Carmelo Anthony, the new Glenn Robinson.

nyk_nyk

All Star
@iSaYughh and @hometheaterguy

So neither one of you is interested in seeing what this team could look like with a different coach? You think all because Antoni can't get it right, nobody can?

Glad you guys aren't working for the Knicks.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
^ Yes.

Hedo isn't just fundamentally sound.....he would be our starting SF, I hope. And with his versatility (and lack of ego) our rotation would grow even stronger with Fields getting quality minutes backing up the 3, and JR too.

Lin-Baron
JR-Shumpert-Fields
Hedo-Fields-JR
Amare-Novak-Jeffries-Harrelson
Howard-Harrelson-Novak

That shit is boss. The range and passing of Hedo alone would be worth its weight in gold on that team..

Next step: trading Amare for Gallinari and Mozgov, :teeth:

I don't see us trading for Howard, though; since he doesn't seem keen on playing here and signing. It would be a risk akin to the Deron situation in NJ -- but exponentially more deadly.

From what I have read, Howard would sign with NY... I don't think he wants to be here if Melo is here but I think he is all for teaming up with STAT. Also, a Howard, Stat 5/4 is an extremely athletic front court as well. I think you would see Stat's game take off under this scenario. Stat has dropped some considerable weight and you saw that last night with Dirk.... His side to side movement was fluid and he gained a few inches back on his elevation...
The only other scenario I would entertain is Melo to Atlanta for Josh Smith and Williams or just Smith and 2 #1 draft picks... I would Start STAT at the 5 and Smith at the 4... Again, very athletic front court, 5/4 that can score and you would have a nice 3 man rotation with Chandler that would allow all 3 guys to play fewer minutes, thus letting their bodies heal and rest up for the post season.
The Howard scenario is the best one but the Josh Smith scenario is an excellent second option (if Atlanta is game).

nyk_nyk

All Star
Nice Post. I don't know if he's still playing through injuries but he's definitely uncomfortable out there.

I will keep saying this: Why trade anyone right now without giving another coach a shot at managing this team??? We have too much talent to just give up all because Antoni can't figure it out. He's not a coaching GOD. Perhaps someone else with a different philosophy can get better results here.

I just don't understand why people want to break up a talented roster before at least exploring other coaching options first. Melo and Amare have always played as the #1 options. In Amare's case he was the primary recipient to Nash's passes in PHX. Now they are just glorified role players and the just can't adapt to that. It has to be difficult for them not knowing when their next shot will come and when it finally does their always expected to be great and in rhythym.

Supporting information here: http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/anthony_points_admits_he_lost_hgsDHf0yGr8atovZ0PQoQK

Knicks lose to Mavericks; Anthony has 6 points

By MARC BERMAN

Last Updated: 9:08 AM, March 7, 2012

EPA

DALLAS -- Carmelo Anthony?s postgame behavior was as puzzling as his recent oncourt play.

The Knicks forward scored 6 points in a 2-of-12 disaster and sat and watched the second unit nearly steal a win over the defending champion Mavericks. As a capper, Anthony bolted the locker room early, heading for the bus, saying to a reporter, ?Not tonight.?? Fifteen minutes later, Anthony returned to the locker-room area to speak to a small group of writers and admitted adjusting to the new alignment has him confused on the court.

The Knicks fell to the Mavericks, 95-85, last night to go 2-4 since Anthony returned to a new structure created by Jeremy Lin, whose emergence stoked a 7-0 spurt with Anthony missing most of those games with a groin injury.
?I think any time you go from the early part of the season and having the ball and distributing and now waiting for it to come to me, it?s quite an adjustment for myself,?? said Anthony, a minus-18 and 0-for-3 from 3-point range.

The Knicks, who fell to 17-19, were spearheaded in the fourth quarter by the subs and Amar?e Stoudemire while an atrocious Anthony and Lin sat on the pine. The Knicks proceeded to scare the defending champions with a ferocious 15-0 run to start the fourth that gave them their first lead since the opening minutes.

