This Is Why We Need A New Coach.

Red

TYPE-A
This year and the playoff birth that came w it is just one stage in what we all knew was a multi-yr plan.

The only stated goal going in to this season, by both MDA and Donnie, was to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

That's it.

In my estimation there is 95- 99% MDA will be back next year if Donnie is resigned.

This team as it stands at this moment, is fundamentally flawed. The way we've competed inspite of the injuries and incomplete makeup of the team has been commendable IMO.

Let me list the things we have going against us currently:

1. The loss of Billups.. And we all know how important it is that we have a facilitator at the position. He's a scoring point guard, but he knows how to get a team into an offensive set. He's also able to help our spacing w his outside shooting, another thing we've missed dearly. As I've said before Billups injury killed our hopes at having any chance at beating the Celts, particularly in the last game where we didn't even look respectable.

2. We don't have Amare at 100%. I don't think this has anything to do w the minutes he's played over the course of the yr. Amare's averaged 37 min per game, which is not insane. Other stars around the league play comparable minutes. The injury also occurred in warmups when he tried to dunk the basketball, not in a game. It's a silly to say MDA is the cause. I think he managed Amare's minutes pretty well this season inspite of needing him to contribute significantly as he was our only star for more than half of the season.

Not having Amare available to play like Amare has put more pressure on guys like JJ and Turiaf to anchor the middle and they can't be asked do this w good effect for to long. How can anyone blame effort as the cause of the blowout on Fri when we were clearly overmatched along the front line? This is not MDA's fault. We're overmatched in the backcourt as well, which brings me to my next point.

3. Landry Fields... Where do I start w him?? His awkward, inept play has left a gaping chasm at the 2 so stupid-huge it's silly. This guy clearly is spent. He's never played a season like this before and he doesn't have his legs beneath him. He also hasn't figured out how to exist on the court w Melo. As a result, he's still not sure how to maximize the limited opportunities he now gets. I think the game-speed of the playoffs has effected him too. The game speeds up around this team of year. Good rookies can adjust to the speed of the regular season to a reasonable degree, but it becomes much more difficult to do this in the playoffs. This factor has exposed him IMO.

Unfortunately we don't have too many other options but to keep trotting him out there. I've been tempted towards wondering whether Mason would be a better option at this point, but I think MDA is reluctant to damage Field's confidence by benching him at the start of games, especially as it became clear to him that the team was fighting an uphill battle w out even factoring in the injuries to Billups and Amare. If we don't trade him, we'll need him believing in himself and trusting the coach next year when he'll likely be able to play effectively through the rigors of a long season w out the debilitating attrition we've seen.

4. Tony Douglas is not adequate as a backup facilitating PG. He has also been shown to be defenseless against both Rondo and Allen. They've both comprehensively destroyed the poor kid. He'll be better for it next yr, but I hope everyone sees clearly now that he simply isn't the answer at point in the future. No frigging way.

TD not being able to sustain us at his position made us look like D-league squad in game 3. Again how is MDA to blame for this?

Yes there have been some seeming errors. The pass to JJ in game 2.. People say Turiaf should have been in the game instead of him. Well to that I say Amare should have been available to carry us home along Melo. Also what guarantee do we have that Turiaf would have been able to finish w one of the best defensive bigs in the game closing on him. It's easy to blame MDA for the play drawn up and the personnel on the floor, but i'm not sure the options he had on the bench were that much better. We were outmatched and thus MUCH easier to stop. Think about how easy is it to double one star player and rotate your HOF big underneath the basket to defend the paint after Melo's pass smh. You say MDA was out- coached. I say he was outgunned. Amare would have finished that play as he has all season for us down the stretch. MDA didn't have this luxury.

There was one thing that I will say really bothered me w re: to MDA, and it also occurred in game 2. It was when Boston's guards were able to dribble the clock out behind the halfcourt line-- a clear error by our coach. Our guys should have been aware that Boston could do this.

This is really the only thing I can get on coach for.

Not having timeouts is important, but if you remember, we burned several in each of the games fighting for lose balls. I do think MDA should have atleast one 20 sec at the end of a game however.

