Artest is never going to happen

stevie

Benchwarmer
Just heard an interview with Donnie Walsh on Stephen A Smith radio show. Smith asked about Artest and both men starting laughing and Donnie responded that would be a long discussion for another day. After Indiana that is never going to happen.

I did like what Walsh had to say he said, "I want professional who understand their jobs in the game of basketball."

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
And thats a damn shame! Isiah should have pulled that trade off when he had the chance I guess, because it seems Walsh is coming in here with feelings n shit. The fac of the matter is with Artest, the Pacers were the best team in Basketball, without Artest the Pacers are .. well what they are now.. Argue it all you want, but the truth is the truth

Starks

Starter
Artest wasn't going to save this franchise. It just be a band aid over massive wound.

Walsh's got bigger better plans. It all starts with changing the culture of the team, and look at the new Media Policy as proof.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
adding Artest would have been more than a band-aid... The two things this team lacks most is heart and defense ... two things that Artest will bring in abundance. PLus he can score, plus he could motivate the team around him.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
adding Artest would have been more than a band-aid... The two things this team lacks most is heart and defense ... two things that Artest will bring in abundance. PLus he can score, plus he could motivate the team around him.

It looks like im on your team this time. I think theres some players that need to go before you can judge anyone on the Knicks. If you put Artest on the current knicks team it would be unfair to make an opinion on how he or anyone on the team plays. Artest is capable of slowing down the best small forwards in the league. Whenever the knicks make the playoffs artest would be a valuable player to have being in the same conference as Lebron James and Paul pierce. Stop hatin on him because he made a couple of mistakes in the past, hes one of the best defenders and he can score.

Ron Artests defense>>>your favorite players defense

paris401

Starter
i like artest, but he is not the answer ...

the knicks are in the toliet for the next 1-2-3 years, so bringing in artest now does not solve the problem..

now if we can freeze-dry him for 2-3 years, then bring him in... i'm all for it...

knicklover

Benchwarmer
This is the best part about bringing Donnie Walsh to the Knicks.

Players will now not only be judged based on their athletic talent. They will be also judged based on their intelligence, dedication, work ethic, team first attitude, professionalism, etc....

We are doing to clean house of all the thugs, self centered pricks, trash, and emotional basket cases. Thank GOD!!!!!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

Players will now not only be judged based on their athletic talent. They will be also judged based on their intelligence, dedication, work ethic, team first attitude, professionalism, etc....

We are doing to clean house of all the thugs, self centered pricks, trash, and emotional basket cases. Thank GOD!!!!!

I have a feeling i know who your talkin about when you said "self centered pricks." Does it bother you that some knicks fans still want to see Artest in a Knicks uniform? Im not sure why your gettin so upset about this, what'd these players do to you?

Artest is gettin older now, he doesnt have the problems that he once had. And yes, hes a teamplayer/leader. Not too many players more passionate then Artest. I heard someone say on NBAtv last nite (not sure who, i was fallin asleep) that the pacers were arguably the best team in the east until the brawl with the pistons happened. I used to enjoy watchin those pacers, they played together as a team and their defense was great. Artest was the glue that held that team together. Maybe you dont think so but I think hes calmed down, and is ready to bring the right team to the next level.

I agree that artest wouldnt be the best player on this current knicks team, but if you surround artest with good character players he can help a team go far. He would come up huge in playoff matches against Lebron and Paul pierce. I would still make a trade for Artest, the problems are Curry, Z-Bo, and Crawford. I have no respect for you or anyone that says Marbury has to go. To me thats a move that could potentially add to our problems. It makes sense to let his contract expire instead of spendin more money to buy it out or tryin to trade him. To say Marbury needs to go is Isiah-like.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Yeah, exactly, Thank god! Maybe we will eventually have a team that we can be proud of and not ashamed of.

I have a feeling i know who your talkin about when you said "self centered pricks." Does it bother you that some knicks fans still want to see Artest in a Knicks uniform? Im not sure why your gettin so upset about this, what'd these players do to you?

Artest is gettin older now, he doesnt have the problems that he once had. And yes, hes a teamplayer/leader. Not too many players more passionate then Artest. I heard someone say on NBAtv last nite (not sure who, i was fallin asleep) that the pacers were arguably the best team in the east until the brawl with the pistons happened. I used to enjoy watchin those pacers, they played together as a team and their defense was great. Artest was the glue that held that team together. Maybe you dont think so but I think hes calmed down, and is ready to bring the right team to the next level.

I agree that artest wouldnt be the best player on this current knicks team, but if you surround artest with good character players he can help a team go far. He would come up huge in playoff matches against Lebron and Paul pierce. I would still make a trade for Artest, the problems are Curry, Z-Bo, and Crawford.

I agree with you about Artest. Ever since he had his child (I'm not sure but I think his child has a serious illness) he has become less of a basketcase. But, like the thread says, as long as Donnie Walsh is here, Artest is never going to be a Knick.

It makes sense to let his contract expire instead of spendin more money to buy it out or tryin to trade him. To say Marbury needs to go is Isiah-like.

