Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards 8:00 pm 1/19/2017 [Game#44]

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like this should have been called a tech. I'm going to check the daily 2 minute report to see if they looked at this.

Section IV?The Coach and Others
a. The coach?s position may be on or off the bench from the 28' hash mark to the base-
line. They are permitted between the 28' hash mark and the midcourt line to relay informa-
tion to players but must return to the bench side of the 28' hash mark immediately or be
called for a non-unsportsmanlike technical foul. A coach is not permitted to cross the mid-
court line and violators will be assessed an unsportsmanlike technical foul immediately. All
assistants and trainers must remain on the bench.
Coaches and trainers are not permitted to
go to the scorer?s table, for any reason, except during a dead ball

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Thank You ...

John Wall wanted this back to back win more than anyone on the Knicks team!
John Wall has been on a (All-Star) mission the last 13 games playing outstanding b.ball to take the Wiz on a 10-3 run.

Our star tandem Melo & Rose has to answer for the Knicks 3-12 run the last 15 games SMH
Wall beasted and makes game winning plays on both ends, DRose and Melo not so much.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
We just can't seem to get Melo and Rose clicking at the same time.... and even when both are carrying the load they both have flopped at end of games...

There's been about 8 games where Rose or Melo or KP missed a shot or turned ball over with game on the line....

A series of unfortunate events has taken what should be a .550-.600 team and buried then to 6-7 games under....

It boils down to fact that the system is terrible (forcing the triangle, occasional pick and roll, lots of ISO).... also, this team has only played together 40 times (whereas a wAS have seasons under their belt).

mafra

Legend
Wall beasted and makes game winning plays on both ends, DRose and Melo not so much.

Last 4-5 years, Wall and Melo tied in shooting % the final 24 seconds in close games... crazy right. Almost identical. He was great (except when he missed that shot when KP was on him).

Rose has been our best 4th quarter producer, for the most part...should've went to him (not Melo) when we were down 1....

It is what it is.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Looks like this should have been called a tech. I'm going to check the daily 2 minute report to see if they looked at this.

a. The coach?s position may be on or off the bench from the 28' hash mark to the base-
line. They are permitted between the 28' hash mark and the midcourt line to relay informa-
tion to players but must return to the bench side of the 28' hash mark immediately or be
called for a non-unsportsmanlike technical foul. A coach is not permitted to cross the mid-
court line and violators will be assessed an unsportsmanlike technical foul immediately. All

The play was so egregious NBA should almost vacate the win and either replay it or forfeit game.... you can't allow that to happen.

Not shocked it wasn't called or that ref assisted the coach in getting off the court.

Take that loss in MIL, the Bucks had to foul.... down 1 with 11 seconds left.... Greek Freek obviously fouled Rose, and did it with an exaggerated motion (swipe down).... Ref didn't want to call a foul on the home court star player, so let the ref just let the play go on and made up for it by just awarding ball to NY (and this killed NY bc then kidd replayed it and ball was given to MIL bc it went off of Rose, but was given to NY as a makeup call)...

BUT.... Last night.... in MSG, ref calls foul on melo and sends Wall to FT with 24nSeconds and trailing by 1.... terrible. I wasn't even sure it was a shooting foul anyway (if it was a foul).... he was driving.... fair play, especially given how the game was call last night, was to just award WAS ball out of bounds.... but.... nope....
So it goes as NY fans.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Mafra The rule is there in black and white so why wasn't it called. I assume that a working pro ref should know the NBA rule book inside and out. They certainly know the rule about player contact just ask Austin Rivers who didn't get a pass when he made contact with that ref unintentionally. Lot of improvement needs to be done with this refereeing by the league, they have that replay center and all these cameras at the arenas, put it to use.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Mafra The rule is there in black and white so why wasn't it called. I assume that a working pro ref should know the NBA rule book inside and out. They certainly know the rule about player contact just ask Austin Rivers who didn't get a pass when he made contact with that ref unintentionally. Lot of improvement needs to be done with this refereeing by the league, they have that replay center and all these cameras at the arenas, put it to use.

Amen.... not like ref "missed" it or couldn't see it.... he is seen shoving coach off the court.

And why can't they review it? Right?

Again, it's why I always harp on this: NY plays 82 road games. Incredible!

tiger0330

Legend

NBA 2 minute report looked at it and said it should have been a tech on that play.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/01/L2M-WAS-NYK-01-19-17.pdf

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
From ESPN

"The NBA said on Friday that Washington Wizards assistant coach Sidney Lowe should have been assessed a technical foul for standing on the court in the final seconds of Thursday night's win over the New York Knicks, and fined both Lowe and the team.

The league fined Lowe $5,000 for "standing on the playing court and potentially impacting game action," and the Wizards $15,000.

Knicks guard Courtney Lee said after the loss that Lowe's presence and shouting as if he were a defender influenced his decision to not shoot a potential game-tying 3-pointer in the frantic final seconds of the game, which the Wizards won 113-110.

The NBA, in its Last Two Minute Report, said Lowe was "standing on the floor close to Lee for several seconds and should have been assessed a technical foul."