Overall, I think this team has fought admirably in these games, especially in games 1 & 2. Let us also remember that the defense was really solid in both outings. In game 3 Boston basically figured out they were playing against a wounded team talent wise, a team also in a state of flux.

I'd like the team to continue under MDA, but as Musketeer has pointed out, historically his overall philosophy may not be conducive to winning a championship. I agree that he should make rm on his bench for a defensive minded assistant coach. He should also lengthen the rotation over the course of next season. Shortening it in the playoffs is fine but it really helps the defense when you can keep fresh guys coming in. This should be intuitive, especially on a team that likes to expend effort running..

Filling the holes this team has will also go a long way obviously aswell.

One more thought..

Can you guys imagine how we'd look if Melo and Amare had the whole season to develop chemistry as Wade and Lebron have?

Let's remember this team is one that has essentially played only 30 or so games together. To ask our guys to do more than we have thus far against a seasoned Boston squad w our injuries and lack of familiarity is asking alot, too much IMO. Team upheaval like we've seen should happen in the offseason, not mid-season. Realistically no one should've expected us to win more than one game in this series.

To simply blame MDA for where we're at w out rationally considering other factors that impinge on his options and flexibility during these games is downright silly. Some are using this opportunity based on said lack of options/flexibility to call for our coaches head and this IMO is not fair.

There's alot more to this thing than JUST D'ant guys. It's one thing to sort of carelessly gloss over these other factors. It's another thing to really understand and acknowledge how these issues affect our team and MDA's ability to coach effectively.

That said, in the playoffs and thruout the season, i think he's been a huge positive for us. He's shown he can really coach in a pinch, w massive change having gone on underneath him while dealing w the pressure of securing a playoff position-- no easy feat. This is something that bodes well for us as the team continues to change.

We're on the right track.

Though the losses to Boston hurt, but i'm not yet ready to say we need to go in another direction re: our coach.

You obviously DIDN'T read the op.

While you intimate I or anyone is "Blaming" D'Antoni for our experiences, you fail to acknowledge the assertion that he isn't what we need going forward.

That further investment in him bares too much risk. You have an answer and explanaton for everything, as I pointed out in the op.

Again, even SUCCESSFUL coaches get released and or fired at times. The decisions can all be argued and there is a rebuttle for every point you make.

We have injuries, that had nothing to do with late game decisions.

We had roster turnover, that had nothing to do with DNP'ing for the sole purpose of proving a point.

Going forward, the players NEEDED to be acquired, that make up for certain deficiencies are NOT available, stop dreaming.

Going forward the decisions that need to be made to take us to the next level cannot be relied upon to be made by Mike D'Antoni.

What are the odds of acquiring a Defender that will take the Knicks frm 28th to top 10 or top 15? Slim to none. And that's partially based on what D'Antoni has demonstrated and the players HE values throughout his career.

Get it? His entire career suggests the concept of performing his grand scheme of offense AND acquiring the proper two way players to excel at defense, given his pedigree and our cap situation is just a concept. In practice its not possible.

Nothing you can mention can counter that point. Using short sighted logic to "explain" "who's to blame for the Knicks woes" can never trump what has been proven over a nine year body of work.

Mike may be thought of as an offensive genius, but history has proven that such an approach limits the availability and
usage of defensive players needed to excel further.

To think that the impossible is possible (that being we acquire offensively gifted as well as defensively adept players which in turn are usually allstars) without having a coach that actually advances DEFENSIVE PROWESS (not offensive) which Mike has proven he doesnt't

is an excersize in futility. Its ignorant of the facts and the risks involved. Not your excuses as to why, but based on facts.

A coach and a leader have greater chance of changing the defensive culture and outcome over assuming Mike can do so after what we've witnessed. He's just not he right fit.

You guys continue to just blame Dantonio....

