The Official Mike D'Antoni Sucks Thread

Do you approve of Mike D'Antoni?

• Yes, this 5 game winning streak over lottery teams has me convinced.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Yes, but the Knicks will have to keep winning, before I join the D'Antoni bandwagon.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • No, he sucks. He will be thrown in a dumpster(fired), after this year.

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I agree he needs to stop all the 3's especially late in the 4th because if they miss we can shoot our self out of the game. That said, our defense is much improved, the team has bought in and we look dangerous. Lets not forget we just beat another playoff team with out Amare. MDA has faults as any coach does and we all know that but it appears he is at least trying to address them. I think it's very savvy to recognize that with Melo and Amare our team has the luxury now to concentrate on defense since the offense will naturally be there. Further I look at his rotations as of late and have to conclude he has taking note of the criticisms since he has expanded it.

Yea he's said he's expanding the rotation now to see what the bench players bring to the table and to decide who he's gonna use in the playoffs, we'll see what happens come playoff time.

You're absolutely right about the offense and that's why I was saying from the beginning that he needs to adapt his style/coaching to the players as opposed to the making the players conform to his system...you never take away what makes a player the player that he is, and that's what was happening early on with Melo.

As far as the defense goes, there is more attention on it (I think by media, fans, and the players alike) but there are still some flaws in how the players are executing it. That's not to say that MDA isn't stressing it when it comes to actually playing D, it's not to say that the players aren't giving the effort, but it's how sound the execution is and is it leading to the results we want. 100% effort =/= proper execution. We'll start the D well on the perimeter (like Chauncey did last night) and then won't execute on the back end and end up giving up the shot that we didn't want to(see the Pacers beasting on us in the paint) that happens over and over again, and suddenly you're playing catch up or trying to hold off a subpar team. I don't care that the Pacers are a playoff team...the Raptors aren't and Amir Johnson, Derozan, and Davis got similar shots in the paint to Tyler, Hibbert, and George last night. Amar'e played in one game, didn't play in the other, so the blame can't be put on him for that one. I guess I'll give Hibbert an asterisk since he's 7'2'' and has an advantage, but that doesn't excuse people losing their man on D and giving him prime position. That's the D I'm looking for, that's the D that leads to a solid scoring defense and opponents FG%, which are vital to a contending team....not blocked shots...blocks and steals are nice, but those are singular plays over the course of a game. Holding an opponent to a low FG% is game long.

So we'll see if MDA is the guy to bring all of these aspects together on a consistent basis. It's nothing personal against the man, just constructive criticism.

Also, he needs to find a way to get more hard practices in. That's how the Bulls practiced all year, tough practices all season long and they're better for it now...the way they're getting rest is reducing practices for the remainder of the season...not by benching their starters. If that means less run and gun and more conventional half court with some transition thrown in...then fine...it'll be less "exciting" for non-Knicks fans, but it'll be devastating on the opposing team.

smokes

Huge Member
As far as MDA's improvement it has been marked since the Melo trade.

I think now he has been forced to change, instead of begrudgingly changing things just the bare minimum to make things work he's actually addressing most of the things that he has been abused for.

However, if we lose a playoff game because he refuses to take a time-out or forgets a foul to give or lets a team drill a 3 on us when we can foul them, those basic fundamental coaching mistakes.... Those are the things that REALLY get to me (and haven't seen any indication of him smartening up here).

MusketeerX

Rotation player
As far as MDA's improvement it has been marked since the Melo trade.

I think now he has been forced to change, instead of begrudgingly changing things just the bare minimum to make things work he's actually addressing most of the things that he has been abused for.

However, if we lose a playoff game because he refuses to take a time-out or forgets a foul to give or lets a team drill a 3 on us when we can foul them, those basic fundamental coaching mistakes.... Those are the things that REALLY get to me (and haven't seen any indication of him smartening up here).

Agreed. We've gotten better. MDA has shown improvements (more than I thought was possible). Defense still has lapses, but we are better. I still think we need another coach or a pure defensive minded assistant coach if we are going to stand a chance next year at making a splash in the playoffs.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
Mike D' Antoni has to go regardless By next season. It would have to take them making the 2nd round for me to change my mind. And I don't see that happening.
I'm sick of his obsession with Jared Jefferies who stinks ! We will never win against top defensive teams with mike's style, remember this next year When we finally realize what a waste of time this coach is. Do we realize that Coach thibs has not loss more than 2 straight with the bulls.
While we have two or three consecutive 6 games losing streaks.
Great coaches don't allow for their team to have that many losses over and over. :gony:

Agreed. We've gotten better. MDA has shown improvements (more than I thought was possible). Defense still has lapses, but we are better. I still think we need another coach or a pure defensive minded assistant coach if we are going to stand a chance next year at making a splash in the playoffs.
We should get Mike Brown.

