Don't like the way the Knicks are playing

shaolin

Benchwarmer
They play good in relatively short spurts and they typically take care of the ball, but they are far from a championship contender. Waaay too much iso and standing around. Did JR Smith even have one open look the entire game, but he jacked up 16 shots? That last three he hit is something I barely call an open look, it was a great close out. Novak hasn't seen more than a few good looks every now and then. They barely play pick and rolls and I did not see Melo go through one screen (didn't see the entire game) to get an open look from mid-range or rolling to the basket. There are barely any plays called for Stat - looks like his post game is legit, and looks more agile from a traditional low post position with his back to the basket. How many pick and rolls start with Stat? I think Melo can play decoy at times and set screen for others. Flat out, dude needs to create for others. I know he is a hell of a shooter, but enough of these off-balance threes.

bottom line is this: the Knicks are not playing that well and must get their act together. Sure, when Felton returns to the lineup, it'll be a different story, but why does the entire chemistry have to change cause we are missing our starting pg. The NJ Nets (yes, I said NJ) and Heat will give the Knicks fits. I'd be more comfortable if we had a better backup pg that calls the shots and looks for others rather than go to Melo 90% of the time.

smokes

Huge Member
They play good in relatively short spurts and they typically take care of the ball, but they are far from a championship contender. Waaay too much iso and standing around. Did JR Smith even have one open look the entire game, but he jacked up 16 shots? That last three he hit is something I barely call an open look, it was a great close out. Novak hasn't seen more than a few good looks every now and then. They barely play pick and rolls and I did not see Melo go through one screen (didn't see the entire game) to get an open look from mid-range or rolling to the basket. There are barely any plays called for Stat - looks like his post game is legit, and looks more agile from a traditional low post position with his back to the basket. How many pick and rolls start with Stat? I think Melo can play decoy at times and set screen for others. Flat out, dude needs to create for others. I know he is a hell of a shooter, but enough of these off-balance threes.

bottom line is this: the Knicks are not playing that well and must get their act together. Sure, when Felton returns to the lineup, it'll be a different story, but why does the entire chemistry have to change cause we are missing our starting pg. The NJ Nets (yes, I said NJ) and Heat will give the Knicks fits. I'd be more comfortable if we had a better backup pg that calls the shots and looks for others rather than go to Melo 90% of the time.

It just does. Surely you know this if you've watched the Knicks for the last few years? Billups goes down, Knicks suck. Lin goes down, Knicks suck. Felton goes down, Knicks suck.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
It just does. Surely you know this if you've watched the Knicks for the last few years? Billups goes down, Knicks suck. Lin goes down, Knicks suck. Felton goes down, Knicks suck.

it just means Felton is our best creator, and when he is in, other players tend to move more and look for open spots to give Felton passing lanes. There needs to be more creators. I think Melo would be more dangerous as a 24 ppg 6.5 rpg 5.5 apg player than try to drop 30 per night. Will there be a game that Melo shoots less than 20 shots?

Most important point is that, if Melo looks to pass on 20% of the time, players will be more likely to move and screen each other and roll to the basket and crash the boards, etc.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

smokes

Huge Member
I agree but not sure Melo really has the capability to be that kind of player. We have next to no penetration with this team, Kidd can't do a great deal on the pick and roll, so we're just stagnant a lot of the time.

Just have to hope Felton stays healthy the rest of the way.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I agree but not sure Melo really has the capability to be that kind of player. We have next to no penetration with this team, Kidd can't do a great deal on the pick and roll, so we're just stagnant a lot of the time.

Just have to hope Felton stays healthy the rest of the way.

I think he can. Even average about 4 to 4.5 apg is a start. he has such a scorers mentality. I do think he is a very underrated passer, and if you put him in position to pass, he will surprise most of us. The Knicks could be that team to make it far and be a bigger threat.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
I think he can. Even average about 4 to 4.5 apg is a start. he has such a scorers mentality. I do think he is a very underrated passer, and if you put him in position to pass, he will surprise most of us. The Knicks could be that team to make it far and be a bigger threat.

We have seen Melo make great passes but as said above, scorers mentality. Him and JR are both selfish players. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Melo, and he has one of the best postups. ISO plays happen way too much for the Knicks. PnR needs to happen more...we have one of the best center finishers in the league (Chandler) and we rely on taking contested 3's...that's a no-no...

metrocard

Legend
Ball movement is very sluggish.

If you guys look at the first 12 games of the season, ball movement was a lot quicker with everyone, not just Felton and Rasheed (who are missed greatly)

Ball moves slow...more iso ball and low percentage shots.

We should of blown out the Celtics.

bigapple

Starter
we r Pgless right now lets see what Felton will bring @ 76ers

anyway MELO cant play alone whole time all time on and on

he is simply alone

this team simply CANT BE DEPENDENT from MELO.

deamon

Benchwarmer
Dirk played alone and Mavs won title, Melo has to step up to Dirk level, I mean god clutch level.

Kiyaman

Legend
we r Pgless right now lets see what Felton will bring @ 76ers

anyway MELO cant play alone whole time all time on and on

he is simply alone

this team simply CANT BE DEPENDENT from MELO.

We are not PG-less, we have to much ISO-MELO .. and how Kenny Smith put it, "JR.smith has always been a Bad shot-taker & Bad shot-maker"

u want to see the Knicks play Team-Ball for 48 minutes then suspend Melo for 4 to 6 weeks (the Denver Nuggets been playing team-ball since the departure of Melo). The departure of Melo gave us the "LinSanity era" where the Knicks played team-ball and the MSG crowed couldnt stop yelling "LinSanity".

