Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Portland Trail Blazers 7:30 11/27/2017 [Game #20]

tiger0330

Legend
Ntilikina has been miserable on offense, but at least when he is in the game Portland can?t just stroll to the hoop. Hornacek actually has resorted to using Sessions because Jack is getting destroyed on defense.
Jack has been pathetic fighting through those screens. He's no more than a stop gap and probably won't even be here next year, I'm for taking the kid gloves off and playing the kid.

mafra

Legend
No heart and no emotion tonight. No defense. Our bench is really hurting this team right now. KP going from All-NBA to just a solid player and THJr morphing back into a role player.

Anyway.... every loss is music to my ears. Top 7 pick or bust!

mafra

Legend
NYK start 4th on a 14-0 run. Show some life. Might've been a better run but Beasley, Timmy, Frank missing a ton of open looks.

mafra

Legend
We need a PG that can do this.

I think NYK decided Ntikilina had a higher ceiling than Mitchell. I'm sure they realized DM was the better player right now.... I think they made the pick projecting who they felt would be the better player in 3 years.

mafra

Legend
91-78 with 5 left and Timmy misses both FTs. Rebound comes right to WHG, and the bum misses and uncontested putback from 2 feet. Doesn't get uglier than that.

mafra

Legend
Timmy missing everything tonight. Horn puts KP back in with 4 left... why? If KP comes back in at the 8 minute mark... NYK had a chance to pull this off. But he didn't, and MB and THJr misses too many isolation shots.

mafra

Legend
Rookie won't stop chucking and I wish he would.... 3-11 and most misses were ugly.

Had NY put together a 30+ fourth quarter they win the game. So far, 26-8 Ny in the 4th.

Can't wait to hear from Horn why KP sat most of the 4th.

tiger0330

Legend
Rookie won't stop chucking and I wish he would.... 3-11 and most misses were ugly.

Had NY put together a 30+ fourth quarter they win the game. So far, 26-8 Ny in the 4th.

Can't wait to hear from Horn why KP sat most of the 4th.
I think Horn laid into him after the last 3 he took. I think Horn took away his green light after that one. He has to be under 30% on 3s and that's all he shoots.

mafra

Legend
Inexcusable that McDermott has 2 shots.... KP only 16 shots. Ntikilina missed 8 of 11 shots and had only 1 assist.

Beasley is an awful player. That turnover on a fastbreak was pathetic. He simply handed it off to the other team. Wow.

Anyway.... Frank had zero steals. 3rd game in 4 nights might've hurt.... but I'm not seeing any improvement in the rookie's game. Might be time to take away playing time to teach him a lesson.

tiger0330

Legend
I think Horn laid into him after the last 3 he took. I think Horn took away his green light after that one. He has to be under 30% on 3s and that's all he shoots.
Horn talking about he didn't like that last 3 Frank took in his post game. Said he wasn't looking for a quick 3 off a drag screen in transition esp by a rookie. He's a 27% 3 pt shooter btw.

mafra

Legend
Thanks to Romeo Travis, who played with Ntilikina in France and was a high school teammate of James, the two NBA players no longer have beef, which started when James said the Knicks should have drafted Dennis Smith Jr. over Ntilikina and boiled over into the Nov. 13 Knicks-Cavaliers game when the rookie Ntilikina shoved James and started an altercation on the court.

"I reached out to LeBron to make sure there was no hard feelings between Frank and him and let him know Frank was my guy," Travis said, according to Berman. "[LeBron] said it's not personal between them. He's just so positive about Dennis Smith and negative toward the Knicks front office."

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
We have no Center, Q is not a starting center, and with Kantar out nobody bother to grab an offensive rebound..... they do not even try.....

and1

Rotation player
yeah there's a lot of things going on right now. first and foremost we are obviously missing kanter in a big way.
not sure why thomas has been getting so few minutes lately. he did after all play a big part in those comeback wins we got not too long ago.
i didn't actually watch the game, i'm just going by what i heard on the radio. they mentioned that the energy level seemed low at the start of the game. i hope they're not getting spoiled and lazy from all the praise they were getting from that nice streak they went on earlier this month. hopefully they figure it out. if not, then they're going to get crushed when the schedule gets a lot tougher not too long from now and there's the hope they'll get a high pick this summer.
i don't think we should bench frank. i think that would be a mistake. let him learn from his mistakes with experience.

