Ten Changes Knicks must make, if they want to make the playoffs in 2012.

Should Mike D'Antoni be fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Sadly, the 2010-2011 season has come to an end.

The Knicks have lost to several injury depleted teams, including the Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Houston Rockets.

This team is not going to the playoffs.

I knew they weren't going to make it before the season even started, and their inability to beat lottery teams has confirmed this.

Boomer Esiason said it the best. On his show, he said the Knicks weren't going to make the playoffs, because they have two rookies in their starting lineup.

Here's 10 changes the Knicks must make, if they're going to make the 2012 playoffs.

1. Do right by Patrick Ewing.

The Knicks have been cursed, ever since they did Ewing dirty and traded him for Glenn Rice and Shandon Anderson.
The Knicks had 3 chances to hire Ewing as a head coach or as an assistant, and they refused to hire him.
Patrick Ewing jr was denied a spot on the team for the sake of scrubs like Anthony Roberson, Mardy Collins, Roger Mason Jr., Andy Rautins, and Shawne Williams.

2. Fire Mike D'Antoni.

This is his 3rd year with the Knicks, and the team still hasn't matched Isiah Thomas' 33 win season that he had with Eddy Curry as the star of the team. That's a disgrace.

3. Fire Donnie Walsh
He promised the team was going to improve by 2010, but the team still sucks. He traded 2 first round picks for Tracy McGrady. Enuff said.

4. Establish Amare Stoudemire down low.
Stoudemire is a solid post up player. The Knicks need to feed him the ball in the low post, so that the defense is forced to double team him and players get open looks.

5. Play a half court offense.
Raymond Felton is a half court player. He does his best, when playing under a slow paced system.

6. Bench Danilo Gallinari. He sucks.

7. Hold on to your draft picks.
It's bad enough that the Knicks don't have a good draft pick until 2013. Don't F up the situation more by trading away more picks.

8. Keep the good players; dump the bad players.
The #1 reason why this team still sucks is because Walsh butchered the team. He got rid of the team's best scorers, so the team had to work from scratch. Hold on to Amare Stoudemire(All Star level player), Landry Fields(Good rookie), Raymond Felton(Good half court player), Wilson Chandler(Good role player), Timofey Mozgov(Good back up center). Get rid of the low performing players(anyone not mentioned).

9. Use your cap space wisely. Don't just hand someone a 100 million dollar contract, unless it's Carmelo Anthony.
It's better to sign 3 or 4 good low post players/shooters than to sign one big name.

10. Don't try to buy a championship. Make realistic goals for the team. The Knicks haven't been to the playoffs since 2004, so the goal should be to get to the playoffs FIRST, THEN win a championship AFTER the team has ESTABLISHED itself as a WINNING team.

iJoe

Rotation player
I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate posts like this. Get rid of our GM coach and players, yet magically find great replacements without destroying our future. Get some magic beans while we're at it.

I don't agree with a lot of what the Knicks have done, but I understand that its a complicated game and an extremely convoluted contract system.

1. Let me state that Ewing has done absolutely NOTHING to deserve any kind of coaching position. Doing nothing for Dwight's game doesn't count. He was a talented player, but was never known for being smart or clutch. With the tools he had, he could have been much much better. I'm tired of players whining and expecting to be handed coaching positions without any resume to speak of. Playing favorites and hiring his son is the dumbest thing to do. What the heck would that change besides your imagined "curse" Why hasn't every other team in the league signed him yet?

2. Dantoni is far down my list of favorite coaches, but who would you replace him with? At the very least, we can thank him for making NY a more desirable place since the players all would love to play under him. He's still making a ton of money and honestly there aren't many coaches who would have much more success with such a new and young team.

3. Walsh did what few GMs in the league expected he could do. Everyone pleaded with the guy not to take this shiit job since Isiah had done such thorough work of destroying our cap. Its one of the hardest jobs to take and at least he wasn't afraid to step up to it. He's done an admirable job and did the best he could do. He's made some mistakes, but at least he owned up to it. I fukkin hate people who crack on his draft picks. Hindsight is always 20/20 and a hellova lot more GMs have made far far worse picks. Pretending you could have done better is a joke.

