage

Rotation player
I could dunk up until about 4-5 years ago. I'm doing lots of squats and quick toe lifts (I'm sure there's a proper name for that) and my vertical is improving again.

Certainly here in Australia, the number of people who play AND can dunk are few, so it's awesome to throw one down, even just on a fast break.

Well i can only do so much with squats. Ive really slowly built up some strength but its a little risky. Ive had very bad sciatica in the past which is better now, but for some reason my left knee has hurt me anytime i squat down and stay down for a while, then comeback up.

Is the pain just below your kneecap? Sounds like a bit of Patellar tendonitis to me, stretching the surrounding muscles can help that.

wian

Benchwarmer
I am only 5 10 and white so cant dunk a full size ball, and at aged 35, its all a bit beyond me now ( Unless i lower my hoop to 9 foot ! hehe )

When i was in my prime back at 17-19 year old, i could dunk a mini ball off a 2 foot jump. I just couldn't get a full sized ball over the rim annoyingly. I was shocking at jumping off 1 foot though : (

I used to play with 2 freak athletes in my team when i was in my mid 20's. One guy was white and he had a sick leap

but the other guy was only 5 foot 7 and he was from New Guinea

I kid you not, in one game we played, he took off from just outside the circle , 2 foot plant and did a tomohawk Jordan Like Leaner in a game ! Literally C**KED it back and threw it down with tremendous force !

It was mind blowing !!!

orangeblobman

Rotation player
It's not beyond you at age 35!!!

Sage when you dunked in Australia how did it feel, did the women swarm you? That's how I imagine it.

Also, GREAT video here: (the guy is definitely selling you his system or whatever, but HE GIVES ONE GREAT POINT OF ADVICE ANYONE CAN USE IMMEDIATELY!!! YOUR LAST TWO STEPS BEFORE TAKING OFF SHOULD BE CLOSE TOGETHER AND THE LEG YOU ARE JUMPING FROM SHOULD BE AS STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE FOR MAX POWER OUTPUT!!!)

I'd be happy if I ended up dunking something like this guy: This would be a good level for me:

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Well i can only do so much with squats. Ive really slowly built up some strength but its a little risky. Ive had very bad sciatica in the past which is better now, but for some reason my left knee has hurt me anytime i squat down and stay down for a while, then comeback up. Like if im petting a small dog, when i come back up thats when it hurts. Plus i have heel spurs in my left foot. I only do squats 4 times a week because of this. 20 with 0 pounds, 20 with 15 pounds, 14 with 50 pounds, 14 with 50 pounds and im done. Ive been doing this for a little while and my knee hasnt gotten any worse so i might add another 12 squats with 50 pounds and eventually a 5th day. I just wanna be able to run again through the mountains Starbury style in the Spring time.

This is a great story, keep up the hard work.

By the way folks, glutes activate vertical leap by 75%.

I was a former strength and conditioning coach at Manhattan College when the ex-Knick Chris Smith played there. It was my job to make sure these athletes were in elite collegiate shape for performance. Agility (moving in different directions) and Power (strength + speed in the quickest amount of time) were the focus.

I'll give you guys one exercise that helped 7 players and even myself jump higher and sprint faster.

Hip Thrust.

I do 495 also, I'll take a video of me doing it one day.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
People will hurt themselves doing hip thrusts!!!! It's definitely not a required lift, far from it!!

Maybe for "advanced" athletes the hip thrust will have some application but you won't find any mention of hip thrusts in the old time strongman literature!!

metrocard

Legend
People will hurt themselves doing hip thrusts!!!! It's definitely not a required lift, far from it!!

Maybe for "advanced" athletes the hip thrust will have some application but you won't find any mention of hip thrusts in the old time strongman literature!!

This is an amateur response.
You're 100% wrong.

No one is going to do 495lb hip thrust right away, that takes times.

I've worked with non athletes and athletes the last 5 years. No one has gotten hurt from the hip thrust. The exercise is completely safe and very effective for decreasing pain in the low back and hip areas – when prescribed and coached properly. Any exercise you do sloppy you'll obviously get hurt. People get hurt doing push-ups.

Old time strongman are outdated, what the hell is that all you read? It's better to expand your studies because their research is flawed and past our time. Stop being a hater and entreprise your mind.

Why don't you try something out before you talk about it?

Hip Thrust activates 80% of the glutes, compared to squats that activate 25% of the glutes. Both are required lifts if you're an athlete.

If you're some amateur clown with bodyfat over 20%, then it doesn't matter. Have weak glutes and a weak overall body.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Is this body outdated?? This guy never heard of a hip thrust!

Sandow,_Eugene_-_1889_by_Henry_Van_der_Weyde_%281838-1924%29.jpg

orangeblobman

Rotation player
That's Eugen Sandow, the greatest bodybuilder to ever live, and he never did a single hip thrust in his life. And this was before steroids.

metrocard

Legend
This is why you don't bother with people, they're filled so much of their own crap...the moment they hear new information that may contradict their beliefs they become extremely defensive in the most ignorant way possible and not understanding of anything.

Humans get a high off of defending their beliefs, that's why many of them are underdeveloped.

Expand the horizons, I use to believe in a lot of things but dropped them to make myself better.

But stay stupid, I really don't care.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Dude, in a thread full of amateur basketball players and regular guys you try to give me some crazy useless lift that's more likely to kill someone in this thread than help him.

It's better to stick to the basics and get really good at them, like the old time strongmen.

What pro athletes do, I don't know and I don't care, they're on a different level.

We're talking about regular guys here. The simpler the better.