TakMan

Rotation player
Mike D' Antoni has to go regardless By next season. It would have to take them making the 2nd round for me to change my mind. And I don't see that happening.
I'm sick of his obsession with Jared Jefferies who stinks ! We will never win against top defensive teams with mike's style, remember this next year When we finally realize what a waste of time this coach is. Do we realize that Coach thibs has not loss more than 2 straight with the bulls.
While we have two or three consecutive 6 games losing streaks.
Great coaches don't allow for their team to have that many losses over and over. :gony:

We were playing against the best defence in the league. We were also playing without one of our star players who would bring an additional dimension to our game by providing support in the paint (both on offense and defence) Also he has beaten the league's best defensive team three times this season so it's not entirely accurate to state that "We will never win against top defensive teams with mike's style...". I think the second half was catastrophic for the Knicks who relied on three's and lacked diversity in their play. Other than that though they have been improving, and appear more capable of competing at a high level now, than over the past six years.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
D'Antoni sucks. He's going in a hefty, after this season.

And to those who think Antoni won't get fired, you do know his contract is up next year, right?

And he hasn't been offered an extension. He's dumpster bound. The end.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
D'Antoni sucks. He's going in a hefty, after this season.

And to those who think Antoni won't get fired, you do know his contract is up next year, right?

And he hasn't been offered an extension. He's dumpster bound. The end.

I know you are trying to be inflammatory but if you look objectively he has lead us to our first winning season in over a decade and the 6th seed.(exceeding your own predictions) This was done in his first real year that we had any semblance of a roster all while enduring a major trade. I do agree he has made mistakes but both of those games could have gone either way and had we beaten Boston you would not be here bumping this thread. So yea, maybe another coach is in order but to say he is trash after almost beating the Celtics twice in Boston when one game was stolen from us and one game had Amare and Billups sidelined is just emotional bias that you formed years ago.

I know you are trying to be inflammatory but if you look objectively he has lead us to our first winning season in over a decade and the 6th seed.(exceeding your own predictions) This was done in his first real year that we had any semblance of a roster all while enduring a major trade. I do agree he has made mistakes but both of those games could have gone either way and had we beaten Boston you would not be here bumping this thread. So yea, maybe another coach is in order but to say he is trash after almost beating the Celtics twice in Boston when one game was stolen from us and one game had Amare and Billups sidelined is just emotional bias that you formed years ago.
I don't see that our problem is about coaching. I see that we need upgrades to the roster. That's where the biggest improvements are going to come. We need quality size, PG, SG and quality depth. If i'm Donnie that's what I would be looking to do over the next 2 years. Then this team will be a bonafide title team.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't see that our problem is about coaching. I see that we need upgrades to the roster. That's where the biggest improvements are going to come. We need quality size, PG, SG and quality depth. If i'm Donnie that's what I would be looking to do over the next 2 years. Then this team will be a bonafide title team.

I agree the roster is still a work in progress and depending on who we pick up should determine if MDA continues as our coach. Melo is a half court player so MDA's system does not really compliment him. That is to say the biggest reason for keeping MDA is his system but only if we have the right players. If we pick up a CP3(or competent pass first PG) and a center who can run the floor I think MDA should stay but hirer a defensive coach to help fill his gaps.

I agree the roster is still a work in progress and depending on who we pick up should determine if MDA continues as our coach. Melo is a half court player so MDA's system does not really compliment him. That is to say the biggest reason for keeping MDA is his system but only if we have the right players. If we pick up a CP3(or competent pass first PG) and a center who can run the floor I think MDA should stay but hirer a defensive coach to help fill his gaps.
The reason i want to keep MDA is because i think we're going to get CP3, and to be honest MDA never really had a solid center and I'm sure that if we had Deandre/Gasol that MDA would play him. The only way i could fully judge MDA is if we had a complete roster. And who knows maybe we can hire Mike Brown as an assistant?

