1999 New York Knicks

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The 1999 NBA season was shortened due to a labor dispute that led to a lockout, canceling the first 3 months of the season, literally making this the 1999 NBA Season & Finals. The NBA would have teams play 50 games in the regular season or 61% of regular 82 games, and a normal playoffs, many teams never even played each other. The San Antonio Spurs had the fearsome "Twin Towers", veteran center David Robinson and second year star forward Tim Duncan. The Spurs carried a 37-13 record, the best in NBA.<o></o>
Meanwhile, the Knicks had a tumultuous regular season in which they went 27-23 and sneaked into the playoffs as the eighth and final seed. However, the Knicks would upset the Miami Heat, Atlanta Hawks and the Indiana Pacers en route to becoming the first 8th seed in NBA history to reach the Finals. Unfortunately, starting center and future Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing battled through an Achilles tendon injury that finally forced him to be benched for the finals; and small forward Larry Johnson injured his knee in the series with the Pacers, limiting him (but not forcing him out of) in the Finals.<o></o>
The Spurs won the series 4 games to 1. Spurs forward Tim Duncan was named the Most Valuable Player of the finals. On June 25 In Game 5, with 47 seconds to go, it was Avery Johnson who hit the game-winner. Johnson's shot was followed by a Latrell Sprewell miss that would have sent the series back to San Antonio, as the Knicks couldn't continue their Cinderella run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VialQUiR-m8

Another lockout might happen and the hatred of the Heat grows. The 1999 Spurs was a great team but I always wondered if things would have been different if Patrick Ewing was 100% healthy.
We enter another season with high hopes and there seems to be little similarities between the season we are entering and 1999. There is a lot of excitement and anticipation that I had to go back to remember when the Knicks had heart.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
great players and great team

not the case currently unless PG, SG, and C spots are upgraded

i dont get the deal with felton considering he shot 39% on a team that struggles offensively, that baffles me, unless he's the backup pg for douglas this is unacceptable

to make things better all knicks need is an above average SG and defensive C, and that's just to make the playoffs

can easily be done

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I became a knicks fan in 98 99 because of Allan Houston, Spreewell, Larry Johnson, Ewing the whole damm team. That team played as a REAL team, win or lose.

I HATE THE HEAT, Tim Hardaway is the biggest pos in the world, lol just kidding, but I remember that dude draining them from allmost half court on us and talking HELLA SH*t

Thats how I became a Knick fan, watching the Knicks play tuff no matter what, and living with a loss because they where the tuffest kids on the block, I loved it!!

great players and great team

not the case currently unless PG, SG, and C spots are upgraded

i dont get the deal with felton considering he shot 39% on a team that struggles offensively, that baffles me, unless he's the backup pg for douglas this is unacceptable

to make things better all knicks need is an above average SG and defensive C, and that's just to make the playoffs

can easily be done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINKN2MY5qE

quiggle

Starter
the two years the Knicks went to the Finals in the 90's, 94 and 99 they were both times helped by bogus referee foul calls. technically they would have lost to both Chicago and Indiana if not for that.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Lockout

Last lockout in 1999 the Knicks had a great season. The season didn't start until February and the Knicks made it to the finals. When will the season start this time? How far will the Knicks go the season coming up?

1999 had memorable moments and the Knicks can make new moments.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I became a knicks fan in 98 99 because of Allan Houston, Spreewell, Larry Johnson, Ewing the whole damm team. That team played as a REAL team, win or lose.

I HATE THE HEAT, Tim Hardaway is the biggest pos in the world, lol just kidding, but I remember that dude draining them from allmost half court on us and talking HELLA SH*t

Thats how I became a Knick fan, watching the Knicks play tuff no matter what, and living with a loss because they where the tuffest kids on the block, I loved it!!

That was the year Van Gundy should've been fired instead of the GM at the time (Ernie Grunfeld) who assembled that team. Allan Houston unfortunately saved JVG's job with that shot in Miami. Firing Grunfeld & keeping JVG was the beginning of the Knicks downward spiral.

Kiyaman

Legend
That was the year Van Gundy should've been fired instead of the GM at the time (Ernie Grunfeld) who assembled that team. Allan Houston unfortunately saved JVG's job with that shot in Miami. Firing Grunfeld & keeping JVG was the beginning of the Knicks downward spiral.

:agreed:

That is what I remembered the most about the 99 Knicks, plus how well
PG-Chris Childs, Houston, Sprewell, Camby, and Kurt Thomas "JELLED" as
a unit once Dolan followed the team to show up at every game after firing
Ernie Grunfield

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
:agreed:

That is what I remembered the most about the 99 Knicks, plus how well
PG-Chris Childs, Houston, Sprewell, Camby, and Kurt Thomas "JELLED" as
a unit once Dolan followed the team to show up at every game after firing
Ernie Grunfield

JVG lived off the coat-tails of Pat Riley & inherited Riley's team. JVG in an overrated, inflexible, one dimensional quitter. When you have prime combos of Yao Ming & Steve Francis (& T-Mac) & you can't get out of the first round of the playoffs that speaks for itself. Rick Adelman was able to get more from that team than with less marqee players.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Indeed I agree that getting rid of Grunfeld was a huge mistake.

I don't know if it's all Van Gundy's fault, but we should not have gotten rid of Grunfeld. Replacing Grunfeld with Scott Layden was the beginning of the downfall of the Knicks