Fitness Thread

iSaYughh

Starter
Trying to gain.

I see.

Drink a gallon of whole milk (work up to it, if you have to) each day, on top of whatever you are currently eating (and hopefully you are currently eating a good bit).

And I wouldn't do anything but compound lifts, 3sets, 5 to 8 reps. 3x/week. Maybe an additional short workout 1x/week for core. And don't do any cardio other than what you have to for sport-specific work (eg, basketball, boxing).

Keep it extremely simple, but extremely effective. Diet + Recovery are the two big keys (and obv going hard at the lifts when you do them).

I've never met anyone, even ppl who could "never gain", not gain tons of quality size by doing the milk + above.

KingCharles34

All Star
I'm losing weight again. I was 129 yesterday. Guess I have to manage to eat at least six times a day, rather than the three-four.

I started adding jumping squats with the ladder about two weeks ago. It's crazy.

Eating the right way does really help alot, Im working on changing my diet

2 cans of tuna fish a week
2 cans of healthy choice garden vegetable soup
2 cans " " chicken noodle soup
Greek Yogurt
chicken
Mixed Fruit cups
Bananas
Dole apple snacks
Asparagus
Apple sauce
Whole grain cereal
Hot Dogs made from turkey instead of beef
chocolate milk
different fruit juices
plenty of water

Im not completely disciplined with it yet, still gotta cut out some cookies and other snacks at night time.

But i found a good weight lifting routine now thats making my arms a little bigger

I've been curling

20 pounds - 20 reps, 18 reps, 16 reps
30 pounds - 14 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps
40 pounds - 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
50 pounds - 4 reps, 4 reps

Then I do 3 sets of pull ups, as many as i can do each time. Then sometimes ill finish off with push ups that i do with my arms right by my side and gripping the sides of my pull up bar vertically so i can do deep push ups to work my chest and finish my arms off. I usually only do 3 sets of them but with a backpack thats got 20 pounds in it on my back. Then I do as many of those pushups as i can with no weights.

And I do that routine 3 days a week, on Tuesday, thursday and Saturday.

On the other days i do different chinups, pushups, and dips. Work the heavy bag too, and i was doing sit ups 6 days a week but my legs were getting stiff on me so i found some hot workout chick doing this real tough ab workout that i used to tug to sometimes. It works my abs in a much different way but i like it. Sounds like your good with squats, sounds like what your doing is real tough. I should give jumping squats a try but i really cant do too much stuff like that right now, I have a heel spur. Bicyclings the only cardio workout that doesnt bother it, I cant run or jump rope. Havent been able to play too much ball this summer

p0nder

Starter
Day 4 of Metros Cardio program today. I have never done cardio every day before. I think I could get used to this.

Basketball is starting up for me very soon. I have a pickup game Sunday and a scrimmage with a D2 team on Tuesday. Should I still do a LDT on Tuesday if I'm running that night with the basketball team? I'm thinking I won't for the first week (just because i'll be gassed for the scrimmage and I'm in a "try-out" period with this team so I want to play well.) But I think that after a few weeks i'll be fine to run 2 times a day.

Still lifting 3 times a week for gainz. new PR for my dumbbell bench press yesterday. gonna switch back to barbell for a little bit to see how much total weight I can actually push. Still working on my chin-ups/pull-ups... I will do a "muscle up" this year!

p0nder

Starter
http://ftcy.me/tJdSZk

Also posting the fitocracy invite for you folks: I got OBM on there now, it's cool to see his progress and be able to cheer him on as his lifts continue to improve.

You can also see what i'm doing and post your own workouts. I'd like to see what other people like metro, isayugh, kingstarbury, and running jumper are doing for their fitness and get ideas from them to incorporate in my workouts. Or are y'all too scurrd to show your actual workouts? ;)

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I see.

Drink a gallon of whole milk (work up to it, if you have to) each day, on top of whatever you are currently eating (and hopefully you are currently eating a good bit).

And I wouldn't do anything but compound lifts, 3sets, 5 to 8 reps. 3x/week. Maybe an additional short workout 1x/week for core. And don't do any cardio other than what you have to for sport-specific work (eg, basketball, boxing).

Keep it extremely simple, but extremely effective. Diet + Recovery are the two big keys (and obv going hard at the lifts when you do them).

I've never met anyone, even ppl who could "never gain", not gain tons of quality size by doing the milk + above.
Thanks, I'll look into this.

Are you sure drinking a gallon of whole milk a day is good? I heard having a lot of calcium every day is not good for you, don't know if that's a lot. I'll have no problem drinking that much right away. When do you drink it?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Also posting the fitocracy invite for you folks: I got OBM on there now, it's cool to see his progress and be able to cheer him on as his lifts continue to improve.