Red

TYPE-A

Then you can't competently analyze late game situations, and strategies. When a team is leading under a minute

and plays like backdoor alleyoops are ran with success taking less than 1sec off the clock

Or when players fail to realize to foul on an inbounds

Or when a coach decides to NOT use "a foul to give" as a strategy whe appropriate

Or when an effective game winning shot or play is very simple and ineffective

That's coaching. And its coaching 101.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. IF Melo who will be here FIVE years ISN'T a D'Antoni player, or not "the right player", then that would conclude Mike goes. And you just stated that as the case.

Hiring a defensive coach is a mindboggling statement and another professing of your suport because you are well aware of 1)he refused in PHX, 2)he was asked and he assumed that meant "we don't know what the h*ll we're doing, 3)if he wanted that he would've done it already, and 4)he is obviously stubborn

Yur rebuttle regarding "no one expected us to be his good" or we should be happy, we're overachieving is moot considering No One Knew Melo would be traded for, thus the expectations changed.

By clammoring for "better players" and "more size" yu are essentially saying what I've suspected for a while...

That good enough players can mask the deficiencies of this coach such as Nash.

And that's just it, a leader like Billups, players Like Nas and Melo have shown they can win inspite of Mike's limitations. They make the decisions and are better suited for success, because this coach is not as capable as advertised.

So yeah better players would make us and ANY team better, duh! But that really is saying inspite of the coach, he can only impact a team so far. Its a referendum on his skills.

I don't see an "offensive genius", a motivator, a game planner and changer. I see an average coach with an unproven approach, stubborn enough to make the same mistakes, yielding the same results. Who can't be relied upon to strategise his team to victories and is bettr suited with players that can make those all important desicions sans his input.

Good coaches make a difference when it counts. They can ge poor squads to play above their expectations. They prepare and don't beat themselves. Mike needs a floor general to make the decisions he can't. Just as he needed floor generals to come in and set the tone defensively. He couldn't do it himself.

And although he gets the credit, after this many games and situations, its obvious for one he's a bit over-rated, and two guy's like Nash and Melo mask his deficiencies, making him look better.

Then you can't competently analyze late game situations, and strategies. When a team is leading under a minute

and plays like backdoor alleyoops are ran with success taking less than 1sec off the clock

Or when a coach decides to NOT use "a foul to give" as a strategy whe appropriate

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. IF Melo who will be here FIVE years ISN'T a D'Antoni player, or not "the right player", then that would conclude Mike goes. And you just stated that as the case.

Hiring a defensive coach is a mindboggling statement and another professing of your suport because you are well aware of 1)he refused in PHX, 2)he was asked and he assumed that meant "we don't know what the h*ll we're doing, 3)if he wanted that he would've done it already, and 4)he is obviously stubborn

Yur rebuttle regarding "no one expected us to be his good" or we should be happy, we're overachieving is moot considering No One Knew Melo would be traded for, thus the expectations changed.

By clammoring for "better players" and "more size" yu are essentially saying what I've suspected for a while...

And that's just it, a leader like Billups, players Like Nas and Melo have shown they can win inspite of Mike's limitations. They make the decisions and are better suited for success, because this coach is not as capable as advertised.

So yeah better players would make us and ANY team better, duh! But that really is saying inspite of the coach, he can only impact a team so far. Its a referendum on his skills.

I don't see an "offensive genius", a motivator, a game planner and changer. I see an average coach with an unproven approach, stubborn enough to make the same mistakes, yielding the same results. Who can't be relied upon to strategise his team to victories and is bettr suited with players that can make those all important desicions sans his input.

Good coaches make a difference when it counts. They can ge poor squads to play above their expectations. They prepare and don't beat themselves. Mike needs a floor general to make the decisions he can't. Just as he needed floor generals to come in and set the tone defensively. He couldn't do it himself.

And although he gets the credit, after this many games and situations, its obvious for one he's a bit over-rated, and two guy's like Nash and Melo mask his deficiencies, making him look better.
And who do you suppose we replace him with? there really isn't any good options.

Phil Jackson - going to retire
JVG - i doubt he's coming back
Mark Jackson - seems to enjoy his broadcasting job and has no experience
Patrick Ewing - ehhh

honestly, I think it has more to do with Doc's excellent playcalling in those situations then D'Antoni making poor play calls, if that makes sense. But i do have to agree with what you said about fouling when we need to.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

No I am not. Melo is perfectly capable of playing with in this system evidenced by his increased 3point% and attempts. With the right PG he will thrive in transition and thrive off the pull up. That is not to say I am ignorant to how he has played thus far in has career or that he is an exceptional ISO player. Further the flip side to that coin is that our other franchise player is NOT a halfcourt player and is tailor made for MDA's system. Out of both players I think Melo is more equipped to adapt and again with the right PG will thrive.