But as soon as it got real interesting and Anthony and Lin returned, the defending champs fought back with their own 14-0 spurt, powered by Dirk Nowitzki, who scored 8 points in the game-sealing run and spoiled Tyson Chandler?s return to Big D.

Anthony usually is the last Knicks player out of the locker room after games. Asked why he seemed so upset earlier in leaving quickly for the bus, Anthony said, ?We lost. Losses don?t sit well with me.??

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
@iSaYughh and @hometheaterguy

So neither one of you is interested in seeing what this team could look like with a different coach? You think all because Antoni can't get it right, nobody can?

Glad you guys aren't working for the Knicks.

Look, George Karl probably got the most out of Anthony than anyone could have expected and that was a constant struggle because Anthony doesn't want to play that type of game, that's why he wanted out of Denver; it's almost unnatural for him. Mike D's system is what Melo wants but... it perpetuate the bad side of his game and sacrifices the team. Everyone knocks Mike D but ask Raymond Felton about Mike D... Look what Mike D did for his game and where he is at now. If you have any of the games from last season, prior to the trade... Like the Bulls game and that Heat game when the Knicks were wining... You will see Mike D's influence on this team and how fluid a team can be under his system. PG's flourish under his system (true PGs not combo guards). I re-watched those bulls, heat games last season prior to Mello and man what a difference!!! Even the ones we lost the Knicks looked better than we have looked since the Melo trade.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
The Knicks fell to the Mavericks, 95-85, last night to go 2-4 since Anthony returned to a new structure created by Jeremy Lin, whose emergence stoked a 7-0 spurt with Anthony missing most of those games with a groin injury.
?I think any time you go from the early part of the season and having the ball and distributing and now waiting for it to come to me, it?s quite an adjustment for myself,?? said Anthony, a minus-18 and 0-for-3 from 3-point range.

Am I reading this right? Melo is pouting because he doesn't have the ball as much as he did before. So how much longer do we have to wait before the 20-million dollar man decides to show up for a big game?

Melo played like a scrub last night. There is no sugarcoating around his dismal performance. He needs to wake the f*ck up and start producing.

K.R.U.L.

Rookie
Nice Post. I don't know if he's still playing through injuries but he's definitely uncomfortable out there.

I will keep saying this: Why trade anyone right now without giving another coach a shot at managing this team??? We have too much talent to just give up all because Antoni can't figure it out. He's not a coaching GOD. Perhaps someone else with a different philosophy can get better results here.

I just don't understand why people want to break up a talented roster before at least exploring other coaching options first. Melo and Amare have always played as the #1 options. In Amare's case he was the primary recipient to Nash's passes in PHX. Now they are just glorified role players and the just can't adapt to that. It has to be difficult for them not knowing when their next shot will come and when it finally does their always expected to be great and in rhythym.

That's why you get rid of Pringles ASAP and look into coaches like Jerry Sloan, see if Phil Jackson is still interested, see if SVG is interested even though it's highly unlikely he ever works under James Dolan. We have such a talented team but our coach is just squandering a beautiful opportunity that we may not have for a long time.

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:Calm down people, once C'ANToni is gone, we'll get a decent coach in here, who actually uses his superstars accordingly.Stop it people, please.

Exactly!!

Pringles is the major source of our problems :beer:

Am I reading this right? Melo is pouting because he doesn't have the ball as much as he did before. So how much longer do we have to wait before the 20-million dollar man decides to show up for a big game?

Melo played like a scrub last night. There is no sugarcoating around his dismal performance. He needs to wake the f*ck up and start producing.

Look, George Karl probably got the most out of Anthony than anyone could have expected and that was a constant struggle because Anthony doesn't want to play that type of game, that's why he wanted out of Denver; it's almost unnatural for him. Mike D's system is what Melo wants but... it perpetuate the bad side of his game and sacrifices the team. Everyone knocks Mike D but ask Raymond Felton about Mike D... Look what Mike D did for his game and where he is at now. If you have any of the games from last season, prior to the trade... Like the Bulls game and that Heat game when the Knicks were wining... You will see Mike D's influence on this team and how fluid a team can be under his system. PG's flourish under his system (true PGs not combo guards). I re-watched those bulls, heat games last season prior to Mello and man what a difference!!! Even the ones we lost the Knicks looked better than we have looked since the Melo trade.

