Advice to Lin

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
He's getting respect by stars... they get up to play him now

I honestly don't see it. I think he is getting beat up too much. Where was Stat or Melo putting a payback on J. Kidd? I just think Lin should prove he is a real player and take charge of his own future, try to be the leader of the Knicks.

Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
Lin can benefit from dribbling exercises and putting on some extra muscle...since he likes to slash alot. He needs to become more durable. A pint of blood lost each game is not a good thing...and that hard wood isn't going to get any softer.

Yes, that is in line with the point I was trying to make.

Lin is tough, has taken the hits and got back up. I just think he should take charge like before since the other PG's in the league are trying to put him down, they don't want to get beat by Lin.

Lin has to push himself past the tough times, but I don't see Stat or Melo backing him up. That was my point.

Think about it, what would Ewing or Oak do to Kidd, etc. if Lin was their PG?

quiggle

Starter
between you and me, Id love to see Lin in a Celtics uniform come time a free agent. with the Harvard roots and all, he would be a better fit with the tradition there instead of here with the Knicks. and Doc is undoubtledly a better coach then Dantoni

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
between you and me, Id love to see Lin in a Celtics uniform come time a free agent. with the Harvard roots and all, he would be a better fit with the tradition there instead of here with the Knicks. and Doc is undoubtledly a better coach then Dantoni

I could really see that happening.

Celts must rebuild after this year, they can get big value for Rondo, and Doc could help Lin become a quality PG. Plus, Lin has the good attitude to work around, Rondo with all his talent is a time bomb to deal with I hear.

How sad would it be if Lin walked and became a star in hated Beantown.

quiggle

Starter
the Knicks are just using Lin for merchandise as much as he is to them to showcase his ability to play in the league. at end of the day hes not the gritty type for New York. and if I were him id leave to, who wants to end up on Page Six talking about how stiff I was at clubs holding a bottle of beer and having my name made fun of in the back pages everyday. New York also has more garbage trash women anywhere in the country and being someone of his religious fervor, its like telling Tebow to play for the Jets.

Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.

Not bad advice at all...

Benchwarmer

:agreed:

During one of his interviews, Lin said before he played for the Knicks
he was always trying to fit in. He's doing that again because he thinks
he has to. Can't blame him, BUT, as you stated, he needs to "do his
own thing" again!! AND, the coach needs to allow him to play more.

Sitting on the bench watching the game only makes him lose his
momentum.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Lin's Commitment to Avoid Turnovers Is Hurting Him

The problem is this would kind of "show up" his teammates..... It's not in Lin to even think about going this route...........

Someone told me he's noticed that Lin may have lost some confidence....... I think although he's cut down on the turnovers, I was one who thought unlike a lot of players, Lin's turnovers were not really hurting the team- His aggressiveness resulted in high shooting percentages and offensive rebounds, which more than negated the turnover problem.

I'd rather see Lin get 14 assists with 7 turnovers than 6 assists with one turnover. The other Knicks players were getting open looks and driving lanes in the former case, but not the latter. The team was getting offensive rebounds in the former case but not the latter.

The Knicks were winning in the former case, but not the latter.

What's the point in cutting down turnovers if the overall play otherwise hurts the team?

During Linsanity, Lin was doing crossover moves, reverse layups, hesitation moves, and pump fakes...... Making plays that show up on highlight reels...... Since he stated he'd work hard to cut down on the turnovers, these plays have mysteriously vanished. His play has become too deliberate, and a lot easier to defend. And he's not going to the free-throw line as often.

Sometimes statistics can be deceiving. In the case of Lin, the turnover prone fearless version beats the turnover conscious deliberate one. Big time.

When it comes to turnovers, in most cases, it determines the outcome of games. In Lin's case, it has been the exception. Until Lin's turnovers start resulting in Knicks defeats (the team has been losing, but not for that reason), we shouldn't even worry about the turnovers.

Last edited:

kinein

Benchwarmer

This needs to be blown up on billboards all around MSG and their locker-room.

The knicks need Lin to demand the ball, demand the shot, and demand control. PLUS keep his dribble going! Can't stop it because the stars are glued to the floor.

Lin also needs to stop being submissive. If there is an open guy that is HUSTLING and spreading the paint - Lin will pass to him. Otherwise stop forcing it when we all know he is trying to give the stars touches. Stick to the offensive strategy and the ball will find the open man.