4. Amare is NOT a post player.... I really wish he was. He's deadly on the pick and when driving with a decent jumper to fall back on. Doesn't have great passing ability and takes a long time to learn. A coach can't force him to be what hes not. He has a major weakness and its his job to develop himself.

5. Unfortunately, we seem to really suck when we're in the half court. This team is too new and the players have not grown comfortable with each other. In fact, we seem to be at our worst when the game slows down. Whether its coaching, or players just not adjusting, its a very young team that has just been put together. We should definitely spend some more time on it, but right now we're designed to run.

6. Gallo is definitely in a slump. Whether is the sophomore slump or not (first year doesn't count) someone needs to slap him and get some passion in his play. Every player in the world goes through a slump, but he needs to concentrate on doing other things better if his jumper isn't working and not hand his head.

7. You can't ask to keep draft picks yet trade for game changers. Its either we force ourselves to develop or gamble our picks to win now.

8. Again.... this doesn't make sense. Trade the players in a slump for what?? Who would want them at their worst? Are we to dump them for nothing? You make being a GM sound so easy.

9. Who on the market would you have signed? Its easy say broad blanket statements like this. How do you attract a player to sign on your team over someone else?

10. You're preaching that we should be patient, yet at the same time contradicting yourself by saying we should blow this team up. If you want to be realistic, then make realistic theories on how we can improve.

Its easy to stand back and criticize when we're losing. Its even easier to make broad statements like
"dont destroy our cap"
"get rid of bad players, bring in good players"
"its all the coach's fault"
"its all the GM's fault"
"draft better"
"trade for a superstar"

Its fine to criticize since we definitely need to improve, but we need to find realistic and more specific ways to do it. A super young team like ours is always going to have major growing pains. Everyone expected it, but when it occurs we go nuts.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate posts like this. Get rid of our GM coach and players, yet magically find great replacements without destroying our future. Get some magic beans while we're at it.

I don't agree with a lot of what the Knicks have done, but I understand that its a complicated game and an extremely convoluted contract system.

1. Let me state that Ewing has done absolutely NOTHING to deserve any kind of coaching position. Doing nothing for Dwight's game doesn't count. He was a talented player, but was never known for being smart or clutch. With the tools he had, he could have been much much better. I'm tired of players whining and expecting to be handed coaching positions without any resume to speak of. Playing favorites and hiring his son is the dumbest thing to do. What the heck would that change besides your imagined "curse" Why hasn't every other team in the league signed him yet?

2. Dantoni is far down my list of favorite coaches, but who would you replace him with? At the very least, we can thank him for maki

ng NY a more desirable place since the players all would love to play under him. He's still making a ton of money and honestly there aren't many coaches who would have much more success with such a new and young team.

3. Walsh did what few GMs in the league expected he could do. Everyone pleaded with the guy not to take this shiit job since Isiah had done such thorough work of destroying our cap. Its one of the hardest jobs to take and at least he wasn't afraid to step up to it. He's done an admirable job and did the best he could do. He's made some mistakes, but at least he owned up to it. I fukkin hate people who crack on his draft picks. Hindsight is always 20/20 and a hellova lot more GMs have made far far worse picks. Pretending you could have done better is a joke.

4. Amare is NOT a post player.... I really wish he was. He's deadly on the pick and when driving with a decent jumper to fall back on. Doesn't have great passing ability and takes a long time to learn. A coach can't force him to be what hes not. He has a major weakness and its his job to develop himself.

5. Unfortunately, we seem to really suck when we're in the half court. This team is too new and the players have not grown comfortable with each other. In fact, we seem to be at our worst when the game slows down. Whether its coaching, or players just not adjusting, its a very young team that has just been put together. We should definitely spend some more time on it, but right now we're designed to run.