You can also see what i'm doing and post your own workouts. I'd like to see what other people like metro, isayugh, kingstarbury, and running jumper are doing for their fitness and get ideas from them to incorporate in my workouts. Or are y'all too scurrd to show your actual workouts? ;)
Every other day I jog. If I do my full jog, it's about 27-29 minutes. I think I've gotten faster since the last time I did this route a few months ago when it'd be almost forty minutes. I started going a little faster though last week. Yesterday I didn't jog, but that's ok, I might be too thin to be doing so much jogging. I'm more concerned about jogging a good amount every week and not missing my upper-body/squat days.

The other every other days is upper-body and squats. These sessions are made up by me, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. However, I'm in good condition so I'm not hurting myself. I switch up the order (not the whole workout) every three weeks if I remember.

About 46 fist push-ups (I read Bruce Lee did those for forearms. I don't feel it in my forearms, but fist push-ups are tougher for me more than the regular ones. I want to try the regular ones soon again to see how many I can do now that I can do about the same amount with my fists.). I've been doing full fist push-ups 'till about the late 30s, then I can't do it I don't think. Maybe instead of doing a few more non-full ones I should try hard for at least one more full one.

The same/about the same amount of dips as the push-ups. I use the arm of the couch to have my legs and feet a little high.

I do four forearm exercises, 39 reps each (39 being my favorite number and a good amount) with a light chair. I added two recently. The two I added recently I can't move the chair much, but it works, and I feel it more than the other two. It's also good for the shoulders. Not easy to hold up straight. Having noticeably bigger and proportionate forearms is a big goal for me.

Next I do squats with a wooden ladder. It's about ten pounds I guess, not much. This is definitely the hardest workout I do.

First set - 12 squats
Second set - 9 regular, 7 jumping
Third set - 12 regular, 27 jumping

Next I do twelve finger push-ups. The last three I go down a little more. I can't go down far, but it is good for my fingers.

I do these side push-ups things, 12 reps on each side. Both sets I do six reps without moving my arms, then six reps bending my arm a little like a push-up.

2 sets, 33 reps of lifting the wooden ladder up and down above my head. I do two sets with the ladder being in the other direction than the previous set because ladders aren't even and I feel it more on one side than the other.

I use a tensolator for a few exercises for the back, arms, shoulders, fist (push it up and down. I think it use to hurt a little because of the product's name or whatever engraved on it lol. I do it for fist strength), etc.

The last four exercises is well over a 100 sit-ups (today over 150) not going forward far since I feel it more. At 83 I go a little bit hard with it to feel it.

12 sit-ups going side-to-side, what's the name of that?

28 full sit-ups.

39 reps of crunches, I move my legs and feet - forward for the lower abs, to the right, then to the left. Moving my feet and legs to the left and right I feel either my abs and/or obliques, or something haha.

Some of these I don't know if I described clearly, such as the last one, because I either would have to show you or I don't want to spend all day typing this.

I want to do what I invented a couple months ago regularly. At work I took a 5 pound weight for barbells or whatever, and did a bunch of reps with each finger and thumb.

When I have the money, which I will soon, I'm gonna go to the gym and buy the food, and the amount of food, I need.

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
nice RJ! keep up the good work! When you are able to get into the gym and use some heavier weights take a look at the Starting Strength routine by Ripptoe. It's a good place to start and with an increase in calories and lifting heavy weights you will see a very noticble difference.

I again really reccommend hopping on the fitocracy bandwagon. you will be able to track all of your workouts and see where you improve in all things fitness.

orangeblobman

Rotation player

Oh yea, fitocracy is so good because it keeps you motivated. Between the point system and the props and fist bumps, the awards, it feels like Call of Duty, but in real life, and for fitness. Really great system, I thought that was you p0nder, but wasn't sure, though I did go through your link so that makes sense.

Dude, check out the log I got, but I don't think fitocracy has any log workouts!! It's okay, I'll go without the points on this.

But first I have to make cut-outs on this log and install handles, then I will work up to lifting it overhead...I can't weigh it yet (haven't figured out how!) but it's, I estimate, between 150-200 lbs and it's 4 feet long, with a 13 inch diameter.

2zf67gh.jpg

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Thanks, I'll look into this.

Are you sure drinking a gallon of whole milk a day is good? I heard having a lot of calcium every day is not good for you, don't know if that's a lot. I'll have no problem drinking that much right away. When do you drink it?

Drinking a gallon of milk a day works, but you have to be lifting heavy **** like on the Starting Strength program.

If you're untrained, keep it simple with the squats, the deadlifts, and presses, and add weight to the bar every session. That type of program along with a gallon of milk a day, you're gonna get swole, freakin' hyooj.

metrocard

Legend
Drinking a gallon of milk everyday doesn't work like THAT, it's not that simple...plus all the saturated fat is terrible for belly fat. Balance your nutrition.