Yet you have admitted on more than one occasion that MDA has adapted. Further we are now playing the best defense in almost a decade and the trend started before the playoffs and before the trade. It is a work in progress that is mostly dependent on the roster. That said, I think we all know defense is not MDA's strong suit so if he can hire a defense coach that will be a good thing. MDA is not stupid and wants to win. There were many other factors to his decision to leave Phoenix and I think you know that even if now you are pretending you don't to further a point.

We had a winning record and the 6th seed prior to the trade. Further, the trade if anything disrupted the chemistry that was built and lead to a losing streak that might never had occurred.

No, I am looking at our roster and concluding it is not complete or balanced. Are you arguing that it is?

No one is saying that elite players can't win with other competent coaches or that MDA is the only competent coach. Your statement is a non-point that means nothing. Shaq won without Phil Jackson...does that mean PHil Jackson is useless?

That is fine, your opinion is well documented by the 50 threads you have created on the subject. I see many faults in MDA and will shed no tears to see him go. I merely try to bring context and truth to a debate that seems more focused on preformed bias and emotion then to actual facts. I see irrational hatred and blame lumped on a coach because of 2 years of losses in a rebuilding phase. I also see credit given to players when we win and blame given to the coach when we lose. I see a complete disregard for nuance and arguments whittled down to black and white without shades of gray.

Any coach needs competent players and a fully formed roster. I look at a coach who has had one changing roster after another who has not been given time to actually get his system or chemistry fully implemented. When your longest tenured player is a second year 2nd rounder how can you expect a team to play like a well oiled machine? It takes time and it takes a complete roster, two things MDA has yet to have in NYC. Further, he has this team committed and we nearly won both games in Boston. We have a winning record and are the 6th seed, something you concluded was impossible a few short months ago.

Toons

is the Bo$$
]

so does david lee's tip in make larry brown a bad coach and isiah thomas a good coach?

inexperience, we are a young team

mike is not the only coach that doesnt do that

thats his philosophy, he trusts the players and their on court decisions

nash and melo arent defensive players tho

we have the worst centers in the playoffs, and argueably the worst shooting guard and the youngest starting pg....(i think) give the team and the coach a break.

Red

TYPE-A
No I am not. Melo is perfectly capable of playing with in this system evidenced by his increased 3point% and attempts. With the right PG he will thrive in transition and thrive off the pull up. That is not to say I am ignorant to how he has played thus far in has career or that he is an exceptional ISO player. Further the flip side to that coin is that our other franchise player is NOT a halfcourt player and is tailor made for MDA's system. Out of both players I think Melo is more equipped to adapt and again with the right PG will thrive.

Yes, while Melo is equipped to adapt, that is in reference to the offensive system. A system that doesn't compliment us as a team because of its approach and inherent limitations. Those include needing one dimentional players to succeed, neglect promotion of production in the paint as conventional wisdom suggets is more conducive to success, wears players down, and cannot be relied upon in crunch time situations... hence the limitations.

Let alone the increased possessions for the opponent while fielding a one dimentional team unable to get stops defensively. The players needed to theoretically perform in this sytem far in the playoffs aren't available and who we have I the best we can get.

Yet you have admitted on more than one occasion that MDA has adapted. Further we are now playing the best defense in almost a decade and the trend started before the playoffs and before the trade. It is a work in progress that is mostly dependent on the roster. That said, I think we all know defense is not MDA's strong suit so if he can hire a defense coach that will be a good thing. MDA is not stupid and wants to win. There were many other factors to his decision to leave Phoenix and I think you know that even if now you are pretending you don't to further a point.

The trend? The stats say the trend equated to a bottom of the barrell defensive team.
It is a work in progress dependent on the roster is a total disregard of the coach and his duties. Its a round-about-way of admitting (as you have) that coach isn't suited to improve this team defense, but a player with those skills can. I think that's amessage in and of itself. Mike isn't an offensive coordinator with a limited role and respnsibility.

And considering those factors that led to his decision to leave PHX which I didn't intimate, the fact remains he denied an opportunity to get help where its needed, one multiple occasions. And in his words sees it as a slight on his abilities.