Actually, negotiating a buyout would be cheaper for the Knicks. They wouldn't have to pay his entire salary.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree with you about Artest. Ever since he had his child (I'm not sure but I think his child has a serious illness) he has become less of a basketcase. But, like the thread says, as long as Donnie Walsh is here, Artest is never going to be a Knick.

Actually, negotiating a buyout would be cheaper for the Knicks. They wouldn't have to pay his entire salary.
In reguards to Artest being more mature unfortunatly once someone gets a reputation it sticks with them. I have to admit Artest said a couple of strange things but overall his behavior was probally the best it ever was this year. Haters like (fill in the blank) will always stereotype Artest as a thug.

In reguards to Marburys contract being bought out, if he only has one more year how would it save money? I thought it cost extra money to buy a player out.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
In reguards to Marburys contract being bought out, if he only has one more year how would it save money? I thought it cost extra money to buy a player out.

Because, if he is owed $20 mil next season, they can negotiate it down to something like $15 mil and then he can become a free agent. Management usually buys a player out for less than what he is owed and not pay more. That's the whole point of a buyout. The team saves money and the player can play for a team that he chooses. Like what Portland did with Steve Francis or what the Clippers did with Sam Cassel. It wouldn't make financial sense to give a player more money than he is owed just to have him play on another team.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Because, if he is owed $20 mil next season, they can negotiate it down to something like $15 mil and then he can become a free agent. Management usually buys a player out for less than what he is owed and not pay more. That's the whole point of a buyout. The team saves money and the player can play for a team that he chooses. Like what Portland did with Steve Francis or what the Clippers did with Sam Cassel. It wouldn't make financial sense to give a player more money than he is owed just to have him play on another team.

Parts of that make sense to me but from what you said it sounds like theres no guarentee that the player will agree to take less. To me the purpose of a buyout is to get rid of an injured/unhappy player. I thought the player is usually paid the remainder of their contract as opposed to less then what they were supposed to get paid.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Parts of that make sense to me but from what you said it sounds like theres no guarentee that the player will agree to take less. To me the purpose of a buyout is to get rid of an injured/unhappy player. I thought the player is usually paid the remainder of their contract as opposed to less then what they were supposed to get paid.

Sometimes they are paid the remainder. It depends on the negotiations and how much the player and management want to seperate. Sam Cassel was paid less than the remainder of his contract, Theo Ratliff was too. I'm not sure how much Portland paid to get rid of Francis (esentially paid to get rid of Z-Bo). But management will not pay more than what the player is owed.

You're right, the purpose is to get rid of a player that is unhappy or they don't want anymore. Which may be the case with Marbury. The relationship between Marbury and management may not be repairable. We don't know at this point, it's only speculation. But if that is the case, then it would make more financial sense to negotiate a buyout and let him play somewhere else instead of trading his contract for a longer one. Ofcoarse, that would depend on who we could get for Marbury.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Sometimes they are paid the remainder. It depends on the negotiations and how much the player and management want to seperate. Sam Cassel was paid less than the remainder of his contract, Theo Ratliff was too. I'm not sure how much Portland paid to get rid of Francis (esentially paid to get rid of Z-Bo). But management will not pay more than what the player is owed.

You're right, the purpose is to get rid of a player that is unhappy or they don't want anymore. Which may be the case with Marbury. The relationship between Marbury and management may not be repairable. We don't know at this point, it's only speculation. But if that is the case, then it would make more financial sense to negotiate a buyout and let him play somewhere else instead of trading his contract for a longer one. Ofcoarse, that would depend on who we could get for Marbury.

I understand it better now. I dont think Dolan has anything against Marbury, i actually think he likes Marbury. I remember marbury thanking dolan for paying to have the ban lifted, the ban that isiah put on marbury. I think isiah is the biggest factor in whether or not marbury returns. It sounds like isiah is staying which means marbury will be gone. I cant see them working things out.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I understand it better now. I dont think Dolan has anything against Marbury, i actually think he likes Marbury. I remember marbury thanking dolan for paying to have the ban lifted, the ban that isiah put on marbury. I think isiah is the biggest factor in whether or not marbury returns. It sounds like isiah is staying which means marbury will be gone. I cant see them working things out.

Again, speculation. We don't know if Dolan likes Marbury. There are also rumors that Dolan ordered Isiah to bench him. So, who knows? Only them. Personally, I think management (including Dolan) doesn't want him around anymore. There are rumors that Dolan was pissed at the way Marbury handled himself during the sexual harrassment trial.

I trust Donnie Walsh to find out what really happened with Marbury and then he will make a decision. It sounds like he plans on sitting down with Marbury and hearing his side of the story. I expect Donnie to be fair. He will probably sit down with all of the players and find out what's going on.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Talent wise, Artest would be a nice addition, but let's not forget that he's a bit of a head case. We've got enough odd personalities on this team. We need some even temperament players. I'd like to see some one like Elton Brand on the team. He's got a good attitude and leadership qualities. That's what we need. Artest is talented but he's far from a leader. If we can get a point guard and a few grunt players to help on defense, Zach's 20+ points and 10 boards along with Crawford's 20+ points will win us games.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Does it bother you that some knicks fans still want to see Artest in a Knicks uniform? Im not sure why your gettin so upset about this, what'd these players do to you?