We did not have the same starting 5 for a season.
We blew up our team at the tradeline.
We have players :
Walker ( was DNP when on the Celtics )
Shawn Williams ( non-NBA player last year )
Roger Mason ( Spurs did not even want him as a 12th man )
Jared Jeffries ( released by the Rockets )
Anthony Carter ( averaged 13 minutes for the Nuggets )
Sheldon Williams ( under 8 minutes for the Nuggets )
Balkman ( DNP for the nuggets )
Turiaf ( hurt all the time on Warriors )

Now for the playoffs...
Billups OUT
Amare in Game 2 2nd half OUT/ Game 3 as good as OUT

Leaves Melo, Fields and douglas...

Both Douglas and Fields on another team would see so few minutes...

This is what we had to work with ..Give the coach some credit for making us competitive....but yes in the end the better experienced players will win...

Come on dont kid yourself.

See above.

While you're coming up with excuses and explanations, try and figure out why is there even a need to do so.

Going forward to expect a difference that has that much of an impact is ludicrous. He has never been above 15th in defense, and that was with Joe Johnson, Barbosa, The Matrix, Steve Nash, Amare, Diaw and more!

Do you really think we will any semblance of that roster? Do you think that 15th will get us over that hump? After all the player personnel issues we've had which I don't see you mentioning, do you really want to take that risk?

Are you aware of how you look??

Continuing to ignore important factors that impinge on MDA's ability to have a positive oncourt result against a team like Boston makes you look like blind hater.

Important factors that impinge on MDA's ability...

I know you are smart enough to see the error in this statement.

And to intimate that poor results were against Boston in this series only is very ignorant. If you want us to see you as objective, then please don't use selective memory, and consider the entire story.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll support whoever we bring in. Hopefully it won't be more "wait til' next year" fight songs.

skisloper

Starter
I am not saying I want Dantonio as our coach
BUT
what I am saying is based on what we had I do not think any coach in the NBA would have done any better,,,,

I understand your point . If Dantonio can hand pick his team for next year it would be very different then a team Rivers, Jackson or Popavich would pick....I get that,,,,,,,

I just think we did pretty good.....If Dantonio gets fired tomorrow I am ok with that.....If he stays for another year I am ok with that,,,,,,,,,

I do believe he will see his weaknesses and make adjustments....

I have alot of Faith in Walsh.

Red

TYPE-A
I am not saying I want Dantonio as our coach
BUT
what I am saying is based on what we had I do not think any coach in the NBA would have done any better,,,,

I understand your point . If Dantonio can hand pick his team for next year it would be very different then a team Rivers, Jackson or Popavich would pick....I get that,,,,,,,

I just think we did pretty good.....If Dantonio gets fired tomorrow I am ok with that.....If he stays for another year I am ok with that,,,,,,,,,

I do believe he will see his weaknesses and make adjustments....

I have alot of Faith in Walsh.

What another coach could have done is speculative. Based on what we've seen in 9 years...

Are you confident D'Antoni can bring us where we are trying to get?

Besides increased possessions how has Mda illutrated an ability increase a player's or team's defense? Or demonstrated an ability to value, use, and prospect true defensive players - let alone the ones who fit into his system ofensively are slim pickens.

How can you be confident that that much of a change will take place, combined with that much of an opportunity needed? Too risky to think so.

iJoe

Rotation player
and to think we gave up galo to keep fields

We needed a shooting guard more than another forward. Its tough, but Fields was hurt the most by Melo slowing the ball down.

I don't blame Dantoni for losing the series. First game should have been ours and that would have changed the tone of the next few games. Its true that just about any coach would have had trouble winning this series with all the injuries and bit players we had. Anytime you lose, all of your mistakes will be amplified and thats what happened. Everyone forgets all the coach's mistakes when the players bring on the victory.

However, there will need to be someone to blame and that will be Dantoni. He's already the media's whipping post and his style doesn't really suit our team anymore. Though one could argue that it should be Melo who changed for the team, not the team changing for Melo.

Either way, I won't be happy unless we get Adelman. He's the ONLY good available coach and a perfect system for our players.

