Would you Still Fire Dantoni Mid Season/End Season

fender0577

Rotation player
Fire him, now, i'm not going to be fooled, by a 3 game win streak, against the NETS, WIZARDS, and JAZZ.He is a terrible coach, his in game adjustments are none existent, he will keep playing,"HIS GUYS" even when they stinking up the joint, i'm just tired of all the excuses people keep using for him.He has his PG, now if he can't adjust, when STAT and MELO return, what are the antoni lovers gonna say then.He gets out coached constantly, i can't take it anymore.

Red

TYPE-A
Wasn't it coaching then, last year, pre-Melo, when we were a playoff team on the rise, and exceeding the expectations of almost all fans (KO members included), and professional NBA analysts?

Also, wouldn't taking an undrafted, unheralded, bounced around raw PG and turn him into a winning, starting PG for the NYK (in about a month's time from being picked off waivers), qualify as taking the talent you have and making it "winning"?

Is your perception reality?

Last year pre-melo we were barely a .500 team. We were still next to last in defense and horrible on the boards.

Felton struggled too. Injuries mounted due to overplay. Many players were DNP'D For no good reason at all.

And akin to Lin (lol that rhymed), Mozgov too only got minutes by default.

So we need to stop, reassess this comparison to last year, and put things into perspective.

We still couldn't close out games
We still blew many double digit leads
We still got swept in the PO's

We had no contingency plans
No answer or alternative to Fields when he slept all four games

And really as I said to Trill...
Making the playoffs in the east, especially after getting swept is not what it seems.

In the past, teams with losing records made the playoffs in the East. Let's not make things out to be hunky dory. Bottom of the barrell defense is no accomplishment.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm not going to criticize him for losing his first 2 years here, they were trying to dump players, traded their 2 best guys for scraps and essentially were not trying to win. Any fair, rational fan can at least acknowledge that.

They were doing well with a much more MDA-friendly team before the Melo trade gutted it.

But being 11-15 with this talent (8-15 before the recent wins) is pretty inexcusable, if you ask me. But it's a marathon not a sprint, and if he can turn the ship around and perform well in the playoffs he deserves his job.
I argue we could have made it at least closer to the Playoffs the first two years with a good coach.

Lee
Nate
Harrington
Gallo
Chandler

etc. should have been better than they were. Wasn't their record WORSE in their next season?

iSaYughh

Starter
Is your perception reality?

You're making this too complicated, Red. I was just speaking to a very simple, but important truth:

our record last year (**and playoff performance) exceeded the expectations of the vast majority of professional basketball analysts, and KO members -- particularly, those KO members who feel D'antoni is a poor coach.

That isn't my perception; it is reality.

However you choose to interpret that reality, after the fact, and play that into a current critique of MDA is your call.

But facts are facts. I don't think you want to accept that; if you legit don't believe it, then I'll be more than happy to dig up what people said in the official season prediction/analysis threads on here, and scour for some of many pro analyst opinions.

**I know you'll bring up "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP", but I'm not afraid to mention the playoffs, too, though I could have just discussed the reg season. The sweep is besides the point, insofar as we were never expected to, nor in a position based off of talent, to beat BOS. What is important and telling is that we competed as viciously with BOS for the first two games as we did, and they had to rely upon such small margins of good fortune and good ref calls, which speaks to the preparedness and edge we cultivated during the regular season to play better as a whole than the sum of our parts would indicate.

iSaYughh

Starter
Also, how -- with a straight face -- can you mention Felton last year, as a mark *against* MDA?

Has Felton ever had a season as exemplary and fine as he did than under his season with MDA? And you can include this season, too, his first post-D'antoni.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Also, how -- with a straight face -- can you mention Felton last year, as a mark *against* MDA?

Has Felton ever had a season as exemplary and fine as he did than under his season with MDA? And you can include this season, too, his first post-D'antoni.
Felton pretty much only had two very good months. That's hardly a season. Even he did elevate his game, he might have hurt him playing him all those minutes because he refused to expand the rotation.

I loved a lot of last season, but it's seriously being overrated.

iSaYughh

Starter
Felton pretty much only had two very good months. That's hardly a season. Even he did elevate his game, he might have hurt him playing him all those minutes because he refused to expand the rotation.

I loved a lot of last season, but it's seriously being overrated.

Idk, Felton played and started 54 games for us.

I'm not trying to hype up last year -- but people are on record saying what they're expectations for the year and season were...And we exceeded them by and large.

Felton has never had as good as a season than the one he had under MDA, he received noted all-star consideration, and he is performing worse in his first season after playing here.

This is one area where the stats don't really lie, and the stats are pretty damning. And beyond the stats, almost everyone thought Felton had a career year and played above expectations for us.

It's only in hindsight now that we're combing through history and tweaking things and glossing over stuff.

Red defined Felton's season with MDA as one of "struggle".

That's just absurd, :2cents:

Knicks#7

Rookie
Stop saying he gave us first good half minutes in the Celtics game. he turned the ball over immediately and fouled Ray allen? (i think) or someone at the 3 point line. That's not good minutes.

D'antoni let Lin play because he was out of options and out of hope entirely. That's why he let Lin play. When Lin had that opportunity, he went berserk. No one expected it at all. Stop acting like Lin was a proven player who D'Antoni forced to the bench, are you kidding me? We are all victims to thinking Lin was trash. He amazed us all. That's why he's making headlines.
He did come in and do exactly what you said. This was his first meaningful playing time. I'm sure he had no idea he was even going to play. I did notice in that game that even though he turned the ball over, he was driving to the basket. He also found Stat for an easy dunk with his play. But I guess our coaching staff couldn't see this, or was upset because he wasn't out there jacking up bad jump shots or off balance 3 pointers.

KBlack25

Starter
I argue we could have made it at least closer to the Playoffs the first two years with a good coach.

Lee
Nate
Harrington
Gallo
Chandler

etc. should have been better than they were. Wasn't their record WORSE in their next season?

Nate is horrible.

And these teams were thrown together with no chemistry no sense of camaraderie or team. Any player that was added or signed or put on those teams was on notice the goal was to clear them out for the 2010 offseason. Anyone that played well early was shipped out, and if moving any of them meant clearing cap room, it was getting done. Not an environment where any team can succeed.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Idk, Felton played and started 54 games for us.

I'm not trying to hype up last year -- but people are on record saying what they're expectations for the year and season were...And we exceeded them by and large.

Felton has never had as good as a season than the one he had under MDA, he received noted all-star consideration, and he is performing worse in his first season after playing here.

This is one area where the stats don't really lie, and the stats are pretty damning. And beyond the stats, almost everyone thought Felton had a career year and played above expectations for us.

It's only in hindsight now that we're combing through history and tweaking things and glossing over stuff.

Red defined Felton's season with MDA as one of "struggle".

That's just absurd, :2cents:
To me what MDA might have done for Felton, and our team in general, is let them play loose and not incredibly stagnant, let them freely shoot threes, whatever. That fun style of basketball might work a decent amount of the year, but that doesn't do much for player and team development. Felton's shots weren't falling, and by the All-Star game he wasn't an All-Star.

The Knicks played good/great when they attacked the basket and pushed the tempo, D'Antoni didn't get them to do that enough.

I do think Felton was a huge part of the teams wins early on, not just Amar'e.

Was it his best season? I couldn't tell ya. I haven't watched a lot of Felton's career outside of the Knicks. He did however make the Playoffs for the first time with the Bobcats under Larry Brown, in a season which we didn't make the Playoffs. Maybe you can argue Felton played best in that short period of time with D'Antoni, but it might have not been his best season.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nate is horrible.

And these teams were thrown together with no chemistry no sense of camaraderie or team. Any player that was added or signed or put on those teams was on notice the goal was to clear them out for the 2010 offseason. Anyone that played well early was shipped out, and if moving any of them meant clearing cap room, it was getting done. Not an environment where any team can succeed.
I don't agree that he's horrible, but whatever.

I can't argue with you there about a lot of distractions, trades, new additions, etc., but I think we could have won some more games if it wasn't for D'Antoni's poor decisions.

Knicks#7

Rookie
After that breakout game, Chandler said that Lin had been performing this way in practice for awhile. So what took coach so long to play him? D'antoni tells us one day that he is trying everything to turn the team around. A week or maybe even two, after Lin finally play, he said he was "scared" to play him. Coach, make up your mind, and also, let's give this other 7 footer a boost of confidence and give him some meaningful minutes and the chance to bust or break out

Kiyaman

Legend
Damn.....it's real bad when u can not convince a few Dantoni-fans that
u FIRE a clueless-headcoach with so many coaching tools missing ASAP.
:whack:
Phoenix FIRED Dantoni....why? he made the postseason 4 out of 5 seasons?
:machinegun:
how many headcoaches in the NBA has been labled as an offensive-headcoach?
:kissass:

CoolClyde

Here is a question for everyone. With the 3 game streak we have just won, the apparent team chemistry and the emergence of J Lin. Would everyone still take the chance and fire Dantoni and effectively promote Mike Woodson as the head coach? Or would you ride out this season than fire after?

