The Official '"I still watch wrestling" thread

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Ok, so it isn't 2000 anymore, the Attitude Era is long gone, the WCW isn't around, and Rock and Austin aren't here. So much has changed in the wrestling world in the past 10 years.And its somewhat obvious that some of the posters here still watch wrestling. Not that its a problem, well thats what this is for.

Anyway, we can use this thread to talk about whats going on in the WWE/TNA/Whatever you watch right now. Who your fav wrestlers are, what your thoughts on the current product are, etc...I'll start.

So what do you guys think about the current "PG" era of the WWE?

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Sucks... I was into wrestling like crazy in the attitude era, I took my little cousin to a house show at the carrier dome in Cuse this past december... Worst shit I ever had to sit through... And Ive seen some pretty bad shit, 3rd grade concerts, Ballet recitals, you name Ive seen it. Wrestling has taken a turn for the worst....

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Sucks... I was into wrestling like crazy in the attitude era, I took my little cousin to a house show at the carrier dome in Cuse this past december... Worst shit I ever had to sit through... And Ive seen some pretty bad shit, 3rd grade concerts, Ballet recitals, you name Ive seen it. Wrestling has taken a turn for the worst....

Forreal man. I always catch RAW and Smackdown on Mondays and Fridays just out of habit. I'm used to watching it for so long it feels weird not to.

Wrestling itself is getting boring. And that excludes the storylines and whatnot, I'm talking about the sheer wrestling. It's like these new guys can't take bumps for shit.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I use to watch wrestling when WCW Monday Nitro was still on TNT and the so called Monday Night Ratings War between Vince McMahon and Ted Turner were transpiring.I stood there until the very last episode of Nitro when Shane McMahon had made the declaration that he had purchased WCW.Even though there were close to 8 million viewers watching that final Nitro segment, it was a big slap in the face to many life long WCW fans who were looking forward to a much happier ending.

I might sound sort of bias here since I've always despised many of the WWF fan boys who were very critical of WCW during it's latter years.But I will admit that the WWF's Vince McMahon vs Steve Austin feud had more potency and adrenaline to it than the overly dragged out WCW vs NWO gag.I guess that was one of the main reasons why people grew tired of watching WCW Nitro and started tuning in to WWF Raw every Monday night.

The problems that WCW encountered during it's final years on television were their inability to make proper use of their young talent, allowing superstar wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash to have too much creative power, their overuse of the NWO angle, and the dysfunction of it's wrestlers and managerial staff.WCW was a train wreck by the end of the millennium.All you had to do was watch a Monday Nitro episode from 1999-2001 to see how disorganized the show had become.It became so bad for them that Time Warner was forced to take WCW off the air by canceling all of their programs.And the final nail in the coffin for WCW came after Ted Turner sold WCW to Vince McMahon for a mere 4.2 million dollars.

After Vince McMahon had bought out WCW and ECW it was evident that he had monopolized the sports entertainment industry.He went from feeling threatened that Ted Turner was going to take his WWF out of business to being the owner of the three most popular wrestling franchises at the time.As much as I dislike corporate executives such as Vince McMahon I have to give the man his due credit for standing in there and going toe to toe with Ted Turner.It's very difficult for any businessman to compete with a billionaire, let alone run one of their companies out of business.Vince McMahon did the improbable by beating Ted Turner and buying out WCW.

As for his mishandling of the WCW trademark, that's a different story.Many smart wrestling fans were able to recognize how the story line behind the WCW/ECW Invasion was one colossal flop and a major disappointment.From the alliance being mostly consisted of WCW mid-carders to Mr. McMahon using his WWE wrestlers to humiliate these former WCW wrestlers the Invasion storyline wasn't able to live up to the hype surrounding it.And if you thought that storyline was really bad, the resuscitation of the NWO angle was an even bigger joke.As successful as WWE was during it's Attitude era their creative team just didn't know how to properly use WCW talent and involve them in the right story lines.Many people believe that all of this was due to Vince McMahon's personal bias against WCW wrestlers.When you look at this in retrospective, these WCW wrestlers were the same WCW wrestlers who were responsible for Vince McMahon losing the Monday Night ratings war for 83 consecutive weeks.The last thing that he wanted to do was give these wrestlers the same special treatment that he would give wrestlers such as Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Rock and Triple H.