To be at peak level, you must take your body fat % seriously while put yourself through a series of fitness test. Measurements, measurements, measurements.

Physical inactivity has a negative global impact so severe that its adverse effects on health are comparable to that of smoking or obesity, according to a new study.

Well, ain't that obvious?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I read was reading the GOMAD (Gallon Of Milk A Day) method here this morning:

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

It suggests the other parts of the diet people should have.

Strong Lifts is a great site and a great program. I feel that it was, in my experience, a little too high volume. Strong Lifts is 5x5 while Starting Strength is 3x5, I would go with Starting Strength for a beginner to keep it simple or, when 5x5 becomes difficult, drop it to 3x5.

But you can't go wrong with either Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. Rippetoe is more experienced than Mehdi, but both are strong options.

Drinking a gallon of milk a day is recommended for short-term applications, you won't be drinking a gallon of milk a day for years.

GOMAD is a fast, cheap and easy way to down the necessary calories to ensure steady growth in the early stages of your training.

Of course you should eat vegetables of varying colors, eat meat as much as you can, but these are givens and should be followed anyway. GOMAD is an addition to your diet not the diet itself.

As an untrained guy hitting the squats and deadlifts for the first time, your system will be shocked out of its mind and will be starving for material from which to become stronger and better suited to stand the abuse you are giving it in the form of weight lifting.

Do not over think diet, the last thing you want to over think is diet. GOMAD, vegetables of various colors, and as much meat as possible. Fish, obviously, just whole food, man. Obviously Coca Cola and potato chips won't do anything for you.

You'll gain a ton of muscle and some fat, but you don't worry about fat right now. The goal is to lift heavy **** and to induce a response by your system so that it will adapt to greater poundages.

Cutting down, sculpting muscles, that's all for advanced stages, if you choose to go that route. You might want to just lift heavy forever or you might want to go into bodybuilding, that's up to you, but the main thing to take away is that you can't do any of that advanced stuff until you have a foundation to build it on. That's why you don't care about some fat right now and you want to pack on the slabs of muscle. You're laying the concrete in the foundation.

This is all ridiculously simple that once you start you will wonder what you were waiting for your entire life.

Strength is mandatory in life, training is not optional.

metrocard

Legend
If your body fat % is not below 10% then you don't take your fitness seriously enough. To not worry about is just a lazy and amateur approach to fitness and exercise.

p0nder

Starter
hmmm sub 10% means abs tho right? but a lot of NBA guys don't have abs, same with NFL guys. I'm farrrr away from 10% or even a % i consider "fit" but i think sub 10% may be a bit extreme for the average person.

I've been running and bikeing metro, getting faster and leaner with the plan you gave me for my cardio. PM me if you'd rather converse off the thread about progress?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
If your body fat % is not below 10% then you don't take your fitness seriously enough. To not worry about is just a lazy and amateur approach to fitness and exercise.

I have to back the truck up here, beep beep beep beep.

It depends on what your goals are. Lots of very fit people have above 10% body fat, I'm sure of this. We're made to carry a little fat. I see low body fat as mostly an aesthetic thing.

It's a valid objective. At the same time, we can't just say everyone who doesn't give a **** about body fat doesn't take their training seriously.

metrocard

Legend
hmmm sub 10% means abs tho right? but a lot of NBA guys don't have abs, same with NFL guys. I'm farrrr away from 10% or even a % i consider "fit" but i think sub 10% may be a bit extreme for the average person.

I've been running and bikeing metro, getting faster and leaner with the plan you gave me for my cardio. PM me if you'd rather converse off the thread about progress?

Getting to 10% body isn't really a difficult task, especially if you continue for 2-3 months, you will be surprise how comfortable you'll and how easy the running will get for you.

I'm happy to hear your progress.

Have you tried running 5K? Try it out and report back with how fast you run 5K in.

I had my 43 year old client from Russia run 5K in 42 minutes one day, and within a week he did 35 minutes flat. It's really a good way to build your endurance and speed up.

My record for my 5K so far is 24:32

Try out this insane workout:

I have to back the truck up here, beep beep beep beep.

It depends on what your goals are. Lots of very fit people have above 10% body fat, I'm sure of this. We're made to carry a little fat. I see low body fat as mostly an aesthetic thing.

It's a valid objective. At the same time, we can't just say everyone who doesn't give a **** about body fat doesn't take their training seriously.

You're not training every dimension at it's highest potential if your body fat is over 10%.

I understand powerlifters may carry more fat for their strength, but I'm speaking about the average guy who's trying to get fit and in shape.