The Official Hire Van Gundy Thread

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
10 Years...10 years....10.....10.......10

Alot has happened in 10 years, the World Trade Center went down, the first african american president was elected, Patrick Swayze passing away, and Justin Bieber.

But in those 10 years the Knicks have never been relevant, atleast in a good way. When was the last time you cheered for the knicks with championship aspirations? Yea i thought so.

Our current situation is a pickle.We have 2 so called superstars and an offensive minded coach, we have given that coach every thing he has asked and waited for in the past 3 years, but still he needs MORE time. Well as knicks fans we dont have TIME, infact we've waited 10 years and time is running out for Dantoni.

So what can the solution be for our Playground defense, Soft play, lack of spirit and accountability, and most of all...lack of a coach? Theres a guy i know of who is dying to get his paws on the team again, not for the money, not for the chance to reek revenge on our upper management or to get under the bright lights again, but to win!

hsoz8j.jpg

That is the picture of a coach who doesnt just talk the talk but fight the fight! He demands the most out of his players and will never let them under achieve. He coaches championship quality basketball and wants his teams to be gritty and tough.

7 of Van Gundy's 11 season as a coach his teams finished with 40+ wins. 4 years his teams finished with 50+ wins. 3 of those years he wasnt even coaching the whole season and we forget that he coached the constantly banged up rockets and the miracle knicks team of 1998-1999.

Its obvious that this guy knows how to maximize the most out of his players and he understands the basic concept for winning basketball.

DEFENSE:

Van Gundy's teams are notoriously great, tough defensive teams always finishing around the top 8 and are also average offensive teams as well. The offense with Amare and Melo wont be a problem. But if we add the defensive mentality that Jeff can bring and we can be DOMINANT. Dominant and contenders are 2 different things, the 60's lakers with Wilt Chamberlain were contenders, but the 60's Celtics were Dominant.

Now obviously we wont win as much as the 60's Celtics did in a 10 year span but in a 10 year span with Jeff, we have the potential to win 4 chips. Those are more than enough to get Hall Of Fame recognition.

Jeff Also brings something that Mike Dantoni is to soft to ever bring.

ACCOUNTABILITY:

Jeff Van Gundy will not let any folly on the court last for long, you will get benched for not hustling or not playing hard on defense. Amar'e will then have no choice but to play hard in order to be rewarded with more PT as well as Melo'. He wont let Charlotte and Milwaukee score 110+ on us and he wont let our super stars get by because of their names. In other words, if they don't want to play defense than they wont play at all.

qxkuqb.jpg

LEADERSHIP:

Van Gundy Has a phil jackson esque way of getting his team to follow his techniques to precision. Not because he will yell at you but because he teaches you along the way how to get better in a certain department.

rm4l54.jpg

He is a presence instead of just a voice, when he speaks the players listen they will listen and listen closely, because nothing but winning basketball games comes out of his mouth and also making you a better player in the process.

WORKING WITH WHAT HES GOT:

Van gundy has never had a team in their full strength and thats whats so fascinating about his achievements, the '99 knicks went to the finals with an old and banged up Ewing, the rockets always missing T-MAC or YAO. He doesnt use what players on the team as an excuse for failure, but he uses it as motivation to the rest of the players that now we have to play as a complete unit and he has always been able to get his teams to do that.

2ynhqvn.jpg

Jeff also is an excellent X'S AND O'S coach, he has a straight forward plan thats simple and effective.Pick and Roll basketball. HA you guys didn't know he pretty much runs the same base offense as MDA did you? He is a pick and roll heavy coach that understands how to stop it as well which to me is funny because MDA is the genius Pick N Roll coach but has no idea how to contain it. So if we fire him theres not a new offensive system they would have to pick up but more so just concepts and terminology. So our teams will have the opportunity to pick up where we left off, while picking up defensive mindset in the process.

Van Gundy is not Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, or Gregg popovich but the bottom line is he knows how to win games plain and simple. He doesnt have a fancy offense or special plays but he gets it, something that Dantoni doesnt and thats DEFENSE!

27zvkhz.jpg

"Offense wins games, but Defense wins Championships." -Dave Thorson

Last edited:
+1 something needs to change dude MDA is a moron, i havent posted here bcuz of the losing skid and there wasnt nothing to talk about except losing and the causes of losing but enough is enough JVG or Herb williams w/e it takes to get mike out of here i will support.

GET JVG

Top Billin

Rookie
Meh MDA is not a terrible coach but still some things he just doesnt comprehend, i would rather have a more balanced coach than JVG like A rick adelman or mark jackson hehe but yea MDA cant handle melo and stat i think we need a new solution at the HC spot.

KingofNy

Starter
Best thread I've read in awhile... +1 Rep!

We need JVG or any coach other than Dumbtoni that preaches defense and has enough stature to dicipline his players and utilize them to the best of his abilities.

smokes

Huge Member
Nothing that cant be rectified....especially if we can give him a team he can coach.

Can you imagine, JVG head coach, Mark Jackson assistant coach, Patrick Ewing assistant coach....

*cums in pants*

oh and also...