Red

TYPE-A
:crossfingers:

But what that means for D?Antoni, who has one year left on his contract, is unclear after neither Carmelo Anthony nor Stoudemire gave him an endorsement following the loss.
Anthony was particularly lukewarm, and did not mention D?Antoni by name.
?It?s a long summer,? Anthony said when asked if he wanted D?Antoni back. ?As far as the players go on the team or coach situation, I?m pretty sure the front office will handle it to the best of their ability. They have one of the greatest front offices in the NBA, so they will do their job. I?ll let them handle that.?
Anthony went on to say that he, Stoudemire and Chauncey Billups will meet with owner James Dolan and Walsh about making the Knicks ?not just a playoff team but a championship-caliber team.? Anthony did not mention D?Antoni as part of the summit.
Since arriving, Anthony has talked periodically about his big adjustment to D?Antoni?s system and questioned the coach?s defensive scheme after a loss in Indiana. He is represented by the super agency CAA, which also handles Kentucky coach John Calipari and superstar point guard Chris Paul. The Knicks did not plan to make Walsh or D?Antoni available to the media today, when the team convenes for exit meeting, as is customary.
Asked about D?Antoni?s return, Stoudemire, who supported the coach all season, surprisingly evaded the issue, only saying he?s been ?great my whole career.? However, a source familiar with Stoudemire?s thinking said Stoudemire supports D?Antoni and would do any lobbying privately.

LOL.

Told you they had more cloute than D'Antoni.

:crossfingers:

LOL.

Told you they had more cloute than D'Antoni.
ny_g_amare02_576-1.jpg

Red

TYPE-A

More like...

Melo: (to Walsh & Dolan) Yo, we've got to be a championship-caliber team asap, and that takes leadership and defense. Feel me?

Amare: I agree, times-a-wastin'

Walsh & Dolan: So what's that mean for D'Antoni?

Melo: I said we want to be a championship team asap. Do the math.

Amare: I'm with whatever you guys decide.

Walsh & Dolan: Then its decided. Call Isaiah (just kidding)

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i obviously want defense...but we'll still need a lot of offense in our system...its hard to dodge that having amare and melo...2 guys pretty much solely known for their offense

jimkcchief88

All Star
Here is my problem with how D'ant coached during this series. And it not x and o's or philosophy. Its how after the officials stole game one from us, he said nothing about it, setting an ***raping of the Knicks by the zebras throughout the entire series. I know everyone is going to say " you can't leave it up to the officials" and I agree, but "C'mon Man!!!" My favorite in yesterday's game was the defensive 3 second call with only TWO seconds off the shot clock. Classic. The nail in the coffin was the offensive foul call(sound familiar game 1???) with 3:30 left in the game with the Knicks only down by 5. I'm not sure who drove the ball and shot made the layup, but not only was a offensive foul called the hoop was waived away as well. Celtics score on the ensuing possession and that my friends is at least a four if not five point swing thanks to the zebras. I remember Chauncey making the and one sign, then grabbing both sides of his head in disbelief.

After that robbing in game one, D'ant should have BLASTED the zebras in the post-game. Started something like:"I know I'm gonna get fined for this BUT....." Championship level coaches play the "game within the game." You think if Kobe was driving to the hoop for a game winner and picked up an offensive foul Phil isn't in the postgame conference crying foul himself??? Damn the fine, the zebras set the tone in game one that all the call were going to go Boston's way, and D'ant did nothing to stem the tide. NOTHING. Those Knicks fans here old enough to remember Pat Riley coaching the KNICKS/HEAT know what I'm talking about. Riles sent the goon squad to set off that fight against a superior KNICKS team and beat us in seven games because our whole team was suspended. Championship level coaches use everything at thier disposal to win including the rulebook.

I am not fully on the "fire D'ant" bandwagon because he only has one year left on his contract. I think he deserves one year with a built team to see he can do with it. Same results next year, just don't renew him. The asterisk on this is if Phil Jackson leaves the Lakers and wants to give his KNICKS a shot. Otherwise let D'ant finish his term and if he advances the team then we jump off that bridge when we get to it.

Marek

Benchwarmer
(forum newb here)

I love Mike D, but he's served his purpose already. Three years ago, Donnie Walsh knew he'd have to make a lot of moves, and the guys he had were damn near unmovable. He needed to pump up the value of these guys, and that's why he chose Mike D over Thibs or Marc Jackson or anyone else. Mike D's system pumps up numbers and makes individuals look better.