Holy christ are you two serious? *sigh*

This is why I say trade Melo. Making things up, spouting nonsense, not looking at things logically....smh. It's a tragedy NY fans treat players such a way. Just trade him so he doesn't have to put up with this & we can hope & pray Lin and the rag-tag bunch of misfits with up & down Amar'e can get us further than the first round.

munco

Benchwarmer
People have compared Melo to Glenn Robinson for years and it's not a bad one. At times he can take over a game with his scoring and is a really good player, but at the same time is not in the conversation as one of the best players in the league. Their stats are very similar too

wynton

Rookie
In his first few games back, I thought Melo's approach was great. He virtually never held on to the ball an excessive period of time. He moved without the ball. He looked to pass often. His shot was not falling, but that seemed just a matter of time.

Last night was entirely different. He looked completely disinterested, or at least confused.

It's hard to say from the outside who's fault this is. D'Antoni should be making it a priority to get Melo the ball, where he's comfortable. Perhaps Melo and Lin should work the pick/n/roll some, which I don't think I've seen yet. Or maybe D'Antoni is saying the right things, but Melo hasn't followed the plan. Or maybe last night was an aberration, the culmination of a frustrating few games when his shot just wasn't falling.

It's too early to conclude Melo can't play with Lin and the others. But if last night's game is repeated for the rest of this week, I will join the chorus of criticism.

metrocard

Legend
People have compared Melo to Glenn Robinson for years and it's not a bad one. At times he can take over a game with his scoring and is a really good player, but at the same time is not in the conversation as one of the best players in the league. Their stats are very similar too

Exacto. :agreed:

metrocard

Legend

Never seen a so called star player make so many excuses or have fans make so many excuses for him.

Either you play good or you don't.

I don't here Kobe bitching about playing with a broken finger, nose or sore knees. Don't remember Bernard King bitching when he single hand took out the Pistons with 2 dislocated thumbs.

Fact is -- Melo is acting like a puta and playing like a stiff. He only had like 4 good games this season

He is shooting is poor, Brandon Jennings like -besides his shooting...Melo is a good offensive rebounder and makes solid assist...Melo can play like a 25 ppg 8 reb 5 assist type player... effect the game like a god.

His latest excuse is that he's having trouble adjusting to waiting off the ball but he fails to admit is that when he was controlling the ball we sucked and his stats were still dreadful.

Melo GROW UP or go find another city to play for....you Puerto Rican traitor!

nyk_nyk

All Star

No you are not reading it right. You clearly don't get it and I don't feel like explaining it to you. Good day sir.

iSaYughh

Starter
Never seen a so called star player make so many excuses or have fans make so many excuses for him.

His latest excuse is that he's having trouble adjusting to waiting off the ball but he fails to admit is that when he was controlling the ball we sucked and his stats were still dreadful.

+1

The mark of a true "superstar" is someone who's game is so refined and dominant that you place them on the court and it doesn't matter who they are playing with, where they are playing....they will produce and play like stars.

Unreal.

And the reason Melo is getting "frozen" out of plays at time, is because he freezes himself out by acting like a clueless stiff just waiting to have the ball perfectly dropped in his paws so he can do what he wants with it.

****ing move, respect the team, respect the offense.

Amare just looks gimp and aged. Melo's skill set is still totally in tact.

Never seen such a player have his performance fold like such a cheap suit before. Let alone under D'antoni, and having quality PG's in Lin/Davis now to boot.

nyk_nyk

All Star

I don't here Kobe bitching about playing with a broken finger, nose or sore knees. Don't remember Bernard King bitching when he single hand took out the Pistons with 2 dislocated thumbs.

Fact is -- Melo is acting like a puta and playing like a stiff. He only had like 4 good games this season

He is shooting is poor, Brandon Jennings like -besides his shooting...Melo is a good offensive rebounder and makes solid assist...Melo can play like a 25 ppg 8 reb 5 assist type player... effect the game like a god.