I'd rather see Lin's aggression and killer instinct on full display.

agree with this post 100%

One of the announcers mentioned how rarely if at all Amare and Carmelo show they are acknowledging the assists from Lin. Noticed Landry doing it every time.

kinein

Benchwarmer

Agree. I think he did a good job though during the lockout adding a lot more muscle. But he still has a ways to go - to improve his physical conditioning. More legs and some upper body to help with more control - he's getting slammed a lot and its not just his legs that are tiring out but his arms and traps and shoulders and back.

kinein

Benchwarmer

momentum.

I see that too.

Melo is richer. He can push D'Antoni more to bury him back to Jlin's warm bench

if a team can't even compromise, then they go to hell automatically

simply do what he can do, play without emotion is almost the best way, let logics run the course

Sometimes the angles are horrible for Lin. so if he could kick out, it is already a blessing
5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.[/QUOTE]

a Restricted free agent. He probably will get bought by Knicks, because unless the Knicks mgmt is composed of literally idiots and negative marketing experts who see no business value nor player value over JLin.

wian

Benchwarmer
I love the New York Knicks with a passion ! I have since the early 90's where our team took it right up to the Bulls more often than not ! They played with so much Heart, Passion and Determination !

Jeremy Lin is the best thing that has happened at this club in a long long time ! I would have Jeremy Lin on this side before Mello any day ! This bloke busts his arse off for this team night in night out and sadly he isn't getting the support from most of his peers and The Coach obviously isn't doing his job either !

I would build a team around Lin over Mello any day !

But knowing Jeremy and his attitude and his belief in his team mates, I believe if we give him time, he will make it work in the long run ! Maybe not going all the way this year, but in the years to come LOOK OUT !!! I think it will take time, but eventually it will CLICK all of a sudden

Daize

Rookie

momentum.

I don't know if the quote included him actually saying he was trying to fit in again, but glad he recognizes what's going on if he did. I mean the dude is a humble, respectful guy that recognizes that only a month ago, he was about to get cut, a no-namer, bench warmer so he's try to follow the assumed lead of Melo...which is where the probably lies cause melo ain't showing any semblance of leadership.

Also, I hope people don't think he's just trying to be the typical, hard working, conformist model minority Asian with this 'fit in' stuff....cause all of those preconceptions go against who he actually is.

This is a kid who said his favorite player he modeled himself after was Latrell "my family needs to eat" Sprewell, a kid who's immediate reaction after not getting drafted out of Harvard was quoted by a close friend as 'offended', and a kid in his 5th or 6th start ever at the end of the Raptors game changed his linsanity narrative from 'aww, cute story' to 'the continuing saga of the cold blooded, dagger throwing killer'.

As much as Lin perhaps thinks he's now trying too hard to fit in, it all start with D'antoni and for him to stop deferring to Melo's momentum killing in-game touches and give Lin back the reins to command the floor.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend

That will slow him down.

Lin just need to work on his ball security and know how to dribble through a tight defense, and how to keep his head up and keep his dribble going.

If Lin can work on his jumper too, we'll have legit B- Level PG.

kinein

Benchwarmer
That will slow him down.

Lin just need to work on his ball security and know how to dribble through a tight defense, and how to keep his head up and keep his dribble going.

If Lin can work on his jumper too, we'll have legit B- Level PG.

Based on his work ethic and the fact he's in touch with some top notch supplementary training - the Menlo Park training facility - those guys are world class. Gary Payton took him on under his wing. He is in touch with Tebow and Tebow's now partial owner of D1 training. I just want to share that Tebow's work ethic is top-notch. The guy trains like a champ and has been doing so since he was a little kid. First in the gym and last out of the parking lot. The guy will be a great friend to Lin in the future and help him only improve as an athlete with the conversations they do have and I'm sure invitations to train with their facilities and program.

It also starts with how much people like him in general in the NBA and those that are part of it in some-way. Lin is going to get all the help he wants.

Lin will only get better. If you look back on what Jeremy did after he started playing at Harvard and had the humility to return back to his HS coach and ask for real training. The guy has already willingly acknowledged parts of his game that needs improvement - he is only going to get better.

Just adding onto what you said. I wouldn't pigeon-hole him with a B rating. I think he is also better as PG/SG hybrid - He looked really great with Baron Davis on the floor with him. Teams CAN'T double team him if Baron Davis is also on the floor. Also under the tutelage of Baron Davis and others the only way he can go is up up and more up.

We also know he can perform against the best in the game. I consider Kobe the most clutch (i say clutch with CONSISTENCY) of the last 10 years.

Those shots over Dirk and Gasol weren't "lucky". Showed poise and confidence - and killer instinct.

I think he should put on some more muscle though. Derrick Rose is doing great and I think Jeremy Lin isn't going to bulk up as much as add quality muscle that is functional.

Last edited: