New York Knicks @ Detroit Pistons 01.07 7:30PM

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Absolutely loved getting a laugher, we're back to .500, we got a nice revenge game coming Monday that we now have some improved play and confidence heading into where we should get to 5-4, then a big division game coming up against Philly to test us against a playoff team. Loved getting garbage time for guys, nice to get some people even garbage minute experience and rest others that play big minutes. Stoudemire looked very aggressive as did Chandler, Shumpert definitely looks like the real deal, Bibby again very solid and hit shots, Harrellson very solid off bench, Carmelo successful without scoring a huge amount (I mention because we need to be able to win without needing 30 out of Carmelo all the time), looked good on both ends. I realize some was good offense and defense, some was Detroit not being great, but we are looking improved, and seeing them have fun together helps the team too. Still not a big Dantoni fan so I hate to admit it's helping him out of the fire, but ultimately I want us to win, so I'm glad to see improvements, and hopefully a mini win streak helps us build confidence ahead of some tougher games to come.

mafra

Legend
I say we move Shump to the 2 and Let Baron take the point. I dunno though, I like Shump at point.

Either way, the good news is that come playoff time (we hope) the starting 5 might look pretty fearsome:

Davis
Shumpert
Carmelo
Stoudemire
Chandler

Fields-Walker-Douglas off the bench leaves something to be desired, but each potentially could fill-out nicely. After all, the have value as bench players (not starters).

Douglas could be a scoring spark off the bench. If he's hot, then all is good. If not, back to the bench. Let's hope he gets his act together where he can be that option.

Fields still has time to get things back together. he just needs his confidence back, and to figure out where to fit in with Carmelo-Chandler-Shumpert & whatnot. Hit some 3s & rebound.

Walker is what he is, and he can bring energy & seems to be more consitent than the other 2 bench guards. Hit some 3s and play some defense.

All in all, in the playoffs... We would only need (prob. require) that only 1 of these 3 be "on" any given night. That "hot" player would be the 6th man the aforementioned starting 5 would need, to help compliment them.

ASIDE FROM THAT, It's beginning to look like the joke is really on us: Josh Harrellson is a good NBA bench player. He's big & strong, he works hard, has decent hands & can hit shots. He's a legit role (rotation) player.

We have the starting 5 come playoffs, we have 3 bench guards to roll through early in games to see what 1 will give us something in the 2nd half of games... And we have a BIG to add to that.

That gives us 7 players in the D'ant rotation.

Toss in Jared Jeffries when he returns. And/or Balkman. Another hustle guy to play some defense & rebound.

I also believe we'll add a Kenyon Martin type BIG come March (or trade for a guy).

Then there's Bibby, who'll be the backup PG.

So, to recap: The best case scenario in the playoffs for D'ant:

Davis-Shump-Melo-STAT-TC start and finish games. We hope no foul trouble.

Then we have Bibby to run out to spell Davis, and hit some 3s. We have a few options to search for a spark plug off the bench at SG.

Josh will bang around, along with JJ & a player to be named later.

D'ant will have 8-9 players to roll around out there & look for something. We have enough role players this year, that Melo-STAT should be able to get along fine.

There should be a deep run this year. Win 1st round, and at least get to a game 6 or 7 in the 2nd round, if not East Conf Finals.

If baron Davis catches fire, we should expect nothing less!

unloopme

Benchwarmer
Absolutely loved getting a laugher, we're back to .500, we got a nice revenge game coming Monday that we now have some improved play and confidence heading into where we should get to 5-4, then a big division game coming up against Philly to test us against a playoff team. Loved getting garbage time for guys, nice to get some people even garbage minute experience and rest others that play big minutes. Stoudemire looked very aggressive as did Chandler, Shumpert definitely looks like the real deal, Bibby again very solid and hit shots, Harrellson very solid off bench, Carmelo successful without scoring a huge amount (I mention because we need to be able to win without needing 30 out of Carmelo all the time), looked good on both ends. I realize some was good offense and defense, some was Detroit not being great, but we are looking improved, and seeing them have fun together helps the team too. Still not a big Dantoni fan so I hate to admit it's helping him out of the fire, but ultimately I want us to win, so I'm glad to see improvements, and hopefully a mini win streak helps us build confidence ahead of some tougher games to come.
Damn brother. If your gonna' post everything I'm thinking, I'm might as well logout!
Spot on post :thumbsup:

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
*Awaits extend Mike Dantoni thread*

Word, we should give him a 5 year extension ASAP, all that work over the offseason with Shumpert and Harrelson really made them legit, oh crap wait he wasn't able to work with them, so they just did their own work, so we shouldn't extend... ahh Fire Dantoni!!! :teeth:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I want to see Jerome Jordan get more minutes. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to be giving Tyson Chandler so much playing time...we all know his injury history, plus with the shortened season...