How do you explain Felton's subpar play in POR?
How do you explain Turkoglu's performance when he was in TOR?
How do explain Brands performance in PHI from LAC?

All these guys went to a different system and never looked comfortable. I respect you as a poster but sometimes you like to act all dumb like you don't understand something just to further your point. That "either you play good or you don't" comment is so weak. Act like you have some basketball sense man.

nyk_nyk

All Star
+1

The mark of a true "superstar" is someone who's game is so refined and dominant that you place them on the court and it doesn't matter who they are playing with, where they are playing....they will produce and play like stars.

Unreal.

And the reason Melo is getting "frozen" out of plays at time, is because he freezes himself out by acting like a clueless stiff just waiting to have the ball perfectly dropped in his paws so he can do what he wants with it.

****ing move, respect the team, respect the offense.

Amare just looks gimp and aged. Melo's skill set is still totally in tact.

Never seen such a player have his performance fold like such a cheap suit before. Let alone under D'antoni, and having quality PG's in Lin/Davis now to boot.

You contradict yourself here. You are one of the main people who want Melo to keep the ball moving right? When he attempts to play his game, you complain and bitch about him going ISO. That's a big part of his game! Unfortunately, people like you and the media has him thinking too much instead of just balling like he knows how to. You are unbelievable.

metrocard

Legend
How do you explain Felton's subpar play in POR?
How do you explain Turkoglu's performance when he was in TOR?
How do explain Brands performance in PHI from LAC?

All these guys went to a different system and never looked comfortable. I respect you as a poster but sometimes you like to act all dumb like you don't understand something just to further your point. That "either you play good or you don't" comment is so weak. Act like you have some basketball sense man.

Felton came to Portland out of shape and Portland plays the slowest pace in the NBA...Felton wouldn't have played well anyway.

Toronto is a terrible team and Turk is past his prime.

Brand is actually playing good, best post defender in the NBA and has been a good all around PF for PHI, he's played a key role in their success.

You tried to make good points, they all make sense no doubt. You're a good poster and I always respected you even if you may not think highly of me. I just think you can't give Melo excuses...Melo is getting like 18 mil a year...when we group Melo with role players you know Melo is messing up and Melosexuals are becoming desperate for excuses.

Either you play good or you don't, especially in Melo's case...Melo is multi talented...Felton, Turk and Brand don't have Melo's attributes...those guys can be sub par because they're not paid to be MVP caliber players. Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Felton came to Portland out of shape and Portland plays the slowest pace in the NBA...Felton wouldn't have played well anyway.
You have no proof he was out of shape, stop it. So I guess Portland's slow pace hurt Felton's game huh? Is that an excuse? (yeah ok)

Toronto is a terrible team and Turk is past his prime.
What does the state of the team have to do with Turks play? He was horrible and is actually playing better now in ORL.[/quote]

Brand is actually playing good, best post defender in the NBA and has been a good all around PF for PHI, he's played a key role in their success.
Brand has never been the player he was in LA and that's a fact.

You tried to make good points, they all make sense no doubt. You're a good poster and I always respected you even if you may not think highly of me. I just think you can't give Melo excuses...Melo is getting like 18 mil a year...when we group Melo with role players you know Melo is messing up and Melosexuals are becoming desperate for excuses.

Either you play good or you don't, especially in Melo's case...Melo is multi talented...Felton, Turk and Brand don't have Melo's attributes...those guys can be sub par because they're not paid to be MVP caliber players. Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?

All those guys have things they do better than Melo

Brand - Rebounding and post player
Felton - Passing
Turk - 3pt shooting

Also, I believe Brand was paid like an MVP player.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I agree with nyk_nyk , not trying offend anyone but I don't think a lot you of either play ball or analyze other teams and players properly thats not on the Knicks.

Even with superstar players if you put them in situation where their not comfortable it's not gonna work out.

Imagine if tmrw OKC says you know what Durant we can't have you shoot as much were gonna need you to be our point forward and just set everyone up. You guys honestly think Durant would be successful in that role?