The end of WCW was something that many of it's fans weren't able to easily come to terms with.Watching a once proud organization suffer a disastrous crash,by being bought out by it's rival company and having it's wrestlers misused was something that I had to endure as a devout WCW fan.After being in awe with Hollywood Hogan and the NWO, the '97 WCW Starcade payperview build up that involved Sting, the great WCW cruiser weight division, Bill Goldberg's undefeated streak, and WCW's mainstream popularity it was very difficult for me to face the reality of WCW no longer being an important part of my life.I don't think I have really gotten into wrestling ever since then.I try to watch TNA Impact every now and then but it just doesn't have the same appeal that WCW had back in it's heyday.Even WWE Raw is a shell of it's former self these days.As much as WWE fans were happy about the departure of WCW, it really hurt the integrity of professional wrestling.I believe that the Monday Night ratings battle between WCW and WWE was what brought back many of the wrestling fans that stopped watching wrestling after the late 1980's, it was also responsible for beckoning many of America's youth who previously knew nothing about professional wrestling but were willing to identify themselves with their favorite wrestlers on a weekly basis.Those were the days in which watching wrestling wasn't something that people did because they had nothing else to do or because there wasn't anything else on television to watch but because people wanted to feel the suspense and excitement of live televised surprises.You didn't even have to be a hard core wrestling fanatic to enjoy a 2 hour episode of Nitro or Raw.That's how powerful and influential pro wrestling was in the late 90's.If I had the opportunity to relive those days I wouldn't hesitate to take a time machine and go back a dozen years into time.Will pro wrestling ever be as good as it was a decade ago? Only time will be able to give you a definitive answer to that question.

Last edited:

johnstarky

Rotation player
Sorry for writing such a redundant post, Streetdreams, but having the opportunity to talk about professional wrestling is rare for a guy like me.I don't meet too many people that enjoy discussing pro wrestling, especially in this day and age.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Ok, so it isn't 2000 anymore, the Attitude Era is long gone, the WCW isn't around, and Rock and Austin aren't here. So much has changed in the wrestling world in the past 10 years.And its somewhat obvious that some of the posters here still watch wrestling. Not that its a problem, well thats what this is for.

Anyway, we can use this thread to talk about whats going on in the WWE/TNA/Whatever you watch right now. Who your fav wrestlers are, what your thoughts on the current product are, etc...I'll start.

So what do you guys think about the current "PG" era of the WWE?

I used to watch wrestling back in the "Attitude era." Those were the days.

I don't think it has to do too much with the style now, it has more to do with people growing out of it. Back in the stonecold/rock era I was 13-15 years old. Shit just got old for me.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I think this thread was meant for posters to discuss what was happening in wrestling these days.Well how about TNA geting rid of it's 6 sided ring and going with the traditional four sided one? I think that was Hulk Hogan's decision.And what really perplexes me is how TNA continues to bring in all these has-beens.This is where the WWE is a couple of steps ahead of TNA.While WWE has a history of developing their own talent TNA is just the opposite.In the last few years TNA has brought in Scott Steiner, Booker T, Mick Foley, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan.I know some of these wrestlers were signed by TNA to be mentors to the younger wrestlers but do people really want to watch matches of wrestlers who were in their prime more than 20 years ago?

And what's with these short matches in TNA now? It seems like their matches only last about 30 seconds. The first wrestler to go down in a match ends up getting pinned and the match is then quickly over.I think microwaving popcorn takes more time than an average TNA match these days.I don't really like the direction that TNA is heading in now.Someone needs to tell TNA president Dixie Carter that her company was doing very well without Hulk Hogan and these other wrestlers that should have retired a couple of decades ago.TNA doesn't need to be the WWE's nursing home in order to attract young viewers.Just because a wrestler had marketing power over one generation of people doesn't mean that he will do the same thing over another generation of people.If these decisions end up hurting TNA in the long run they have nobody else to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
I think this thread was meant for posters to discuss what was happening in wrestling these days.Well how about TNA geting rid of it's 6 sided ring and going with the traditional four sided one? I think that was Hulk Hogan's decision.And what really perplexes me is how TNA continues to bring in all these has-beens.This is where the WWE is a couple of steps ahead of TNA.While WWE has a history of developing their own talent TNA is just the opposite.In the last few years TNA has brought in Scott Steiner, Booker T, Mick Foley, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan.I know some of these wrestlers were signed by TNA to be mentors to the younger wrestlers but do people really want to watch matches of wrestlers who were in their prime more than 20 years ago?