6. Gallo is definitely in a slump. Whether is the sophomore slump or not (first year doesn't count) someone needs to slap him and get some passion in his .

In other words, you like having Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh destroy the Knicks?

Where did I say we should blow this team up?

Read my post more carefully.

I said Walsh destroyed the team by trading everyone, and I clearly stated the Knicks should keep Stoudemire, Felton, Chandler, Mozgov, and Fields.

Read the thread before commenting, unless you actually believe in a coach and GM who has done nothing for this team, since coming here, besides trading away 1st round picks and drafting Italian scrubs.

smokes

Huge Member

The Knicks have lost to several injury depleted teams, including the Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Houston Rockets.

I knew they weren't going to make it before the season even started, and their inability to beat lottery teams has confirmed this.

Boomer Esiason said it the best. On his show, he said the Knicks weren't going to make the playoffs, because they have two rookies in their starting lineup.

Here's 10 changes the Knicks must make, if they're going to make the 2012 playoffs.

The Knicks have been cursed, ever since they did Ewing dirty and traded him for Glenn Rice and Shandon Anderson.
The Knicks had 3 chances to hire Ewing as a head coach or as an assistant, and they refused to hire him.
Patrick Ewing jr was denied a spot on the team for the sake of scrubs like Anthony Roberson, Mardy Collins, Roger Mason Jr., Andy Rautins, and Shawne Williams.

2. Fire Mike D'Antoni.

This is his 3rd year with the Knicks, and the team still hasn't matched Isiah Thomas' 33 win season that he had with Eddy Curry as the star of the team. That's a disgrace.

3. Fire Donnie Walsh
He promised the team was going to improve by 2010, but the team still sucks. He traded 2 first round picks for Tracy McGrady. Enuff said.

Stoudemire is a solid post up player. The Knicks need to feed him the ball in the low post, so that the defense is forced to double team him and players get open looks.

Raymond Felton is a half court player. He does his best, when playing under a slow paced system.

It's bad enough that the Knicks don't have a good draft pick until 2013. Don't F up the situation more by trading away more picks.

The #1 reason why this team still sucks is because Walsh butchered the team. He got rid of the team's best scorers, so the team had to work from scratch. Hold on to Amare Stoudemire(All Star level player), Landry Fields(Good rookie), Raymond Felton(Good half court player), Wilson Chandler(Good role player), Timofey Mozgov(Good back up center). Get rid of the low performing players(anyone not mentioned).

9. Use your cap space wisely. Don't just hand someone a 100 million dollar contract, unless it's Carmelo Anthony.
It's better to sign 3 or 4 good low post players/shooters than to sign one big name.

10. Don't try to buy a championship. Make realistic goals for the team. The Knicks haven't been to the playoffs since 2004, so the goal should be to get to the playoffs FIRST, THEN win a championship AFTER the team has ESTABLISHED itself as a WINNING team.

Good post but I disagree with a few of the points. Let's discuss.

1. Not sure if we have any hope of getting Ewing to fill a spot on our coaching staff but if we do then we should. Apart from anything else the Knicks legacy is a hard-nosed defensive team that battles to win games. Regardless of the current state of the NBA where a lot of teams predicate their success on their offense, the truly successful teams also play solid defense. Our only decent defense is team defense, our only good defensive players right now are Chandler and Turiaf, both bench players. Agreed (and bring back PEJ as a 8mpg defensive role player).

2. Yeah, D'antoni's time here is up. He is not a good fit for this team and I don't believe in his coaching style. Although it seems a bit harsh considering our new young team is yet to gel we can't afford to waste 1-2 more years of trying to get a team that fits D'antoni. Get a coach who can grow with this young team and help our players improve, not a coach who tries to shoehorn players to filling his defined roles.

3. Not sure about firing Walsh I'm still not convinced he's made any huge errors as our GM but he's certainly been too passive as the GM leaving much of the decision making to D'antoni which is pretty unforgivable. If there was a good candidate I'd say replace him.