We had a winning record and the 6th seed prior to the trade. Further, the trade if anything disrupted the chemistry that was built and lead to a losing streak that might never had occurred.

No one "wins a 6th seed" in February. And as I've stated lower seeds especially with losng records in the East really isn't saying much. Granted, in relation to our history, we have improved. But what you haven't realized is using forward thinking even that 6th seed with how we achieved it (although it wasn't a lock) indicated issues exacerbated only in a playoff atmosphere, where mistakes must be minimalized.

And while chemistry is an issue for every coach and team, there is no room for chemistry excuses on the heels of poor decisions.

No, I am looking at our roster and concluding it is not complete or balanced. Are you arguing that it is?
[QUOTE/]

After being UP in two games under a minute, the incompletion or balanced reasoning holds no water. If it did, then you could say all we needed was a more complete, balanced roster to stop the mistakes made. That's not the case.

This coach had a 24-25 Playoff record (or close to that). That's almost 50 games of training to learn. Although our roster is somewhat new, the sitation isn't . After the previous experience, combined with 7 years as a coach, it is expected that Mike would be better at strategizing late game situations.

His bloated $6mil per salary also underscores that expectation.

No one is saying that elite players can't win with other competent coaches or that MDA is the only competent coach. Your statement is a non-point that means nothing. Shaq won without Phil Jackson...does that mean PHil Jackson is useless?
[QUOTE/]

I'm a bit lost on this one.

That is fine, your opinion is well documented by the 50 threads you have created on the subject. I see many faults in MDA and will shed no tears to see him go. I merely try to bring context and truth to a debate that seems more focused on preformed bias and emotion then to actual facts. I see irrational hatred and blame lumped on a coach because of 2 years of losses in a rebuilding phase. I also see credit given to players when we win and blame given to the coach when we lose. I see a complete disregard for nuance and arguments whittled down to black and white without shades of gray. [QUOTE/]

Your exaggeration by use of words such as hatred and blame is also noted, as was in your 50 previous posts on the topic. Again you and others need to make a distinction between Mike being a bad coach and not being who we need to succeed. The grey area is illustrated in the limited successes we've had snce his arrival. Imo it led to a false sense of security. Duhon starts out well- he's assumed to be the right fit. The Knicks rank #2 in offense, who needed Melo? The Knicks make the playoffs in the East, we must be on the right track. That's not the total picture.

Usng those examples: Duhon fizzled due to over use and fatigue. We rank#2 in offense, but 28th in defense. We make the playoffs, but blew opportunites to succeed due to lack of preparation.

When we take the entire picture into account, depending on your standards and preference, it can be judged both ways.

When I consider the players we need, I look at the players we could've had, then look at why we don't have them, and it leads back to Mike. Are you disputing that? If not then there is no more needed player argument.

When I consider alternative coaching decisions that could've been made, ie... late game fouling (when there's one to give) again it leads back to coach and his approach. Are you disputing this?

If not then you can't argue there is unwarranted "blame", because the person that could of made the difference was coach.

Any coach needs competent players and a fully formed roster. I look at a coach who has had one changing roster after another who has not been given time to actually get his system or chemistry fully implemented. When your longest tenured player is a second year 2nd rounder how can you expect a team to play like a well oiled machine? It takes time and it takes a complete roster, two things MDA has yet to have in NYC. Further, he has this team committed and we nearly won both games in Boston. We have a winning record and are the 6th seed, something you concluded was impossible a few short months ago.

Yes again you are stating the obvious but you are neglecting the actual point. Not only does Mike have competent players he is the most responsible for not using them more effectively. They fell short of his standards, that was his decision.

But those players have absolutely nothing to do with his coaching strategy and in game decisions. The only difference as I have stated is a better player has more likely chance to succeed, but even this doesn't absolve coach for these poor choices.

A roster with Melo, Billups, Amare etc... is more than enough to succeed as you have witnessed. Mike has to get part of the credit for imprved play as everyone also, but being outcoached and not having talent is two different things.

I'm not even saying MDA sucks, but I think its apparent he is over-rated. Those special players you clammor for are needed to mask his limitations not accentuate and perpetuate his abilities.

Its not a complaint. Actually they gave me what I asked for, being scrappy, gritty, and fight. I'm good with that. But my overall analysis and historic reference leads me to warrant an upgrade at the coach position to succed further, even with this exact roster.

Are you disputing that?