Now that NY has a solid foundation in Amare and Melo, along with a bunch of cap space (under the current CBA), there's no need to pump up value. There aren't any contracts left to pump up. It's FA time, and Amare & Melo are the attractions.

I loved what D'Antoni did in PHX, and appreciate him for the hell he put up with for the past 2 years in NY. It might not be fair because he never had a stable roster to coach. But I'm not really convinced that he can work with the core we have here.

Marek

Benchwarmer
I am not fully on the "fire D'ant" bandwagon because he only has one year left on his contract. I think he deserves one year with a built team to see he can do with it.

Totally agree. It makes no sense to do it now, considering that the season will probably be shortened. But next year will probably be his last, IMO

skisloper

Starter
The play was Shawn Williams driving on a fast break and Pierce stepping into the lane when Williams was airborne....Being at the garden we went from incredible jubuliation to immediate yelling and cursing. On the replay it looked horrible. At that point Dantonio should have went off on the REF even if meant giving up a point for the techical.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The play was Shawn Williams driving on a fast break and Pierce stepping into the lane when Williams was airborne....Being at the garden we went from incredible jubuliation to immediate yelling and cursing. On the replay it looked horrible. At that point Dantonio should have went off on the REF even if meant giving up a point for the techical.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. I was too pissed jumped around the house spitting fire to see who picked up the foul. Me, I would have gotten tossed during the bogus 3 second call. What do you have to lose at that point??? Your down by double-digits and in danger of being swept at home??? Herb could have finished coaching the game... gotta shake it up sometimes...

smokes

Huge Member
(forum newb here)

I love Mike D, but he's served his purpose already. Three years ago, Donnie Walsh knew he'd have to make a lot of moves, and the guys he had were damn near unmovable. He needed to pump up the value of these guys, and that's why he chose Mike D over Thibs or Marc Jackson or anyone else. Mike D's system pumps up numbers and makes individuals look better.

Now that NY has a solid foundation in Amare and Melo, along with a bunch of cap space (under the current CBA), there's no need to pump up value. There aren't any contracts left to pump up. It's FA time, and Amare & Melo are the attractions.

I loved what D'Antoni did in PHX, and appreciate him for the hell he put up with for the past 2 years in NY. It might not be fair because he never had a stable roster to coach. But I'm not really convinced that he can work with the core we have here.

Very thoughtful post from a first timer here, welcome.

I just think, if we're gonna get rid of MDA why wait until next season? Wouldn't it be better to bring in a new coach now so the coach, players etc all have more time to gel together? That's what I think.

Paul1355

All Star
i obviously want defense...but we'll still need a lot of offense in our system...its hard to dodge that having amare and melo...2 guys pretty much solely known for their offense

you win with defense, offense can be self explanatory, you adjust to a teams defense...apparently this team has a hard part of sticking to fundamentals which is playing defense, sticking to your man and not constantly switching, boxing out for rebounds and attacking the basket........

Amare and Melo can take over and as long as we have guys who can do the little things and hit open shots, we can win 50 games but we need a foundations of defense....NOT OFFENSE...which means Mike D gets the boot

Defense is what we should focus on, we have offense so thats not a problem...Stat and Melo will figure that part out. Good solid defense will open your offense up anyway...

The fast pace of D'ant's offense and shooting all those treys created long rebounds and we barely had the size to get the short ones. To run the Man to Man D our coach was using takes great stamina and teamwork...we lacked both, and not just because of gelling issues, exhaustion was clearly visible on the faces of the players. The "D" needs the upgrade...there was too much bad positioning, trap timings were off, doubles were weak, pick up awareness weaker. Get a new coach or get our current one to work with an assistant.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Why can't we do what I and others have proposed? Which would be to keep MDA for the offense and have Donnie make him take on an assistant who can organize the defense. This would satisfy everybody, no?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You obviously DIDN'T read the op.

While you intimate I or anyone is "Blaming" D'Antoni for our experiences, you fail to acknowledge the assertion that he isn't what we need going forward.

That further investment in him bares too much risk. You have an answer and explanaton for everything, as I pointed out in the op.