Raymond Felton has been suspended for 4 to 6 weeks for trying to out-shoot Melo's ex-teammate JR.smith to be the Knicks 2nd option on offense in 28 games, both Felton & JR average 34 minutes, took 16 fga, and 5 3-ball attempts per game however, both their shooting percentage are the same and considered to be 4th & 5th options on any NBA team. They both average 40% FG, and 33% from 3-ball line .. Felton being a decent PG handing out 6 dimes per were not suppose to be the one suspended for 4 to 6 weeks .. the bad-shot-taker & bad-shot-maker shouldve took time off.

What Felton will return?

Kiyaman

Legend
We have seen Melo make great passes but as said above, scorers mentality. Him and JR are both selfish players. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Melo, and he has one of the best postups. ISO plays happen way too much for the Knicks. PnR needs to happen more...we have one of the best center finishers in the league (Chandler) and we rely on taking contested 3's...that's a no-no...

Good Point .... KG are the Celtics starting center & PF, and the backup center & PF .... the first game vs Boston we had Camby/Tyson/Stat/Melo/and Copeland to spot up down-low to get KG in foul trouble within 3 minutes on the court .. we scored 28 points in the paint compare to Boston 40 points in the paint.
The 2nd game vs Boston they scored 50 points in the paint on us, we scored 32 points in the paint.

Evaluation factor of both games show KG is better bigman on both ends of the court than all our bigmen put together .... Now u got an example of how Camby/Nene/and Kenyon Martin felt playing 48 minutes of ISO-Melo on the Denver Nuggets...

metrocard

Legend
Dirk played alone and Mavs won title, Melo has to step up to Dirk level, I mean god clutch level.

Well, Mavs had a good defense to back up Dirk and Terry, Barea, Marion, Peja and Chandler.

Carmelo can certainly did what Dirk did in the Finals, we just need to be more poise on offense and more aggressive on defense to actually win the games.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, Mavs had a good defense to back up Dirk and Terry, Barea, Marion, Peja and Chandler.

Carmelo can certainly did what Dirk did in the Finals, we just need to be more poise on offense and more aggressive on defense to actually win the games.

The offense never went through Dirk, the offense found Dirk on the 3rd to 4th pass .. Ball-movement from Kidd to Matrix to Terry to Kidd to .. scorer.
This type of ball-movement made Barea a great backup PG.

Our offense go straight to Melo at the midcourt line, our 2nd option is Bad-shot-taker & Bad-shot-maker JR.smith

tiger0330

Legend
This year is not like past years. We have Prigs and Kidd who should be able to step in for Felton and facilitate but the ball movement is definitely not the same maybe because we started off the season with red hot shooting and you could pass it off to an open Brewer or Sheed. Now Sheed and Felton are out and Brewer came back to earth you have 3 less options to swing it to.

With Stat and Shump back and Felton due to return I don't think we've seen the best of Knicks bball yet this season. Camby and Sheed will only be a bonus when they get back.

Red

TYPE-A
This year is not like past years. We have Prigs and Kidd who should be able to step in for Felton and facilitate but the ball movement is definitely not the same maybe because we started off the season with red hot shooting and you could pass it off to an open Brewer or Sheed. Now Sheed and Felton are out and Brewer came back to earth you have 3 less options to swing it to.

With Stat and Shump back and Felton due to return I don't think we've seen the best of Knicks bball yet this season. Camby and Sheed will only be a bonus when they get back.

Kidd and Prigs?

According to the depth chart Kidd and Prigs were BELOW Felton at the point.

According to our record sans Felton we were 6-6.

How can one expect two players lower on the depth chart to "facilitate" at the same rate as those above them? Hello?!

Red-ism...

"There is a reason why players are LOWER on the depth chart."

Easy as A-B-C, 1-2-3, P-I-E.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
The offense never went through Dirk, the offense found Dirk on the 3rd to 4th pass .. Ball-movement from Kidd to Matrix to Terry to Kidd to .. scorer.
This type of ball-movement made Barea a great backup PG.

Our offense go straight to Melo at the midcourt line, our 2nd option is Bad-shot-taker & Bad-shot-maker JR.smith

Early, that happened, but it was more to save Dirk, use Dirk in the 3rd and 4th. There were nights where Dirk would have 3-4 points in the first half, but finish with 30. The thing with Melo is that he's scoring early, working early to hoist shots. There was major ball movement from the Mavs early on in games, the shooter was the open guy, regardless if it was Dirk, Tyson, Deshawn, J, or Marion. But in crunch time, EVERY single possession started with Dirk and ended with Dirk, if Dirk felt comfortable with his triple threat position early, he'll hold onto it, run the clock or go at it immediately. A lot of times J would get Dirk the ball almost immediately in crunch time, if Dirk wasn't comfortable, he'd kick it back for a reset to Kidd and they work it again. Dirk was also unselfish in crunch time as well, if he saw a double, he'd try to find Jet on the stripe.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Kidd and Prigs?

How can one expect two players lower on the depth chart to "facilitate" at the same rate as those above them? Hello?!

Red-ism...

While I agree with your assessment to an extent, Prig and Kidd are pgs. They don't have to be the best creators - basically creating scoring opportunities out of thin air, the should jump start the offense. That can mean yelling out a play, calling out for a pick, setting screens (reminiscing how Stockton set some of the best screens for Malone) ... You get the point.

I played college basketball and we set flair screens, back screens, screened the screener. The Knicks did all of that the first two weeks and Melo had all these clean looks. Sure, use his one-on-one, but mix it, be less predictable.

And we should use Stat a lot more. And use JR a lot less. The Knicks were lucky to win last night.

tiger0330

Legend
Kidd and Prigs?

Red-ism...

Red - You're talking about JKidd destined for the HOF not Toney Douglas or Duhon, though Duhon could run a team. And while I have said Prigs is not as good as JLin, he's a willing upper echelon passer.