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Yes, while Melo is equipped to adapt, that is in reference to the offensive system. A system that doesn't compliment us as a team because of its approach and inherent limitations. Those include needing one dimentional players to succeed, neglect promotion of production in the paint as conventional wisdom suggets is more conducive to success, wears players down, and cannot be relied upon in crunch time situations... hence the limitations.

There are limitations to every system. Do you think Phil Jackson would have had such success with Rip Hamilton in the triangle over MJ or Kobe? Of course not yet no one looks at Phil Jackson as overrated.

MDA's system is actually the antithesis of having one dimensional players and is actually predicated on two way players who can do multiple things. MDA does not neglect production in the paint. Amare has lead the league in points scored in the paint on several occasions and is number 3 in foul shot attempts this year.

Execution comes down to the players and when you don't have a floor general who can breakdown a defense and setup his teammates then they will struggle. Further Boston is #1 ranked offense this year and we have been shorthanded and effed by the refs each game. That is not to say MDA did not make any mistakes but to suggest had he coached perfectly that players would have automatically executed is nonsense.

Let alone the increased possessions for the opponent while fielding a one dimentional team unable to get stops defensively. The players needed to theoretically perform in this sytem far in the playoffs aren't available and who we have I the best we can get.

With defensive players and commitment we can defend just fine in this system. We have shown that much in games and under his tenure in Phoenix. Again, the Suns were an underrated defensive team and got mislabeled because of the high scoring averages that more possessions brings.

The trend? The stats say the trend equated to a bottom of the barrell defensive team.
It is a work in progress dependent on the roster is a total disregard of the coach and his duties. Its a round-about-way of admitting (as you have) that coach isn't suited to improve this team defense, but a player with those skills can. I think that's amessage in and of itself. Mike isn't an offensive coordinator with a limited role and respnsibility.

Yes trend as in we were showing more and more defensive intensity even with injuries and a team filled with lackluster defenders. Further we have played superb defense so far against Boston.

I am not disregarding anything, it factually is a work in progress and our defense factually is dependent on the players who are responsible for defending.

No one "wins a 6th seed" in February. And as I've stated lower seeds especially with losng records in the East really isn't saying much. Granted, in relation to our history, we have improved. But what you haven't realized is using forward thinking even that 6th seed with how we achieved it (although it wasn't a lock) indicated issues exac

I never said they won anything in February. You claimed that one can't conclude they exceeded expectations because no one knew we would get Melo. I merely pointed out that prior to Melo we did have a winning record and did hold the 6th spot. That was retained after a rough transition that I pointed out may have actually lead to more games lost than might not have happened had we not traded for Melo and Billups.

And while chemistry is an issue for every coach and team, there is no room for chemistry excuses on the heels of poor decisions.

Chemistry, knowing your roster and understanding how the pieces work takes time which MDA has not had and does indeed limit mistakes once achieved. Again, TD is the longest tenured Knick!

After being UP in two games under a minute, the incompletion or balanced reasoning holds no water. If it did, then you could say all we needed was a more complete, balanced roster to stop the mistakes made. That's not the case.

Dude, are you honestly trying to say that complete roster does not effect the execution down the stretch? Especially against a veteran deep team that has played with each other for years like Boston. Come on man! Examples:

Had we a complete roster that would include a potential center that COULD have stopped KG's go ahead basket.

Had we a complete roster that would include a potential pass first PG it is possible that Melo receives the ball in better position then 5 feet beyond the arc.

Not to mention that in game 2 Boston would not have the luxury to bum rush Melo had Amare and Billups been there as scoring threats spreading the floor.

I'm a bit lost on this one.

You cited players who have had success after MDA as some proof that MDA had nothing to do with their initial success. I was merely pointing out that SHaq had success after Phil Jackson but no one would attack Phil like you are trying to do with MDA over that fact.

When I consider the players we need, I look at the players we could've had, then look at why we don't have them, and it leads back to Mike. Are you disputing that? If not then there is no more needed player argument.

What could we have had? I look at a core of Melo and Amare is second only to the Heat moving forward. We lack depth not because of MDA but as a result of the short term sacrifice needed to acquire those players. Any other players we may have had would certainly have been traded to get Melo so what is your point?

When I consider alternative coaching decisions that could've been made, ie... late game fouling (when there's one to give) again it leads back to coach and his approach. Are you disputing this?

