S. Curry Receives High Praise and "Wows" Knicks Brass

Scribbles

Rotation player
Man I just hope that this is the last time we're discussing being in the lottery.

If we're not aiming to win at least 40 wins this season = FAILURE.

That being said, I think the Knicks are gonna spurn us all and nab a proven player this offseason (not in the draft) whether that's Amare, Chandler, or whomever.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
^ OldTimer is right though. On draft night we will be able to trade our first round pick. It is no longer a future pick (2009 pick for the 2009/2010 season). When the clock starts for us to pick #8, we can trade it and Eddy Curry for an expiring contract.

1) If you read again it said it can't be done.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then a team can trade its 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

We could of traded our pick regardless if we traded last year pick but not if we already traded our 2010 pick. So we can't trade this pick unless we get a first rounder this year or next year. Also stop involving Eddy curry in a trade before july 1st ( the same goes for D Lee, Nate, Harrington, Richardsson)
The only thing we can do is pick (for us or other team)and then wait till july1 and trade the rights of our pick and one of the above players. Now Curry Q-Rich and Harington don't have a say in the trade after july 1st cus they loose their options after july 1st but Nate and D lee have the leverage where they go which make them hard to prearrange a deal on draft night. There are loopholes but those deals are very complicated and very rare. Not to say that if the league finds out there are heavy fines.

2) Now for eddy curry case the best scenario to trade him is next february or next summer when he become an expiring contract. After this july 1st he become a 22 mil guaranteed contract. Now can we find a team that will pay 22 mill (edy curry contract) plus around 3 mill ( 8 pick salary) just to pick at #8? I don't think so. That s about 25 mill just to get the # 8 pick( even if we take back an expiring at around 10 mill is still about 15 mill left on the table). Out the top of my head I can only see Houston looking at this if we take back Tracey McGreaddy contract. That almost matches eddy curry money and they only have to pay the # 8 pick salary. It will make sense for them to tell us to pick a SG for them and then do the trade in july.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
I think i'd like Curry more on our team right now perhaps more than anyone else in the draft... he has the potential clearly to be the best from this draft, and from the way his workout went with the Knicks, Houston's comments about best looking Knick shot, the way Dantoni would grow him; we need him, and we'll be choosing him i think pretty clearly at 8th spot. barring some teams taking him before us. I don't want to trade for 2nd spot much, i want Curry.

Not to mention the lure on James it'll have...

dre48ny

Rotation player
This kid has the poise to be NBA ready, plus with that stroke he can score from anywhere on the court. D'Antoni's system and Curry's shot= incredible. Plus the kid can handle the rock.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
1) If you read again it said it can't be done.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then a team can trade its 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

We could of traded our pick regardless if we traded last year pick but not if we already traded our 2010 pick. So we can't trade this pick unless we get a first rounder this year or next year. Also stop involving Eddy curry in a trade before july 1st ( the same goes for D Lee, Nate, Harrington, Richardsson)
The only thing we can do is pick (for us or other team)and then wait till july1 and trade the rights of our pick and one of the above players. Now Curry Q-Rich and Harington don't have a say in the trade after july 1st cus they loose their options after july 1st but Nate and D lee have the leverage where they go which make them hard to prearrange a deal on draft night. There are loopholes but those deals are very complicated and very rare. Not to say that if the league finds out there are heavy fines.

I hear you. That sucks. Although I'm still not clear on when a pick is a future pick or not. I mean, when does the 08-09 season end and the 09-10 season begin? Is draft day a "limbo-day" between the seasons? Or is draft day the beginning of the 09-10 season? If so, then I believe we can still trade the pick on draft day because it's no longer a future pick. What's the difference in trading it when we select and trading it in July? That's what Oldtimer and I are referring to. We think there is a loophole there.

It's moot if Donnie buys a pick, which he is trying to do.

I guess it's also moot because of the player options in their contracts. Like you said, we can't trade Lee, Nate, Curry, Harrington and Richardson until July 1st. I think we're stuck with Curry for a while. What a shame.