Again, even SUCCESSFUL coaches get released and or fired at times. The decisions can all be argued and there is a rebuttle for every point you make.

We have injuries, that had nothing to do with late game decisions.

We had roster turnover, that had nothing to do with DNP'ing for the sole purpose of proving a point.

Going forward, the players NEEDED to be acquired, that make up for certain deficiencies are NOT available, stop dreaming.

Going forward the decisions that need to be made to take us to the next level cannot be relied upon to be made by Mike D'Antoni.

What are the odds of acquiring a Defender that will take the Knicks frm 28th to top 10 or top 15? Slim to none. And that's partially based on what D'Antoni has demonstrated and the players HE values throughout his career.

Get it? His entire career suggests the concept of performing his grand scheme of offense AND acquiring the proper two way players to excel at defense, given his pedigree and our cap situation is just a concept. In practice its not possible.

Nothing you can mention can counter that point. Using short sighted logic to "explain" "who's to blame for the Knicks woes" can never trump what has been proven over a nine year body of work.

Mike may be thought of as an offensive genius, but history has proven that such an approach limits the availability and
usage of defensive players needed to excel further.

To think that the impossible is possible (that being we acquire offensively gifted as well as defensively adept players which in turn are usually allstars) without having a coach that actually advances DEFENSIVE PROWESS (not offensive) which Mike has proven he doesnt't

is an excersize in futility. Its ignorant of the facts and the risks involved. Not your excuses as to why, but based on facts.

A coach and a leader have greater chance of changing the defensive culture and outcome over assuming Mike can do so after what we've witnessed. He's just not he right fit.

See above.

While you're coming up with excuses and explanations, try and figure out why is there even a need to do so.

Going forward to expect a difference that has that much of an impact is ludicrous. He has never been above 15th in defense, and that was with Joe Johnson, Barbosa, The Matrix, Steve Nash, Amare, Diaw and more!

Do you really think we will any semblance of that roster? Do you think that 15th will get us over that hump? After all the player personnel issues we've had which I don't see you mentioning, do you really want to take that risk?

Important factors that impinge on MDA's ability...

I know you are smart enough to see the error in this statement.

And to intimate that poor results were against Boston in this series only is very ignorant. If you want us to see you as objective, then please don't use selective memory, and consider the entire story.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll support whoever we bring in. Hopefully it won't be more "wait til' next year" fight songs.

What's wrong w analyzing what's happening on court and weighting that more heavily than the seeming impact a coach has?

In my opinion, and this will always be the case, the players you have on your team and how they execute will allways be more impactful then the few ways a coach effects a game.

"But a coaches substitutions and end game management can make or break a team!!"

No shit

But when a coach, such as ours, has to constantly grab at straws because most of his options suck and he has no flexibility that makes things more difficult.

We've seen it. He tries Mason who stinks it up then has to come out. He then goes back to Fields who proceeds to stink it up. Or he goes to Carter for a stretch and gets nothing from him then has to go back to TD or try Melo at the point. How can you guys criticize his subs when the decisions are so fuked 6 different ways?? Better players who can execute make it easier on a coach.

It's like when Monty Williams says "Chris Paul erases alot of my mistakes"..

He gets it.

Most of these coaches in the NBA do too. The point being that the combo of players you have to go into battle w will make or break you; will make you look like you know what your doing, or make you look like a "second rate" coach..

You guys choose to look at a few in game decisions and overall coaching philosophy and blindly bandy about the farse that we can't win a title because of said percieved coaching flaws.

I choose to look at the myriad of other more relevant and plausible factors that impact a game, as well as the coach, ie things like the players you have, how they're playing/executing, overall chemistry, matchups etc.

I'm also of the mind that great players allow a coach to have more flexibility, thus covering up many flaws and mistakes they all inevitably make, as Coach Williams candidly admitted.

That's the difference between you and me. I can acknowledge the coach's flaws while shining a bright light on the other more pressing, pertinent variables in the game equation..

You simply call for the coaches head while glossing over the surface re: all of the things that affect him. <<<<And this is not a flawed statement as you tried to assert.