No but lets not pretend there isn't an alternative philosophy to fouling late because there is. Further, "fouls to give" is risky because often players anticipate the foul and draw a shooting foul with some acting. I'm not saying either is the right philosophy but again there are two schools of thought and either has the potential to win or lose a game depending on the outcome.

Yes again you are stating the obvious but you are neglecting the actual point. Not only does Mike have competent players he is the most responsible for not using them more effectively. They fell short of his standards, that was his decision.

I look at our players and the only really competent players are being maximized. Melos numbers are up and Amare has been unstoppable. Shaun Williams and TD are having career years, Turiaf is doing what he does best(when healthy) so I fail to see your point.

A roster with Melo, Billups, Amare etc... is more than enough to succeed as you have witnessed. Mike has to get part of the credit for imprved play as everyone also, but being outcoached and not having talent is two different things.

You are undervaluing the impact that complimentary role players have on the success of a team. Further, I have made my case on Billups and even if you disagree with my points you can't ignore that Billups has been injured. Including him as proof we have a core to compete when he has been injured is dishonest.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

The Knicks are great. Antoni sucks, though. 68% of the fans agree with me.

P.S.-The Knicks' 6th seed is a complete joke. They'd be 10th place, if they were out west.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
And who do you suppose we replace him with? there really isn't any good options.

Phil Jackson - going to retire
JVG - i doubt he's coming back
Mark Jackson - seems to enjoy his broadcasting job and has no experience
Patrick Ewing - ehhh

honestly, I think it has more to do with Doc's excellent playcalling in those situations then D'Antoni making poor play calls, if that makes sense. But i do have to agree with what you said about fouling when we need to.
There's a ton of guys out there, your list is a homer list, guys that have ties to NY. How about Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, Rick Adelman, John Calapari just off the top of my head. Monty Williams also proved you can find a good assistant to do the job, I am sure there are guys that the mgts around the league are aware of.

Mark Jackson is not one of those guys, if he wants a head coach job he should become an asst somewhere and pay his dues, criticizing defenses sitting in his ESPN chair does not qualify him to be a head coach of an NBA team.

Red

TYPE-A
There are limitations to every system. Do you think Phil Jackson would have had such success with Rip Hamilton in the triangle over MJ or Kobe? Of course not yet no one looks at Phil Jackson as overrated.

MDA's system is actually the antithesis of having one dimensional players and is actually predicated on two way players who can do multiple things. MDA does not neglect production in the paint. Amare has lead the league in points scored in the paint on several occasions and is number 3 in foul shot attempts this year.

I don't assume there is a system devoid of limitations. What I do notice is how the limits of this system cause ancillary effects throughout the team, fatigue and injury being an example.

Phil can't be considered over-rated because he has performed the best. Over rating assumes a player or coach isn't as good as thought of.

Scoring in the paint resulting from the P&R isn't the same as using bigs effectively on the block. So yes Amare who draws fouls may score in the paint- the limitation is illustrated in the offensive fouls he gets by having to be mobile and drive, and increases the likelyhood of injury.

On Kobe or MJ, there are ways to decipher a coaches accumen regardless of his personnel. This includes knowing how to save time outs and using them proprly or deciding to foul. These decisions have nothing to do with talent, and that's the issue, the decisions.

Now when you look at it, Mike's decisions are based on his approach and philosophy primarily, not his players. His approach and philosophy lead to many not so obvious decisions but when things go south, no one wants to attribute that to his approach.

This is illustrated in things like, drafting Gallo, or DNP'ing Randolph etc...
These were coaching decisions as was not fouling with one to give. Analyze this and it comes back to his approach.

Execution comes down to the players and when you don't have a floor general who can breakdown a defense and setup his teammates then they will struggle. Further Boston is #1 ranked offense this year and we have been shorthanded and effed by the refs each game. That is not to say MDA did not make any mistakes but to suggest had he coached perfectly that players would have automatically executed is nonsense.

I'M NOT SURE I DID THAT. You mention the ned for a floor general, but when it was pointed out that that is exactly what Billups is, you had other plans.

With defensive players and commitment we can defend just fine in this system. We have shown that much in games and under his tenure in Phoenix. Again, the Suns were an underrated defensive team and got mislabeled because of the high scoring averages that more possessions brings.

That's just it. On one hand you say with who we have we can defend just fine, but before you were saying we need more. Don't get me wrong, first I agree we need a true center, and really I'm not blaming coach for anything even though I feel he was outcoached, but middle of the road isn't a mislable.