2) Now for eddy curry case the best scenario to trade him is next february or next summer when he become an expiring contract. After this july 1st he become a 22 mil guaranteed contract. Now can we find a team that will pay 22 mill (edy curry contract) plus around 3 mill ( 8 pick salary) just to pick at #8? I don't think so. That s about 25 mill just to get the # 8 pick( even if we take back an expiring at around 10 mill is still about 15 mill left on the table). Out the top of my head I can only see Houston looking at this if we take back Tracey McGreaddy contract. That almost matches eddy curry money and they only have to pay the # 8 pick salary. It will make sense for them to tell us to pick a SG for them and then do the trade in july.

You're right. Houston is the best option. They need a backup Center too.

But trading Curry next summer is pointless. The whole point of trading Curry is to get rid of his salary before 2010 so we can sign free agents in the summer of 2010. We have to trade him for an expiring contract before the trade deadline or else we're f#@ked.

Ok. Now that I'm clear on the whole situation (thanks), that only leaves one preferable option:

- Trade up for Rubio and then sign and trade Nate + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract in July (almost impossible).

I could live with drafting Steph Curry and then trading Nate + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract since I believe Steph Curry will only play a "Nate-type role" (i.e. scoring spark off the bench). This will be easier to accomplish but still very difficult.

Lesson learned...Isiah has f*#ked us for many years to come.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
From http://www.draftexpress.com/

Johnny Flynn
Best Case: Earl Watson
Worst Case: Omar Cook

No thanks...next...

Tyreke Evans
Best Case: Larry Hughes
Worst Case: Willie Green

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson
Best Case: T.J. Ford
Worst Case: Jamaal Tinsley

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson is the best out of the three but draftexpress has him drafted at #17 and nbadraft.net has him being selected at #25. Hardly worth the 8th pick.

Are any of these guys worth holding onto Eddy Curry?

You can't judge a player on what he's projected to become on a website I mean for gods sake deshawn stevenson was projected to become micheal jordan on nbadraft.net and we all know how that turned out lmao.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
But trading Curry next summer is pointless. The whole point of trading Curry is to get rid of his salary before 2010 so we can sign free agents in the summer of 2010. We have to trade him for an expiring contract before the trade deadline or else we're f#@ked.

Lesson learned...Isiah has f*#ked us for many years to come.

Although the best scenario for us is to trade eddy curry this summer (almost impossible for a player making so much money that hasn't played in a year and half and is out of shape) or next february (50/50 if he come back in shape and gets some trade value) is still not pointless to trade him next summer when he become an expiring contract and have some trade value regardless of his shape.
We know that if lebron, bosh, wade, stoudomire, j johnson and all other big time free agents dont sign an extension this summer they won't sign a contract next july on the first day. They will keep everybody alert for at least 2-3 weeks looking to ''their best options'' like they like to say (by next july those players their agents and their teams already know where they will play.) That give us 2-3 weeks to work something regarding eddy curry.

Except lebron(?) most of the free agents are not very happy with their teams right now(bosh and raptors, stat and suns) and if it stay the same and those teams don't improve they will be looking to be moved. That s when we can offer edy curry(expiring contract) plus one of our youngs (chandler, nate, d-lee) for one of those players.
If bosh wants out of toronto next year I can see them taking edy curry (expiring)and a signed chandler, nate, lee (young piece good for rebuilding)in return instead of loosing him for nothing. Same for stoudomire.

Lets say we draft S Curry ( I really want Rubio but that's very unlikely unless his agent steer him towards us by blackmailing other teams or we move up in the draft) and we sign nate and d-lee.
Next summer we give toronto or phoenix edy curry and chandler(if we looking to get lebron that make sense.) That will give us a core of:

S Curry(lebron likes him) or Rubio?
Nate
Gallinari
D-lee
Bosh or Stoudomire

That's better then what cleveland will have and if lebron don't bolt for New York he won't go anywhere.

All I'm saying we still have options next summer to get 2 free agents and loose edy curry.

And yes Isaiah fked us for the foreseeble future.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Although the best scenario for us is to trade eddy curry this summer (almost impossible for a player making so much money that hasn't played in a year and half and is out of shape) or next february (50/50 if he come back in shape and gets some trade value) is still not pointless to trade him next summer when he become an expiring contract and have some trade value regardless of his shape.
We know that if lebron, bosh, wade, stoudomire, j johnson and all other big time free agents dont sign an extension this summer they won't sign a contract next july on the first day. They will keep everybody alert for at least 2-3 weeks looking to ''their best options'' like they like to say (by next july those players their agents and their teams already know where they will play.) That give us 2-3 weeks to work something regarding eddy curry.