And what's with these short matches in TNA now? It seems like their matches only last about 30 seconds. The first wrestler to go down in a match ends up getting pinned and the match is then quickly over.I think microwaving popcorn takes more time than an average TNA match these days.I don't really like the direction that TNA is heading in now.Someone needs to tell TNA president Dixie Carter that her company was doing very well without Hulk Hogan and these other wrestlers that should have retired a couple of decades ago.TNA doesn't need to be the WWE's nursing home in order to attract young viewers.Just because a wrestler had marketing power over one generation of people doesn't mean that he will do the same thing over another generation of people.If these decisions end up hurting TNA in the long run they have nobody else to blame but themselves.

The problem with TNA getting rid of the six sided ring is that the six sided ring was something unique to TNA. TNA will never be able to do what the WWE does better than the WWE. They can do TNA, their own thing, better than WWE.

They want to separate themselves from WWE, but then they keep bringing in former WWE guys, doing WWE gimmicks and storylines, making guys who were WWE ANNOUNCERS into TNA CHAMPIONS. How does that make TNA look? A guy who was an announcer on WWE TV is TNA Champ?

TNA should try and be its own thing. Bring in guys like Hogan and Foley to put over their young talent. Why did the then-WWF become popular? Because they brought in old talent? NO! Because they had Stone Cold and Triple H and The Rock being the faces of the company. Because people tuned in to watch THOSE guys, unique to WWF(E), something they hadn't seen before.

For TNA to succeed, they need to establish AJ Styles as a star. Not someone that sneaks by Hogan, not someone that needs Ric Flair's mentoring, someone that is a star in and of himself. They need to establish Samoa Joe, use Abyss properly.

The fact that they are trying to do a new nWo is ludicrous. nWo was great in its time, but as the WWE comeback showed, it didn't work. It won't work now.

As for turning PG, I see the point and I sort of like the idea. The way I see it, wrestling goes in waves. You get kids to enjoy the gimmicky cartoony Doink the Clown type stuff, that gets them hooked at age 8 or 9. Those 8 or 9 year olds then turn 13 and 14, and they want to see boobs and sex, and in 4 or 5 years WWE will be back to TV-14. But those 13 and 14 year olds then turn 18 or 19, they move to MMA or boxing or something else. Instead of trying to recapture that audience by bringing in old guys like Roddy Piper, WWE has changed their product, marketed John Cena to kids.

When those kids who are 8 and 9 now turn 13 or 14, John Cena will turn heel (see: Hulk Hogan joining nWo). We will be back to the same thing we had in the attitude era. It's just a matter of getting younger kids into it now, which is the right idea.

TNA is trying to appeal to 13 and 14 year olds who might be interested in wrestling now, it's the niche they've found. But to keep referencing old WWE(F) guys, it just makes them look weak and like WWE's younger brother.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Its fine, Starky. I don't get the chance to talk about wrestling a lot either. Nice to know people here still watch it :afro:.

I really didn't care for the six-sided ring, the change to the typical "squared circle" doesn't do all that much for me.

TNA is pretty hypocritical, like KBlack said, cause they keep bringing in WWE guys. When you said a former WWE announcer as champion, I'm guessing you were referring to Mick Foley. TNA has messed up quite a bit with their booking, but WWE has done so as well. They let go of Matt Morgan and Elijah Burke "The Pope". look what those guys are doing now. Also, I love how TNA fans always say shit about WWE, yet they most likely go home and DVR the latest episode of RAW.

IMO, they are trying to make AJ bigger than he already is, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Abyss isn't a monster anymore, which takes the purpose away from him. And Joe is past his best years, but still a contender. Apparantly Bischoff isn't all that high on Daniels or Eric Young. WTF? Those guys are extremely talented...They are being underused to none other than Scott Hall and X-Pac. I'd understand a little if they were there to mentor the younger talent, but this is Scott Hall and Pac we're tlaking about. Also, I heard the reason Booker T left was cause he wouldn't let Matt Morgan go over him...

I like KBlack's stance on the PG era, but IMO, i think Vince only cares about making money, and they won't go back to the attitude era. If John Cena was a rapper again, I'd care for him. I can't exaggerate how much i ****ing hate the little green midget on RAW as well.