Jeff also is an excellent X'S AND O'S coach, he has a straight forward plan thats simple and effective.Pick and Roll basketball. HA you guys didn't know he pretty much runs the same base offense as MDA did you? He is a pick and roll heavy coach that understands how to stop it as well which to me is funny because MDA is the genius Pick N Roll coach but has no idea how to contain it. So if we fire him theres not a new offensive system they would have to pick up but more so just concepts and terminology. So our teams will have the opportunity to pick up where we left off, while picking up defensive mindset in the process.

Indeed, I remember someone commenting on a thread the other day when JVG said at halftime that he thought D'Antoni's offensive system was great and he would do the same things offensively. The system is great if it's not too rigid in terms of really shooting a 3 within 7 seconds like it is under MDA!

I actually remember some of those 1999 playoff games really were run and gun style (because Patrick Ewing wasn't playing haha)... JVG replaced Pat Rileys defensive minded halfcourt slow-ass players such as Mason, Harper (old legs) and Starks with younger, quicker players like Chris Childs and Larry Johnson. Plus of course Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston who were not known for great defense but played with the INTENSITY encouraged by JVG and arguably the best defender in the league Patrick Ewing. If not for Ewing kind of forcing you to play half court the Knicks would have been SSOL'ing back in 99!

Last edited:

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
Bring Home Van Gundy!!! This guy gets the most out of his players.. Shit no one expected us in the finals in '99 and we got there.. MDA is hot gahbage get him out of here now.. the team plays too soft on the defensive side of the floor

Im not sure if Van Gundy wants to coach right now.. But He's the best candidate for us to gwet right now I hope they fire Dntoni after the season regardless of what happens in the playoffs

Last edited:

Top Billin

Rookie
maybe if mark jackson wants to join him as a dynamic dou of coaching then his decision will be that much easier to make.

joegti10

Banned
Only in a perfect world would JVG come back to coach the Knicks...heres to hoping it happens.

Dantoni is a big act. Im tired of his little tantrums on the sideline, throwing this arms up inn the air every 5 minutes, 'arguing' with the refs everynight who pretty much just ignore him.

We need a coach here, not a primadonna.

KBlack25

Starter
JVG seems pretty set on staying in the booth from what I can tell.

Also - would you want to come back to work for our horrible owner?

JVG seems pretty set on staying in the booth from what I can tell.

Also - would you want to come back to work for our horrible owner?

yea thats the big problem is that james dolan is such an ass to work for and i would understand him not wanting to constantly deal with that headache

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I hate to do this guys but JVG is a quitter. He QUIT on the team & I don't want him back. That was the beginning the our downward spiral. Also he could be just as stubborn as MDA with his sub rotations. What MDA does to Melo, he used to do the same thing to Allan Houston when he was hot.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
YES!! bring the dude back he went to the finals with an old ewing 2 borderline allstar/star players in Houston and Sprewell. and we played defense and guess what? houston isnt a defensive player! its all about the system fellas which has been the fact from day one. bring him back and watch him use stat and melo together to perfection all while keeping our defense in the top half of the league its practically guaranteed to happen. i want this guy back as soon as possible!!

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
I hate to do this guys but JVG is a quitter. He QUIT on the team & I don't want him back. That was the beginning the our downward spiral. Also he could be just as stubborn as MDA with his sub rotations. What MDA does to Melo, he used to do the same thing to Allan Houston when he was hot.

a quitter? nah its knicks management they did the same to pat riley, aggravate him so muh he just up and left, JVG if anything was just sick of the bs

petescud

Starter
I don't think JVG wants to coach right now. First and foremost, he is under contract. Not sure if that can be broken. Secondly, he has young kids and likes staying close to home. I like the guy but i don't see it happening soon

I don't think JVG wants to coach right now. First and foremost, he is under contract. Not sure if that can be broken. Secondly, he has young kids and likes staying close to home. I like the guy but i don't see it happening soon

yea but the lakers are also talking with him to see if he wants to replace phil jackson, i think he is weighing his options on rather to stick with the booth or go on the sidelines again because he is the biggest coaching name out there right now along with brown,sloan and mark jackson

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
a quitter? nah its knicks management they did the same to pat riley, aggravate him so muh he just up and left, JVG if anything was just sick of the bs

However way you look at it he quit on the team. He's a great defensive coach & holds you accountable, which is something we need here. But when you have Steve Francis (in his prime), Yao Ming & can't get out of the 1st round (had prime T-Mac too) I would rethink that he's the coach we need. Rick Adelman was able to get more from the depleted Rockets roster than JVG did with 2 All-Stars.

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
i think everyone would love to get jvg back. i would want him back because i grew up in the van gundy years and was devastated to see him go, nothing against mda though. I think mike is a good coach who is taking to much criticism but if we had the chance to get van gundy, i think we should take it in a heart beat.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
However way you look at it he quit on the team. He's a great defensive coach & holds you accountable, which is something we need here. But when you have Steve Francis (in his prime), Yao Ming & can't get out of the 1st round (had prime T-Mac too) I would rethink that he's the coach we need. Rick Adelman was able to get more from the depleted Rockets roster than JVG did with 2 All-Stars.

good point but remember when T-MAC first came to houston within 2 season he was in and out of the lineups because of "sore knees" then before you know it he had the microfracture surgeries which ended his playing level of greatness and yao was healthy but it was prime yao but you maybe right he couldve did better with em but it was always 1 key player out all the time.