Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Utah Jazz 7:30 11/15/2017 [Game #14]

THJ seals it. We win 106 - 101.

Our 2nd half defense won us this game. We gave up 60 points in the 1st half, but only allowed Utah to score 41 points in the 2nd half. Great win for us.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks avoid a bad loss after being behind most of the game. Horn went small at the end, this lineup might have won the Cavs game instead of going with Kanter at the end of the Cavs game.

Are we sure Ntilikina is only 6?5?? He looked like a foot taller than 6?3? Donovan Mitchell when they shook hands at the end of the game. Ntilikina is growing up before our eyes (stupid missed layup attempt after a great steal at the end of the game).

mafra

Legend
DM and FN talking after the game. Frank looks like he's 6 inches taller. Dang.

This team is funny, b/c it's almost like a homegrown team.

Ntikilina (2017)
KP (2015)
McDermott (2014)
THJr (2013)
KOQ (2012)
Kanter (2011)
Beasley (2008)

Not too shabby considering we had hardly any picks the last decade.

Think about this, after cruel
Reality gave us Danilo and Hill (so close to drafting Westbrook and Curry).... since that Hill pick in 2009 (Curry went before and DeRozan afterwards)....

From 2010 thru 2017.... eight drafts and NY had 4 first round picks! Guys like Gordon Hayward and Jamal Murray could've been Knicks if we had picks....

And considering our list of second rounders aren't impressive:

Rautins
Fields
Papanikolaou
Early (we passed on Jokic)
Antetokounmpo
Dotson
Jaramaz

Have to credit Perry, with that Melo trade, For almost equalizing 8 years of draft neglect by brining in "youngish" talent to recoup what was lost with all those traded picks.

Toss in a wHG and LT, and this makes up for not drafting a productive player in the second round.

Our roster now sort of resembles a real NBA roster.... and shows you how important it is to build and reload through the draft.

Knicks now are young and exciting and are 4-2 in close games.

KP and Ntikilina close another 1.

mafra

Legend
After a slow start, last 9 games,
Timmy averaging 20+ ppg, with about 5 rebounds and 4 assists.

KP is a 1st option; Timmy a 3rd. This team needs just 1 more piece (a legit second option or a 1b option).

Get that, develop Frank.... keep depth on bench and add vets.... we have something.

But.... we're still missing that big part if we want to win come April and May.

Broadway

All Star
Timmy with 27-6-6. He's beginning to look like he's sort of worth that 70 mil.

Lee looks like he hurt something.

lol THJR almost threw the game away with that scud missel he launched from the logo. He is probably the new Jamal Crawford without the sauce.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Dang another come from behind win Knicks showing some stones albeit against a pretty bad Utah team but hey they are all pros and road wins are always good

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks avoid a bad loss after being behind most of the game. Horn went small at the end, this lineup might have won the Cavs game instead of going with Kanter at the end of the Cavs game.

Jazz scored 19 pts in the 4th with a lineup of KP, CLee, THJ, Frank and Dougie defending the perimeter. If Horn used this lineup against the Cavs we might have stopped a couple of those 3s, I hope Horn goes with these small lineups when we play these perimeter shooting teams.

and1

Rotation player
i gotta say, i'm pretty impressed with the way timmy is sort of re-inventing himself. i believe this is the 2nd time already he's led the way in assists, AND he's playing much better defense than I thought we'd see from him. you can tell that he's taking this responsibility very serious and i like that. not to mention the fact that he hasn't tried to force the issue when he's had a not so good scoring night. i never doubted that he could help us in the scoring department, but i'm seeing him do other things this early in the season that i didn't think we'd see. that's got me pretty excited.
but guys, guys, don't be so quick to throw some dirt on frank. this is his rookie season, coming from france, and he's barely 19 years old LMAO. even if some of the other rookie PGs end up with much better results by the end of this season, we know we've seen enough to know this kid has potential to be something pretty damn good, AND he gives us defense as a PG. come on now, how long have we been crying about getting a PG that can actually DEFEND.

mafra

Legend
I don't want it to sound like I'm down on Ntikilina or that I don't believe in his future.

He's exceeded my expectations and I think his court vision and defensive tenacity are plus-plus skills.

One could argue that his ability to play defense and help set-up others matters more than being a pure scorer, which the others seem to be right now.

When DSJ is dunking or Monk raining 3s or DM doing a little of everything.... one can see those fingerprints more clearly than FN's. I love our rookie's talents and style of play... I just think it'll be a few years before he's a legit offensive force.

If Timmy can score like he's scoring.... then we won't need Frank to be a shooter anyway

Kiyaman

Legend
WTH! Great come back win although small-rotation leads to early injury .. some things to be concerned about we clearly need to work on .. too many mistakes from players n coach .. but still a good win!

Frank has been better than advertised .. the only thing Frank need to work on throughout his rookie season is his confidence. Frank does not seem like a natural scorer .. yet .. well he's 19, what the hell.
Franks growing better each game .. the fact that we never see him sitting in the 4th quarter speaks volume on our 8-6 record.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
WTH! Great come back win although small-rotation leads to early injury .. some things to be concerned about we clearly need to work on .. too many mistakes from players n coach .. but still a good win!

Frank has been better than advertised .. the only thing Frank need to work on throughout his rookie season is his confidence. Frank does not seem like a natural scorer .. yet .. well he's 19, what the hell.
Franks growing better each game .. the fact that we never see him sitting in the 4th quarter speaks volume on our 8-6 record.
He's being groomed the same way Tony Parker was at the age of 19. Frank is learning how to play under pressure and in key situations early in his career, which is a very smart coaching tactic by Horny. Once we become a perennial playoff team, he'll be ready to lead us deep into the playoffs by the experience he's getting now :thumbsup:

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
I don't want it to sound like I'm down on Ntikilina or that I don't believe in his future.

He's exceeded my expectations and I think his court vision and defensive tenacity are plus-plus skills.

One could argue that his ability to play defense and help set-up others matters more than being a pure scorer, which the others seem to be right now.

When DSJ is dunking or Monk raining 3s or DM doing a little of everything.... one can see those fingerprints more clearly than FN's. I love our rookie's talents and style of play... I just think it'll be a few years before he's a legit offensive force.

If Timmy can score like he's scoring.... then we won't need Frank to be a shooter anyway
I doubt frank will ever be a bonafide scorer, but I do see him averaging around 15 ppg. He's also gonna be a Kirilenko-type player where he'll fill up the stat sheet every night.

Even with all the mistakes he is making, Ntilikina conisistently is smothering the point of attack. We?ve gone from years of the opposing team?s PG waltzing into the paint and breaking down our defense to the other team?s PG not even being able to get the ball on a lot of plays.

If you look, Ntilikina often has one of the most positive plus/minuses on our team, even when he doesn?t do much on the offensive end. Ntilikina was +9 last night. Only Knick who was better was THJ who was +11.

tiger0330

Legend
Even with all the mistakes he is making, Ntilikina conisistently is smothering the point of attack. We’ve gone from years of the opposing team’s PG waltzing into the paint and breaking down our defense to the other team’s PG not even being able to get the ball on a lot of plays.

If you look, Ntilikina often has one of the most positive plus/minuses on our team, even when he doesn’t do much on the offensive end. Ntilikina was +9 last night. Only Knick who was better was THJ who was +11.
We're like 6 pts better when he's on the floor than when he's off. Time to give him more minutes than Jack.