The Big Pitch: Knicks Look To Celebs and Tycoons as Recruiters for James

Do we need Bosh already on board to entice The King?

• yay

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • nay

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Just Bosh? We need a full roster first and foremost!!!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • He's already a Knick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He knows that if he comes, others will follow. It's not an issue

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
:fellatio:
The Knicks have put together a committee filled with some of New York's biggest names to help bring free agents to the struggling basketball team.
Free agents, such as LeBron James, for instance.
"New York would be a great thing for LeBron," said Donald Trump, who has joined the committee along with a cavalcade of other Gotham notables, such as Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, Boomer Esiason and Spike Lee.
"He would take over the city," said Trump. Specifically addressing James, Trump said: "I am in many different cities, but I can tell you, LeBron, there is only one New York."

courted--300x300.jpg

Under the team's plan, the stars would meet with the free agents, tout the city and even show them around, sources said.
Chris Rock, who has also agreed to join the effort, knows just what he would say to LeBron.
"You really want to live in Cleveland? That's what I would tell him. Where do you want to live?" the comic told The Post.
The NBA's brightest young star's contract is up with the Cleveland Cavaliers. On July 1, he's a free agent, able to make a deal with a new team in another, possibly bigger market. Knick fans are hoping the bright lights and big city will lure him here.

The Knicks themselves cannot approach James or any other player before the free agency period begins. But they can start assembling their free-agent committee, which they hope will boost the chances of a hoops squad that finished a dismal 29-53 last season.
"We are in the process of assembling a committee of friends of the Knicks who are many of the city's most successful winners and leaders [and] who have thrived in the world's greatest city," said Knicks spokesman Barry Watkins.
"The enthusiastic response we have received from so many people wanting to help has been overwhelming and we look forward to working with this committee in various ways to show free agents that there is no better place to play and to win than in the world's most famous arena and in New York City."

images

The star-filled panel is built to grow and the team expects it to include talk-show host Charlie Rose, John McEnroe, Donny "The Big Idea" Deutsch, Whoopi Goldberg, Rangers Stanley Cup hero Mark Messier, former Giants Super Bowl winner Phil Simms and Knicks legends Willis Reed, Walt Frazier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/courted_by_stars_u2qtgaB3PkT1xmhwvgFg5L#ixzz0qvdpANtH

I hope that panel is built to grow. It's gonna take a lot to get this guy to bounce on Cleveland and to oust Chicago.

Fingers crossed, but I don't see it happening.:crossfingers:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I can think of a billion reasons.

Literally, a billion, because if he comes to New York, he will be in the company of some of the world's richest men.

Such as, I dunno, our Mayor, Mike Bloomberg, who has a net worth of 20 billion dollars and is the 8th richest American?

Just saying.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Is it really necessary to lose our dignity this offseason?

If he signs, great. If not, fine. F#ck him. We can still build a very good team without Lebron.

PG-Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

w/ Douglas, Chandler, Walker, Anthony Morrow and Tyrus Thomas off the bench.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

If he signs, great. If not, fine. F#ck him. We can still build a very good team without Lebron.

PG-Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

finally someone who agrees with me, seriously if we get him fine but we know what were gonna offer him and thats the max, and he knows that as well. he accepts cool if not well build a team that would smack em in the playoffs

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Steve Blake? Why not get Luke Ridnour instead?

But otherwise I agree with everything you've said.

EDIT:

Actually, I now see why not Luke Ridnour - he's not exactly a good defender, whereas Steve Blake is decent on that regard.

We need to get two-way players who can guard as well as score and distribute, and Blake is just that.

quiggle

Starter
this is sad when you need entertainers and politicians to lobby on a team's behalf to lure LeBron. shows how pitiful the organization is.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

PG-Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

It does seem a tad desperate. But after 10 years of unadulterated shit, how undignified is it to at least try? I don't think we can really hate on LeBron yet BTW. He's said barely anything or given any indication to anyone about what his plan is.

And haven't Memphis said outright that they'll match any offer for Rudy Gay?

Still, I agree. We can build a good team. Donnie Walsh has said that NY have numerous and varied alternate plans.

Shame about the picks though.

wnyknicksfan

Benchwarmer
Totally down with that except for the gay and Thomas gay's stats are identical to chandlers I'm not a fan of Thomas but 99 percent sure we will have him because walsh loves him Blake is a great option

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It's a good mesh of offense and defense. When you need some scoring go to the small/quick offensive lineup of:
PG-Blake
SG-Morrow
SF-Gay
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

When you need a stop, go with the defensive lineup of:
PG-Douglas
SG-Chandler
SF-Gay
PF-Thomas
C-Biedrens

PG-Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

Thats a team that will get raped in the second (or possibly first) round of the playoffs to the Celtics, Magic or Heat! I want a team that can go to the Eastern Confrence Finals atleast!

