Game Thread: New York Knicks @ New Orleans Pelicans 4/14/2021 7:30 pm [Game #56]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

NYK.gif
at.png
NOP.gif

(28-27) -- (25-29)

VenueTVTIME
Smoothie King Center, New Orleans, LAMSG*0 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksNew Orleans Pelicans
Mitchell Robinson - foot surgery (OUT)James Johnson - Sore right wrist (QUEST)
John Henson - Strained right calf (QUEST)Lonzo Ball -Lleft hip flexor (DOUBT)
-Josh Hart - Right thumb torn UCL surgery (OUT)

Game Preview

The New Orleans Pelicans and the New York Knicks each have won three games in a row as they prepare to meet twice in five days, beginning with a Wednesday night matchup in New Orleans.

Zion Williamson has averaged 35 points during the Pelicans' three-game streak. In Monday's a 117-110 victory over Sacramento, Williams scored 30 points and Brandon Ingram had 34.

"I love playing with Brandon," Williamson said. "He's a great player. I think we complement each other very well. When it's time to win, we both know what we've got to do."

Both Williamson (averaging 26.8 points) and Ingram (24.0) have missed time recently because of injury, but the Pelicans are 9-3 in the last 12 games they have both played. It was the fourth time this season they have both scored 30-plus points in the same game.

"Zion was doing what Zion does," Ingram said. "We just did what we needed to do down the stretch."

The Pelicans led the Kings by 23 points at halftime and saw the lead shrink to four late in the game. Not only were they finishing a back-to-back, but they were also playing their eighth game in 12 days.

"I said to my wife today before I left the house, 'I hope our players aren't as tired as I am,'" New Orleans coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I don't even run up and down the court. The whole season has been a grind, but that's a grueling schedule. I think that showed in the second half."

New York completed a three-game homestand Monday night with a 111-96 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

Julius Randle had 34 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Knicks in the start of consecutive games against Randle's former teams. He played his first four seasons with the Lakers and played with the Pelicans for one season before joining the Knicks before last season.

"(The Lakers) are a good defensive team, and I was just aggressive from the start," Randle said, "and it's important early on the second night of a back-to-back to bring energy. And that's what I tried to do."

Another former Pelican, Elfrid Payton, scored 20 points and Derrick Rose added 14 off the bench for the Knicks.

"There's ups and downs in a season, and you have to keep going," New York coach Tom Thibodeau said. "If you get knocked down, dust yourself off, get up and come back with more fight and grit. That's what this team has. It has a togetherness and a belief that we can get it done."

The Knicks outrebounded the Lakers 47-33, and posted season highs by forcing 24 turnovers and recording 14 steals.

"I think, in general, it's an important step for our team to take, to start with our defense," Thibodeau said. "We wanted that to be a big part of our foundation. Hopefully that's something that you can count on each and every night is your defense, rebounding."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... This is going to be a fun Game to watch ..
PF-Julius -vs- PF-Zion leading the point on offense all game .. Randle should have the edge lol

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... This is going to be a fun Game to watch ..
PF-Julius -vs- PF-Zion leading the point on offense all game .. Randle should have the edge lol

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time .. Knicks 53 - Pelicans 52

Randle's missed shot on the Knicks last 5 offensive possession did not help the 11 pt lead the knicks had in 2nd qtr. Zion went coast to coast in the Pels 7-0 run.

Tied 89 - 89 late in the 3rd. This is not our type of game. Too much scoring. If our defense doesn?t start getting more stops, we are going to have trouble keeping up.

Under Thibs, the Knicks aren?t afraid to be aggressive. Pelicans try to have Zion run the point to close the 3rd and Knicks double team him with Obi and Burks. Leads to the only turnover of the 3rd quarter for either team. Knicks lead by 4 going into the 4th.

24 seconds to go. Knicks lead by 10.

After allowing 37 points in the 3rd quarter, Knicks have only allowed 17 points through 11 and a half minutes in the 4th. Defense really stepped it up.

mafra

Legend
I?m in shock. Wow! 4 in a row!!! We beat the bad teams, and we beat the average teams too! That?s a step in the right direction.

Great win. We need to accumulate wins to survive May. 7th seed baby!!!

I actually had faith and put 5 on the good guys.

mafra

Legend
We may be 30th in pace... but we ran it tonight. Credit AB. I was harsh on him
Last game but he was clutch tonight.

Zion got RJ this matchup but we won!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Our Defense has stepped-up to the next level during these 4 Game Win Streak .. Tonight, our defense stepped up every time we needed it in the 2nd half. Great Knicks WIN !!!

mafra

Legend
We may be 30th in pace... but we ran it tonight. Credit AB. I was harsh on him
Last game but he was clutch tonight.

Zion got RJ this matchup but we won!!!