Except lebron(?) most of the free agents are not very happy with their teams right now(bosh and raptors, stat and suns) and if it stay the same and those teams don't improve they will be looking to be moved. That s when we can offer edy curry(expiring contract) plus one of our youngs (chandler, nate, d-lee) for one of those players.
If bosh wants out of toronto next year I can see them taking edy curry (expiring)and a signed chandler, nate, lee (young piece good for rebuilding)in return instead of loosing him for nothing. Same for stoudomire.

Essentially you're saying if we can't get rid of Curry before the trade deadline we're hoping the Cavs, Heat, Suns, Toronto, etc. will sign their star and trade for Curry's expiring contract plus some young talent (would probably have to be more than just one). I don't know. That seems unlikely. You're assuming a lot will go in our favor in that situation. Plus, we're then left with a shell of a team. No talent to lure them in the first place.

In order to get multiple free agents in 2010 and still keep some core of decent talent (i.e. strong bench of Nate, Chandler, Lee) Curry must be traded before the deadline. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but to me it seems like the 2010 plan's success lies solely on freeing up enough cap space to sign multiple free agents. That can't be done with Curry still on the books.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Essentially you're saying if we can't get rid of Curry before the trade deadline we're hoping the Cavs, Heat, Suns, Toronto, etc. will sign their star and trade for Curry's expiring contract plus some young talent (would probably have to be more than just one). I don't know. That seems unlikely. You're assuming a lot will go in our favor in that situation. Plus, we're then left with a shell of a team. No talent to lure them in the first place.

In order to get multiple free agents in 2010 and still keep some core of decent talent (i.e. strong bench of Nate, Chandler, Lee) Curry must be traded before the deadline. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but to me it seems like the 2010 plan's success lies solely on freeing up enough cap space to sign multiple free agents. That can't be done with Curry still on the books.

All I'm saying is that bosh, stoudomire, wade, lebron and others have players options for 2010-2011 seasson and if they decline it and dont sign extensions they become free agents. Now if bosh decline his option and wants out of toronto (very likely) they will be forced to look for a trade. That s when we can give them curry(expiring help rebuilding) and one young talent ( they don't have leverage to get more). That's why I think trading curry next summer is not pointless( like I said not the best scenario but not pointless.)

On the other hand if we sign nate and d-lee this summer we don't have enough cap to sign 2 free agents next summer even if we trade curry by next february. Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Stoudomire are all looking for max deals(starting at around 20mil per seasson) and we won't have 38-40 mill without parting ways with either nate or d-lee.

portega1968

El Cacique
It doesn't matter. It sounds like teams ahead of the Knicks (e.g. Washington) will draft him. I just hope we don't give up something to trade up and get Curry. If we're going to trade up in the draft it better be for Rubio.

I keep repeating myself here and nobody seems to agree with me, but the best option is to trade the 8th pick + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract.

I'd trade up to get Stephen Curry while at the same time getting rid of Eddy Curry for an expiring contract as follows:

Mike Miller's expiring deal and Minny's 6th pick (Stephen Curry) for Eddy Curry and whoever the **** they want at the 8th.

Shit, throw in Jared Jeffries' 2yrs for Brian Cardinal's expiring and we would really be in business for 2010!!!

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I'd trade up to get Stephen Curry while at the same time getting rid of Eddy Curry for an expiring contract as follows:

Mike Miller's expiring deal and Minny's 6th pick (Stephen Curry) for Eddy Curry and whoever the **** they want at the 8th.

Shit, throw in Jared Jeffries' 2yrs for Brian Cardinal's expiring and we would really be in business for 2010!!!

If we trade up it has to be only for rubio (or griffin) no one else.

Why minny will take edy curry to move down on draft(lol) when they can pick whomever they want at #6.

I take the whole post as a joke since not even a stupid GM will give us 2 expiring and #6 and take 2 longer deals (curry and jefferies) to move down on the draft. lol