Oh, and Christian deserves a World Championship. Vince needs to pull the trigger on this. WWE had messed up too much on their young talent, and while Christian is not exactly young, he is quite possibly the best all around guy they have on the whole roster. (I might be overrating him a little, if not the best, one of them).

Only thing I love what WWE is doing right now is CM Punk's stable.

johnstarky

Rotation player
The problem with TNA getting rid of the six sided ring is that the six sided ring was a unique to TNA.TNA will never be able to do what the WWE does better than the WWE. They can do TNA, their own thing, better than WWE.

They want to separate themselves from WWE, but then they keep bringing in former WWE guys, doing WWE gimmicks and storylines, making guys who were WWE ANNOUNCERS into TNA CHAMPIONS. How does that make TNA look? A guy who was an announcer on WWE TV is TNA Champ?

TNA should try and be its own thing. Bring in guys like Hogan and Foley to put over their young talent. Why did the then-WWF become popular? Because they brought in old talent? NO! Because they had Stone Cold and Triple H and The Rock being the faces of the company. Because people tuned in to watch THOSE guys, unique to WWF(E), something they hadn't seen before.

For TNA to succeed, they need to establish AJ Styles as a star. Not someone that sneaks by Hogan, not someone that needs Ric Flair's mentoring, someone that is a star in and of himself. They need to establish Samoa Joe, use Abyss properly.

The fact that they are trying to do a new nWo is ludicrous. nWo was great in its time, but as the WWE comeback showed, it didn't work. It won't work now.

As for turning PG, I see the point and I sort of like the idea. The way I see it, wrestling goes in waves. You get kids to enjoy the gimmicky cartoony Doink the Clown type stuff, that gets them hooked at age 8 or 9. Those 8 or 9 year olds then turn 13 and 14, and they want to see boobs and sex, and in 4 or 5 years WWE will be back to TV-14. But those 13 and 14 year olds then turn 18 or 19, they move to MMA or boxing or something else. Instead of trying to recapture that audience by bringing in old guys like Roddy Piper, WWE has changed their product, marketed John Cena to kids.

When those kids who are 8 and 9 now turn 13 or 14, John Cena will turn heel (see: Hulk Hogan joining nWo). We will be back to the same thing we had in the attitude era. It's just a matter of getting younger kids into it now, which is the right idea.

TNA is trying to appeal to 13 and 14 year olds who might be interested in wrestling now, it's the niche they've found. But to keep referencing old WWE(F) guys, it just makes them look weak and like WWE's younger brother.

I agree that the six sided ring was a valuable commodity to TNA.Without their six sided ring there would have been no X-Division.It's funny how a lot of people use to criticize TNA for the eccentricity of it's ring and now that they've finally changed it those people are crying for it to be reinstated.I know that when TNA first started out they had the traditional four sided ring but then went with the hexagon right after they landed a cable television deal with Fox sports.If Impacts' ratings begin to decline bringing back the six sided ring should be something that they need to get done.

Hulk Hogan recently told an exasperated TNA fan that the reason for TNA bringing all of these old wrestlers was that they were testing to see which of these wrestlers were marketable and rating drawers.And that if TNA wanted to compete with the WWE they needed to establish a solid identity of old and young talent.Not once did he mention anything about most of the roster being consisted of old WCW wrestlers who were getting too much television time.Again this is why I think WWE will always be a couple of steps ahead of TNA.You would never see Vince McMahon give that much creative control to any of his wrestlers.Even when a wrestler such as the Rock was in his prime he never had the privilege of making managerial decisions for the WWE like Hogan and Eric Bischoff are doing right now with TNA.You give a wrestler such as Hogan too much power in a wrestling business he is going to run that business down into the ground by booking himself to win matches, by giving his buddies extra television time and by recycling old gimmicks and story lines.TNA was doing almost everything right before they decided to bring in Hogan.

AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and the Pope D'Angelo Dinero are the faces of that franchise and should be the three main guys that TNA builds their company around.If TNA wants to be successful the last thing that they should do is allow those guys to walk away to the WWE.That is why I worry about guys like Hogan being involved with TNA.You saw how when WCW was still around they lost the Big Show, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, and Dean Malenko in less than one year to the WWF all because of their failure to give those guys a proper push? An old veteran superstar wrestler like Hulk Hogan or Kevin Nash shouldn't even be allowed to hold back young talent in any wrestling company.

