Advice to Lin

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
I hope he turns down all those Taiwan and China tours this summer and instead spend his whole time training for next season. It is an important off season for him and I hope he utilizes it to the fullest. A lot of doors will open this summer. Train with magic Johnson and Nash.

czoneny

Rookie
I hope he turns down all those Taiwan and China tours this summer and instead spend his whole time training for next season. It is an important off season for him and I hope he utilizes it to the fullest. A lot of doors will open this summer. Train with magic Johnson and Nash.

Word. It would be awesome if Magic Johnson took Jeremy under his wing and trained him. He seems to like Jeremy's game and was sayin' he was the real deal long before all the other hacks @ ESPN. :afro:

Benchwarmer
I don't know if the quote included him actually saying he was trying to fit in again, but glad he recognizes what's going on if he did. I mean the dude is a humble, respectful guy that recognizes that only a month ago, he was about to get cut, a no-namer, bench warmer so he's try to follow the assumed lead of Melo...which is where the probably lies cause melo ain't showing any semblance of leadership.

Also, I hope people don't think he's just trying to be the typical, hard working, conformist model minority Asian with this 'fit in' stuff....cause all of those preconceptions go against who he actually is.

This is a kid who said his favorite player he modeled himself after was Latrell "my family needs to eat" Sprewell, a kid who's immediate reaction after not getting drafted out of Harvard was quoted by a close friend as 'offended', and a kid in his 5th or 6th start ever at the end of the Raptors game changed his linsanity narrative from 'aww, cute story' to 'the continuing saga of the cold blooded, dagger throwing killer'.

As much as Lin perhaps thinks he's now trying too hard to fit in, it all start with D'antoni and for him to stop deferring to Melo's momentum killing in-game touches and give Lin back the reins to command the floor.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post:) But, it was my opinion that Lin is
trying to fit in again. And, when I say fit in, I mean that he is losing his
ability to think on his feet and play aggressively like he did because of
the added pressure of having to be point guard without taking all the shots.

But, who knows at this point. I think they're doing the best they can under
the circumstances. They need to "learn" how to play as a team. They need to
to learn the kind of defense that the Miami Heat seems to have mastered.

Daize

Rookie
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post:) But, it was my opinion that Lin is
trying to fit in again. And, when I say fit in, I mean that he is losing his
ability to think on his feet and play aggressively like he did because of
the added pressure of having to be point guard without taking all the shots.

But, who knows at this point. I think they're doing the best they can under
the circumstances. They need to "learn" how to play as a team. They need to
to learn the kind of defense that the Miami Heat seems to have mastered.

That's cool. Was just trying to add that it would have been encouraging if Lin also voiced this observation cause your take is definitely true. The funny thing about Lin's emergence story was he actually emerged after giving up on trying to 'fit in' and simply played his game not giving a F about anyone else lol.

But I would disagree on your second part. I think some are trying much harder to make this thing work than others. I think Lin and D'antoni are trying their asses off to figure out a way but without more leadership out of most importantly Melo, Melo-mediocrity wiil continue to devour Linsanity.

Sidenote, looking back, there was a red flag that suggested some impending conflict. I remember like during Lin's run, right before Melo came back, he did an interview with Stephan "I-say-words-but-don't-actually-say-anything" A Smith of espn that raised least one of my eyebrows. Melo said two things of note. One was his honest desire to play and follow Lin. I think the exact quote was "....Linsanity. I want that." Saying mainly I want to be apart of the awesomeness of Linsanity. Then juxtaposed with that was at the end Smith asks who takes the last shot. Melo didn't hesitate to reply he did, while conveying it in a manner that was pure ego stroking.

Instantly told me, this could be a problem. I do believe he honestly wants to win, but that showed he still didn't know exactly how to actually do the things it took to win. And at this point, not really showing signs as though he cares to learn anytime soon.

Last edited:

kinein

Benchwarmer
That's cool. Was just trying to add that it would have been encouraging if Lin also voiced this observation cause your take is definitely true. The funny thing about Lin's emergence story was he actually emerged after giving up on trying to 'fit in' and simply played his game not giving a F about anyone else lol.

But I would disagree on your second part. I think some are trying much harder to make this thing work than others. I think Lin and D'antoni are trying their asses off to figure out a way but without more leadership out of most importantly Melo, Melo-mediocrity wiil continue to devour Linsanity.