4. Can't disagree with that, solid fundamental basketball.

5. If we have a coach that knows how to play half court sets and designed plays, yes.

6. Don't think we should bench him. He isn't a spark off the bench like Chandler/Douglas. We need to have energy players ready to come in to fill the void when our second unit is in action. I prefer Chandler coming off the bench to Gallinari even though I think Chandler is a better player.

7. Could be too little too late but yes, we need to stop giving these away in view of immediate success.

8. Yes but I think you missed a couple of players there. Turiaf and Douglas should definitely be kept. Gallo should be traded for a good draft pick or in a deal for a solid starter. Rest of our team can go.

9. I wouldn't even give Carmelo a 100 million dollar contract especially considering our PG situation. We've already seen one superstar decline on our team after leaving behind his all-star PG. Not particularly interested in dumping 100 mill on Melo when he's going to come and play with Felton instead of Billups (although Melo can at least create his own shot very well, and he will have Stat here to take the pressure off).

10. Yeah, playoffs in 2012 if we can get rid of the dead weight.

KingCharles34

All Star
5 star thread from ABCD

The only thing i sorta disagree with is bringin Ewing in a coach...Like iJoe said Ewing hasnt really done that much with Dwight. But then again, Hakeem also worked with Dwight and has D12 been doing anything different this year? From what I have seen in the boxscores, it doesnt appear so. Maybe Dwight just doesnt have it in him to become a more skilled offensive player. And Ewing did play while being coached by legends like Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy. I believe he also played for Doc Rivers at the end of his career

Im a little bit unsure about Walsh but he looks too sick and flabby to be working at this point of his life. Im just worried bout his health....he did gamble too much away waiting for Lebrons decision. I have always liked Walsh but i cant front on that. I do believe that Dantoni influenced some of Walsh's decisions, think for yourself Donnie!! your better then this!!

Its sad that we're all looking to 2012 for the playoffs now...its sad that were in this position again. I personally think the biggest problems have been heart, urgency, and coaching. If Antoni or another coach (preferably) could get these guys to play harder...actually, i think its ronny turiaf we really miss. That guy doesnt have a drop of b*tch in him. I heard he actually doesnt have a X chromosome

Paul1355

All Star
agree with everything except I'd keep Walsh and I disagree that Felton is better in the half court....have you seen Felton in the half court?

He cant find Amare the basketball and he basically does nothing if he doesn't hit the outside shot.

Felton is great when he runs full speed on fastbreaks.

Donnie has done everything to get under the cap and bring MIke D type players, which he has for the most part but Mike D has failed with his no defense mentality.

iJoe

Rotation player
In other words, you like having Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh destroy the Knicks?

I said Walsh destroyed the team by trading everyone, and I clearly stated the Knicks should keep Stoudemire, Felton, Chandler, Mozgov, and Fields.

Read the thread before commenting, unless you actually believe in a coach and GM who has done nothing for this team, since coming here, besides trading away 1st round picks and drafting Italian scrubs.

If you read my thread carefully, you would know that I'm just asking for specifics as opposed to just blanket statements that we should replace all those parts.

Keeping 5 players and trading/releasing everyone else is pretty much blowing up the team. Theres absolutely no feasible way to do this unless you want to sign a bunch of D leaguers and free agents.

jpz17

Starter

Compare this team to the team of 2007-2008. Also, please remember you said trading a first round picks. It was a first round pick. You also said drafting Italian scrubs. It would be Italian scrub, yet he is one of the most highly touted players for his age. He is ranked near the best young players in the game with GOBS of potential. Now, say you wanna trash Anthony Randolph, I say that is a fantastic idea at the deadline. Deal him for a first round pick. I don't like him a bit.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
agree with everything except I'd keep Walsh and I disagree that Felton is better in the half court....have you seen Felton in the half court?

He cant find Amare the basketball and he basically does nothing if he doesn't hit the outside shot.

Felton is great when he runs full speed on fastbreaks.

Donnie has done everything to get under the cap and bring MIke D type players, which he has for the most part but Mike D has failed with his no defense mentality.

