Dolan tells fan: Knicks are the next Celtics

metrocard

Legend
James Dolan is not speaking to the media these days and he won’t give The Daily News the time of day. Our own Ian Begley had the audacity to ask Dolan a question following Friday’s win over Toronto and Ian was accused of being “disrespectful” and was lectured by one of Dolan’s P.R. people and by Garden security. I think the next time Ian even says hello to Dolan the Garden should take him to Times Square for a public stoning. That’ll teach him.

Dolan isn’t talking to the press because there is really nothing he can say. The days of Isiah Thomas “showing evident progress” and that Isiah “doesn’t really know how good a coach he is” are long over. Dolan’s not going there.

jamesdolanfan.jpgBut Dolan is pressing the flesh with the people who matter most: his customers. A gentleman named Mark Haverly (standing to Dolan’s right) ran into the Knicks’ top decision maker on the street during All-Star Weekend in New Orleans and had an interesting conversation with Dolan.

Here is Mark’s report:

“I explained I’m a long suffering Knicks fan and made reference to the suffering beginning around when he took over without saying it overtly. I said I appreciated the loyalty he clearly has, but at some point the results have to overrule loyalty, i.e. please fire Isiah.”

(Spoken like a true and honest Knicks fan.)

“He told me to be patient and said ‘look at the Celtics, where were they a year ago? Look at the Giants, where were they a year ago?’

“I politely explained, ‘Well, the difference with the Giants is they made the playoffs the last few years, you can’t say that. And the Celtics had cap space to acquire Garnett, you didn’t.’”

(Two great points by Mark here. But I’m going to give Dolan the benefit of the doubt on this one because he’s not about to tell a stranger that Isiah’s done after game No. 82. Chances are Dolan was simply trying to give a Knicks fan some hope while wishing that Mark, much like Ian, would just go away.

Then again, that Dolan would use the Celtics and Giants to support an argument that the Knicks will perform miracles next season tells you that Isiah and Dolan are still on speaking terms. Why? Because that utter nonsense can only originate from one person and that would be Isiah, who talks, and talks, and talks, and nothing he says ever makes sense or comes to fruition. Dolan deserves better.

Also, the Celtics didn’t have cap space to acquire Kevin Garnett; they used young assets, which is something the Knicks don’t have, either. But you get the picture.)

Now, back to Mark because it gets better. Haverly asked Dolan, who was accompanied by several Garden officials, “‘would you ever consider bringing back Jeff Van Gundy, a coach that could get these guys to play some defense?’” They all laughed at me. ‘He quit, there’s no coming back from that!’ Dolan said.”

(Man, Dolan still has a thing for Van Gundy, the one coach he had that actually won something. I guess if Jeff smiled, lied and collected fat paychecks as much as Isiah has under Dolan he’d have a banner hanging from the rafters.)

“I responded, ‘Well, yeah…but why did he quit? And why did Marv Albert quit?’ Dolan said in a wink wink kind of way, ‘Marv didn’t quit’ - implying he was fired.”

(Here is one indisputable fact: Marv doesn’t work at the Garden and Patrick Ewing doesn’t work at the Garden because the current regime cares little about Knicks history. Instead, they let a Detroit Piston player tell them how things work in New York.)

“I then made reference to all the good people that have left under his regime, the continued disgraceful record of both teams - save for the Rangers for one year maybe - and he again brought up the Celtics.

“So, for all us Knick fans out there I’m here to tell you there’s nothing to worry about…James Dolan himself told me next year we’ll be this year’s version of the Celtics. So about 40-10 come the break. No worries everybody, he’s got it all under control. He couldn’t quite (tell me) why this hasn’t happened in any of the previous years under his control. But since the Giants did what they did and the Celtics are doing what they are doing apparently next year it’s the Knicks turn.”

(Mark, that type of sarcasm will put you on the Garden’s “Watch List.” In fact, with this line of questioning Mark was safer on the streets of New Orleans than he would have been at Madison Square Garden. Mark even held his ground when a Garden official told him that the Knicks remain one of the top draws in the NBA.)

Here was Mark’s retort:

“That’s great, because as a sports fan it’s my goal every year to see my team at or near the top of the league in attendance. Eastern Conference standings be damned, we lead the league with 17,500 fools a game!”

