Would You Trade For Kemba Walker???

mafra

Legend
SI.com

?Kemba Walker, Hornets

Walker projects to be the biggest fish in the trade market. The UConn product is having the best season of his career in 2018?19, pouring in 27.9 points per game while shooting a career-high from the field and 38.3% from three. He?s an expiring contract, too. Charlotte can offer the largest contract to Walker?five years, $188 million?yet it?s likely the former NCAA champion will search for a better situation after failing to win a playoff series in each of his first seven seasons.

There won?t be a shortage of suitors should Charlotte opt to deal Walker. The Lakers would be expected to enter the mix, seeking a proven secondary scorer alongside LeBron James. Walker can mirror Kyrie Irving?s impact next to James, providing a clutch shot-maker with isolation credentials. Sacrificing Kyle Kuzma or Brandon Ingram (or perhaps a point-guard swap involving Lonzo Ball) could get a deal done.

Other intriguing destinations? Perhaps Philadelphia isn?t done star shopping. The 76ers own Miami?s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, and perhaps the Hornets will attempt to revive Markelle Fultz?s career. San Antonio could look to add another backcourt scorer, too, and the Spurs have the young capital to make a deal. Expect a robust market for the two-time All-Star.

Charlotte?s cap sheet is ugly outside of Walker. Bismack Biyombo has a $17 million option for 2019?20 that he will likely accept, and the same goes for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at $13 million. The Hornets owe an additional $15 million to Marvin Williams and $14.5 million to Cody Zeller. The most egregious deal belongs to Nic Batum, who is slated to earn $25.6 million next season. If Charlotte can attach one of the aforementioned contracts to a Walker deal, it will go a long way to mitigating the damage done during the Rich Cho era.?

mafra

Legend
1) if Knicks take back a bad contract, 3 years of Batum... a Walker-Batum for Kanter, Lee, and Dotson works. Knicks toss in a 2020 1st.

Batum can groom Knits to play like him... the French connection.

CHA gets cap relief for next 2 years, a nice young SG, and two vets they could flip for something else... perhaps.

mafra

Legend
2) Knicks send Knits-Lee for Kemba and Bacon. This trade also works.

NY dumps Lee?s 2019 salary... get their PG. This will cost you Knits tho.

mafra

Legend
Is it worth trading for 28-yr-old Kemba... having Walker in NY during his age 29-33 seasons?

Tough call... KP wants to win now... not in 4 years. I?m not seeing it realistic NY can get a free agent next summer.

Now, we could tank and hope for Zion... then hope a max or 2 solid players commit to NY... Hope Kemba just signs with us...

Or, LAK trades for Kemba, then KD or KL go there..

Part of me wants to push chips in table now and be proactive...

Another part prefers to rebuild through draft and tank this season and not be concerned about free agency.

Both arguments are valid. But clearly the music has almost stopped on next summer?s free agent class...Kemba and KD might be last pieces.

Prospects are assets and often they?re best spent selling high... I think if they don?t believe Knits is their future starting caliber of player then flip him while his potential still inflates his value. Even if you are selling long term for next year.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Mafra I think the losses are making you go crazy :lol:

Theres no way we should trade for anybody right now. Specially for someone that'll get us a few extra wins this year.

We need to rebuild thru the draft. Also we should try to acquire the best possible players in free agency. If they don't wanna sign with us then don't spend that cash on anybody else.
I'm tired of seeing us overspend on average players (timmy hardaway).
Lets take our time and do things correctly this time.

tiger0330

Legend
Pretty sure with any trade done with the Knicks, CHA would be looking for their 2019 1st to get into the Zion lottery. Nits for Kemba is laughable, the French Prince doesn't have that kind of trade value but I would jump at that deal if CHA values Nits that hign.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kemba's performance are just a half a step above Mudiay's performance.
There's nothing win win bout Kemba's performance .. Hornets tried their best to trade Kemba last season .. no takers !!!

Broadway

All Star
Kemba's performance are just a half a step above Mudiay's performance.
There's nothing win win bout Kemba's performance .. Hornets tried their best to trade Kemba last season .. no takers !!!

Kiy your posts are so untimely and off sometimes...I know you mean well but come on

I said last yr we should have traded for him(nothing has changed) if we wanted to show everyone we were serious about winning when they made him available after their players went down with injuries early in the season but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo we couldn't give up our precious little Knitty :rolling::rolling::rolling:

I said again this yr and he once again is the only realistic Free Agent target we can get

mafra

Legend
It probably makes more sense to wait and sign him as a free agent than give up an asset for him.... I only trade Knits to them if they take Lee.

Kemba
Timmy
Zion
KP
Robinson

Knox, Burke, Trier, Mudiay, Dotson, Knits and Vonleh.

Toss in a high second rounder... a vet signing big...