----
Big deal, right?

Billionaire owner or millionaire player will pay the fine.... but they got away with playing with 6 defenders....
With so little risk of penalty and reward to bank a win worth it.... why not do it more huh?

Terrible job by NBA.

Broadway

All Star
That's a no brainer should've been called but coaches are on the court all the time and rarely called for these tech's. Eric Spolstra(actually has a habit of yelling at opposing players during play execution), Thibs, Malone, Casey, Kerr, Rivers, Stevens, Jason Kidd are notorious doing similar and/or on court in game and I don't like it at all.

Not why we lost(keep in mind Wiz were up 1, no guarantee we convert the play anyway or potential tech). We deserved a fair shot but with bad teams they invent bad losses and bad losses are invented upon them.

And no we don't play 82 road games because once again refs are admitting their errors league wide. For the record John Wall also double dribbled going past Jennings, no call. I thought Milsap fouled Rose the other night when we lost against the Hawks, refs said they got the call right. Tig provided the pdf link here that shows they goofed again but I went through a quick exercise just to see how notorious they are.

On my MacBook Pro I went to the official.nba.com site and did a Command-F search for each team to see who shows up on the report most since they implemented this last yr, including playoff games

82+82 = 164 Reg, No real truth to playoff games increasing the frequency of showing from team-to-team. Matter of fact many non playoff teams have more instances of showing, meaning less games played but higher number of reports. Numbers goes as follows...

Raps = 62
Celtics = 54
Knicks = 49
Sixers = 9
Nets = 39

Cavaliers = 49
Pacers = 57
Bulls = 62
Bucks = 53
Pistons = 45

Hawks = 59
Wizards = 60
Hornets = 49
Magic = 53
Heat = 61

Jazz = 49
Thunder = 60
Nuggets = 52
Blazers = 50
Wolves = 52

Warriors = 45
Clippers = 49
Kings = 50
Lakers = 39
Suns = 46

Spurs = 43
Rockets = 64
Grizzlies = 61
Pelicans = 55
Mavericks = 56

It happens guys and it sucks, we've had our poor share this yr for sure...but at the end of the day it comes down to us as fans holding this team's/org's feet to the fire for being bad at basketball and delivering an awful product yr end, yr out.

We're always in last possession situations, Why?

We don't execute plays down the stretch with poise, Why?

Why were Rose and Hornacek arguing with each other in the Hawk game after Schoeder hit the 3?

Why would Courtney Lee pass to Jennings of all players on a final shot? Why was Jennings on the court period, especially if you factor more than 1 attempt on final possession?

Let me ask you guys this, be honest. Did you see the coach on the floor real time before any of this was caught in a still shot? I bet not! Do refs make a habit in any game you watch of making calls of any type on final possessions of games? Nope they don't!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Refs are not the reason why NYK suck.... just adds another layer of agitation to an already jaded and disgruntled fan base.

I thought last night was a textbook game for solid officiating.... up until the final minute.

It's just that calls are supposed to even out and they aren't this year. It just seems like Melo never catches a break from the zebras. Perhaps it's bc of the low BBall IQ.... just not savvy enough to be subtle.... who knows. It's just when do we get a win b/c refs blow it?

Like you said, they missed an obvious technical, a double dribble, perhaps a reach in on wall, and then they called reach in on Melo.... they also let NY play final minutes thinking they had an extra point. That's a lot stacked against the home team, who was playing a team with 4 road wins all year.

Coaches are on the floor a lot but mostly head coaches. This was an assistant coach.... big difference... and it was in half court setting, final possession of game, and he's practically guarding a player. I didn't notice it at first but it was bc I was shocked Melo was driving (and thinking the fool was about to attempt a 2-point shot)... but it's obvious how that could de so distractful to CL.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
?I?m hearing somebody right next to me saying, ?I?m here! I?m here! I got your stunt!? ? said Lee, who appeared to have a momentary wide open look before driving and passing to Brandon Jennings with the move resulting in a turnover. ?So I don?t shoot it, I drop the ball thinking it is going to be a double close out and I try to make a play to Brandon. I think he bobbled the ball a little bit and that is the end of the game. Come to find out it was the assistant coach, not a player.?

?I thought it was one of their players because I was getting ready to shoot ? so I shot-faked and drove. I still should have shot,? Lee said. ?I don?t know if it was part of the defensive scheme for a coach to be out there saying that and being on the floor standing next to me but it happens. We lost. I should have shot it.?

Broadway

All Star
Refs are not the reason why NYK suck.... just adds another layer of agitation to an already jaded and disgruntled fan base.

I thought last night was a textbook game for solid officiating.... up until the final minute.

It's just that calls are supposed to even out and they aren't this year. It just seems like Melo never catches a break from the zebras. Perhaps it's bc of the low BBall IQ.... just not savvy enough to be subtle.... who knows. It's just when do we get a win b/c refs blow it?

Like you said, they missed an obvious technical, a double dribble, perhaps a reach in on wall, and then they called reach in on Melo.... they also let NY play final minutes thinking they had an extra point. That's a lot stacked against the home team, who was playing a team with 4 road wins all year.

