After 3 games coach D'antoni exposed as a fraud?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
GTFOH w that BS!! You're contradicting yourself.

If the Suns we're gonna be good no matter what because of the players they had, then the same applies for the Knicks. PLAYERS WIN GAMES, NOT COACHES! Give our F-ing players, including Gallo a chance to gel and climb outta their respective funks and we'll be ok.

You guys really overvalue the impact these coaches have.

Huh? D'Antoni played Duhon as if he was a superstar, didn't give our rookies a chance except Gallo, which I wouldn't be surprised because of favoritism. He allows players to jack threes all night no matter what.

We have talent, but could be better with a coach with a winning plan.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
How can you call a coach a fraud after 3 games, especially not too many players returning from last year? You have to try shit out and see what works, 3 games...I mean really? I'd love to see people criticizing him go get an NBA coaching job.

These dudes are crazy on here! You finally give the Fking coach a team to play with and star to make plays and you dudes still wanna bit*h. LOL you people are something else. The last couple of years, this team has had many many many many scrubs.

If gallo sucks GOOD, you still gotta play him and see if he can overcome his bad streak right now. The kid is only 22 crackheads. He is in a slump and may never return OR maybe he is injured or just having a bad year so far with all these high expectations. You fkking people need to be patient with this team. In basketball with this roster, and the way the league is stacked you can't get ahead of yourselfs, we're in a rebuilding process dummies.

You people on here are fkking bonkers. Go take a pill

petescud

Starter
I won't put dantoni down, cause i know nothing about coaching. I will say, we should had won the Portland game. I felt no shame losing to the Celtics as they have a very talented squad, and will challenge whoever in the East IMO. We also oly lost to them by 5 if i'm right. Can't see a crappy coach playing the Celtics that close.

We did however give away the Portland game. If Dantoni wants the Knicks in the playoffs, he has to win these winable games. Its really what makes a playoff team, to win these. Hope things come together for us. I really find myself cheering this team...We're in it, lets win it

quiggle

Starter
You're funny.

yeah but let's be realistic here, D'Antoni was brought here not to improve the team but to lure the free agents here because of his so called whatever system players liked in the Olympics. STAT came here for the max contract, not to win here, not to be a true Knick, none of that only for the max contract because the Knicks were the only silly team willing to offer that on creaky uninsured knees. in the end of the day STAT will cash his paycheck at the expense of Knicks fans grief. if Toronto would have given him the same he'd be up there now.

D'Antoni bought no high end free agents here and won't at all in the foreseable future, Isiah has the respect of players like Paul and Carmelo and the team has a better chance of getting them with him back whether you like it or not. Paul and Carmelo are grown man who can run the game on their own and really having Isiah back won't cancer the team like last time because you had immature players divas in Stafon, Nate and Curry, Larry Brown last time around.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
yeah but let's be realistic here, D'Antoni was brought here not to improve the team but to lure the free agents here because of his so called whatever system players liked in the Olympics. STAT came here for the max contract, not to win here, not to be a true Knick, none of that only for the max contract because the Knicks were the only silly team willing to offer that on creaky uninsured knees. in the end of the day STAT will cash his paycheck at the expense of Knicks fans grief. if Toronto would have given him the same he'd be up there now.

D'Antoni bought no high end free agents here and won't at all in the foreseable future, Isiah has the respect of players like Paul and Carmelo and the team has a better chance of getting them with him back whether you like it or not. Paul and Carmelo are grown man who can run the game on their own and really having Isiah back won't cancer the team like last time because you had immature players divas in Stafon, Nate and Curry, Larry Brown last time around.

You're serious?!? You actually want to bring Isiah back?!?

Everyone is going crazy in this country. What the hell. You have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

quiggle

Starter
whether I am serious or not it doesn't matter, what matters is the owner's decision. Dolan. I hope he's had enough of these all sizzle no steak Walsh/Dantoni/Gallinari three stooges garbage and brings back Zeke soon.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

Sorry but you are just making shit up that you can't possibly know. It's funny that you are stating someones inner motivations as fact like you can read minds. Further, STAT is worth max money, would have gotten max money and is certainly better than Joe Friggan Johnson who got max money. He has acted classy, said all the right things, shows leadership and has worked his ass off so I don't know how you can attack this guy as not a true Knick. I don't know if you just like to say provocative things in an attempt to elicit a response or you truly believe these idiotic things I keep seeing you post. I will refrain from doing what you do and make assumptions about your motives...

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
Although I am not a fan of D'antoni's coaching style, it's just too easy to throw out neg. comments on someone when you're not in on the everyday workings of the team.

I am surprised how committed the Knicks are to "D" and leading the league I think in blocks.

That said I think the team would benefit from Mark Jackson as I don't see D'antoni teaching his point guards anything unique.

So, it's early and the Knicks have a tough schedule in the first 6 games. Let's see what happens when Randolph gets in, can he be taught to be really good.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Huh? D'Antoni played Duhon as if he was a superstar, didn't give our rookies a chance except Gallo, which I wouldn't be surprised because of favoritism. He allows players to jack threes all night no matter what.