Kiy your posts are so untimely and off sometimes...I know you mean well but come on

I said last yr we should have traded for him(nothing has changed) if we wanted to show everyone we were serious about winning when they made him available after their players went down with injuries early in the season but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo we couldn't give up our precious little Knitty :rolling::rolling::rolling:

I said again this yr and he once again is the only realistic Free Agent target we can get

To be fair, Kiya was saying that Kemba isn?t a winning player. Kemba scored 60, but Charlotte still lost. Charlotte is 7 - 8. No reason to believe adding Kemba would make us a winner.

tiger0330

Legend
To be fair to Kemba, he's not why they're not winning. They got 2 guys they're paying $48M that scored 2 pts collectively in Batum and Biyombo. If I'm Kupchak, I do everything I can to bring Kemba back.

mafra

Legend
CHA lost on a buzzer-heater...

Nobody thought adding Kyle Lowry would?ve been the difference... but look at how that worked out for TOR. Lowry was
about 27-28 when it clicked and he became all star caliber PG... Kemba is 28 now...

I think a healthy KP, a lottery stud, a shrewd vet signing plus Walker and NY should be a playoff-bound team.

He?s not my first option, but is sort of like this decade?s Amar?e for us... we won?t be getting the top max types... but... he?s good enough... especially if we add Zion.

To be clear, sign Kemba in free agency? Absolutely. Trade for him? Probably not unless Charlotte is giving him away.

tiger0330

Legend
To be fair to Kemba, he's not why they're not winning. They got 2 guys they're paying $48M that scored 2 pts collectively in Batum and Biyombo. If I'm Kupchak, I do everything I can to bring Kemba back.
This is what Kupchak said about Kemba. Kemba has also expressed wanting to stay in CHA. Odds of a trade are slim with him hitting FA, my guess he stays in CHA.

You said when you arrived here that Kemba Walker would be a “focal point” of this team moving forward. Can you definitively say he’s off the trading block now, that he’s not going anywhere? Mitch Kupchak: He’s a free agent this year, so I’m not sure what I’m allowed to say with the league. But our intention is for him to end his career in a Hornet uniform. It sounds like you and he are in agreement, then. He said he doesn’t want to go anywhere and wants to re-sign here. Mitch Kupchak: Yeah, I’ve read the things he said. He’s beloved here. He’s our All-Star. So, why wouldn’t you want to have him end his career here? He’s been here from the beginning. He’s beloved in the community. It sounds like he wants to stay here. There’s nothing that can be done about that now. Next summer, we’ll do what we have to do.

Broadway

All Star
To be fair, Kiya was saying that Kemba isn?t a winning player. Kemba scored 60, but Charlotte still lost. Charlotte is 7 - 8. No reason to believe adding Kemba would make us a winner.

I think they've made the playoffs twice the past 5yrs, not that that's saying much but it's more than we have. Now what do you think of adding Kemba to #kporzee/Knox/Trier/THJR? we'd still be bottom feeders? Is this what the two of you are saying?

So it's really Kawhi/Durant of bust huh? No Klay, No Butler, No Kyrie won't make us any better than Kemba if we're being honest in our hearts

Broadway

All Star
This is what Kupchak said about Kemba. Kemba has also expressed wanting to stay in CHA. Odds of a trade are slim with him hitting FA, my guess he stays in CHA.

You said when you arrived here that Kemba Walker would be a “focal point” of this team moving forward. Can you definitively say he’s off the trading block now, that he’s not going anywhere? Mitch Kupchak: He’s a free agent this year, so I’m not sure what I’m allowed to say with the league. But our intention is for him to end his career in a Hornet uniform. It sounds like you and he are in agreement, then. He said he doesn’t want to go anywhere and wants to re-sign here. Mitch Kupchak: Yeah, I’ve read the things he said. He’s beloved here. He’s our All-Star. So, why wouldn’t you want to have him end his career here? He’s been here from the beginning. He’s beloved in the community. It sounds like he wants to stay here. There’s nothing that can be done about that now. Next summer, we’ll do what we have to do.

Which is why we'd almost have to trade for him....of course we have to hope they start losing games at an alarming rate. We're going to have to pry someone we want away from a team. Free Agency is going to prove difficult with a team going down the drain this yr.

I think they've made the playoffs twice the past 5yrs, not that that's saying much but it's more than we have. Now what do you think of adding Kemba to #kporzee/Knox/Trier/THJR? we'd still be bottom feeders? Is this what the two of you are saying?

So it's really Kawhi/Durant of bust huh? No Klay, No Butler, No Kyrie won't make us any better than Kemba if we're being honest in our hearts

I think that I said in another post that I?d sign Kemba in free agency, but I?d be weary of paying any significant price for him in a trade. I don?t think we?re snagging any big names in free agency when all is said and done though. We?ve never been a hot free agency destination. The media just makes it sound like we are because it gets them views on stories.

tiger0330

Legend
Which is why we'd almost have to trade for him....of course we have to hope they start losing games at an alarming rate. We're going to have to pry someone we want away from a team. Free Agency is going to prove difficult with a team going down the drain this yr.
The Hornets are a borderline playoff team as it stands so at this point it's moot that we sign him in FA. Like you say we're going to be a hard sell for a FA like Kemba who may be dying to go to a winning team with a chance to contend for a championship.