Coaches are on the floor a lot but mostly head coaches. This was an assistant coach.... big difference... and it was in half court setting, final possession of game, and he's practically guarding a player. I didn't notice it at first but it was bc I was shocked Melo was driving (and thinking the fool was about to attempt a 2-point shot)... but it's obvious how that could de so distractful to CL.

Maybe waning moments we might be coming up short but game for game they are evening out. It's always going to be the case for the team you're rooting for. You have no real reason to or genuine interest to track calls of other teams game-to-game. It's only when they are playing your team and often times when the game is in balance.

Case in point...Mafra are you watching the Pacers vs Lakers game right now and tracking the calls? Probably not. I'm watching the game and I've already seen at least 2 blown no calls for Paul George. I like his game a lot but I'm not going to go on a tangent about it. Al Jefferson is traveling in the post, no call, Lou Williams is carrying the ball no call, Calderon got called for a phantom 3pt shot on Brooks only after Brooks missed the shot. Turner just got called for a foul on Randle on a clean block

Keep in mind too, Paul George is one who recently spoke out against the league and said "The Pacers are the little brother of the NBA and get no love from the league with calls"...Really PG13 yeah how's that working out for you right now? Weren't you the one who got that gift at the Garden 3yrs ago when Shumpert barely grazed your wrist to put you at the line to ice the game? You went to two Eastern Conference Finals early in your young career, what about Hibbert getting those straight up calls for most of the series we played against them? This is why I'll never respect incessant complaining/agenda driven complaints whether it's from a fan or player. They do even out, when you go outside your own team.

You just gotta accept this game for what it is as players and fans, otherwise you're simply being disingenuous and a town cryer. It's garbage to watch it play out some nights, no doubt. Maybe we can hope the game gets cleaned up as a whole but it starts with Silver publicly demanding excellence from the zebras in every game they officiate, instead repeating the BS they have the best professionals in all of sports.

When it comes to the New York Knicks it's all about this team striving to be "the model franchise" everything else will fall in place thereafter on and off the court.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Actually, being on the west coast,
I did watch a little of the GSW game (4th quarter) and watched some of the second quarter of the LAK game.

The league itself is becoming unwatchable, more so about the rules and the style, than bc of the refs. I can watch teams in the playoffs, but watching random regular season games is just too much right now (and I have league pass and get every game).

No doubt all teams in all sports
have players and fans that complain about calls. In a game,
There are what? 200 possessions? Tons of opportunities for bad calls.... I get that.

As a NYK fans, especially during the Melo era, it just seems late game calls mostly go against NYK.... remember game 6 in Indy, game 1 vs BOS (when Billups hurt himself).... but, ultimately, we only harp on refs bc players not mentally strong enough to overcome these calls.

As a franchise, I wonder if the president and star player even want to be here (but will stay bc if money and spite)....

For the first time in ages, even more so than the Gallo-Chandler years.... I think we see some nice young pieces in place.... right now is all about accountability and building to win come 2019 and beyond, when GSW and CLE will have reached their peak....

And to achieve this, nonsense is the thought we need to sell tickets and be somewhat relevant.... all these vet signings hurt team in long run.

If Walsh and Dantoni and Dolan did it right and sucked for 3-4 years.... Knicks would have Westbrook-Curry back court running SSOL together.

This is why we should get whatever we can for all these vets and just take our lumps for 2 more years as we accumulate talent. Then you strike and add some pieces in free agency.

Broadway

All Star
Actually, being on the west coast,
I did watch a little of the GSW game (4th quarter) and watched some of the second quarter of the LAK game.

The league itself is becoming unwatchable, more so about the rules and the style, than bc of the refs. I can watch teams in the playoffs, but watching random regular season games is just too much right now (and I have league pass and get every game).

No doubt all teams in all sports
have players and fans that complain about calls. In a game,
There are what? 200 possessions? Tons of opportunities for bad calls.... I get that.

As a NYK fans, especially during the Melo era, it just seems late game calls mostly go against NYK.... remember game 6 in Indy, game 1 vs BOS (when Billups hurt himself).... but, ultimately, we only harp on refs bc players not mentally strong enough to overcome these calls.

As a franchise, I wonder if the president and star player even want to be here (but will stay bc if money and spite)....

For the first time in ages, even more so than the Gallo-Chandler years.... I think we see some nice young pieces in place.... right now is all about accountability and building to win come 2019 and beyond, when GSW and CLE will have reached their peak....

And to achieve this, nonsense is the thought we need to sell tickets and be somewhat relevant.... all these vet signings hurt team in long run.

If Walsh and Dantoni and Dolan did it right and sucked for 3-4 years.... Knicks would have Westbrook-Curry back court running SSOL together.

This is why we should get whatever we can for all these vets and just take our lumps for 2 more years as we accumulate talent. Then you strike and add some pieces in free agency.

Couldn't agree with you more and it's the very reason I no longer order league pass and most certainly co-sign the very end of your post