Vince Russo trying to bring the same kind of edge that he brought to WWE during it's Attitude days while Eric Bischoff trying to bring back the same edge that he brought in his WCW/NWO days has never been a good mix.You saw how that worked out awfully for them when they tried to do it 10 years ago in WCW and how those two guys just ended up locking horns? You have one guy in Vince Russo who has always been into developing the characters of young and up in coming wrestlers while you have another guy in Eric Bischoff whose always showed a personal favoritism to his pet wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan and Diamond Dallas Page.I've always admired Eric Bischoff but making TNA Impact into an episode of WCW Monday Nitro 2000 is going to make a lot of wrestling fans not want to like their product.If they think that they're going to revive something that suffered a miserable death more than a decade ago and still be able to compete with their rival company they are doing things in an absurd way.I really hope that TNA doesn't evolve into the same kind of circus that WCW was during it's final years.

Wrestling never was PG 13 until the original ECW decided to incorporate it into their events and the WWE decided to steal their idea for it's Attitude Era.I never liked the idea of the Jerry Springer gimmick being meshed together with pro wrestling.I feel that if you can't enjoy watching professional wrestling for what it naturally is then you aren't a true wrestling fan and have no business watching it.They were many people who use to tune into Monday Night Raw not because they wanted to see good wrestlers compete against one another but because they wanted to see Sable's breast implants through the wet T shirts that she use to wear.I believe that this had nothing to do with wrestling whatsoever and seriously felt that it was a waste of time for a guy like me to sit in front of a television set for two hours watching soft core kiddy porn.That was one of the reasons why I despised the WWE at the time.They were so successful in the 1980's without going over the edge in terms of adult content but since they were losing in the late 90's to WCW they needed to incorporate it into their product in order to attract the older crowd.I'm kind of glad that wrestling is PG nowadays.Not that I don't like looking at beautiful women wrestle each other but wrestling should be something that stands out separately from adult oriented gimmicks.

Last edited:

johnstarky

Rotation player
Its fine, Starky. I don't get the chance to talk about wrestling a lot either. Nice to know people here still watch it :afro:.

I really didn't care for the six-sided ring, the change to the typical "squared circle" doesn't do all that much for me.

TNA is pretty hypocritical, like KBlack said, cause they keep bringing in WWE guys. When you said a former WWE announcer as champion, I'm guessing you were referring to Mick Foley. TNA has messed up quite a bit with their booking, but WWE has done so as well. They let go of Matt Morgan and Elijah Burke "The Pope". look what those guys are doing now. Also, I love how TNA fans always say shit about WWE, yet they most likely go home and DVR the latest episode of RAW.

IMO, they are trying to make AJ bigger than he already is, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Abyss isn't a monster anymore, which takes the purpose away from him. And Joe is past his best years, but still a contender. Apparantly Bischoff isn't all that high on Daniels or Eric Young. WTF? Those guys are extremely talented...They are being underused to none other than Scott Hall and X-Pac. I'd understand a little if they were there to mentor the younger talent, but this is Scott Hall and Pac we're tlaking about. Also, I heard the reason Booker T left was cause he wouldn't let Matt Morgan go over him...

I like KBlack's stance on the PG era, but IMO, i think Vince only cares about making money, and they won't go back to the attitude era. If John Cena was a rapper again, I'd care for him. I can't exaggerate how much i ****ing hate the little green midget on RAW as well.

Oh, and Christian deserves a World Championship. Vince needs to pull the trigger on this. WWE had messed up too much on their young talent, and while Christian is not exactly young, he is quite possibly the best all around guy they have on the whole roster. (I might be overrating him a little, if not the best, one of them).

Only thing I love what WWE is doing right now is CM Punk's stable.

You basically said almost everything that I had in mind about TNA bringing in all of these old wrestling characters from WWE.I personally feel that there should be a retirement rule in wrestling in which a wrestler is forced to retire after he reaches a certain age or stage in his career.I know most guys don't become superstars until around the age of 30 but I feel that if you've already accomplished everything that needs to be accomplished in the wrestling industry and are past the age of 45 you shouldn't be eligible to wrestler in main events anymore.The problem with these old wrestlers is that their egos are too big and they're not aware that their days of being in the spot light were over a long time ago.You can't bring in a group of guys, whose best days were decades ago, to a wrestling company and expect positive results.There are good reasons why the WWE lets go of these guys.