Sidenote, looking back, there was a red flag that suggested some impending conflict. I remember like during Lin's run, right before Melo came back, he did an interview with Stephan "I-say-words-but-don't-actually-say-anything" A Smith of espn that raised least one of my eyebrows. Melo said two things of note. One was his honest desire to play and follow Lin. I think the exact quote was "....Linsanity. I want that." Saying mainly I want to be apart of the awesomeness of Linsanity. Then juxtaposed with that was at the end Smith asks who takes the last shot. Melo didn't hesitate to reply he did, while conveying it in a manner that was pure ego stroking.

Instantly told me, this could be a problem. I do believe he honestly wants to win, but that showed he still didn't know exactly how to actually do the things it took to win. And at this point, not really showing signs as though he cares to learn anytime soon.

Agreed.

Lin needs to remember what made him suddenly an impact player. Stop fitting in and start playing with abandon - have fun, get fired up. Want the ball, want the shot.

Demand more from his team as well from himself.

Benchwarmer
Originally Posted by Daize

Agreed.

Lin needs to remember what made him suddenly an impact player. Stop fitting in and start playing with abandon - have fun, get fired up. Want the ball, want the shot.

Demand more from his team as well from himself.

Yes, I agree, too, that Lin needs to forget about fitting in and just
play ball like he did earlier in the season. Like he has nothing to lose!!

BUT, I think the coach has to let him play as much game as possible.
I think all this switching around is hindering the game instead of helping.

Daize

Rookie
While I think that is the solution, I don't think it's that easy and up to only him to do. I mean, right now, I think to allow Lin to get back to that mindset, it requires either Melo to start having his play reflect his mental desire to win or Dantoni to have a Lin-like 'I have nothing to lose moment' and just sit carmelo.

For Melo, I mean he wants to win, plays the part and act, then gets on the court and is his usual self being all lazy and stacy patterson-like and then becomes perplexed by the losing results. But since he's the superstar, the franchise, the team only follows his inevitable lead.

Which is why I think Dantoni is the only way left, but he needs to get that same, got-nothing-to-lose mentality. I mean, at this point, he's going to get fired eventually, and hopefully he can finally realize that and just say 'F it, if I'm going to get fired, might as well coach the way I know how and go down doing it my way'. Which at first thought would really be to bench Melo Eddie-style or something that incites some lost passion in that man cause his indifference on the court is almost palpable. And it's just simply killing the Knicks, like where pregame anti-depressants will be needed to sit through an entire game lol.

That will slow him down.

Lin just need to work on his ball security and know how to dribble through a tight defense, and how to keep his head up and keep his dribble going.

If Lin can work on his jumper too, we'll have legit B- Level PG.

The dribbling exercises should help him with his weak handle. As an NBA PG...his handle isn't really that good. He needs to be comfy with both hands and keep his head up. If he gets better at this he'll be able to split defenders with ease and his dimes will turn into dollars because he does have good vision.

I don't think he should bulk up (much), but he should harden up his body more. You can only take about so many of those crash landings in this sport. All he has to do is some calisthenics for a much more chisel and durable body. In fact...this will also make him faster and more athletic. As of now...that soft bod is getting hammered by dudes who almost weigh twice as much as him. He has a big heart, but that will of no use if the rest of the body is broken up.

kinein

Benchwarmer
The dribbling exercises should help him with his weak handle. As an NBA PG...his handle isn't really that good. He needs to be comfy with both hands and keep his head up. If he gets better at this he'll be able to split defenders with ease and his dimes will turn into dollars because he does have good vision.

I don't think he should bulk up (much), but he should harden up his body more. You can only take about so many of those crash landings in this sport. All he has to do is some calisthenics for a much more chisel and durable body. In fact...this will also make him faster and more athletic. As of now...that soft bod is getting hammered by dudes who almost weigh twice as much as him. He has a big heart, but that will of no use if the rest of the body is broken up.

He doesn't need Calisthenics and making a more chiseled body really does equate to building more muscle. Your basically saying the same thing without realizing you mean he needs to add more muscle.

He is not soft. He's just much lighter than the other guys - whom have had years to build muscle and develop muscle maturity. You don't seem to know to much about fitness training so I'll give you a pass since you used the C-word.

He doesn't need Calisthenics and making a more chiseled body really does equate to building more muscle. Your basically saying the same thing without realizing you mean he needs to add more muscle.

He is not soft. He's just much lighter than the other guys - whom have had years to build muscle and develop muscle maturity. You don't seem to know to much about fitness training so I'll give you a pass since you used the C-word.