If a coach can be made to look better by a great player or a collection of really good players, as in the case w the Celts, then the opposite applies -- coach's flaws are magnified, margin for error becomes razor slim and the overall philosophy the coach has looks like it's broken or just unworkable. This is the reality for a team devoid of talent, hurt by injuries, or lacking chemistry whether you like it or not.

This is what MDA was impacted by and left having to make lemonade out of -- and guess what... we made into the playoffs anyway. We were limping and broken as team, but we competed hard. I feel a sense of pride as Knick fan because of that and MDA deserves some credit for it..

Look, I see the inconsistency on the defensive end and I've proposed solutions (a defensive minded assistant, utilizing the 10 man rotation) in numerous posts. You say, "fire this coach". So simplistic, such a panacea. I won't call you ignorant as you have, but are these not viable solutions to key problems we have as a team?? Would it not make more sense to make a few sensible adjustments rather than make a coaching change, when Amare and Melo came here to play w this coach.. when the team was constructed (w the exception of Billups) in order to execute MDA's system.

The major factors that you pay lip service to, but really gloss over are what's holding this team back. Coaches come secondary to these issues breh..

Doc Rivers is not a great coach.

Phil Jackson is not a great coach.

Red Aurbach is not a great coach.

Mike D'Antonio is not a great coach.

JVG is not a great coach.

Pat Riley is not a great Coach.

George Karl is not a great coach.

Scott Skiles is not a great coach.

Tom Thibadeau is not a great coach.

Monty Williams is not a great coach.

There are no great coaches IMO Red, only great players.

Every coach you consider to be better than his counterparts because of success in the playoffs had or has a decided advantage in the area of player personnel.

That's the difference..

Stop placing so much emphasis on what MDA does or doesn't do when so much of what makes or breaks him is dependant on factors outside of the tangible things he brings to a team..

Let MDA get Chris Paul, a legit once in a generation talent, and see how much better he looks. Right now he has a deficient, flawed team. And yes, when your best player, Ala Steve Nash, doesn't play defense and you have to play him because of what he brings on the offensive end.. your screwed. Another factor you choose to scratch the surface of understanding on.

Also, some of having a great team is a crap shoot w re: to getting great players; drafting a Pippen, or Duncan, or a Stockton, or a Paul - legit 2 way players that can contribute to great success for a coach and team overall. Sometimes you just have to be lucky.

We could use some luck..

MDA is fine for us as long as he shows he can correct the things he's been stubborn about in the past ~ see above. The rest, as w all coaches, can and will be mitigated by talent and the execution by said talent of the system on both ends.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
MDA didn't make himself look too good with his public dissing of Rajon Rondo in the press. What kind of head coach is as classless as to diss a player like Rondo during a playoff series when he's absolutely OWNING you on the court? Was this necessary?:

"I'd like to see him play in Minnesota and see how he does," D'Antoni said. "Everybody is tied together and they have three Hall-of-Famers out there. Rondo is a very good basketball player — really good. But if you look at their team and you have to say, 'What can we take away? What do we have to give them and play the odds?' You have to give him his shot and you have to try to close up the middle on him and that's kind of how we did it. We think that's the best way to go."

It wasn't the right way to go in this series. The fifth-year veteran dominated, averaging 18.8 points, 11 assists and five rebounds per game while controlling the action on a nightly basis.
Real genius strategy, it was obviously very effective... for the Celtics that is. It takes an extremely smug & arrogant person to have no problem dissing his colleagues publically in the media. His "I don't play bad rookies, only good rookies" comment referring to his own player Jordan Hill last year was just another example of what I'm talking about. MDA hates when he's questioned publically about his coaching decisions & philosophy but has no qualms about criticizing players & downgrading their talent. I honestly don't understand why some people have him in such high regard around here, he has done nothing as head coach of the Knicks in his tenure to deserve such loyalty or admiration IMHO. & I say this as a person who had high hopes for him when he was hired. But he has steadily lost all of my faith in his ability to coach this franchise to a championship someday & I have grown to have a large distaste for some of the decisions he makes & his passive aggressive tendencies.