Kiyaman

Legend
Horn talking about he didn't like that last 3 Frank took in his post game. Said he wasn't looking for a quick 3 off a drag screen in transition esp by a rookie. He's a 27% 3 pt shooter btw.

Horn's tier-3 coaching has been showing throughout the DNP Kanter .. the bench players has no plan or design system other than one-on-one ball when on the court.
The 4 bench players (Mcderm/Quinn/Lance/Frank) that Horn has been using in the rotation has average 15 minute of playing-time throughout the past 16 games in different lineups having 2 or more starters in the lineup. Three of the bench players (Mcderm/Lance/Frank) has been playing well on the court having Kanter or Quinn in their lineup.
All PG create a better performance for their team when they have that countable big-man on court to tandem with in a lineup to dish the ball to in the post or perimeter, or to create a screen/pick for the PG to go around to take a quick look at the format of opponent defense, Plus depends on their big-man on defense to call out opponents screen or picks sets. Why have Willy aka WHG clueless of all the factors above?

Having a healthy veteran experience Noah on the roster and on the court at every practice could teach all our young core players what to expect from the a reliable skilled Big-Man on offense n defense during every practice session.
Our Bench-Players should have much more confidence than what they been showing on the court .. but for some reason the Bench are not all that thrilled bout playing for coach Hornacek.

Kiyaman

Legend
We have no Center, Q is not a starting center, and with Kantar out nobody bother to grab an offensive rebound..... they do not even try.....

Westbrook .. OKC Thunders 8-11 record has been missing Kanters big-body n skillful performance in their rotation in their last 19 games. Last season it was difficult for OKC starting the season playing small-ball without Durant n Ibaka, but OKC stayed above a .500 team all season having two reliable big-men in Adams n Kanter to have a 47 win season.

We dont have a super-star Westbrook on our Knicks roster but we do have two experience reliable starter Big-Men centers in Kanter and Noah on the roster, plus a strong-forward in Quinn on the bench.
PG-Jack n SG-Cee are two decent starters who should average close to 26 minute of playing-time.
To be honest we dont have any forwards on our roster skillful enough to be starters or finishers ..
NBA sports announcers keep hyping up KP as if KP is not a big project player .. the 30 pt performances were all good but as the NBA goes on our opponents performance gets more n more physical, that's when KP performance repeatedly shows he's still a project bench-player.
Tim Hardaway Jr. contract and performance dont match because Tim skills are still a decent bench role-player in this league.
We are depending on Hornacek this season .....

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Westbrook .. OKC Thunders 8-11 record has been missing Kanters big-body n skillful performance in their rotation in their last 19 games. Last season it was difficult for OKC starting the season playing small-ball without Durant n Ibaka, but OKC stayed above a .500 team all season having two reliable big-men in Adams n Kanter to have a 47 win season.

We dont have a super-star Westbrook on our Knicks roster but we do have two experience reliable starter Big-Men centers in Kanter and Noah on the roster, plus a strong-forward in Quinn on the bench.
PG-Jack n SG-Cee are two decent starters who should average close to 26 minute of playing-time.
To be honest we dont have any forwards on our roster skillful enough to be starters or finishers ..
NBA sports announcers keep hyping up KP as if KP is not a big project player .. the 30 pt performances were all good but as the NBA goes on our opponents performance gets more n more physical, that's when KP performance repeatedly shows he's still a project bench-player.
Tim Hardaway Jr. contract and performance dont match because Tim skills are still a decent bench role-player in this league.
We are depending on Hornacek this season .....

i agree with most, but i don't agree that KP is not a starting player in our team, maybe he needs to be better, but he proved that he is good and till now he didn't have a bad game or a game that he showed immaturity .... the worst time he was a very good player (not star).

I hope Noah will step up this year to back up Kanter.