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: LeBron James
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Tyson Chandler

BENCH

2nd round pick 1 (Jordan Crawford)
2nd round pick 2 (Tiny Gallon)
Earl Barron
Wilson Chandler
Bill Walker
Eddie House
Jeff Foote (sign him if he goes undrafted)
Eddy Curry
Tracy McGrady

then next year we use Curry's Contract to ether get a better bench, or to sign Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
then next year we use Curry's Contract to ether get a better bench, or to sign Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant.

I see people say this all the time. Please explain how Curry's contract ($11.2 mil) can get us Carmelo Anthony ($17 mil) or Kevin Durant (not a free agent)?

Please provide factual information, not opinions pulled out of your ass.

moneyg

Starter
I see people say this all the time. Please explain how Curry's contract ($11.2 mil) can get us Carmelo Anthony ($17 mil) or Kevin Durant (not a free agent)?

ive been sayin this all along... the only way is if we save money from this year for next year..which im not oppose to doing if we dont get lebron and bosh. we still have to round out our roster with vet min contracts. so we will be over the cap next year.once we fill out our roster curry wont have any valus to us next year... we will be about a 64 million dollar team this year and when curry comes off we will be about 52 million which wont be that far under the cap considering that the cap will be lower next year than this year.:smokin:

Good point.

but thats still 11 million to work with for a Better Bench and PG.

NYKing

Rookie
Shame is the Knicks get 10 years without attending the play-offs !!!!!!

NY must do everything to bring LeBron ...

Because this is a chance to win a championship !

Cavs - keep LeBron
Celtics - Big Three + Rondo
Heat - Wade + Bosh or Boozer or Amare
Bulls - Rose + Noah + 1 Max (LeBron or Joe Johnson)
Nets - Lopez + Harris + pick 3 + cash from Russian tycoon
Wizards - Wall + Arenas

And you want the Knicks with:

PG -Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay​
SF-Gallo​
PF-Lee​
C-Biedrens​

w/ Douglas, Chandler, Walker, Anthony Morrow and Tyrus Thomas off the bench.​

Where comes the Knicks with this team ???

Would be another 10 years out of the play-offs or dying in the 1st phase.

Cavs - keep LeBron
Wizards - Wall + Arenas

PG -Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay​
SF-Gallo​
PF-Lee​
C-Biedrens​

Did you really just leave the Magic out after mentioning the Wizards, Nets, and Heat??

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Cavs - keep LeBron
Wizards - Wall + Arenas

PG -Steve Blake
SG-Rudy Gay​
SF-Gallo​
PF-Lee​
C-Biedrens​

Read my post dummie. I said if he comes then great.

Don't you think all of this begging is a little ridiculous? New Yorkers should be above this.

Read my post dummie. I said if he comes then great.

Don't you think all of this begging is a little ridiculous? New Yorkers should be above this.

I agree normaly were far above begging but this is a sapecial situation! We haven't been to the layoffs in 6 years, and haven't won a playoff game in 9! We have been the laughing stock of the NBA for 9 freaken years! There are little new York boys and girls who have no team or players to root for so they have all become Laker fans! When you go to Madison Square Garden, 80 percent of the fans are for the other team!

That can't happen anymore, and Tyrus Thomas and Steve Blake aren't going to change our future. It would be 2004 all over again. So this is the only situation where it's ok to begbecause our franchise pretty much depends on it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

I think what he means is that if we hold on to Curry's contract, it's an extra 11.2 million dollars off the salary cap.

Which means cap room, which means signing free agents (though Durant isn't one).

I think what he means is that if we hold on to Curry's contract, it's an extra 11.2 million dollars off the salary cap.

Which means cap room, which means signing free agents (though Durant isn't one).
Yep thats Exactly what I mean.

Thats 11.2 Million to improve our bench!!! with the Starters Already being

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: LeBron James
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: David Lee
C: Tyson Chandler

And also Already having the bench of

2nd round pick 1 (Jordan Crawford)
2nd round pick 2 (Tiny Gallon)
Earl Barron (minimum)
Wilson Chandler
Bill Walker (1 million)
Rafer Alston (Vets Minimum)
Jeff Foote (sign him at minimum if he goes undrafted)
Eddy Curry
Tracy McGrady (1mill with 2 mill playoff bonus)