Pelicans want to sign Chris Copeland

metrocard

Legend
http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/25/chris-copeland-pelicans-knicks-nba-free-agency/

Copeland is foul prone and has trouble moving laterally on defense, which can be worked on. But what makes Copeland special is his offense.

He had a tremendous debut to the NBA. For Copeland's first season, he averaged over 20 ppg per 36 minutes. He shot 48% and 42% from 3pt land. He can drive, slash and cut to the basket. His shooting improved every month. He can only get better each season since he's getting familiar with the NBA style and gaining more confidence in his game every month. He'll be a better scoring coming into the 13-14 season.

Who ever will get Copeland should be very happy. I hope we keep him. He's a great character and teammate. He always tries his best on the floor and gives you what he can...you can't be mad at that, especially since this guy went undrafted.

I like Copeland more than JR Smith because Copeland has excellent shot selection. Copeland just needs to work on his defense and passing. He was a great insurance back up when Melo was hurt. He'll keep the Pelicans in many ways since they need scoring.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
J.R. to Phoenix would be a huge loss, Copeland was expected to get offers but if we lose J.R. then we should be able to match for Copeland... If Prigioni gets offers, I would say walk away... But a good thing we might be able to S&T J.R. to Suns to acquire some talent back from them... Is there anybody worth getting from Phoenix???

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
everything is speculation right now but if the Pelicans offer Copeland a contract like Novak we won't be able to match... Probably what they are looking to do... 4 yr $16 M would exceed anything we can offer under the new CBA...

its a shame really but nothing we can do about it...

Other teams are said also to be interested in Copeland...

Kiyaman

Legend
everything is speculation right now but if the Pelicans offer Copeland a contract like Novak we won't be able to match... Probably what they are looking to do... 4 yr $16 M would exceed anything we can offer under the new CBA...

There are a few more teams interested in signing 6.9 SF-Chris Copeland .. the N.O. Pelicans went public with their interest in FA-Copeland, because they only have 6 players under contract LOL ($37M cap). Plus they have the 6th pick in the 2013 draft with the option of selecting one of the 4 top guards in the draft (combo-Burke or PG-McCollum) .. to put with their core of 2012 1st pick C/F-Anthony Davis (back-up C/F-Rubin Lopez) and veteran combo-guard Eric Gordon.

Coach Woody giving JR.smith the GREENLIGHT-special for 80 games had a lot to do with JR throwing his player-option in the garbage .... Grunwald should still look for the earliest date to throw JR on the trading-block (my opinion), Im sure their wont be any teams interested.

Kiyaman

Legend

This is a RED-FLAG to our organization showing Copeland told his agent he want out of the Knicks ISO-offense .. its mid June, and we are talkin about the Pelicans putting in a claim for an RFA...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Since this is only his second year, I do not know whether we could pay Copeland the "veteran's minimum." But, in any event, the veteran's minimum is less than $2M. All we have otherwise is the MLE which is a little over $3M. I expect Copeland will get offers in excess of the MLE. And if we were to use all or most of our MLE, we will have nothing left for Prigioni or anyone else. We will be limited to acquisitions at the veteran's minimum or other minimums. We can pay JR something like $5M a year for 4 years. I do not expect other teams to do better than that, but you never know. If we lose JR, it does not affect our cap space. We are already over the limit. We can give him up to $5M a year, but we cannot give anyone else that amount. We are extremely limited in what we can do for at least two more years.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
There are a few more teams interested in signing 6.9 SF-Chris Copeland ..

Coach Woody giving JR.smith the GREENLIGHT-special for 80 games had a lot to do with JR throwing his player-option in the garbage .... Grunwald should still look for the earliest date to throw JR on the trading-block (my opinion), Im sure their wont be any teams interested.

I know there are more than just the Pelicans looking to acquire Copeland...

On J.R. throwing his player option in the garbage has nothing to do with Woody's coaching scheme with J.R. ...
J.R. is hurting for $$$ and was always going to opt out unless his stock faltered... Just b/c he was the 6th man, he is now being portrayed with a chance that deserves a starting role opportunity... With that starting role and compared to what the Knicks can offer him as a Bird Rights (2 yr) $5 M next season with a total salary for 4 years of $24 M... Another team could offer him straight out $8 M this year, and a 4 years at $30 M, for someone who lives pay check to pay check this is something he can not pass up...

Question on J.R. - b/c J.R. is his Bird Rights (2 yr) can the Knicks S&T him to receive talent in return???

If the answer is "Yes" then all is not lost this off season, but if the answer is "No" then the Knicks are truly screwed in adding talent to improve the roster... Adding Veterans at Vet Min. is not out of the question but like Kidd and most of the Vets. last season - come playoff time they were nonexistent...

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
This is a RED-FLAG to our organization showing Copeland told his agent he want out of the Knicks ISO-offense .. its mid June, and we are talkin about the Pelicans putting in a claim for an RFA...