We have talent, but could be better with a coach with a winning plan.

You don't understand,

Why the hell are you talking about Poohon?! No coach could overcome his ineptitude as a starter w the other players we had. PLAYERS win games!! Coaches have a very limited effect on the game, other than in-game strategy. Hell, W really wonderful players you barely even have to put together anything strategically. Just let them go play. Great players have the strategy in their F-ing heads. Makes it easy on coaches.

We've got some pretty good players now. When they gel we'll be pretty good, prolly a 7th seed. Coach D can't do too much to influence that either way. The best thing he can do is just let them grind in his system, figure it out, find out what works and go from there. Our players will take us where we want to go. Coaches have limited influence on actual wins and losses.

Red

TYPE-A
^^... I disagree. Because you sont recognize the impact deosnt mean its not there.

1. Coaches employ systems... Offensive, defensive, and transition sets, based on personnel, match-ups, situations.

2. Employ strategies after BREAKING DOWN" film.

3. Have to use various sub patterns amd packages

4. Is the next official rep of managment above the players and thus are managers, supervisors and mid-men

5. Have to handle many different adult personalities

6. employ strategy such as inbounds plays, when to trap, when to call fouls, who to double etc...
7. handle injuries

and that's the basics... besides personnel evaluation and leadership.

Why do you think certain coaches are saught after by players and execs.. why not save the millions and have a player/ coach? And I bet u think "any one with say the Lakers roster could win"... but what you don't undestand is..

Without that coach, his rep, and success... there wouldn't be that roster. Its the coach... and his system amongst other things is the Triangle... very successful...

so why do you think every coach ISN'T running it?

Paul1355

All Star
any other coach would have Gallo driving most of the time and posting up, instead we have a chuck coach who wants Gallo to just chuck so thats what Gallo does...this is why trading Gallo will only help him. Imagine if Gallo wwas traded to Denver under George Karl? He would prob average 20 ppg right off the bat because of better coaching and more discipline.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
^^... I disagree. Because you sont recognize the impact deosnt mean its not there.

1. Coaches employ systems... Offensive, defensive, and transition sets, based on personnel, match-ups, situations.

2. Employ strategies after BREAKING DOWN" film.

3. Have to use various sub patterns amd packages

4. Is the next official rep of managment above the players and thus are managers, supervisors and mid-men

5. Have to handle many different adult personalities

6. employ strategy such as inbounds plays, when to trap, when to call fouls, who to double etc...
7. handle injuries

and that's the basics... besides personnel evaluation and leadership.

Why do you think certain coaches are saught after by players and execs.. why not save the millions and have a player/ coach? And I bet u think "any one with say the Lakers roster could win"... but what you don't undestand is..

Without that coach, his rep, and success... there wouldn't be that roster. Its the coach... and his system amongst other things is the Triangle... very successful...

so why do you think every coach ISN'T running it?

Yada Yada Yada...

You haven't said anything i'm not aware of or considering.

You think Idk what coaches do??

Read what I typed there in my post . I said "limited" impact. I understand they do all of the above and that some coaches impact a team more than others. But that impact is minimal. When you have the right players - great players - combined w a good coach that equals winning and sometimes it amounts to championships. Mike D'antoni is a good coach.

Simply put, the better the players, the less a coach has to worry about because of the flexibility he has. That's the key word here - FLEXIBILITY.

This is an important concept. Think about it, if player is great that means he can do a lot in areas that help the team win. If a great player can do a few things well, the coach and teammates have less to worry about..

So if Phil Jackson has Kobe and Gasol then that means he can spend more time coaching up role players and devising strategies. No Pau or Kobe equals less time to coach up role players and devise strategy. Phil would also have a whole lot less in terms of options w regards to in-game management, ie playing time, who to go to at certain times etc. It's about flexibility. Real simple.

How about wins and losses? What did Phil Jackson do when Jordan decided to play baseball?? That's right, no title that year. The better team of players (Knicks) got to the finals and lost to an opponent w an even better group (Rockets) of PLAYERS! Isn't Phil Jackson a better coach than Pat Riley or Rudy Tomjanovich?? If so why didn't he win it all that year??

That Bulls team w Phil Jackson is comparable to the Phoenix teams coached by Mike D'antoni that almost made it to the finals but fell short: that Bulls team got about 55 wins in the regular season, went deep into the playoffs and get knocked out just short of the finals. The Suns did this in multiple times in consecutive seasons if i'm correct, w one 60+ win team in there somewhere.. One could argue they were prolly one player away from getting there and winning the thing. Who was their coach again?

What was difference that put the Bulls over the top?? Only the best player of all time. Did Phil need him?? Hell yes.

What did Phil do w the Lakers after Shaq left, before they signed Gasol?? Finals? Championship? The answer, none of the above dude.

Coaches need great players to win titles. Period. In the.NBA the team w the best players wins 95 - 99% of the time in the playoffs.