Yes trend as in we were showing more and more defensive intensity even with injuries and a team filled with lackluster defenders. Further we have played superb defense so far against Boston.

I am not disregarding anything, it factually is a work in progress and our defense factually is dependent on the players who are responsible for defending.

I never said they won anything in February. You claimed that one can't conclude they exceeded expectations because no one knew we would get Melo. I merely pointed out that prior to Melo we did have a winning record and did hold the 6th spot. That was retained after a rough transition that I pointed out may have actually lead to more games lost than might not have happened had we not traded for Melo and Billups.

Chemistry, knowing your roster and understanding how the pieces work takes time which MDA has not had and does indeed limit mistakes once achieved. Again, TD is the longest tenured Knick!

Dude, are you honestly trying to say that complete roster does not effect the execution down the stretch? Especially against a veteran deep team that has played with each other for years like Boston. Come on man! Examples:

Had we a complete roster that would include a potential center that COULD have stopped KG's go ahead basket.

Had we a complete roster that would include a potential pass first PG it is possible that Melo receives the ball in better position then 5 feet beyond the arc.

Not to mention that in game 2 Boston would not have the luxury to bum rush Melo had Amare and Billups been there as scoring threats spreading the floor.

You cited players who have had success after MDA as some proof that MDA had nothing to do with their initial success. I was merely pointing out that SHaq had success after Phil Jackson but no one would attack Phil like you are trying to do with MDA over that fact.

What could we have had? I look at a core of Melo and Amare is second only to the Heat moving forward. We lack depth not because of MDA but as a result of the short term sacrifice needed to acquire those players. Any other players we may have had would certainly have been traded to get Melo so what is your point?

No but lets not pretend there isn't an alternative philosophy to fouling late because there is. Further, "fouls to give" is risky because often players anticipate the foul and draw a shooting foul with some acting. I'm not saying either is the right philosophy but again there are two schools of thought and either has the potential to win or lose a game depending on the outcome.

I look at our players and the only really competent players are being maximized. Melos numbers are up and Amare has been unstoppable. Shaun Williams and TD are having career years, Turiaf is doing what he does best(when healthy) so I fail to see your point.

You are undervaluing the impact that complimentary role players have on the success of a team. Further, I have made my case on Billups and even if you disagree with my points you can't ignore that Billups has been injured. Including him as proof we have a core to compete when he has been injured is dishonest.

Here's the best way I can put it.... first Mike isan't a bad coach, he doesn't suck, and really even if we get eliminated, I saw enough fight and potential to be satisfied, but...

There are a million ways to skin a cat, right? So here's an analogy:

If I said choose your best way to drive down a mountain, and there were bike paths, roads, and many obsticals to navigate; many different choices may be used. Many factors would be considered. Is this a race or time limit, is your vehicle equipped for off-road etc... (stay with me)

Then I said your fastest way to get down the mountain. Some might calculate driving time, biking time, can they climb etc...

Then I gave you historic stats saying MOST choose to drive even though its longer, but safer. Some have tried hiking but they took days, and no one has biked down without failure although its not impossible.

Well Mike is the one who chooses to bike it. Sure he may make it. But by the time he does, he and his bike are mangled to sh*t!

Mike doing things unconventionally can probably get there, but everyone who has done it didn't do it that way. A mistake here and there and it adds up.

For us I see squandered drafting opportunities, overuse injures, poor financial managment in terms of assets, lost winnable opportunities, reduction of player moral, etc...

All this plus more, all because he decided to bike down that mountain.

Now, some things actually worked out in our favor, thank goodness, can't complain. But what I can say is ok you chose the difficult route, and came out bruised and battered, but got somewhere.

As a decision maker (if I were), I would have the ultimate goal in mind. And I would know (like you) we ain't there yet, there's still work to be done, still more mountains to navigate. Knowing Mike is prevy to the difficult unconventional route, knowing there is little to no margin for error, why would I continue to emplore such techniques?

In business, you maximize your assets and returns. You do everything possible to reduce risk to promote maximum efficiency. This approach has too many risks involved, too many ancillary obstacles created and is not as proven as other methods. When we were desperate, we took desperate measures.

Currently we are in the black, and from a business standpoint that would dictate taking a less riskier approach. That's what I feel we need. Sure we get down the mountain with Mike, but bruised and battared and weak. When we have a chance to invest in a more efficient, responsible, reduced risk opportunity, that is what would be best.

No offense to Mike.