BTW, Chris did make a statement that he wanted to return to the Knicks... Now there are other reports stating otherwise, I dunno about that... He made a name for himself in the one season with that ISO-offense, is why he is being slated to getting paid...

This isn't bad news about our organization, but more so about how successful we truly were... not only find diamond in the roughs and having them be an intricate part of our success... a team that has cap space that success has not been afforded to their organization for some time will always try to strip talent away from a successful organization...

Copeland was successful, and his success earned him a chance to get paid... nothing bad there... The Pelicans might be a little awkward but they have two/three big name players and are expected to be successful in the near future... For them to poach, or openly admit they are looking to poach one of our key players is not as big as you are trying to make it...

Will Copeland end up in New Orleans who knows, if he is gone from the Knicks then who cares... Can we find someone to replace him, most definitely... We found him, think we can find another able body that will after next year we should be in the position to re-sign him...

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Since this is only his second year, I do not know whether we could pay Copeland the "veteran's minimum." But, in any event, the veteran's minimum is less than $2M. All we have otherwise is the MLE which is a little over $3M. I expect Copeland will get offers in excess of the MLE. And if we were to use all or most of our MLE, we will have nothing left for Prigioni or anyone else. We will be limited to acquisitions at the veteran's minimum or other minimums. We can pay JR something like $5M a year for 4 years. I do not expect other teams to do better than that, but you never know. If we lose JR, it does not affect our cap space. We are already over the limit. We can give him up to $5M a year, but we cannot give anyone else that amount. We are extremely limited in what we can do for at least two more years.

Yes at max we can only pay Copeland $3.1 M which is our MLE... Any team that will present an offer to Copeland should be Novak type money 4 years $16 M, could it be a bidding war possibly which basically takes the Knicks out of the running from the get go...

Again on J.R. it all depends b/c of his Bird Rights (2 yrs) can the Knicks S&T to acquire talent back... If No then we are in trouble, If Yes we could make other moves to acquire players that can improve our core group... Suns are probably going to offer around $7 - $8 M per - how many years would that be who knows... Is he worth it, again that is an iffy question just about how is game is iffy...

knicksince 93

Rotation player

Haha cope Said that to his agent? Were u there? Kiyas so dumb. U have the mind of a 12 year old. Its so sad.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

bigapple

Starter
if Cope will leave this team have no one other as reserve

what about K-mart?

Thomas?

Camby?

what bout N8 robinson will be move to FA?

i got strong hope that Pablo will stay but he could be as starting PG after Kidds departure.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
if Cope will leave this team have no one other as reserve

what about K-mart?

Thomas?

Camby?

what bout N8 robinson will be move to FA?

i got strong hope that Pablo will stay but he could be as starting PG after Kidds departure.

Just like Copeland, K-Mart said he wants to return...

Think Copeland is gone with the right offer...

K-Mart should come back unless some other team gives him a contract he can not turn down...

Camby said he will be back, still under contract but management must consider if they should trade him...

N8 will be way out of our price range...

Prigioni like Copeland showed they can ball, he might get an offer where as the Knicks probably could match, but will they is the question???

metrocard

Legend
Prigioni will be a restricted FA so I see him coming back to NY, as well as Martin and Camby.

I believe Copeland should stay. Outside of Melo, he was our 2nd most efficient scorer off the perimeter.

1. Anthony
2. Stoudemire
3. Chandler
4. Shumpert
5. Felton
6. Prigioni
7. Camby
8. Martin
9. Novak

Guys I'd expect to see on the roster.

#24 pick so you can make that 10 guys.

2 spots left with question marks on the 12 man roster and 3 on the IR

I rather spend whatever cash we got on a different free agent that isn't JR Smith

Guys like Splitter, Kirilenko, Allen come to mind.

Defense minded guys.

We're going rely on Amare on being the #2 scoring option. He hasn't adjusted yet, so this is really just hoping he mixes in well with Melo. Maybe Woodson will come to his senses move Melo back to the 3, Shumpert to 2, bench Felton and let Amare get touches at PF. Amare will get more touches from Prigioni than Felton.

Thing with Amare is that he can score 20 ppg on 53-55% FG shooting. It's his lack of rebounding and defense we sacrifice as a team to get him playing time to average those numbers. Amare in a way will always play like a NBA rookie, even at age 30 turning 31 in November.

Kiyaman

Legend
Haha cope Said that to his agent? Were u there? U have the mind of a 12 year old. Its so sad.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

The Looney Toon Gangster speaks (knicksince 93) .... nothing about NBA B.Ball
You are the most ???
Your Mama is ???
Your Daddy isnt ???
Your sister is doin ???
Your brother likes ???

Chris Copeland is the only (restricted) free-agent teams are mentioning going after in early June ..
No teams are mentioning going after Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Hansborogh, or UFA Blatche ..
I wonder why?