Or Miami told both Wade and James let Chalmers run the show and if and when he gets to you then you guys can shoot, they'd both struggle terribly.

You can't make ppl play in roles their not comfortable with like me I was a pretty good PG in HS that liked to control the game, but if I was asked to play off the ball my play dropped drastically because I just felt so uncomfortable.

Even team USA prior to winning in 08 with the great coach K, one of the reason's they were losing is because guys weren't used to being just role players on each of their teams they were the best guys and couldn't adjust to just getting the ball sometimes. It's really hard to do.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
You have no proof he was out of shape, stop it. So I guess Portland's slow pace hurt Felton's game huh? Is that an excuse? (yeah ok)

What does the state of the team have to do with Turks play? He was horrible and is actually playing better now in ORL.

Brand has never been the player he was in LA and that's a fact.

All those guys have things they do better than Melo

Brand - Rebounding and post player
Felton - Passing
Turk - 3pt shooting

Also, I believe Brand was paid like an MVP player.

tumblr_m0docjrFdT1qfl6j8.jpg

Felton reported to training camp as a fatty, look it up.

Going from D'Antoni's system (where Felton played the best ball of his career) to McMillian's sytem...where the ball isn't pushed, assist and points will go down...no break out games; strickly half court play. You talk about basketball sense but I feel like a dad holding a childs hand to cross the street. These are simple things you should know already.

Turk is still pass his prime and he was averaging the same numbers as he does in Orlando now, only difference was he went from Dwight Howard to Andrea Bargnani. So whats you're point? You're not making any sense.

Brand was paid like a MVP player, so what....injuries, age....who expects Brand to averaging 20/10/2? The fact that Brand is still playing at a good level is a miracle.

That was truely a post that said nothing you were better off not replying; you're being stubborn now...its making you look stiffer than melo. Be suave.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I agree with nyk_nyk , not trying offend anyone but I don't think a lot you of either play ball or analyze other teams and players properly thats not on the Knicks.

Even with superstar players if you put them in situation where their not comfortable it's not gonna work out.

Imagine if tmrw OKC says you know what Durant we can't have you shoot as much were gonna need you to be our point forward and just set everyone up. You guys honestly think Durant would be successful in that role?

Or Miami told both Wade and James let Chalmers run the show and if and when he gets to you then you guys can shoot, they'd both struggle terribly.

You can't make ppl play in roles their not comfortable with like me I was a pretty good PG in HS that liked to control the game, but if I was asked to play off the ball my play dropped drastically because I just felt so uncomfortable.

Even team USA prior to winning in 08 with the great coach K, one of the reason's they were losing is because guys weren't used to being just role players on each of their teams they were the best guys and couldn't adjust to just getting the ball sometimes. It's really hard to do.

You really come off arrogant in this post... Why can't you make a point without attacking people's knowledge? Because you look like the only stupidass in the thread all naively arrogant. You're too old to be acting like that...be better.

I been following the NBA deeply since 99', not just the Knicks. So have many people here too. You can think what you want, but my bball knowledge can't be question; whether you disagree or not due to personal opinions I always provide facts, stats, history and logic. Melo has failed as a scorer, as a leader, as a point forward and any role you can play him.

Thats just an honest assessment from watching him come to this season so unprepared...Melo wasn't ready to be a leader on this team. Being a Knick was just Melo's fantasy; he didn't come here with a plan. He's been horrible at adversity.

Its too much softness; you were a "good" PG but obviously not good enough to adjust. Thats WEAK. If I underachieve in my athletic sport (whether it was baseball, wrestling or boxing) and I can't adjust to a challenge; that just means I lack hard work, preparation and mental toughness. You have to prepare for every situation. Only losers expect their same game can get them through every obstacle. Melo's been overrated and over valued. He's not that GOOD as advertised.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Last week it was STAT this week its Melo getting the heat. Next week you guys will call for Lin's head and a week later Tyson.

The roster is just getting settled in and people are still looking to find thier roles, just chill and be patient. Think postive and postive things happen.