As for TNA fans watching WWE programs.Is there even such a thing as a true TNA fan or a true WWE fan? I could understand a WWE fan boy or a TNA fan boy but aren't most wrestling viewers bandwagoners who jump on the bandwagon of whatever company is popular? I remember people jumping back and forth on the bandwagons of WCW and WWF during the late 90's.And as soon as WWF reached it's peek in the year 2000 more than six million people were sitting on their bandwagon.It's hard to call yourself a fan of something that is so scripted and gimmicky like pro wrestling.

Good to see that TNA isn't taking any kind of garbage from wrestlers like Booker T who put their personal egos over what's best for the overall company.Most of these guys are big crybabies and throw major tantrums when everything doesn't go their way.These guys are being paid good money to entertain fans and create the best possible show but they have trouble doing a simple thing like losing a match to another wrestler.Has it ever occurred to these guys that they're millions of people that would sacrifice their entire lives just to be in the position that they have the privilege of being in? Yet these wrestlers are afraid of losing matches because they don't want to end up feeling humiliated or disrespected.I hope Booker T learns his lesson if he goes back to the WWE and Vince McMahon gets him to do that ridiculous King Booker gimmick again.

Vince McMahon has always cared about making money.Back in the early 1980's, when he was first starting out, he would go around and steal talent from other organizations around the country.He didn't care about his father's will at the time.He also suffered through a period of paranoia in the 90's after the WWF started to lose their money and talent due to their steroid scandal.He's the type of person that will absorb all the talent and marketing power of a wrestler in order to gain the most money out of him and then he will leave that wrestler out to dry afterward.He did it with Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Stone Cold Steve Austin.The reason why he doesn't do it with Triple H is because that's his son in law.I doubt Vince McMahon cares about what's best for his fans as long as he makes a large profit from them.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
StreetDreams - I agree 150% with you on CM Punk. I don't really watch Smackdown (as its on Friday night), but what I've seen from him has been fantastic. Really enjoying that gimmick.

Starky - interesting stuff about Hogan/Nash and you are absolutely right. The two of them (and Hall, to a lesser extent) were the cause of the rise of WCW, but also the cause of the fall. The fact is, Hogan shows up, and refuses to put anybody over. Now, he put over The Rock, Stone Cold, those guys because he saw those guys as equal to him. But on his second return to the WWE, he refused to go over for HBK, refused to put any young talent over. If the Hogan that has to win every time is the Hogan that has shown up, you can start counting down TNA's days.

There is ONE way I think TNA CAN do well.

They have to move to Monday Night, live and go right up against Raw...you may think it's a death sentence but hear me out.

Part of the allure of the Monday Night wars was switching back and forth, seeing what was going on on Raw, then flipping to Nitro. When I watched the Raw that went up against Impact, I felt like it was the old days again, it was a good feeling.

You will get people who normally tune into Raw saying, "Hmmm...let me check out what's going on on Impact," during the commercials. People who tune into Raw are already interested in the product of wrestling, as you alluded to Starky. It's not that they are "WWE-fans" or "TNA-fans", as you said there's really no such thing. They are wrestling fans. I think people will tune in Monday Nights, even just for a few minutes, to see what's going on. And once you get them in for a few minutes, you CAN hook them.

But TNA needs to work on their booking. That Monday night, when Impact went live against Raw, a friend of mine who was a HUGE wrestling fan in the day tuned into the first hour of Impact that went on from 8-9. He said they had an hour to hook him. But in that hour they had 2 matches, both of which were horrible and neither of which ended in a true winner. TNA had a golden opportunity there, TNA HAS talent. SHOWCASE it. You know people are interested, tuning in from 8-9. Hook them. Jeff Hardy showing up in the first hour hooks nobody that wouldn't already be interested in the product.

TNA's booking decisions are beyond crazy. While I think WWE has obviously made some mistakes of their own, they make a lot of right ones. TNA does not.

Paul1355

All Star
Mankind!

Does anybody remember Mankind? That dude was crazy...sad how he almost died from falling three stories off a steel cage and landing on a table to break his back or something like that.

Those were the good old days of wrestling. Its so fake now. Its just actors acting. Im shocked to see so many fans that still sell out the arenas.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Does anybody remember Mankind? That dude was crazy...sad how he almost died from falling three stories off a steel cage and landing on a table to break his back or something like that.