Wow...I don't know where to start, I'll let you guys handle this one.

jamesdolanfan.jpg

Those two pussies couldn't even slash Dolan's throat, not one cut.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Great thread! I gave it 5 stars.
Jim Dolan and Isiah Thomas are currupt politicians. David Stern really needs to crack down on these two. They are trying to run a monarchy on an NBA franchise. If somebody doesn't stop them, Isiah will be with the Knicks until his contract expires in 2011. He might stay even longer.Jim Dolan is incompetent.He and Isiah are probably best friends, so he hooked him up with a job and a 24 million dollar contract.Dolan doesn't believe his lies. He's just feeding them to people so that they don't think for themselves and stand against this circus that he's conducting.Dolan doesn't even deserve to be a 1% owner of any franchise, let alone owner of an entire Knicks franchise.I hope this trend of curruption that has been haunting the Knicks over the last 7 years with Dolan, Layden, and Thomas does not spread to the other NBA teams, or any other sports team, for that matter.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well the picture that Metro has of Dolan sums it all up! Knicks fans hate Dolan, but they continue to support him. I mean we don't support him like those two clowns by taking pictures with him, but we continue to draw near sell out crowds, and we cheer for meaningless wins. He is a numbers driven guy, and like it was said wins and losses mean nothing to him, this team means nothing to him. Stern promised we would be better next season, and we all assumed it was due to he knowing that Isiah was going to be fired next year. But Dolan probably caught wind of that, and even if he were going to fire Isiah, now won't simply because he doesnt want anyone to think his hand was forced. Truth be told Isiah and Dolan deserve each other, but the Knick fans don't deserve anything they've done to us. How Walt Clyde Frazier hasnt quit after watching them destroy a team that he helped make great amazes me, and makes me respect him even more. I can't beleive our team is where it is now, I mean I thought it was bad when everyone was laughing at us, now people arent laughing they just feel sorry for our team. I wish the reporter asked him how it felt to be named the worst owner in Proffesional Sports by SI. If I were John Mara I would smack Dolan just for the comparison to his team.

Trin_Starr

Starter
When I first read it - I was like WTF is up with Dolan - but the more I look at it...It seems that he and Stern are finally working together to get the knicks back to prominence.
During the allstar break, they were both in the area and it seems that they were both best buds
nbacares_080221_2.jpg

Now Stern said that the knicks will be better in 2009.
Then Dolan says this...
Changes are happening. Does this mean that the knicks lottery pick will suddenly become the #1 overall pick???? who knows...
Will Isiah be fired and Colengalo hired? - I believe that's what will happen.
We all fault Dolan as being an idiot but with the right GM who KNOWS how to assemble a winning team - Dolan will spare no money in making sure it becomes a reality.

I don't think Dolan was saying this to hint that he is going to keep Isiah - I think he was saying it because the celts were horrible last season and with a couple of key moves - they became contenders. And so with the knicks horrible record this season - there is hope for next season.

metrocard

Legend
When I first read it - I was like WTF is up with Dolan - but the more I look at it...It seems that he and Stern are finally working together to get the knicks back to prominence.
During the allstar break, they were both in the area and it seems that they were both best buds
nbacares_080221_2.jpg

Now Stern said that the knicks will be better in 2009.
Then Dolan says this...
Changes are happening. Does this mean that the knicks lottery pick will suddenly become the #1 overall pick???? who knows...
Will Isiah be fired and Colengalo hired? - I believe that's what will happen.
We all fault Dolan as being an idiot but with the right GM who KNOWS how to assemble a winning team - Dolan will spare no money in making sure it becomes a reality.

I don't think Dolan was saying this to hint that he is going to keep Isiah - I think he was saying it because the celts were horrible last season and with a couple of key moves - they became contenders. And so with the knicks horrible record this season - there is hope for next season.

Excellent post that will raise alot of questions now.

Will Stern create a new rule related to the cap to benefit the Knicks?
WILL Knicks get the number 1 pick?(We're so bad it doesn't matter)

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It is thought by many that Marbury has dirt on Thomas but I'm starting to think Thomas has dirt on Dolan. At this point I don't see how he can justify going in the same direction. It's not working! Every year it seems like one player will come in and change everything. First it was Marbury, then Curry and Randolph. Now some people think it will be Artest. The savior rhetoric is dead. No single player can turn this around. But if Dolan only cares about selling tickets I can see why he doesn't feel an urgent need to make changes. Hopfully ticket sales will be way, way down next season. Dolan needs to be hit where it hurts, in the nuts, I mean pocketbook.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
This is not the first time he said something stupid like that. Maybe what Dolan wanted to say is that the Knicks are the 2006-2007 Celtics. I will agree with that. lol. what a dumb owner. His dad was a little more educated with the game of basketball, but clearly James Dolan isn't.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
Great article. jim dolan has ruined one of the most proudest franchises in basketball and all he cares about is isiah. its a shame.