You have a good point, but Felton made the playoffs in Charlotte with a half court offense.

If you read my thread carefully, you would know that I'm just asking for specifics as opposed to just blanket statements that we should replace all those parts.

Keeping 5 players and trading/releasing everyone else is pretty much blowing up the team. Theres absolutely no feasible way to do this unless you want to sign a bunch of D leaguers and free agents.

The Knicks have an entirely new roster.

Walsh has already blown up the team.

The Knicks are already full of D Leagers and free agents.

My solution is to fire the cancers who created this mess(D'Antoni and Walsh), hire a defensive minded coach(Ex: Patrick Ewing, Scott Skiles, Lenny Wilkins, Jeff Van Gundy, etc) hire a GM who makes their own decisions and doesn't obey the coach like a slave the way Walsh has these last 2 1/2 years, keep the best players on the team(Stoudemire, Felton, Chandler), keep the young developing talent(Fields, Mozgov, Azubuike-if he can stay healthy), throw the scrubs in a garbage can(Eddy Curry, Andy Rottens, Danilo Gallinari, Bill Walker, Shawne Williams, Roger Mason Jr., etc.).

p0nder

Starter
A lot of good points from abcd. I know he hates how the team is currently run and would like a return to the hard nosed thugged out basketball we played in the 90's that saw our team go to two NBA finals appearances. That was a fun time for knicks fans, though we still didn't get to the promised land...

1. P. Ewing is one of the greatest Knicks ever. Not having him on our Payroll is a shame, but it will never undo the past. It has so very little to do with our current and future success that I'm really unsure why you wanted to open the list with this. It is really telling of your priorities.

2. If Mike D can not find the playoffs this season I think he needs to be fired. It's do or die Mike. If he does get this team to the playoffs, we would be hard pressed to get rid of him.

3. Donnie Walsh is a good GM with a firm understanding of the business of basketball. However, I don't see him continuing here for much longer, depending on his health. He has made some mistakes but I am more concerned that his replacement will be Issiah. For now, lets take the lesser of two evils.

4. Amar'e needs to be more established on the pick'n'roll and in the high post where he thrives. His low post/short corner game leaves a lot to be desired. If he can improve there, then that's awesome. But the offseason is the time to work on that and during the season he should be working on what he is already great at: Finishing off pick n rolls and catching the ball in the lane.

5. I think that we need to work on the Half Court Offense a lot more. Not because Felton is better there (he isn't), But because teams are finding ways to slow our fast breaks and bring the pace of the game down. We need to be prepared for this with more half court, high post pick'n'rolls for Amar'e.

6. Gallo needs a wake up call. I don't think benching him is the answer here, but certainly he needs to snap out of the funk. Either so we can trade him for value or utilize him as a deep shot threat.

7. Absolutly agreed!!! I don't remember the last time there was a draft to be excited for. Right now I think we have flexibility and players to trade and there is no need to give away any first rounders.

8. There is some dead weight on this team. I am hoping that before the trade deadline we trim the fat and bring in some quality players. I agree with the players you mentioned to keep. Tho if Denver calls me up with a carmelo for chandler, gallo, curry and feilds i'd pull the trigger.

9. We have flexibility in our cap now. we should try to maintain that flexibility until we can secure a winning, playoff/championship contending team. don't sell the farm for blind hope.

10. Agreed. The goal has to be playoffs first. Then we can get a good sense of what players we have that will do something worthwhile in that type of basketball game. from there we can identify weaknesses and address them. Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

This team needs more work then I thought as of the end of summer league. I still hope for the playoffs, but hope is a different term then expect.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
A lot of good points from abcd. I know he hates how the team is currently run and would like a return to the hard nosed thugged out basketball we played in the 90's that saw our team go to two NBA finals appearances. That was a fun time for knicks fans, though we still didn't get to the promised land...

1. P. Ewing is one of the greatest Knicks ever. Not having him on our Payroll is a shame, but it will never undo the past. It has so very little to do with our current and future success that I'm really unsure why you wanted to open the list with this. It is really telling of your priorities.