IMHO, there is a reason the Spurs have won so many championships that goes beyond the talent and skills of the players.

It has to do with hard work, teamwork, being more interested in winning than individual stats or contracts, character, intelligence, decent chemistry between the players on and off the court etc.... PLUS TALENT.

I don't have any bad feelings towards people that want to see Artest or anyone else in a Knicks uniform. I just strongly disagree with them about how to put together a championship caliber team. In fact, I feel sorry for Artest in particular because I recently read that he's under the care of doctors for his emotional problems and taking medication (not sure how true it is). If true, his past behavior is not even really his fault. Perhaps the care is why he's behaving better. I would still prefer we bring in players without that kind of baggage or extra risk.

I'm not sure what Walsh is going to do with all our really bad contracts like ZBO, Jeffries, James etc... or Marbury in particular because his expires at the end of next year. I just hope he slowly improves our future and avoids doing stupid things that make us a little better next year but cripple our chances of winning it all 3-5 years from now.

We are at least 3 all star caliber players away from being serious contenders. In other words, we are a team of role players.

1. We have a chance to get one in the draft for next year.

2. As some bad contracts expire and get close to expiring we might be in a position to have enough cap space to make a trade or sign a franchise player in a couple of years.

3. Maybe we'll still be a lottery team next year, make a lucky trade (like LA did this year for Gasol), or get a late first rounder or second rounder that just happens to pan out.

4. Maybe Lee will develop a solid outside shot in the offseason or Chandler will blossom.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a 3-4 year project and it's going to involve getting rid of disruptive personalities and bringing in a lot of new talent.

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
IMHO, there is a reason the Spurs have won so many championships that goes beyond the talent and skills of the players.

It has to do with hard work, teamwork, being more interested in winning than individual stats or contracts, character, intelligence, decent chemsitry between the players on and off the court etc.... PLUS TALENT.

I don't have any bad feelings towards people that want to see Artest or anyone else in a Knicks uniform. I just strongly disagree with them about how to put together a championship caliber team. In fact, I feel sorry for Artest in particular because I recently read that he's under the care of doctors for his emotional problems. It's not his fault. Perhaps that's why he's behaving better. I would still prefer we bring in players without that kind of baggage or extra risk.

I'm not sure what Walsh is going to do with all our really bad contracts like ZBO, Jeffries, James etc... or Marbury in particular because his expires at the end of next year. I just hope he slowly improves our future and avoids doing stupid things that make us a little better next but cripple our chances of winning it all 3-5 years from now.

We are at least 3 all star caliber players away from being serious contenders. In other words, we are a team of role players.

1. We have a chance to get one in the draft for next year.

2. As some bad contracts expire and get close to expiring we might be in a position to have enough cap space to make a trade or sign a franchise player in a couple of years.

3. Maybe we'll still be a lottery team next year, make a lucky trade (like LA did this year for Gasol), or get a late first rounder or second rounder that just happens to pan out.

4. Maybe Lee will develop a solid outside shot in the offseason or Chandler will blossom.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a 3-4 year project and it's going to involve getting rid of disruptive personalities and bringing in a lot of new talent.

I agree with most of your post. It is going to take time to rebuild this team. I dont think it hurts to have a player or 2 with behavior problems, but anymore then that and your askin for trouble. The Pistons won the championship with Rasheed Wallace being a big part of the reason why. Bruce Bowen is a bad person. What do Rasheed and Bowen have in common? A strong desire to win, they're passionate players and so is Artest. I wouldnt go out of my way to get Artest especially at this point. If we were able to get him and remove a bad contract I would welcome him to NY. As i said in my previous post, i do not believe he wouldve made a big difference had we gotten him before the trade deadline. Its not his fault, i blame this isiah for the terrible construction of the team. In other words, Artest mite make a small difference but what needs to happen first is players like Curry, z-bo, and crawford all need to be traded for short term/expiring contracts. Like you said, the knicks have to rebuilt for real this time. It mite take 2 to 3 years but i want a team that can compete for a long time, not a team that will be good for a couple years.

pat

Starter
I have to admit that I am glad that Artest isn't going to play for New York. I never liked the idea in the first place. But even if you actually like the man and believe that he is a changed man (his daughter has kidney cancer and only one kidney) there is one thing you should take into consideration: Like this rather heated debate shows, Knicks-fans have fundamentally different opinions on Artest. He polarises opinions and that is really something this ball club has had enough of in the last few years.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I have to admit that I am glad that Artest isn't going to play for New York. I never liked the idea in the first place. But even if you actually like the man and believe that he is a changed man (his daughter has kidney cancer and only one kidney) there is one thing you should take into consideration: Like this rather heated debate shows, Knicks-fans have fundamentally different opinions on Artest. He polarises opinions and that is really something this ball club has had enough of in the last few years.

Thats wrong to downplay the seriousness of artests daughters kidney cancer by sayin only one kidney. Every player has there haters so no matter what theres goin to be different opinions. Do you remember the kobe bryant talk from before the season? There was some of us who didnt want him. Including myself i have seen a couple people on here criticize dwayne wade.