I know a lot about fitness, I played simi-pro football, love martial arts and play bball for fun on the reg. You don't have to believe it, but Calisthenics is not the same as lifting weights (which actually bulks you up). If he cut up his body it will get hard, simply because he losses the soft tissue...the most he'll gain (if any) is 5 pounds. That will not hurt his game and if it does than he isn't as good as we thought. He will get broken up if he continues to play this kamikaze style of ball. He's just acting to be placed on the IR.

LeFlume

All Star
Don't make it harder than it is. Don't try to be fancy and remind yourself on every possession that you are NOT Derrick Rose. You are Jeremy Lin, Just out of D-league..

kinein

Benchwarmer
I know a lot about fitness, I played simi-pro football, love martial arts and play bball for fun on the reg. You don't have to believe it, but Calisthenics is not the same as lifting weights (which actually bulks you up). If he cut up his body it will get hard, simply because he losses the soft tissue...the most he'll gain (if any) is 5 pounds. That will not hurt his game and if it does than he isn't as good as we thought. He will get broken up if he continues to play this kamikaze style of ball. He's just acting to be placed on the IR.

I think he needs 5-10lbs maybe 15. He still needs to work on his legs. Less than a year ago he had never trained his legs. The work that he did in the lock-out the Warriors never saw which is why his impact for the Knicks surprised them and the Rockets. I'm just suggesting you review what Jeremy Lin did in California at the Menlo facility. The guy has only recently been turned onto the impact that professional level training can do. There is a reason the Miami Heat, Lakers, Celtics, etc do so well later in games and later in the seasons. They are also the best athletes besides some of the most talented.

My belief is that Jeremy Lin can be top 5 PG for the next 15 years if he takes off-season training to the next level. As good as Derrick Rose, CP3, Westbrook, Rondo, Irving. Lin hits the floor and gets smacked around more consistently than any G in the league that I've watched so far.

* But I also think that his resistance training or calisthenics whatever you want to emphasize is only a part of things he can work on in the off-season.
* As he is I think they can go to the Conference Finals. :)

Last edited:

btonedem

Rookie
Can't agree more.

Truth is as far as American culture goes, the term "Asian-American" only exists on papers. Being only the 2nd generation immigrant, IMO J. Lin has fallen into the genetic encoded Asian personality/stubbornness. I'm afraid even if he keeps up the current stat and performance, sooner or later he'll change from being MDA's savior to scapegoat.

Since he saved the season so far, saved D'antoni's job to date, plays his ass off, and gets no respect from his star players or the NBA, meaning he is getting hammered more and more each game, I suggest the following to him.

1 - Take charge of this team again, take the ball and do your thing. You decide who gets the ball. Prove to yourself and the league you are a real quality PG.

2 - Dare the coach to make you give it up to Melo, tell him you are the point guard. The Garden fans and NY media will back you up on this.

3 - If someone like J. Kidd hammers you, go right back at him on offense, show him he is not young anymore. Otherwise the league will drive you to the bench and back to the D league.

4 - Tell Stat & Melo you are getting double teamed, hammered, almost like there is a price on your head, if they don't have your back then their asses will not get the ball from you. Give it up to Jeffries who has your back.

5 - You will be a free agent, so make yourself as valuable as possible. That's how Stat, Melo, etc. players around the league got their money.

kinein

Benchwarmer
Don't make it harder than it is. Don't try to be fancy and remind yourself on every possession that you are NOT Derrick Rose. You are Jeremy Lin, Just out of D-league..

Your really trying hard to troll. Just make a : I hate Jeremy Lin thread and stay out of this one. Thanks!

For the record - He is Jeremy Lin. NBA STARTER. Accepted by Kobe Bryant, STEVE NASH, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Lebron James, CP3, DERRICK ROSE, The Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Rubio, CALDERON, and others. The end.

smug_obama_haters%20gonna%20hate.jpg

Last edited:

kinein

Benchwarmer
True Sound Of An Arena - Under The Grips Of Linsanity

Warning. This is incredibly loud - it captures how loud it got at the ACC arena.

This is my advice to Lin - Get back to being aggressive. Don't hesitate. Play your game the way you want to play your game. When you score more than 25pts. We have always won.

kinein

Benchwarmer
Lin is on a short leash. probably 1-2 games before he is benched for Davis with Woodson

How is this advice? or Relevant to advice for Lin? Did you just post on this thread to troll? :alert: How is this relevant to this discussion in any way?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Lin is on a short leash. probably 1-2 games before he is benched for Davis with Woodson

Baron Davis is washed up. Once he got his 65 million dollars in LA, he completely lost interest in playing basketball.

Davis cannot average 15 points and 6.4 assists on 45% shooting like Lin has averaged this season.