You think the coaches have something to do w that? Common dude..

It's about the players. Coaches have a limited impact.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
No offense but there is so much wrong I do not know where to begin.

Ok, How did Dantoni choose Duhon over Andre Miller when in fact they went after Andre Miller really hard (as well as Jason Kidd that summer) to upgrade the Point Guard position and Miller signed elswhere for more money?

Lets see both the Zach Randolph deal and Crawford deals were done for finacial reasons not because of a talent swap, so basically we traded Crawford and Randolph for Amare Stoudamire,Raymond Felton,d and Mozgov if you look at what it ultimatley amounted to....plus lets not forget GM's make trades not coaches!

Patrick Ewing Sr. is a Knick legend, but why does everyone think that will translate into a great coach for us? The Celtics never hired Larry Bird as coach and he was an NBA coach of the year!

Patrick Ewing Jr. got cut because he was not the best man for the job!!!! if he had made the team everyone would be crying about his lack of PT, if Pat Ewing Jr. is worth making a roster then why since 98 has he not even been called to anyone's camp besides NY? Its out of respect that he gets that chance every Summer League and Pre Season....after all has The Orlando Magic invited him to camp yet?

Now as much as I hate the hate Dantoni gets I can accept it, but what has Walsh done to warrant being called a "fraud"

oh and Please stop complaining about Danillo getting picked over Lopez, lets remember
1. Brook Lopez had not worked out for any team besides the top 3 picking that year in the draft
2. The Nets had given Gallo a guarentee that they would draft him if he was available, and had he been there Lopez wouldve fell another spot
3. we are not the only team that passed on Lopez, Joe Alexander was a far worst pick over Lopez than Gallo was!
4.Lastly The NBA draft is not an exact science! Bucks draft the biggest bust of the draft one year and the very next year those same scouts pick up a steal!

Damn, you're blind.

D'Antoni hasn't done s#!t for the Knicks, and you're still obsessed with him?

Seriously, you have an excuse for everything.

You need to check yourself.

1. Here's the article that clearly states D'Antoni did not want Andre Miller.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/02/knicks-giving-duhon-the-marbur.html
"Over the summer, D'Antoni wasn't thrilled by the idea of the Knicks pursuing free agent Andre Miller."

2. Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford were the two leading scorers on the Knicks.

You claim they were only traded for financial reasons.

Well, what did the Knicks get, in 2010? Amare Stoudemire? You're telling me paying Stoudemire 100 million dollars is worth losing Randolph, Crawford, Lee, 2 first round picks, and Brook Lopez?

3. D'Antoni hasn't done s#!t for the Knicks. Ewing couldn't have possibly done any worse, and you need to read people's posts more carefully, because I clearly stated he was not given a chance to work as an ASSISTANT. D'Antoni had 3 chances to hire Ewing as an assistant, and he refused to hire him.

4. Brook Lopez was averaging 18 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks in college. He ranked #1 in NBA centers, in the 2008 draft. He was projected as high as #5 in the mock drafts.

Danillo Gallinari was not even in the top 10, until D'Antoni and Walsh started drooling over him.

And who suggested the Knicks draft Gallinari...Isiah Thomas aka the worse GM in Knicks histroy.

quiggle

Starter
if you were Isiah, wouldn't you have also suggested Gallinari knowing that he is an overrated cannoli who will fall well short in the NBA, that way it makes Walsh and Dantoni look bad giving reason to fire them and bring Isiah back. Zeke is smart you know.

I'm thinking this will turn into the worse draft pick the Knicks have ever made...

Coach needs to wise up and send the kid to the D-league if he plans on keeping him. I think Ewing Junior can play better then Gallo. Our coach is just a stubborn knucklehead who needs to be put in check and humbled. The Boo birds will be out soon enough if he doesn't put the team before family.

quiggle

Starter
so what's the new nickname we're giving Gallinari we already have D'anphony? I have one in mind but there are children here and the language inappropriate but it rhymes with rockmucker.

p0nder

Starter
What the hell are you talkin about? Pat Jr. is a scrub. I don't think he's EVER going to make it to the NBA, let alone to replace a starting position. What basis have you got to make that assumption?

Gallo will be fine, it's taking him some time to adjust to the new team and he's got a sore wrist, hopefully healed with the extra time off from the cancled magic game.

Just as we all predicted, the first few games have been bumpy. This is not outside of the parameters we expected and is no cause for alarm. The team will get better, the players will learn to mesh, the plays will become more sound and better understood and we will ultimately start winning these close games down the stretch. If this was after the all-star break i think we would of won the boston and portland games, just due to players knowing the plays better, having time to learn how to execute and the coach also knowing his players strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not making excuses for this team anymore, we need wins and we need them starting right effing now! but i don't think we need to sell the farm, send gallo to the D-league or fire walsh and D'ant based on 3 hotly contested, tho disappointing games.

quiggle

Starter
what's with adjusting to the league/team excuse, he's been here three seasons already. come on Kobe played with a busted finger all these seasons, Gallo sore wrist?