Another question is, if we make the playoffs do you fire Dantoni? Or extend him for a year, giving him a full training camp with the Knicks.

since this team is owned by an idiot, his moves will be dictated by asses in the seats, merchandise sales,
etc. hence, if coach Macaroni takes the Knicks to the playoffs, I think his contract will be extended.
remember D'oh-lan extended Zeke's contract after a brief winning streak a few years ago (followed by disaster)

Also, the genius of putting Lintastic in the lin-up has filled the yellow section of the garden (jk),
so, aside from making the team better, Lintoni has filled a marketing need as well.
at this point you can't even consider firing a winning coach with the emergence of the
33 chambers of Shaolin, and the impending return of 2 1/2 superstars into the mix.

these Fire D'Antoni threads just have to stop, at least for awhile. I absolutely hate the guy,
but each and every new thread is a waste of space, filled with boring repetition.
can't we just agree to enjoy the Knicks resurgence, take it as it comes, and watch Macaroni
ride Lin like a pony into the ground... or not?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
youre a joke. this is the first time he's had a squad he can really compete with and they're 3-0, despite missing stat and melo. why would you count his record from when the FO wasn't even trying to put a winning team out there?

My signature is all the proof I need. Antoni is a phoney.

Jeremy Lin is the new head coach of the New York Knicks.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Wrong

^^ Not a D'Ants fan but I agree. If he wins it all, I'll eat crow, the margin of error in winning a ring comes down to which team had the better coaching and game plan sometimes so if the Knicks take it all, I'll take my hat off to D'Antoni.
It comes down to who wants to WIN...who wants to Box out and play DEFENSE...any team that has these players and is truly motivated can win. D'Antoni sucks...the bench is playing its heart out for the chance to play....
1. WE HAD NO POINT GUARD...until Lin.....
2. Lets see Lin vs. KOBE vs. Nash vs. Rondo vs...Durant vs the BULLS MVP....
3. I think he can make Amare as he has made Chandler a superstar...
4. Is there enough time to make the playoffs with Amare and Melo out?
5 . I watched Boston vs the Lakers....the Knicks can play well against either at full strength with Lin and a healthy Davis back....

TakMan

Rotation player
Damn.....it's real bad when u can not convince a few Dantoni-fans that
u FIRE a clueless-headcoach with so many coaching tools missing ASAP.
:whack:
Phoenix FIRED Dantoni....why? he made the postseason 4 out of 5 seasons?
:machinegun:
how many headcoaches in the NBA has been labled as an offensive-headcoach?
:kissass:

I see Phoenix have been doing really well in his absence. Also I doubt Stoudamire would have been in New York had they not hired D'Antoni as a coach.

I'm still undecided on this one. The defence is markedly better this year, while the offence is on the up now that a play maker exists. All this with - yet again- a brand new team.

Unless something goes incredibly wrong, my verdict remains undecided until the end of the season.

Red

TYPE-A
You're making this too complicated, Red. I was just speaking to a very simple, but important truth:

our record last year (**and playoff performance) exceeded the expectations of the vast majority of professional basketball analysts, and KO members -- particularly, those KO members who feel D'antoni is a poor coach.

That isn't my perception; it is reality.

However you choose to interpret that reality, after the fact, and play that into a current critique of MDA is your call.

But facts are facts. I don't think you want to accept that; if you legit don't believe it, then I'll be more than happy to dig up what people said in the official season prediction/analysis threads on here, and scour for some of many pro analyst opinions.

**I know you'll bring up "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP", but I'm not afraid to mention the playoffs, too, though I could have just discussed the reg season. The sweep is besides the point, insofar as we were never expected to, nor in a position based off of talent, to beat BOS. What is important and telling is that we competed as viciously with BOS for the first two games as we did, and they had to rely upon such small margins of good fortune and good ref calls, which speaks to the preparedness and edge we cultivated during the regular season to play better as a whole than the sum of our parts would indicate.

I'm sure you could pull a lot of people saying one thing but it turned out to be another- we could all do that in every sport.

The real issue I'm speaking of is toward those who paint this rosey picture of "pre-melo".

The "facts" pre-melo are:

Terrible on defense
Terrible on the boards
Injuries mounting
Wasting players on the bench
A .500 team

And if we look just at the playoffs there were terrible coaching decisions made sans injuries. Those are the details.

So yeah we might have overachieved in regards to some expectations, but that in no way should take priority over the many little things that weren't great at all.

If I said I can give you a playoff team without gaurantee they will win anything, yet almost last in defense, would you take that? Knowing being almost last in defense means you mind as well not made the playoffs.

And I'm not saying fire Mike, just let's not forget. Let's put tings into perspective.