Those were the good old days of wrestling. Its so fake now. Its just actors acting. Im shocked to see so many fans that still sell out the arenas.

You do know that when Mankind fell off the cage and the paramedics came to him, it was all staged?

johnstarky

Rotation player
StreetDreams - I agree 150% with you on CM Punk. I don't really watch Smackdown (as its on Friday night), but what I've seen from him has been fantastic. Really enjoying that gimmick.

Starky - interesting stuff about Hogan/Nash and you are absolutely right. The two of them (and Hall, to a lesser extent) were the cause of the rise of WCW, but also the cause of the fall. The fact is, Hogan shows up, and refuses to put anybody over. Now, he put over The Rock, Stone Cold, those guys because he saw those guys as equal to him. But on his second return to the WWE, he refused to go over for HBK, refused to put any young talent over. If the Hogan that has to win every time is the Hogan that has shown up, you can start counting down TNA's days.

There is ONE way I think TNA CAN do well.

They have to move to Monday Night, live and go right up against Raw...you may think it's a death sentence but hear me out.

Part of the allure of the Monday Night wars was switching back and forth, seeing what was going on on Raw, then flipping to Nitro. When I watched the Raw that went up against Impact, I felt like it was the old days again, it was a good feeling.

You will get people who normally tune into Raw saying, "Hmmm...let me check out what's going on on Impact," during the commercials. People who tune into Raw are already interested in the product of wrestling, as you alluded to Starky. It's not that they are "WWE-fans" or "TNA-fans", as you said there's really no such thing. They are wrestling fans. I think people will tune in Monday Nights, even just for a few minutes, to see what's going on. And once you get them in for a few minutes, you CAN hook them.

But TNA needs to work on their booking. That Monday night, when Impact went live against Raw, a friend of mine who was a HUGE wrestling fan in the day tuned into the first hour of Impact that went on from 8-9. He said they had an hour to hook him. But in that hour they had 2 matches, both of which were horrible and neither of which ended in a true winner. TNA had a golden opportunity there, TNA HAS talent. SHOWCASE it. You know people are interested, tuning in from 8-9. Hook them. Jeff Hardy showing up in the first hour hooks nobody that wouldn't already be interested in the product.

TNA's booking decisions are beyond crazy. While I think WWE has obviously made some mistakes of their own, they make a lot of right ones. TNA does not.

Here is my list of people who I don't believe belong in TNA.

Hulk Hogan

Kevin Nash

Scott Hall

Sean Waltman

Sean Morley

Orlando Jordan

the Nasty Boys

I would keep guys like Ric Flair, Mick Foley and Sting just so they could help out the younger wrestlers.That's why I think it is a smart idea that Ric Flair works along side A.J Styles just like he did with Evolution in WWE.

As for TNA Impact being moved to Monday Nights, they already are negotiating with Spike TV on a deal.It will just be a matter of time that they'll be going up against Monday Night Raw.Hopefully they put up better shows this time around and stay away from copying old WWE story lines.

Paul1355

All Star
Here is my list of people who I don't believe belong in TNA.

Hulk Hogan

Kevin Nash

Scott Hall

Sean Waltman

Sean Morley

Orlando Jordan

the Nasty Boys

I would keep guys like Ric Flair, Mick Foley and Sting just so they could help out the younger wrestlers.That's why I think it is a smart idea that Ric Flair works along side A.J Styles just like he did with Evolution in WWE.

As for TNA Impact being moved to Monday Nights, they already are negotiating with Spike TV on a deal.It will just be a matter of time that they'll be going up against Monday Night Raw.Hopefully they put up better shows this time around and stay away from copying old WWE story lines.

Sting was the man...

johnstarky

Rotation player
Sting was the man...

Sting is the only WCW wrestler that never sold out to Vince McMahon.Even though he is 50 years old he can still wrestler almost as good as he did when he was in his 30's.Scott Hall needs to get advice from Sting on how to stay in shape.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Sting is the only WCW wrestler that never sold out to Vince McMahon.Even though he is 50 years old he can still wrestler almost as good as he did when he was in his 30's.Scott Hall needs to get advice from Sting on how to stay in shape.

Scott Hall also needs advice from CM Punk how how to start being sober.

I'll make a long response to what everyone said later.