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Yeah I agree, especially games we are doing ok in, I'd like to find Jordan a solid 8 minutes, helps him develop and gets TC a little rest. Don't expect 15-20 or anything but he's shown a bit in preseason and limited time, and there are games where size is more useful too (prob Charlotte...) that he could be used. In a tight game against a team with quick athletic bigs like maybe a LA Clippers I could see him getting splinters, but there are plenty of games he should get at least 5 minutes and that doesn't mean him getting 5 minutes in garbage time tonight

KingofNy

Starter
Either way, the good news is that come playoff time (we hope) the starting 5 might look pretty fearsome:
Davis
Shumpert
Carmelo
Stoudemire
Chandler

Heck yea man! Another thing is you can tell that D'Antoni was coaching for his job tonight. We actually ran plays on O and D. We had tons of off-ball movement and we crashed the boards and played stand up D (minus Fields).

I agree with everything you said in your post. I think if we get a player like K-Mart and Antoni continues to coach like his job depends on it we might have a shot this season!

Wargames

Starter
This is how the Knicks should dominate. Good job to everybody even D'antoni not perfect but it shows improvement. Especially when he got pissed that even when the Knicks started to falter when they were up by 20 in the third. Coach for your job every night Mike.

Wow, finally a very good performance by the Knicks!

Didn't expect that after the atrocious start.

Toney Douglas, as much as he appears to be a decent person, doesn't belong in this league. PERIOD! The guy cannot play, the PG version of Kwame Brown.

Insert a decent PG in Shumpert and all of a sudden we look like a basketball team, even Stoudemire came alive on offense.

Gotta give the guys credit, last night was a top performance, scoring over 100 while keeping the opposition at 80.

Having said that, there were still a few things I didn't like. At one point Melo was really holding the ball up and taking bad shots, Stoudemire still commited too many turnovers and Landry Fields can't guard most SGs in the league...oh and Toney Douglas should really be our 3rd and 4th string PG (when Davis returns).

No way he should even get one minute in a competitive game, garbage time is all he should get, the same goes for Walker.

fender0577

Rotation player
I'm not fooled, they smoked the pistons.Let's see how the do against an NBA team.I'll give them a little credit, they finally showed some heart and hustle.

Kiyaman

Legend
I want to see Jerome Jordan get more minutes. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to be giving Tyson Chandler so much playing time...we all know his injury history, plus with the shortened season...

Knicks having a 29 point lead to end the 3rd quarter....
Our starting 4th quarter lineup were suppose to be....

C-Jordan (all 12 minutes)
PF-Jorts (all 12 minutes)
SF-Balkman (all 12 minutes)
SG-Shump or Walker
PG-Bibby or TD

There was no reason for Tyson, Stat, Melo, and Fields to get minutes in
the 4th quarter....
The Knicks BUM-coach Dantoni is not preparing players for this crazy close 66 game schedual...

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah I agree, especially games we are doing ok in, I'd like to find Jordan a solid 8 minutes, helps him develop and gets TC a little rest. Don't expect 15-20 or anything but he's shown a bit in preseason and limited time, and there are games where size is more useful too (prob Charlotte...) that he could be used. In a tight game against a team with quick athletic bigs like maybe a LA Clippers I could see him getting splinters, but there are plenty of games he should get at least 5 minutes and that doesn't mean him getting 5 minutes in garbage time tonight

:agreed:
looking at Jerome Jordan tall-man performance the guy box-out well, rebound well, screen well, and pass to the open man well to start a fastbreak or when Jordan is standing (zone) at the foul line with the ball over his head looking for the open man (alley-oop to Shump)....Jordan deserve 6 straight minutes of playingtime in 2 or 3 quarters per game in this close 66 game schedual.
:agreed:
Players like Blake Griifin, D.Howard, Horford, Duncan, KG, Bosh, Boozer, Love,
Zack, Aldridge, will all attack Tyson Chandler early in the game looking to get
Tyson in foul trouble.
Having Amare switch to center to backup a Tyson in early foul trouble is all
good but....if Jorts keep looking to score from the 3-ball line when we need him
to screen for cutters/slashers/and to box-out for an offensive-rebound -vs-
decent teams we are back to where we started at the begining of the season.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Spot on Kiya, and you're right that was a sick ally to Shumpert lmao. But yeah even if he just offers a few fouls on a guy like Dwight it's a plus, you're not looking for Jordan to man up Dwight all night, but if he gives you 6 minutes, thats probably at least 1 or 2 less fouls on Chandler.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
I disagree on not letting Jorts shoot the 3-ball. He is excellent at it. He's like Dirk. Amar'e on the other hand... smh

Kiyaman

Legend
I disagree on not letting Jorts shoot the 3-ball. He is excellent at it. He's like Dirk. Amar'e on the other hand... smh

Jorts is 5 for 21 from 3-ball line???

Jorts taking a big D.Howard/Noah/Horford out of the paint to shoot the 3-ball is different.