2. If Mike D can not find the playoffs this season I think he needs to be fired. It's do or die Mike. If he does get this team to the playoffs, we would be hard pressed to get rid of him.

3. Donnie Walsh is a good GM with a firm understanding of the business of basketball. However, I don't see him continuing here for much longer, depending on his health. He has made some mistakes but I am more concerned that his replacement will be Issiah. For now, lets take the lesser of two evils.

4. Amar'e needs to be more established on the pick'n'roll and in the high post where he thrives. His low post/short corner game leaves a lot to be desired. If he can improve there, then that's awesome. But the offseason is the time to work on that and during the season he should be working on what he is already great at: Finishing off pick n rolls and catching the ball in the lane.

5. I think that we need to work on the Half Court Offense a lot more. Not because Felton is better there (he isn't), But because teams are finding ways to slow our fast breaks and bring the pace of the game down. We need to be prepared for this with more half court, high post pick'n'rolls for Amar'e.

6. Gallo needs a wake up call. I don't think benching him is the answer here, but certainly he needs to snap out of the funk. Either so we can trade him for value or utilize him as a deep shot threat.

7. Absolutly agreed!!! I don't remember the last time there was a draft to be excited for. Right now I think we have flexibility and players to trade and there is no need to give away any first rounders.

8. There is some dead weight on this team. I am hoping that before the trade deadline we trim the fat and bring in some quality players. I agree with the players you mentioned to keep. Tho if Denver calls me up with a carmelo for chandler, gallo, curry and feilds i'd pull the trigger.

9. We have flexibility in our cap now. we should try to maintain that flexibility until we can secure a winning, playoff/championship contending team. don't sell the farm for blind hope.

10. Agreed. The goal has to be playoffs first. Then we can get a good sense of what players we have that will do something worthwhile in that type of basketball game. from there we can identify weaknesses and address them. Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

This team needs more work then I thought as of the end of summer league. I still hope for the playoffs, but hope is a different term then expect.

i agree with you but sometimes off the pick-and-roll they dont get him the ball just overlooking him, even though he has the lane to the basket where he more then likely will finish or get fouled yet they look for the 3 pointer. Nash was giving him the ball off the p-and-r but these guys arent not cause of skill just not looking for him off of it that HAS to change

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
ABCD you need to relax man. Were 1.5 games out of the playoff picture and your talking about the season being lost. Seriously dude.. Relax. I mean we could speculate and say things such as your post on what might happen the rest of this year, but I would like to see it play out as I don't have powers to see into the future.

Maybe the writing is on the wall, but lets see how this team responds to what Amare said and see if we can't make that 8th spot. When were 10 games out of 8th with 20 games left then we can say the season is a lose. Maybe even 30, but dude there are 71 more games to play.

metrocard

Legend
ABCD, you my dude...but its too early to fire D'Antoni. Give the Season 20 games. D'Antoni inherited a rebuilding roster last year. This year he's trying to coach this team into the playoffs, give it time.

3-7...so what? next week we can go 7-3, and be .500.

Toons

is the Bo$$

2. Fire Mike D'Antoni.

3. Fire Donnie Walsh

Really yo? the season is over? u worst than my girl...damn, she is so dramatic. You should be on TNT yo.

Injury depleated teams?
One scorer off of your team doesnt make them 'injury depleated'. If tyhats the case, we are injury depleated as well with starting SG Klenna Azubuike injured. We also started the season without Anthony Randolph who is still nursing a sore ankle.

smh, this post is wrong on so many levels, i give up

la2ny

Starter
Regarding the last two posts I'm sorta on the fence.between siding with this thread and what you 2 said. Honestly, if what happened the last week and a half is a glimpse of whats coming ( I don't see it changing soon) then were screwed. By the end of this road trip they could be 3-11 and once the loosing starts setting in it's going to be over even before we get 20 games in because they are going to give up on thereselves